ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Look at CBB Referee Life

Point to where you said it was easy? You mean the part where you said:

Wouldn't this insinuate its easy?

LMAO at your comparison of "plastic surgery results", to that of CBB. I mean, you do realize how God damn stupid of a comparison that is----Right?

Where did I act like it was "classified"? I didn't? I said I choose not to share what we talk about. Meaning, I don't wanna tell your ass.

Actually, i do ref Pee-Wee football. Every Saturday, in Sept/Oct. 2nd grade thru 4th grade. A ****ing blast.
I think most people could do it, Borden. It’s not like your splitting the atom. I have always felt like 80% of the population can do what each other do for a living if they put the work in. Basketball officiating falls right into that.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
I think most people could do it, Borden. It’s not like your splitting the atom. I have always felt like 80% of the population can do what each other do for a living if they put the work in. Basketball officiating falls right into that.
Disagree. Anyone can call a travel...foul,,,,OOB..Learn the rules. Their applications, etc, etc...But not everyone can handle the atmosphere's....the coaches....doing so in front of thousands of people...Just like with being a cop, or a doctor, or a lawyer. Sure anyone can learn HOW to be----But not everyone can learn how to do it. And do so at a high level.

Agree to disagree.

Point to where you said it was easy? You mean the part where you said:
Yes, meaning it's something so easy anybody can learn how to do it. I thought that was obvious.

Your lack of reading comprehension only further advances my assessment that any dipshit can learn how to officiate basketball.

I bet you ref like Barney Fife policed Mayberry.

It’s just weird that you get so defensive over people having legitimate concerns with college officials but when we ask you what do you guys think about it you tell us I can’t speak about it.
I said I didn't want to. I never said I couldn't. I don't get defensive. I get annoyed. Its tiresome. Its why I've pretty much stayed away from discussing officiating on here. Its meaningless to do so.

Yes, meaning it's something so easy anybody can learn how to do it. I thought that was obvious.

Your lack of reading comprehension only further advances my assessment that any dipshit can learn how to officiate basketball.

I bet you ref like Barney Fife policed Mayberry.
It was---Its why I said what I dd. God damn, are you this stupid? My reading comprehension is just fine, brother. You said its something so easy, that anyone could learn how to do it...Then tell me thats not what you meant.

Are you drunk?

But not everyone can learn how to do it. And do so at a high level.
Well, that's kind of the problem. Apparently none of you are able to officiate at a high level without making yourselves part of the game. People don't buy tickets to watch some hack like Pat Adams call 56 fouls. College officiating is obviously broken which everyone who isn't a hot shot ref like yourself can recognize.

Later Barney. I have a real job to go to in the morning. Not a t-ball game.

Disagree. Anyone can call a travel...foul,,,,OOB..Learn the rules. Their applications, etc, etc...But not everyone can handle the atmosphere's....the coaches....doing so in front of thousands of people...Just like with being a cop, or a doctor, or a lawyer. Sure anyone can learn HOW to be----But not everyone can learn how to do it. And do so at a high level.

Agree to disagree.
Sure. But I’m willing to bet most could handle that type of pressure. I mean, what’s more pressure intense to you, having people yell at you while officiating a close game or being under pressure to nail down each detail on a million dollar purchase knowing that if you mess up you lost your client a lot of money and you’ll be fired? One you can walk away from and everybody forgets in 5 minutes. The other one jeopardizes your future.

There’s different levels of pressure. Obviously there’s a massive number of people who couldn’t handle the pressure of being yelled at but I don’t think doing that takes nerves of steel.

I know it’s not an easy job but let’s not pretend like it’s nearly an impossible job.

What do you guys think of NBA refs? I think most fans will agree that officiating in the NBA is head and shoulders above the college level. You guys ever talk about what they do?

Well, that's kind of the problem. Apparently none of you are able to officiate at a high level without making yourselves part of the game. People don't buy tickets to watch some hack like Pat Adams call 56 fouls. College officiating is obviously broken which everyone who isn't a hot shot ref like yourself can recognize.
How do you suppose officials don't make ourselves part of the game, when,well...WE ARE part of the game?

Also, I didn't realize Pat called 56 fouls. Damn. Any chance you know how many the other 2 called?

College officiating is no worse now than it was 20 years ago. Only difference now, is missed called are more visible. Social media, SportsCenter, 56 different camera angles, with 18 different speeds. Its funny actually. Officials make somewhere between 60-70 calls, combined,a game. Thing is,they could get aal of them right, but one. And that one is only thing you are gonna hear about it. And will so over and over and over.. I mean thats fine. Its the way of life of officiating. Just find it funny.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Sure. But I’m willing to bet most could handle that type of pressure. I mean, what’s more pressure intense to you, having people yell at you while officiating a close game or being under pressure to nail down each detail on a million dollar purchase knowing that if you mess up you lost your client a lot of money and you’ll be fired? One you can walk away from and everybody forgets in 5 minutes. The other one jeopardizes your future.

There’s different levels of pressure. Obviously there’s a massive number of people who couldn’t handle the pressure of being yelled at but I don’t think doing that takes nerves of steel.

I know it’s not an easy job but let’s not pretend like it’s nearly an impossible job.

What do you guys think of NBA refs? I think most fans will agree that officiating in the NBA is head and shoulders above the college level. You guys ever talk about what they do?
Comparing jobs is apples to oranges. And really, do you believe people forget calls in 5 minutes? Dude, to this day we are still talking about the end of the Auburn/UVA game. Uk fans are still yapping about calls from the 1948 Final Four. Sports is a huge part of society. Calls made in sports, that are involved in high profile games, are not forgotten about. You know this.

No it doesn't take nerves of steel to handle getting yelled at, called a nuther****er, a SOB, a POS, spit on, have shit thrown at you. But it does take someone who can handle their emotions. Keep their calm. Keep their wits. Dude I see how eaily some on here get rustled. No way some of these dudes could handle a****ing HS game---much less a high level, D1 game.

I think officiating in the NBA is better structured. Its more detailed in how they want you to call it. And its pretty clear---Call it how the league wants you to, or you don't work. But, its a business. Its entertainment. And officials are instructed to remember that. I mean think about it---How many times have you seen James Harden, LeBron, etc, etc,,,foul out? Exactly. As for as how the game is officiated? Its terrible. You damn near have to beat someone to death for a foul to be called. I'm surprised NBA officials remember how to signal a travel. NBA officials are instructed to let these guys play. And its to an extent where really---there are no travels, and a foul is a felony in most states.

Comparing jobs is apples to oranges. And really, do you believe people forget calls in 5 minutes? Dude, to this day we are still talking about the end of the Auburn/UVA game. Uk fans are still yapping about calls from the 1948 Final Four. Sports is a huge part of society. Calls made in sports, that are involved in high profile games, are not forgotten about. You know this.

No it doesn't take nerves of steel to handle getting yelled at, called a nuther****er, a SOB, a POS, spit on, have shit thrown at you. But it does take someone who can handle their emotions. Keep their calm. Keep their wits. Dude I see how eaily some on here get rustled. No way some of these dudes could handle a****ing HS game---much less a high level, D1 game.

I think officiating in the NBA is better structured. Its more detailed in how they want you to call it. And its pretty clear---Call it how the league wants you to, or you don't work. But, its a business. Its entertainment. And officials are instructed to remember that. I mean think about it---How many times have you seen James Harden, LeBron, etc, etc,,,foul out? Exactly. As for as how the game is officiated? Its terrible. You damn near have to beat someone to death for a foul to be called. I'm surprised NBA officials remember how to signal a travel. NBA officials are instructed to let these guys play. And its to an extent where really---there are no travels, and a foul is a felony in most states.
I think most people forget calls a few minutes after the game. There may be a few times a season where something happens that they remember but for the most part people let it go really quickly. You’re gonna hear about it more here because it is a message board. It’s a giant locker room where we all talk shit to each other and we’ll use whatever we can to make our points. That’s why you hear so much about Auburn/UVA.

And I agree with you that a lot of people on this board couldn’t handle the pressure. Lol.

How do you suppose officials don't make ourselves part of the game, when,well...WE ARE part of the game?

Also, I didn't realize Pat called 56 fouls. Damn. Any chance you know how many the other 2 called?

College officiating is no worse now than it was 20 years ago. Only difference now, is missed called are more visible. Social media, SportsCenter, 56 different camera angles, with 18 different speeds. Its funny actually. Officials make somewhere between 60-70 calls, combined,a game. Thing is,they could get aal of them right, but one. And that one is only thing you are gonna hear about it. And will so over and over and over.. I mean thats fine. Its the way of life of officiating. Just find it funny.

I think there’s a problem in college basketball with inconsistency. Fouls on one end aren’t called on the other end, often with the home team getting the benefit. Same thing between halves.

Agree to disagree.

. This is hilarious. In Kentucky if you can read you can pass the high school officials test. It’s open book. I know some dudes that do 16th region games and Mid South Conference games. I asked them how they got to that level. Know the answer? Don’t interrupt the game by calling a bunch of fouls.

I think there’s a problem in college basketball with inconsistency. Fouls on one end aren’t called on the other end, often with the home team getting the benefit. Same thing between halves.
To an extent, I agree. But its not always that "cut and dry". To you, something may look exactly the same. Sometimes, it is. But a lot of time, it is not. I;ve said it before---Not all contact is the same, even if it looks the same. I mean there could be contact on one end, and the defense may not have been in legal guarding postion, thus a foul is call. Now, that same contact may occur at the other end, BUT...this time, the defender was in legal guarding position. Looks the same. But far from the same.

I said I didn't want to. I never said I couldn't. I don't get defensive. I get annoyed. Its tiresome. Its why I've pretty much stayed away from discussing officiating on here. Its meaningless to do so.

“Pretty much stayed away from discussion officials”. Boy that’s a good one. You were on Rafters the other day riding in on your big white horse to defend officials. You didn’t stay long though. Laughing I’m convinced some kind of alarm goes off for you every time the topic of officiating is approached. To suggest anyone with a modicum of basketball background couldn’t become an official is ridiculous. And to suggest “try it” is a fvcking cop out too. I choose not to. You and others like you chose to do it. Most college officials get paid damn good for two hours work. To expect a certain level competency is not too much to ask.

. This is hilarious. In Kentucky if you can read you can pass the high school officials test. It’s open book. I know some dudes that do 16th region games and Mid South Conference games. I asked them how they got to that level. Know the answer? Don’t interrupt the game by calling a bunch of fouls.
That goes for any state. The test is open book(HS). Again, as I said, anyone can get a license...anyone can call fouls, learn the rules. But how good are you at applying them? managing the game? Handling stressful situations? I mean, if its so easy, why aren't more of you on here doing it?

If that was those guys answer, than they will forever be in NAIA, working the MSC. If you don't adhere to what the rules say, you will not move up. Now, had they said something like...dont create fouls, call them---Then yeah, I could buy that. Mike Eades told our group, "the best call is sometimes no call at all. BUT----if something is to be called, you damn well better call it." It sometihng we always say before going to the floor:

"don't create a foul----But call them."

“Pretty much stayed away from discussion officials”. Boy that’s a good one. You were on Rafters the other day riding in on your big white horse to defend officials. You didn’t stay long though. Laughing I’m convinced some kind of alarm goes off for you every time the topic of officiating is approached. To suggest anyone with a modicum of basketball background couldn’t become an official is ridiculous. And to suggest “try it” is a fvcking cop out too. I choose not to. You and others like you chose to do it. Most college officials get paid damn good for two hours work. To expect a certain level competency is not too much to ask.
Dude Rafters is like shooting fish in a barrel.....LaughingLaughing...I knew all I had to do was lay a little bait----and those dudes would come running like piranha's. I stewed the pot, left the house---and watched it boil over from afar.

You guys are to easy..Laughing

It’s a hard place to stay. Go there go casual discussion and get the crazies.

It’s a hard place to stay. Go there go casual discussion and get the crazies.
After a loss, that place is a God damn mess. But man is it fun. All I had to was say---"John Higgins ain't that bad....."

And here they come...

T7AwPq.gif

Meanwhile, I just walk away---Laughing my ass off.

Dude Rafters is like shooting fish in a barrel.....LaughingLaughing...I knew all I had to do was lay a little bait----and those dudes would come running like piranha's. I stewed the pot, left the house---and watched it boil over from afar.

You guys are to easy..Laughing

You came and “stewed” the pot and then ran like a bitch. Lol

He’s just defending his profession my guy. He’s not shitting on how you make your living.
I flip burgers at McD's man. I'm not hating on anyone for working. I just think the elitist "You can't critique officials because you're not one" take was really stupid.

I also didn't appreciate the other remarks so I returned the favor. I even warned him not to be a dick.

Later Barney. I have a real job to go to in the morning. Not a t-ball game.
They don't play T-ball in Jan....That's not until April.

Also, I have a real job. We make cultured granite and marble. Maybe when you get that raise at McDonalds, you could afford to redo your trailer?

Higgins is in the same boat as the rest for me. That white $hit on top of chicken $hit is still chicken $hit.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
They don't play T-ball in Jan....That's not until April.

Also, I have a real job. We make cultured granite and marble. Maybe when you get that raise at McDonalds, you could afford to redo your trailer?
I'm working my way up to the fries. Baby steps.

You came and “stewed” the lot and then ran like a bitch. Lol
Naaah. I knew what I was doing. You dudes are easy pickings. Just like you are on here. Sensitive bunch. You really are. Weird, though. You root for the most successful program in CBB history. Yet, I mean, you guys so bent out of shape over anything that doesn't suck UK's dick. Funny shit. And a true story.

Naaah. I knew what I was doing. You dudes are easy pickings. Just like you are on here. Sensitive bunch. You really are. Weird, though. You root for the most successful program in CBB history. Yet, I mean, you guys so bent out of shape over anything that doesn't suck UK's dick. Funny shit. And a true story.

That’s a deflection from the fact that most officials in college basketball are too old and too fat to officiate the game correctly.

Higgins is in the same boat as the rest for me. That white $hit on top of chicken $hit is still chicken $hit.
Laughing

When I was little, my uncles would scare with me stories of the "Boggy Creek Monster being under my bed...... I'm pretty sure in Kentucky, that story is a tad different. More like..."Johnny, you'd better be good. You know that Higgins and Adams are under your bed......RollLaughRollLaugh

Laughing

When I was little, my uncles would scare with me stories of the "Boggy Creek Monster being under my bed...... I'm pretty sure in Kentucky, that story is a tad different. More like..."Johnny, you'd better be good. You know that Higgins and Adams are under your bed......RollLaughRollLaugh

Again, you’ve got me confused. I don’t differentiate. I think they all suck.

And any officiating thread makes you easy pickings. You’ll defend them all night. Laughing
Not at all. Just trying to educate the ignorant, my friend. Plus, I'm not the one on here crying about the big bad referee's, every time my team loses. I mean BBN is the only fan base that I know that keeps a record of their games with officials... I mean, who the **** does that?Laughing

That’s a deflection from the fact that most officials in college basketball are too old and too fat to officiate the game correctly.
And to slow it down, they start blowing whistles for phantom fouls and going to the monitor for unnecessary reviews.

Reactions: RipThru
And to slow it down, they start blowing whistles for phantom fouls and going to the monitor for unnecessary reviews.
Well, duh...It gets tiresome out there, bro. I love me a good ol, 3 minute monitor review.

Not at all. Just trying to educate the ignorant, my friend. Plus, I'm not the one on here crying about the big bad referee's, every time my team loses. I mean BBN is the only fan base that I know that keeps a record of their games with officials... I mean, who the **** does that?Laughing

Show me one post where I’ve blamed an official for a UK loss. I’ll save you the trouble. You can’t. What I’ve blamed officials for is making the game unwatchable. And if you seriously think UK is the only fan base that bashes referees you neeed to get out more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT