ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Jeffries Decommits from UK

Judging by Calipari's comments today, it sounded like someone was wanting to be promised minutes and a starting spot.
tenor.gif

How can anyone be sure of anything when it comes to recruiting? Also, the Jefferies own words, from when Penny was hired @Memphis, disproves your far reaching theory. Being I'm in Memphis, read the local news sites, and Jefferies being from here, this is nothing more than a dad wanting guaranteed playing time promised. And who can blame the dad?
No way I believe his dad tried to get guaranteed playing time from UK.

Weak troll is weak. The father already said the problem wasn't even with Cal.
I never said the problem was with Cal. The kid wanted to take a 2nd look at Memphis. He was told if he did that UK would no longer recruit him.
Cal released a BS statement today about playing time to save face.

And you know it was BS, how exactly? Keep reaching.
Do you think him & his dad were in Cal’s ear, A YEAR BEFORE HE GETS ON CAMPUS about his playing time?
Cal is bitter that Penny used him as leverage for the Memphis job, then when Jeffries wanted to look at Memphis, Cal told him to go ahead but we’re done with you.
It’s not that big of a deal, Jeffries is a good player. UK will get better than him. Cal just wanted Jeffries to help land Wiseman anyway, just be honest about it.

Do you think him & his dad were in Cal’s ear, A YEAR BEFORE HE GETS ON CAMPUS about his playing time?
Cal is bitter that Penny used him as leverage for the Memphis job, then when Jeffries wanted to look at Memphis, Cal told him to go ahead but we’re done with you.
It’s not that big of a deal, Jeffries is a good player. UK will get better than him. Cal just wanted Jeffries to help land Wiseman anyway, just be honest about it.
Yes, I do think that they were in his ear after we kept recruiting at his position. What about that seems unlikely?

Yes, I do think that they were in his ear after we kept recruiting at his position. What about that seems unlikely?
Because it’s been rumored for a while that he wanted to play under Penny. He thought Penny was going to UK as an assistant. Once Penny took the Memphis job, he had 2nd thoughts.
Nothing more to it.

Because it’s been rumored for a while that he wanted to play under Penny. He thought Penny was going to UK as an assistant. Once Penny took the Memphis job, he had 2nd thoughts.
Nothing more to it.
It was known that Penny was going to be announced as the next Memphis coach. He committed 2 days before it was officially announced. Care to try again?

He committed on March 12th
Penny was hired on March 20th
You got me, memory isn't what it used to be I guess.

But on the HOB we were surprised that he would commit so early due to the fact that Penny was rumored to be overwhelmingly likely to be the coach there. If we knew, DJ knew. So the point still stands.

You got me, memory isn't what it used to be I guess.

But on the HOB we were surprised that he would commit so early due to the fact that Penny was rumored to be overwhelmingly likely to be the coach there. If we knew, DJ knew. So the point still stands.
Was it rumored that Barbee was on his way out & Penny was going to replace him?
Be honest

Was it rumored that Barbee was on his way out & Penny was going to replace him?
Be honest
Yes, at one point it most certainly was (though I don't believe that Cal would or will ever for Barbee out, they are tight). The Penny to Memphis rumor had started prior to the commitment though.

Reactions: KisteK
Yes, at one point it most certainly was. The Penny to Memphis rumor had started prior to the commitment though.
Fair enough. What I’ve been told is that the “plan” was for Penny to join the UK staff for a few years, then try for the Memphis job once Tubby retires. Penny used that as leverage to get the Memphis job early.
Also part of the plan was Jeffries & Wiseman joining Penny at UK. Jeffries pulled the trigger early, as a 4 star recruit, he couldn’t hold out like Wiseman.
Once Penny got the job, he was in Jeffries ear about joining him at Memphis, now he has his sights set on Wiseman.

Fair enough. What I’ve been told is that the “plan” was for Penny to join the UK staff for a few years, then try for the Memphis job once Tubby retires. Penny used that as leverage to get the Memphis job early.
Also part of the plan was Jeffries & Wiseman joining Penny at UK. Jeffries pulled the trigger early, as a 4 star recruit, he couldn’t hold out like Wiseman.
Once Penny got the job, he was in Jeffries ear about joining him at Memphis, now he has his sights set on Wiseman.

Like I said earlier, Penny has given so much back to Memphis and it's great for Memphis as a whole to have Penny as coach. Wiseman is Penny's prized recruit and it will be shocking to see him go anywhere else. Memphians are huge college basketball fans and them doing well helps the overall morale of the city. (lord knows we need it). Jefferies is a nice addition, but from the locals, it's more about taking from Calipari than actually adding a player. I'm not sure Memphians will ever get over him.

My employer has a box seat at FedEx and we have access to any Grizzilies/Tiger games (along with other events), and the only time I've heard anyone say Penny to UK was on message boards. No one here, who's really close to the program ever thought that was an actual possibility.

I don't know what Cal said but if he made comments about the kid, even if it was just about playing time, he shouldn't have. I just think you say nothing. Just like Roy should have in his book. Again, just based on what some UK fans have said here about Cal commenting on it.

As for UNC, it is still surprising to me how many people, even good posters, still don't really understand what happened with the academic stuff.

As for Jeffries himself, don't think UK will miss him. They will get someone else just as good or better.

you know that is not the truth
look at the threads on this board that have rival fans taking shots at UK when the thread has nothing to do with UK and in some cases sports
you are also guilty of it

RENT FREE
You guys are so arrogant. Always a spin as to how what UK fans do is somehow diffefent. I mean fvck, you guys have a billion page thread about UL on your homeboard. Have a thread dedicated to just IU. Then....On here, you guys take shots at UL, Duke, UNC and IU, all the time. Even in threads that Don t pertain to either school. Yet, that is different. LMAO. That's the problem with MOST of BBN. You vanndishbit out, but man you cannot take it. When called out, it's always the same old song and dance:
Jealous....Envy...Rent free,. But when you guys do it???

But....but....but...Its different.Laughing

You guys are so arrogant. Always a spin as to how what UK fans do is somehow diffefent. I mean fvck, you guys have a billion page thread about UL on your homeboard. Have a thread dedicated to just IU. Then....On here, you guys take shots at UL, Duke, UNC and IU, all the time. Even in threads that Don t pertain to either school. Yet, that is different. LMAO. That's the problem with MOST of BBN. You vanndishbit out, but man you cannot take it. When called out, it's always the same old song and dance:
Jealous....Envy...Rent free,. But when you guys do it???

But....but....but...Its different.Laughing

every fanbase ON THIS BOARD you mentioned takes shots at UK every chance they get
you take your shots at UK every chance you get
keep crying Alice, your tears are sweet

every fanbase ON THIS BOARD you mentioned takes shots at UK every chance they get
you take your shots at UK every chance you get
keep crying Alice, your tears are sweet
You guys are the most insensitive bunch. Of course I do; as does most. But 99% of its because of the arrogance and entitlement you guys carry among yourselves. It's always, "we never do that...or do this". When truth is, you take those same shots at UNC, Duke, UL and IU. And do so at every oppprtunity. So quit acting as if you dont. I've never such a fan base with such a need for acceptance. Your like the prettiest girl in school that constamtly needs to ne told she's pretty. So, so imsecure. And my God--.Sensitive.
You guys bring on most of what you get. So if the attention is bothersome---Well, quit being such attention whores. You guys are like prostitutes complaining about getting fvcked to much.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Sounds like you’re still bothered that UNC was found innocent. It’s ok man, you’ve still got UL to pick on.
I you take time to read the ruling you will find that UNC was not found innocent. They just found a way to cheat and not be penalized by the NCAA. If Louisville had provided prostitutes to some of the regular students that were not basketball players they would have not been penalized either. UNC still cheated and the whole world knows they cheated. The only people that thinks it is ok to cheat if you can find a way to do it and skirt the NCAA rules is UNC fans.

You guys are the most insensitive bunch. Of course I do; as does most. But 99% of its because of the arrogance and entitlement you guys carry among yourselves. It's always, "we never do that...or do this". When truth is, you take those same shots at UNC, Duke, UL and IU. And do so at every oppprtunity. So quit acting as if you dont. I've never such a fan base with such a need for acceptance. Your like the prettiest girl in school that constamtly needs to ne told she's pretty. So, so imsecure. And my God--.Sensitive.
You guys bring on most of what you get. So if the attention is bothersome---Well, quit being such attention whores. You guys are like prostitutes complaining about getting fvcked to much.
Really. Get a life.

I you take time to read the ruling you will find that UNC was not found innocent. They just found a way to cheat and not be penalized by the NCAA. If Louisville had provided prostitutes to some of the regular students that were not basketball players they would have not been penalized either. UNC still cheated and the whole world knows they cheated. The only people that thinks it is ok to cheat if you can find a way to do it and skirt the NCAA rules is UNC fans.
Wrong but carry on.

When you are the best program in college basketball history you tend to get haters like you. To tell you the truth we love it. IU used to get haters when they had a respectful program. Of course you may not have been alive back then since that has been decades ago.

Reactions: JC for 3
ADVERTISEMENT