ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Vitale Tweet

28th I believe. He was a 4* O&D player & never started a game in college. He never started a game in college, now that’s damn good coaching.
Yes, I'll agree, that's damn good coaching.
But I don't think some of you realize how big of a deal it is for a 4* high school kid to go in the lottery after 1 college season. To me that's incredible.

Now we’re moving the goalposts. They have to be a 4* lottery O&D player.
Typical

Looks to me like you're the one that originally moved the goalposts. Here is the first post in which Shai Alexander was brought up. I clearly stated that he was a 4* that went lottery. This is post #131:
He does to a point. But a lot of these kids show great potential or have a great year that weren't expected to and they leave. Shai Alexander for example. Kid was a 4* and went lottery. I'd say that's pretty good player development.

This is the post where you moved the goalposts. You're the one that stated "OAD". This is post #133.
You seriously think SGA isn’t O&D at any other school? You act like he’s the first 4* player to be O&D.
I never said OAD, I said Lottery from the start.

I think you're referring to me. I never said it was a miracle.
But name another 4* that went lottery. Going lottery is a whole lot different than just going first round.
Yeah, he was the 34th rated recruit, not college player, the 34th rated HIGH SCHOOL RECRUIT. It is a big desl, no, not a miracle, but he was still a 4* that went in the lottery after 1 season.
Name another 4* that did that?
Sure, Green and Tyler Ulis had to come back for their soph years, but every kid is different. Green will get to the league, it's just going to take him an additional season. That only makes Alexander's accomplishments that much more impressive.
I'll name another 4*, IF....you'll name me another Top ranked player(As in #1), that didn't go in the lottery.

I think you are putting waaaaay to much into this, Jeff. He was a fringe 5* player. In other words---highly regarded. There is a difference in a being a 4*, rated 34th. Than a 4* who's ranked 105th.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
I mean, Cal is a really good coach. Using any player to prove a point is always a terrible way to go because there is always a counter. Cal puts guys in the league because he generally gets awesome players who would go wherever they ended up. He does a great job selling this to them, which isn't a knock. It is a good tactic.

I mean , this. When you are getting multiple, Top 10 kids, year after year after year..Well, I mean, you;re going to have a lot of guys in the NBA. He does a terrific job selling this. BUT...he does put his kids in a position to showcase their skills. And TBH, I think at times, that has hurt(him).

Anyways..Really good coach. Great recruiter. I'd take him.

I'll name another 4*, IF....you'll name me another Top ranked player(As in #1), that didn't go in the lottery.

I think you are putting waaaaay to much into this, Jeff. He was a fringe 5* player. In other words---highly regarded. There is a difference in a being a 4*, rated 34th. Than a 4* who's ranked 105th.
What does a #1 recruit missing the lottery have to do with it? That's a totally different topic.
You might not think a 4* going lottery is a big deal, but I and many others do. That just doesn't happen very often and it takes a good coach to get a player to that level.

Yes, I'll agree, that's damn good coaching.
But I don't think some of you realize how big of a deal it is for a 4* high school kid to go in the lottery after 1 college season. To me that's incredible.
Was drafted 8th.

Reactions: KisteK
What does a #1 recruit missing the lottery have to do with it? That's a totally different topic.
You might not think a 4* going lottery is a big deal, but I and many others do. That just doesn't happen very often and it takes a good coach to get a player to that level.
You may not think the overall #1 player not going in the lottery is a big deal, but I and many others do. That just doesn't happen very often.

See my point now?

Again, SGA was rated 34th....Percentages from being a 5*. You are acting as if SGA was some bottom 100 player. He was not.

A high, 4* at that. Ranked 34th. A mere 5 spots shy of being a 5*. I mean if Cal worked a miracle and got SGA in the lottery. Then why couldn't he work that same miracle on Green? WHo was a 5*.

Its not a knock on Cal. It just shows that to much is sometimes put on the coach.
Cal cant make him taller.

Cal cant make him taller.
Then why recruit him? If he is a slow, unathletic, short player---Why recruit him? Why was he a 5*? See, when a 5* at UK "falters" its because, "oh, he wasn't that good...Overrated...to short...to slow....Etc, etc...But....But....when a kid like SGA, a highly rated 4*, is taken in the lottery----Yep, its all Cal. Cal turned him into a lottery pick.

Why couldn't he do that with Skal? Sure didn't need to make him taller.

Then why recruit him? If he is a slow, unathletic, short player---Why recruit him? Why was he a 5*? See, when a 5* at UK "falters" its because, "oh, he wasn't that good...Overrated...to short...to slow....Etc, etc...But....But....when a kid like SGA, a highly rated 4*, is taken in the lottery----Yep, its all Cal. Cal turned him into a lottery pick.

Why couldn't he do that with Skal? Sure didn't need to make him taller.
Isn't it obvious why Green was recruited? Because Cal needs at least 1 new PG nearly every season and Green happened to be one of the best available, it was either him or Young and Young waited too long to decide, so it was Green and SGA. Who said Green has faltered? After his injury when SGA took over the point Green moved over to the 2 a lot of the time and played great, as undersized as he was. He was solid for UK last year and I expect him to play a huge role this season.

8th. As rare as it may be in hoops, it's kind of the opposite in football. How often do you see 3-stars and below blow up and become NFL studs? Pretty often. Then again, there are a ton more kids playing football and it's impossible for all of them to get fairly evaluated in HS.

not to mention there are 10 times the amount of 3 stars as they are 5 stars in FB
a lot of kids fall through the cracks in FB, like you said they are just too many to evaluate all of them

we have a 2 star that could be a top 10 pick

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
not to mention there are 10 times the amount of 3 stars as they are 5 stars in FB
a lot of kids fall through the cracks in FB, like you said they are just too many to evaluate all of them

we have a 2 star that could be a top 10 pick
I don't know if he'll go that high, but I think he'll crack the 1st round.

I don't know if he'll go that high, but I think he'll crack the 1st round.

right now he is the highest rated edge rusher in CFB
just have to wait and see how the year plays out
i think if he has a great game against UGA he will crack top 10

Trying to catch up here. Did Dick Vitale tweet about UNC or UK?
I was reading about the trial, now this.

right now he is the highest rated edge rusher in CFB
just have to wait and see how the year plays out
i think if he has a great game against UGA he will crack top 10
Yeah, I know, but we'll see. It's just super rare for those guys to go that high unless they are absolute super freaks.

If somehow uofl ends up the only program getting dinged from this after they’ve already had a postseason ban, fired a Hall of fame coach and vacated a title...man.

Even though I’m a uk I’m also a lifetime resident of Louisville and I gotta say, this is a sports town and this all stings a little. It’s depressing.

Regardless of what happens I think the basketball team will recover. But how long it takes depends on what further action the NCAA takes.

If somehow uofl ends up the only program getting dinged from this after they’ve already had a postseason ban, fired a Hall of fame coach and vacated a title...man.

Even though I’m a uk I’m also a lifetime resident of Louisville and I gotta say, this is a sports town and this all stings a little. It’s depressing.

Regardless of what happens I think the basketball team will recover. But how long it takes depends on what further action the NCAA takes.

Regardless, uofl will get hit the hardest. 2 major infractions occurred. They're staring at the death penalty. If the NCAA wants to remain the NCAA, then they'll have to hit the teams hard. Otherwise I just don't see how that organization survives.

Regardless, uofl will get hit the hardest. 2 major infractions occurred. They're staring at the death penalty. If the NCAA wants to remain the NCAA, then they'll have to hit the teams hard. Otherwise I just don't see how that organization survives.
There’s two more trials after this one, the NCAA will have many teams to discipline. As for the Louisville ordeal, schools have been hammered in the past for this, but none have already cleaned house before the latest allegations were found. We’ll see, this is unprecedented.

You may not think the overall #1 player not going in the lottery is a big deal, but I and many others do. That just doesn't happen very often.

See my point now?

Again, SGA was rated 34th....Percentages from being a 5*. You are acting as if SGA was some bottom 100 player. He was not.
No, I'm certainly not acting like he was a sub 100 recruit.
Bottom line is it doesn't happen very often and it takes some serious player development to make that happen.
I'm not exaggerating anything. You really have to work hard to find anyone else that has done it.

Last edited:
Is 14th still lottery?
Again, Shai went lottery after 1 year. Goal posts never moved, you just keep missing.
Either you’re 8 years old or female. There are 14 teams in the NBA lottery, try knowing about what you’re arguing about because you kinda suck at it.

There’s two more trials after this one, the NCAA will have many teams to discipline. As for the Louisville ordeal, schools have been hammered in the past for this, but none have already cleaned house before the latest allegations were found. We’ll see, this is unprecedented.

why did UL fire Jurich, Pitino and the assistant coaches
they were not fired because of whoregate

BTW, when a school gets caught paying players the coaches always get fired

Last edited:
why did UL fire Jurich, Pitino and the assistant coaches
they were not fired because of whoregate

BTW, when a school gets caught paying players the coaches always get fired
They got fired for accumulating scandals, and the coaches weren’t the only ones fired.

Either you’re 8 years old or female. There are 14 teams in the NBA lottery, try knowing about what you’re arguing about because you kinda suck at it.
I asked you a question ("Is 14th still lottery?"). Kind of an odd response to a question. For whatever reason I thought it was 12.
Still, the fact that several people in this thread are having a tough time even finding 3 guys that have gone lottery from 4* status after 1 season in college ball tells me it's pretty freaking tough to do. You can disagree with me if you want, you would be wrong, but you can still disagree.

They got fired for accumulating scandals, and the coaches weren’t the only ones fired.

one of those scandals was the FBI probe that named UL assistant coaches
they were not going to be fired after all the other scandals, as a matter of fact they were not fired until the FBI scandal

you can throw that "they are fired" argument out the window
it does not matter

ADVERTISEMENT