ADVERTISEMENT

Goaltending rule

Boilermaker03

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2004
Team
Purdue
There is a discussion on the main Purdue board as to what the rule actually states. Anyone here have insight as to the proper use of the rule as what happened in the Purdue vs Arizona game? Some say that the ball has to be touching the rim at the time the net is tugged on, others saying just has to be over the cylinder. Some clarity would be nice. @IUfanBorden

There is a discussion on the main Purdue board as to what the rule actually states. Anyone here have insight as to the proper use of the rule as what happened in the Purdue vs Arizona game? @IUfanBorden
In the Purdue game specifically, the ball was outside the cylinder when the Arizona player grabbed the net so they reversed the call.

In the Purdue game specifically, the ball was outside the cylinder when the Arizona player grabbed the net so they reversed the call.
Outside of the cylinder? It definitely wasn't going to go in if that's what you mean, however the ball hit the top of the rim again after the net grab. Are you saying that in that instance they use the distinction that if the interference didn't happen it wouldn't have gone in anyway? Just want to understand the rule.

There is a discussion on the main Purdue board as to what the rule actually states. Anyone here have insight as to the proper use of the rule as what happened in the Purdue vs Arizona game? Some say that the ball has to be touching the rim at the time the net is tugged on, others saying just has to be over the cylinder. Some clarity would be nice. @IUfanBorden
Grabbing and/or hitting the net, while the ball is on the rim, is the ONE time where an official has discretion on whether they fill the action, caused the shot to miss. If they don't think it did, then its nothing. If they do, its goaltending

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Grabbing and/or hitting the net, while the ball is on the rim, is the ONE time where an official has discretion on whether they fill the action, caused the shot to miss. If they don't think it did, then its nothing. If they do, its goaltending
I see variation in the way it is called. Once the rim is disturbed by something other than the ball and the ball is in or partially in the cyl (which obviously includes on the rim" it usually gets called but not always.

I tend to agree that there should be discretion but that would mean a trip to the monitor.

I see variation in the way it is called. Once the rim is disturbed by something other than the ball and the ball is in or partially in the cyl (which obviously includes on the rim" it usually gets called but not always.

I tend to agree that there should be discretion but that would mean a trip to the monitor.
Touching the net, hitting it, etc....is not automatic. And Ive rarely seen it called. Its like slapping the backboard---not goaltending----EVER.

Again if as an official you feel the hitting of the net, or what not, casued the shot to miss, you can call it. But unless someone grabs the net, pulls down the goal, i.e. moves the rim, I don't see how you call it.

Touching the net, hitting it, etc....is not automatic. And Ive rarely seen it called. Its like slapping the backboard---not goaltending----EVER.

Again if as an official you feel the hitting of the net, or what not, casued the shot to miss, you can call it. But unless someone grabs the net, pulls down the goal, i.e. moves the rim, I don't see how you call it.
correct

And that was exactly the case. The net pull made no difference on the shot. I had always thought (incorrectly, unless it's different in high school) that if you pulled on the net it was automatic. Much like if the ball had already hit the backboard. You can't tell if it was going to go in or not if it goes off the backboard yet it's automatic. Just not the same on a net pull.

And that was exactly the case. The net pull made no difference on the shot. I had always thought (incorrectly, unless it's different in high school) that if you pulled on the net it was automatic. Much like if the ball had already hit the backboard. You can't tell if it was going to go in or not if it goes off the backboard yet it's automatic. Just not the same on a net pull.
Rule is the same in HS as well. Hitting the net, grabbing it, is not automatic. Its the one time as an official you can decide if the action caused the shot to miss.

And to add----in case there are some womdering---NO....slapping the backboard is NOT GT. Its absolutely-------Nothing. Unless you deem it was donw with no intentions of trying to block a shot, etc---Then its simply a technical foul.

Rule is the same in HS as well. Hitting the net, grabbing it, is not automatic. Its the one time as an official you can decide if the action caused the shot to miss.
What is illegal id disturbing the rim with anything but the ball.

grabbing the net is not a foul unless it results in distrubing the rim and potentially the shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT