ADVERTISEMENT

From pre season 1 to nit

Before they realize the mistake they make the hire will set the program back years. In over their head. It was stupid then and only looks worse the more you actually watch this team. They are an embarrassment on offense and defense.

Please do not accept an NIT bid.

Before they realize the mistake they make the hire will set the program back years. In over their head. It was stupid then and only looks worse the more you actually watch this team. They are an embarrassment on offense and defense.

To be fair, some UNC fans were saying the same stuff this time last season, and we know the run UNC went on. Obviously don't have Manek, but I'm not counting out UNC from the NCAA tourney yet...

To be fair, some UNC fans were saying the same stuff this time last season, and we know the run UNC went on. Obviously don't have Manek, but I'm not counting out UNC from the NCAA tourney yet...

Would be kind of funny if they went on a run as an 8 seed again.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
There is lots of basketball to be played, plus conference tourneys. I'm not counting them out.

They were right last season as well. They got lucky because they made a bunch of tough shots and had a guy in Manek who caused the whole flawed team to look considerably better than they were. Look what happened when Manek was ejected against Baylor? They went like -30 in ten minutes.

You don't even have to know much about basketball to see basic flaws in the things they do from a team standpoint.
To be fair, what team is flawless this year?

They were right last season as well. They got lucky because they made a bunch of tough shots and had a guy in Manek who caused the whole flawed team to look considerably better than they were. Look what happened when Manek was ejected against Baylor? They went like -30 in ten minutes.
I could be wrong, don't remember UNC fans saying they were getting lucky when they took down Duke twice, and made the NC game...

To be fair, what team is flawless this year?

I could be wrong, don't remember UNC fans saying they were getting lucky when they took down Duke twice, and made the NC game...

No one would say that because it sounded like we were assholes and we were shouted down by people saying we were fake fans.

It has nothing to do with being flawless. They run plays like an AAU team with no discipline and any team with any sort of basic offensive sense can get whatever they want against their defense. It's just whether or not they make or miss the shots they want.

No one would say that because it sounded like we were assholes and we were shouted down by people saying we were fake fans.

It has nothing to do with being flawless. They run plays like an AAU team with no discipline and any team with any sort of basic offensive sense can get whatever they want against their defense. It's just whether or not they make or miss the shots they want.
I can't speak for others, but I would not have called you fake fans. Also, this is only Hubert's second season coaching, so have to think they will be some growing pains. Still time to turn it around this season IMO, and he does have some great recruits for the next two classes.

Then again, could easily be wrong- only time will tell...

Reactions: cdbearde

We all realized it before the hire was even official. UNC should hire us Rivals OGs to be the consultants for the next coach.

I can't speak for others, but I would not have called you fake fans. Also, this is only Hubert's second season coaching, so have to think they will be some growing pains. Still time to turn it around this season IMO, and he does have some great recruits for the next two classes.

Then again, could easily be wrong- only time will tell...

Right, but UNC fans would have no criticism of him.

Yes, of course there will be growing pains. Why are you hiring someone who needs growing pains to even figure out whether or not he knows how to coach? You are North Carolina, lol. Hiring someone on a gamble that they MIGHT know what they are doing is stupid. Best case scenario he figures it out over the course of three or four years and then is pretty good.

Reactions: cdbearde

Yes, of course there will be growing pains. Why are you hiring someone who needs growing pains to even figure out whether or not he knows how to coach? You are North Carolina, lol. Hiring someone on a gamble that they MIGHT know what they are doing is stupid. Best case scenario he figures it out over the course of three or four years and then is pretty good.
Valid again- but not the first program to do that- KU hired Roy with no head coaching experience , Duke did the same this past off-season with Scheyer.

Would say Davis is in the plus column for coaching after last year's run, obviously if they miss the tourney from preseason 1 to NIT, yes trajectory is going downward and more and more questions will be coming at Davis. I just think with UNC's run last season, still too early to put them down for 10 in the ring.

Yeah, hiring a lifetime assistant with no head coaching experience is a desperate move for a program like UNC. This MIGHT work... but we're not sure. Pretty risky just to "keep it in the family." That's something you expect from Louisville. 😁

Valid again- but not the first program to do that- KU hired Roy with no head coaching experience , Duke did the same this past off-season with Scheyer.

Would say Davis is in the plus column for coaching after last year's run, obviously if they miss the tourney from preseason 1 to NIT, yes trajectory is going downward and more and more questions will be coming at Davis. I just think with UNC's run last season, still too early to put them down for 10 in the ring.

KU hired Roy at a time when their program was in trouble though. It was dumb for Duke as well but I don't care about them.

I've watched almost every game the past two years. The offense they run and defensive principles they employ are awful. There is no accountability at all. They don't attempt to develop a bench even though the head coach says the players there will be some of the best players to ever play for UNC in history. One of those best players ever will transfer at the end of the year. He over and over says that the way to fix it is to simply start doing things better. No real solutions just start making shots, start guarding guys, etc... There is nothing more I want than to be wrong. I won't be though.

Yeah, hiring a lifetime assistant with no head coaching experience is a desperate move for a program like UNC. This MIGHT work... but we're not sure. Pretty risky just to "keep it in the family." That's something you expect from Louisville. 😁

Correct, and it also was NOT the move the one who made the hire wanted.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Understand, but even that is not perfect- look at IU with Archie, UK with Billy G and UCLA with Alford some recent examples...
Yeah, but at least they had resumes with experience and results. With an assistant you have no idea. Maybe you get lucky and strike gold, but more than likely you'll die of dysentery trying to get to it.... or something like that.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
KU hired Roy at a time when their program was in trouble though. It was dumb for Duke as well but I don't care about them.

I've watched almost every game the past two years. The offense they run and defensive principles they employ are awful. There is no accountability at all. They don't attempt to develop a bench even though the head coach says the players there will be some of the best players to ever play for UNC in history. One of those best players ever will transfer at the end of the year. He over and over says that the way to fix it is to simply start doing things better. No real solutions just start making shots, start guarding guys, etc... There is nothing more I want than to be wrong. I won't be though.
Except the Duke game. 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Yeah, but at least they had resumes with experience and results. With an assistant you have no idea. Maybe you get lucky and strike gold, but more than likely you'll die of dysentery trying to get to it.... or something like that.
Understand completely -like Zona with Lloyd it appears, and maybe K-State with Tang (although I want to see how KSU does without Johnson next season). For the record, I would also hire a head coach with a track record instead of an assistant if I ever become MD's AD :p

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Understand completely -like Zona with Lloyd it appears, and maybe K-State with Tang (although I want to see how KSU does without Johnson next season). For the record, I would also hire a head coach with a track record instead of an assistant if I ever become MD's AD :p
Lloyd I think is going to be a stud.

Reactions: englandnu

Right, that is the point I've always made. Even if it works out you guarantee yourself growing pains and a coach who has to learn how to coach, how to not say dumb things to the media, if he can coach, what to do in certain situations, etc.... If you hire an experienced one they don't have to learn any of that stuff. They just have to make work at your place what they have already made work somewhere else.

Right, that is the point I've always made. Even if it works out you guarantee yourself growing pains and a coach who has to learn how to coach, how to not say dumb things to the media, if he can coach, what to do in certain situations, etc.... If you hire an experienced one they don't have to learn any of that stuff. They just have to make work at your place what they have already made work somewhere else.
Thanks UNC fans for not going on and on about your history in these tough times.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
I think they would disagree.
From preseason expectations of being ranked #1- of course, but I just think it's silly to count out the Heels this soon for this season after almost winning the Natty last year.

From preseason expectations of being ranked #1- of course, but I just think it's silly to count out the Heels this soon for this season after almost winning the Natty last year.
I never said anything about counting them out. I only mentioned tough times and UNC not making excuses with the past. Their fans are just a lot classier than what I'm use to.

I never said anything about counting them out. I only mentioned tough times and UNC not making excuses with the past.
Well let's say they missed the tourney last season, or lost in round 1- prob would be hearing more from UNC fans earlier this year, since Davis wouldn't have built up that good resume yet. Still safely in the tourney, but of course with room to improve big time...

Well let's say they missed the tourney last season, or lost in round 1- prob would be hearing more from UNC fans earlier this year, since Davis wouldn't have built up that good resume yet. Still safely in the tourney, but of course with room to improve big time...
I kinda disagree with you. UNC didn't look great all last season. The Vols beat them badly and they lost to others too. They caught fire in the tourney, but that was the exception to their season and not the rule. So, they have seen the storm clouds for a while.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
I kinda disagree with you. UNC didn't look great all last season. The Vols beat them badly and they lost to others too. They caught fire in the tourney, but that was the exception to their season and not the rule. So, they have seen the storm clouds for a while.
Understand, because I respectfully disagree - yes, they lost to Vols in the regular season last year, but don't forget what they did at Duke in the regular season ender also. Oh they def caught fire in the tourney, but almost winning the natty has to be a great feeling for anybody.

Understand, because I respectfully disagree - yes, they lost to Vols in the regular season last year, but don't forget what they did at Duke in the regular season ender also. Oh they def caught fire in the tourney, but almost winning the natty has to be a great feeling for anybody.
However, even when they were down on their new coach last year they didn't go on about their past records.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
However, even when they were down on their new coach last year they didn't go on about their past records.
Very true- but some did want him gone mid-season last year, so which of those two options to complain about is worse :p

Very true- but some did want him gone mid-season last year, so which of those two options to complain about is worse :p
The first option is expressing concern over a perceived mistake. The second is being a shitty fan.

The first option is expressing concern over a perceived mistake. The second is being a shitty fan.
I just think it's too subjective- yes, some UNC fans did want Davis gone after mid-season last year. Some others wanted to keep him- so "perceived mistake" all depends on what UNC fan we are talking to.

I just think it's too subjective- yes, some UNC fans did want Davis gone after mid-season last year. Some others wanted to keep him- so "perceived mistake" all depends on what UNC fan we are talking to.
Regardless, the larger point is no UNC fans used history as an excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT