ADVERTISEMENT

Is FSU the best team in the ACC?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
or Louisville? Thoughts on the Hokies?

Will UNC and Duke right their ships and be contenders?

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I like FSU right now, but when UNc's guys get some experience they will be hard to beat. Later in the year, I like UNc to win the ACC.

I like FSU right now, but when UNc's guys get some experience they will be hard to beat. Later in the year, I like UNc to win the ACC.
This Covid stuff really puts the teams that attract one and done players at a disadvantage. They have less time to mold a team out of strangers. I think UK is suffering from that.

This Covid stuff really puts the teams that attract one and done players at a disadvantage. They have less time to mold a team out of strangers. I think UK is suffering from that.
I agree and so is Duke. Really like Hurts fade away last night. That is an NBA/Dirk move and at 6'9" almost impossible to block.

I agree and so is Duke. Really like Hurts fade away last night. That is an NBA/Dirk move and at 6'9" almost impossible to block.
I think Duke's coach wanting to not play sends an awful message to his team that is struggling to find themselves.

ACC is a really weird conference this year. We've got a lot of good teams. Outside of Wake Forest, I think every team has enough talent to make the tournament. Seems like most of our schools are in the 21-50 range. Florida State and Virginia probably have the highest ceilings. Haven't seen enough of Louisville, but I suspect they'll be a contender for the ACC crown with the return of Malik Williams. Duke and UNC will both be okay, but I don't expect top 10 seasons from either side. Here's how I would rank the teams, as of today:

1. Florida State
2. Virginia
3. Louisville
4. North Carolina
5. Clemson
6. Duke
7. Syracuse
8. Georgia Tech
9. Virginia Tech
10. NC State
11. Pittsburgh
12. Miami
13. Notre Dame
14. Boston College
15. Wake Forest

Reactions: cdbearde and della
I think we are the best team right now, and we might be the best team even if Duke and UNC turn it around. I'd say our length is going to help us against both, especially Duke, and our only game is against them in about two weeks. If that game is in February then maybe it is a bit more daunting.

UNC has a great inside game but can't shoot from outside. We've shown the ability to be a dominant rebounding team so that should be a good matchup.

UVA will still run that pack line D but we did well against IU who isn't too shabby, and I still think they are offensively challenged despite being better than last year.

Our team really will come down to ability to stay consistent with timely outside shooting, and whether Barnes continues to elevate his game. If he plays like an All-American I can see us winning it all.

ACC is a really weird conference this year. We've got a lot of good teams. Outside of Wake Forest, I think every team has enough talent to make the tournament. Seems like most of our schools are in the 21-50 range. Florida State and Virginia probably have the highest ceilings. Haven't seen enough of Louisville, but I suspect they'll be a contender for the ACC crown with the return of Malik Williams. Duke and UNC will both be okay, but I don't expect top 10 seasons from either side. Here's how I would rank the teams, as of today:

1. Florida State
2. Virginia
3. Louisville
4. North Carolina
5. Clemson
6. Duke
7. Syracuse
8. Georgia Tech
9. Virginia Tech
10. NC State
11. Pittsburgh
12. Miami
13. Notre Dame
14. Boston College
15. Wake Forest
Thanks for the assessment.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think we are the best team right now, and we might be the best team even if Duke and UNC turn it around. I'd say our length is going to help us against both, especially Duke, and our only game is against them in about two weeks. If that game is in February then maybe it is a bit more daunting.

UNC has a great inside game but can't shoot from outside. We've shown the ability to be a dominant rebounding team so that should be a good matchup.

UVA will still run that pack line D but we did well against IU who isn't too shabby, and I still think they are offensively challenged despite being better than last year.

Our team really will come down to ability to stay consistent with timely outside shooting, and whether Barnes continues to elevate his game. If he plays like an All-American I can see us winning it all.
I like FSU's game and Barnes is something else. I wish UT/FSU played this year. I'd like to see that game.

The game at Clemson in a few weeks will be a great litmus test. They play good defense and a lot of guys. They got one off of us last year on a really acrobatic shot, so hopefully we don't go in there with a lack of remembrance and understanding the type of effort that will be needed.

I’m really feeling FSU as the team to beat in the ACC. I really didn’t understand the talking heads saying UVA was the favorite with the length and experience the Noles had coming in this year. Plus I’m a Hamilton fan since he’s a NC native.

Too early still. Starting in late Dec to late Jan, FSU has a run of ACC games that starts with Clemson and ends with Clemson. Included are games against Duke, UL, UNC, VT, Cuse, NCST... We’ll know all about FSU at the end of that run.

Our reward after that run is to play our rival Miami who will likely have all their injured players back and be full strength.

Damnit, Indiana had some good opportunities to beat FSU at FSU in overtime. One that would have been really nice on Selection Sunday.

The game at Clemson in a few weeks will be a great litmus test. They play good defense and a lot of guys. They got one off of us last year on a really acrobatic shot, so hopefully we don't go in there with a lack of remembrance and understanding the type of effort that will be needed.

Totally agree.

Saturday, Louisville will be playing Wisconsin minus 5 players. We’ll be definitely taking a loss because three are supposedly starters. 😩

Reactions: UL_1986 and della
So, we lost out on that possible match up as well as Gonzaga. Speaking of the Zags, they scheduled really strong opponents.

They just scheduled a game against Virginia yesterday. That matchup intrigues me. The #1 offense in America against the slowest pace team in America. The Zags need a game like this, to simulate the slow-down effect of that often occurs in tournament games. Don't think anyone can run with the Zags straight up. Can they adjust to a half-court game? Of course if the Zags gain an early 10-pt lead on Virginia, that would inevitably speed up the UVA tempo. Hope to see a close contest, if nothing else.

Yes they are as of today.

Duke
Unc
Louisville

Be interesting how they do from here.

I like
Virginia & Florida State
Then Duke and UNC before the rest..

I would slow down a little bit

Not looking impressive against a bottom half of the Conference AAC team.

A Top 15-20 team.
Unless you feel like the Indiana game was an anomaly. I haven't seen anything yet to say it wasn't because you are playing with GA Tech and UCF

1. Florida State
2. Virginia
3. Louisville
4. North Carolina
5. Clemson
6. Duke
7. Syracuse
8. Georgia Tech
9. Virginia Tech
10. NC State
11. Pittsburgh
12. Miami
13. Notre Dame
14. Boston College
15. Wake Forest
Did you not watch the acc/big ten beat down?

Did you not watch the acc/big ten beat down?

Big Ten won 7-5. Not sure what that has to do with my post, though. ACC lacks elite teams; I can easily concede that. We have a lot of good teams, with maybe a Sweet 16 potential, perhaps Elite 8 if things turn out really well for one school. But, we're not front-loaded like we usually are. This is a year where a 5 or 6 seed could just as well win the ACC Tournament.

Reactions: GE Nole
Totally agree. Seems FSU and UVA might be slightly ahead of the pack. Then UNC I’d say. Duke is still very new to me I haven’t seen them play a complete game yet. Louisville will hopefully be top half and make the tourney (or fall apart and self imposed a ban). Clemson will be tough bc they play such good D. Vtech will suprise a few teams, as will Cuse ND Pitt and Gtech.

Be very interesting who emerges on the right side of the bubble between Louisville/Clemson/Nd/Gtech/cuse/Pitt. I expect FSU duke uva unc to be tourney locks unless something very unfortunate happens.

I know nothing about ncstate and wake. Bc isn’t great but they play hard and make you earn it. But I assume those three will be the bottom of the conf.

But yea there doesn’t seem to be a natty contender in the acc this year. Still lots of time left though and never know how crazy March can get. (Unless ur sheriff who sees no randomness in the ncaaT ever lmao)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT