ADVERTISEMENT

Horror cons/Comic cons

Scotty00

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2008
Anybody else go to any of the big cons? Anybody else collect autographs and movie memorabilia? I go to a few of these cons a year and I’ve met several 80’s actors and got some good shit autographed. Anybody else?

I'm a big horror guy and when I was single had a bunch of weird crap in my house. Some of it was from movies and some just random creepy things I found online. Never been to a con show though.

• Haha
Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I'm a big horror guy and when I was single had a bunch of weird crap in my house. Some of it was from movies and some just random creepy things I found online. Never been to a con show though.
Man I had never been until a couple years ago and now I go to 3 or 4 a year. Pretty neat meeting these people that you grew up watching. I’m going Horror hound in Cincy at the end of March and there’s gonna be a shit ton of people there. The ET cast, the karate kid/Cobra Kia cast (Daniel, Johnny and John Krease) and several others. I usually get movie posters and stuff signed and framed but I’d say my prized possession is my Nightmare on elm street glove signed by Robert Englund. Met him last year in Lexington at Scarefest. He wrote “Welcome to prime time bitch…Freddy K….Robert Englund”. It’s pretty bad ass. C Thomas Howell will me at Horror hound also so I’m gonna get him and Ralph Macchio to sign my “Outsiders” movie poster. Do you still have any of your stuff?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I got rid of most of it. I had a massive Stephen King collection of 1st Edition books and collectors/artists editions and a bunch of horror type stuff to go around them on the three leveled bookshelf. The only thing I have left is a Pennywise looking sculpture and a Dark Tower framed print. I have some other prints that are more famous like Guernica and stuff like that but none of the real weird stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I’m a big King fan. This past October I about took my vacation and went up to Maine to visit his home and the Pet Sematary movie sites but we ended up not going. I’d love to have all his first edition books. Do you have a favorite?

I’m a big King fan. This past October I about took my vacation and went up to Maine to visit his home and the Pet Sematary movie sites but we ended up not going. I’d love to have all his first edition books. Do you have a favorite?

Hmm, it's hard to really pick a favorite. I've read them all but his latest two and enjoy all of them. I mean, It and The Stand are cliche answers but so good. Desperation was a huge favorite of mine. The Dark Tower stuff is all great but I hated the ending so enjoyed the first six more than the last. Thought him writing himself into the story was lame. The best part of King's books are the development and buildup though. His endings aren't always great. I'm about to start Billy Summers, which is the only one I haven't read outside of his latest, Fairy Tale.

I had all his first editions but Carrie and another one. Carrie was like $1500 back then though and I wasn't paying that much. There are a lot of people selling fakes out there.

Reactions: Scotty00
Anybody else go to any of the big cons? Anybody else collect autographs and movie memorabilia? I go to a few of these cons a year and I’ve met several 80’s actors and got some good shit autographed. Anybody else?
My BIL and SIL used to go to a few to get autographs for the shop, but I've never been.

I should have looked it up.

Attendance: 70,000 in 2009
Wizard magazine was a big deal for comics fan boys in the 90s. Had all the major players at the time: Liefeld, Campbell, McFarlane, Lee, Maudeira, the Kuberts, JR JR and of course Stan Lee
Also had celebs like Gillian Anderson and Jamie Lee Curtis

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Wizard magazine was a big deal for comics fan boys in the 90s. Had all the major players at the time: Liefeld, Campbell, McFarlane, Lee, Maudeira, the Kuberts, JR JR and of course Stan Lee
Also had celebs like Gillian Anderson and Jamie Lee Curtis
Sounds awesome.

I'm not sure who'd I want to meet.

What are the going rates for autographs? Average?
Usually depends on the celebrity. For the most part I’ve paid around $40 but I’ve had a couple (Corey Feldman & Christopher Lloyd) that I’ve paid a lot more for. I took all three back to the future movie posters to get signed by Christopher Lloyd and each one with just his name cost me $160 each. Took my Goonies poster to get it signed by Corey Feldman and his auto was only $60 if he included your name on it (which I don’t like or do) but if he only put his name and a quote it was $120. I ask why it was like that and they said people was getting his auto and then selling them on eBay and with a name on it, it makes it harder to do that.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
used to go to the comic conventions about 15 years ago, but not in a long time.

Before that I used t go to baseball card conventions all the time growing up. Either with my dad or with friends when I got a little older. My dad used to buy me one complete set of baseball cards every year at the convention. It was tough cause I had to pick the brand which got tougher and tougher as more joined the game. Used to be Topps and that was it. Then around 83 you got Fleer and Donrus. Upper Deck came along in the early 90s and that changed the entire hobby for the worse unfortunately.

Before that I used t go to baseball card conventions all the time growing up. Either with my dad or with friends when I got a little older. My dad used to buy me one complete set of baseball cards every year at the convention. It was tough cause I had to pick the brand which got tougher and tougher as more joined the game. Used to be Topps and that was it. Then around 83 you got Fleer and Donrus. Upper Deck came along in the early 90s and that changed the entire hobby for the worse unfortunately.
Gotten back into Card hobby. Went to a little local convention a couple weeks ago, might go to the Chantilly Card Show in March.

what are you into?
Baseball and football. Just buying some singles of cards I like/want. Bought some boxings to rip, but I'm noticing that the ROI isn't great since I'm not trying to complete set of anything. Did a break the other day and got a Trout auto which was nice. Same card as this, but I don't have mine up on eBay.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: Scotty00
Baseball and football. Just buying some singles of cards I like/want. Bought some boxings to rip, but I'm noticing that the ROI isn't great since I'm not trying to complete set of anything. Did a break the other day and got a Trout auto which was nice. Same card as this, but I don't have mine up on eBay.

s-l1600.jpg
so mostly just new stuff like last 10 years or so?

Any interest in 90s baseball/football?

Depends on what it is. You looking to move a collection?
no, but I'll send you a care package of stuff. I've mentioned before that my father has one of the largest collections in the country. He is really only interested in really old stuff. For instance, the set he is trying to put together now is the famous cigarette card set with Honus Wagner. He knows he's never getting Wagner, but he's trying to get the rest.

About 20-30 years ago he bought the entire inventory from a widow of a deceased baseball card store owner. Took 3 Uhaul trips to bring it all home. Every night he goes through some of the stuff, but after all that time ther is still a ton of stuff he hasn't even looked at. I was at the house the other day and noticed that the garage is full of stuff. i always thought the stuff in the garage was just boxes of supplies for card collecting, but nope, its full of boxes of unopened cards. Lots of complete sets, lots of boxes of unopened packs from 30 years ago. He's 80 now so at some point we need to start reducing the collection.

I use to be into the card collecting as well. Started out like you said with Topps but then it exploded. Later on I got into graded cards but I ended up selling most of them because the market in them was going down and I needed money to go to Vegas. I had a few good ones put back for my son when he got older but unfortunately they was stolen.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul

s-l1600.jpg
I’ll take one of these if you have extra!😳

what's a card like taht even worth? To my untrained eye that hasn't been around cards in 30 years it looks like just another fancy new card that should be worth a few dollars at most.

what's a card like taht even worth? To my untrained eye that hasn't been around cards in 30 years it looks like just another fancy new card that should be worth a few dollars at most.
It’s been a few years for me to man but I’d say that cards more than a few dollars lol. I’d guess that’s a high dollar card but I couldn’t tell you how much. Nice one!

Think there is one on EBay for $1500. Probably won’t take less then $2000 for it right now.

Think there is one on EBay for $1500. Probably won’t take less then $2000 for it right now.
That’s insane and why card collecting has gone so far downhill IMO. When i collected there were only a few companies making cards. The only ones that were valuable were the rookies. It made things so much easier to figure out. Nowadays there are more companies than I can count. They all have these special limited edition cards and the prices are ridiculous.

Do you think a card like that will hold value long term? Seems like a gimick card to me, but I’ve been out of the game so long I really have no clue.

That’s insane and why card collecting has gone so far downhill IMO. When i collected there were only a few companies making cards. The only ones that were valuable were the rookies. It made things so much easier to figure out. Nowadays there are more companies than I can count. They all have these special limited edition cards and the prices are ridiculous.

Do you think a card like that will hold value long term? Seems like a gimick card to me, but I’ve been out of the game so long I really have no clue.
Rookie cards are still the chase. Julio Rodriguez has some insane card prices right now

Here you go Julio card going for 50K

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT