ADVERTISEMENT

From pre season 1 to nit

I heard Davis and Love hate each other, is that true? I know I would hate playing with caleb love

Confusing thread title......Without opening, there are a few options.

Duke, UNC or Kentucky... 🤣 🤣

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I kinda disagree with you.

I respectfully disagree -
giphy.gif

I heard Davis and Love hate each other, is that true? I know I would hate playing with caleb love

IDK. There was some drama but it was supposedly squashed. They are both shoot first guards so don’t really fit together. This is the same group that caused Roy to retire so there is always the hope that when they are gone that fixes things. Hard to tell because we seldom see the bench.

Reactions: ThePhog08
Just an observation based on the clowns many high end programs have hired lately.

Who is the most recent at the time of hire headline grabbing hire?

Beard is the only one I can think of for TX.

Maybe it's partially guys are happy where they are and don't need the risk of changing lanes too.

True. The next Wooden is probably content as a lifelong assistant at Middle Tennessee St.

True. The next Wooden is probably content as a lifelong assistant at Middle Tennessee St.
I should have worded my initial post better. I didn't mean none of the college HC jobs are coveted my bad. I meant the traditional power job openings might not be moving the needle to the industry because guys are comfortable where they are and they can accomplish big winning where they are and don't need to risk the move for a more pressure job.

I was referencing some of those highly successful guys that have been staying where they are doing their thing at non traditional powers like Few, Drew, Pearl, and Bennett.

These bigger jobs open up, but those bigger names aren't moving in. It's legacies and/or assistants with 0 experience getting these gigs lately.

I should have worded my initial post better. I didn't mean none of the college HC jobs are coveted my bad. I meant the traditional power job openings might not be moving the needle to the industry because guys are comfortable where they are and they can accomplish big winning where they are and don't need to risk the move for a more pressure job.

I was referencing some of those highly successful guys that have been staying where they are doing their thing at non traditional powers like Few, Drew, Pearl, and Bennett.

These bigger jobs open up, but those bigger names aren't moving in. It's legacies and/or assistants with 0 experience getting these gigs lately.

I'm pretty confident that both UNC and Duke could have landed bigger names, but they (foolishly) wanted to keep it in the family. K and Roy obviously had a major influence on both those choices.

I'm pretty confident that both UNC and Duke could have landed bigger names, but they (foolishly) wanted to keep it in the family. K and Roy obviously had a major influence on both those choices.
No surprise Roy would want to keep it in the family. I always admired Dean for retiring shortly before the season began to make sure Coach Gut got the gig. Gangster move by the old man.

I'm not. Just because Coach K is the GOAT doesn't mean a big name wants to follow him. I'm not saying no way I'm just not confident about it.

Same with UNC. Jay Wright told UNC to pound sand. They hired Matt Doherty off one 15 loss yr at ND before Roy. UK once hired Billy G from UTEP.

The current pool sucks. The bigger names look happy where they are, just retired, or are in the NBA. Maybe I'm wrong. Some of the newer guys are probably just shiny objects. That's probably why Duke, UNC, and others went family.

I don't think the jobs are all that coveted. IU went from Archie Miller to family NBA fossil. Louisvile hired a family clown. Neptune got the NOVA gig with one year of HC exp going .500 at Fordham. AZ hired a guy nobody ever heard of. UCLA hired Cronin who got outta the 1st weekend one time in like a decade @ Cincy.

Who is the last big name hire anywhere? Beard maybe. Crash.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm not. Just because Coach K is the GOAT doesn't mean a big name wants to follow him. I'm not saying no way I'm just not confident about it.

Same with UNC. Jay Wright told UNC to pound sand. They hired Matt Doherty off one 15 loss yr at ND before Roy. UK once hired Billy G from UTEP.

The current pool sucks. The bigger names look happy where they are, just retired, or are in the NBA. Maybe I'm wrong. Some of the newer guys are probably just shiny objects. That's probably why Duke, UNC, and others went family.

I don't think the jobs are all that coveted. IU went from Archie Miller to family NBA fossil. Louisvile hired a family clown. Neptune got the NOVA gig with one year of HC exp going .500 at Fordham. AZ hired a guy nobody ever heard of. UCLA hired Cronin who got outta the 1st weekend one time in like a decade @ Cincy.

Who is the last big name hire anywhere? Beard maybe. Crash.

Louisville, Indiana, Villanova, etc aren't UNC or Duke. But Louisville hired a guy that I'm pretty sure your entire fanbase was pumped for. Indiana's hire is going fine so far. AZ obviously hired a good one. Cronin's a good coach and has obviously justified the hire so far.

KU's last three hires were Larry Brown, Roy and Self. And they probably would have hired a more established coach than Roy if they hadn't been on probation at the time. Kentucky always hires a big name. Gillespie was a failure, but he was one of the top names at the time.

Agreed that the current pool isn't great and most of the top names are entrenched. But UNC and Duke definitely could have hired a more established coach. They let K and Roy have too much input.

Louisville, Indiana, Villanova, etc aren't UNC or Duke. But Louisville hired a guy that I'm pretty sure your entire fanbase was pumped for. Indiana's hire is going fine so far. AZ obviously hired a good one. Cronin's a good coach and has obviously justified the hire so far.

KU's last three hires were Larry Brown, Roy and Self. And they probably would have hired a more established coach than Roy if they hadn't been on probation at the time. Kentucky always hires a big name. Gillespie was a failure, but he was one of the top names at the time.

Agreed that the current pool isn't great and most of the top names are entrenched. But UNC and Duke definitely could have hired a more established coach. They let K and Roy have too much input.
The majority of the UofL fanbase was not pumped for Payne. We have no track record of what Duke can hire. UNC's has always been fam. We have no idea how those jobs move the needle to people not in those families. We know Vitale likes those programs, and ESPN does too. We know they are great programs. But not every guy is in a hurry to take on the pressure job. I wonder how many programs have reached out to Few and Drew over the years. Jay Wright told UNC no.

Take a close look at what the SEC is paying their coaches. Go look at Mick Cronin's buy-out, it's unbelievable.

I'm not saying the hires aren't doing well now at AZ or IU either. I'm saying they aren't splash hires at the time of their hire and they are old dudes that do not figure to be the next Wooden as you say. They are solid head coaches that aren't going to make the HOF.

I know a ton of UK fans and they were not happy about hiring Billy G. At all.

I can't list sources but apparently Caleb Love slept with RJ Davis' girlfriend who's also a UNC WBB player.

They used to be best friends but they won't even sit near each other in their classes anymore at Carolina.

Take this for what you will but you can see how this would affect team chemistry.

• Haha

Amazing how many of our 5 coaches with Championships, are in the HOF and have ties to KU.

The majority of the UofL fanbase was not pumped for Payne. We have no track record of what Duke can hire. UNC's has always been fam. We have no idea how those jobs move the needle to people not in those families. We know Vitale likes those programs, and ESPN does too. We know they are great programs. But not every guy is in a hurry to take on the pressure job. I wonder how many programs have reached out to Few and Drew over the years. Jay Wright told UNC no.

Take a close look at what the SEC is paying their coaches. Go look at Mick Cronin's buy-out, it's unbelievable.

I'm not saying the hires aren't doing well now at AZ or IU either. I'm saying they aren't splash hires at the time of their hire and they are old dudes that do not figure to be the next Wooden as you say. They are solid head coaches that aren't going to make the HOF.

I know a ton of UK fans and they were not happy about hiring Billy G. At all.

You've already said that the current pool isn't that great and the top names are entrenched. Obviously none of those schools are snatching Few away from Gonzaga or Bennett from VA. No one likely is. So what are the big splashes you expected?

If it's going well at AZ, UCLA and IU, why would you second guess what they did? Maybe they could've made what you'd perceive to be a bigger splash, but made the wiser choice instead.

Jay Wright told everybody no, and has since early on in his Nova career. He's the exception, not the rule.

Like you just pointed out, UNC has always kept it in the family, so I'm not sure why you're questioning who they were capable of hiring. As for Duke, call me crazy, but I don't think the most successful program of the last 30 years, which is funneled ungodly amounts of talent by Nike, is going to struggle to find takers.

Yeah, hiring a lifetime assistant with no head coaching experience is a desperate move for a program like UNC. This MIGHT work... but we're not sure. Pretty risky just to "keep it in the family." That's something you expect from Louisville. 😁
Kentucky is doing worse with a Hall of Fame coach and supposed good talent.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
You've already said that the current pool isn't that great and the top names are entrenched. Obviously none of those schools are snatching Few away from Gonzaga or Bennett from VA. No one likely is. So what are the big splashes you expected?
I don't think you're following me.

I didn't expect any big splash hot name hires because there hasn't been any in years. I'm also not really limiting this to just Duke and UNC. I'm looking at all these T10 programs hiring people that nobody else is trying to hire. Scheyer, Hubert, Payne, Woodson, Whatshisname@AZ, Cronin, etc, etc, etc.

I understand a few new guys have done well but they weren't those can't miss HR hires that people mythically dream about when these big jobs open.

Brad Stevens, Billy D, Few, Pearl, Drew, etc - they've been where they are for a long time now.

This is why I believe these jobs aren't as coveted as a lot of people think they are. A lot of great jobs have opened up and they are getting filled with clowns.

I believe a lot of fans just assume if these legacy dudes fail UNC and Duke can just go get that HR hire and all I'm saying is I'm not so sure about that, because I don't think many exist and the culture changed. These buyouts some of these new guys have are insane.

Let's see if that NIKE funnel to Duke is still a thing if the new guy struggles.

Maybe I'm 100% wrong. Absolutely could be. No crystal ball. UNC fans seem to think Hubert will be gone in 5 years so it will be interesting to see who is next for them.

Here's how you solve one of Carolina's major problems:

For every game Caleb Love takes more shots than Armando Bacot, he has to pay back $50,000 in NIL money.

I can't list sources but apparently Caleb Love slept with RJ Davis' girlfriend who's also a UNC WBB player.

They used to be best friends but they won't even sit near each other in their classes anymore at Carolina.

Take this for what you will but you can see how this would affect team chemistry.
Who's the girl though and what are her socials? 🤔
on-my-way-to-steal-your-girl-penguin.gif

No surprise Roy would want to keep it in the family. I always admired Dean for retiring shortly before the season began to make sure Coach Gut got the gig. Gangster move by the old man.
You mean quitting because he got busted for cheating don’t you.

That was so nice quitting a month before the season so there were no other candidates.

So what you are saying is, Dean was not confident the school would hire Gut, his choice, so he quit at a time they had no choice.

How is that a good thing.

Just like Jeff Macinnis and Phil Fords wife. Runs in the Afam family.

Not sure about the first thing you said. There are conflicting opinions on that, though people close to the players says that isn't exactly what happened.

Regardless, the second part is definitely not true. There was just a video last week of the two celebrating together one of their birthdays.

Chemistry sucks. Just not sure this rumor is the reason why.

Not sure about the first thing you said. There are conflicting opinions on that, though people close to the players says that isn't exactly what happened.

Regardless, the second part is definitely not true. There was just a video last week of the two celebrating together one of their birthdays.

Chemistry sucks. Just not sure this rumor is the reason why.
But did they celebrate by running a train on RJ's girlfriend?

Bacot. Love. Davis.

Which player, if any, comes back? I'd lean towards maybe Davis staying.

ADVERTISEMENT