ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Vitale Tweet

4. Same as IU (not more than).

PpV0evc.png

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
It’s only 1300 but since Louisville was already in trouble they’re probably going to get hammered for it. Vacated wins isn’t even a punishment in the eyes of the NCAA.

I won’t say I’ll be surprised if the ncaa doesn’t give them another post season ban and then some because, lawl NCAA, but given there history and precedent and all there’s more than enough there for them to do it now.

I do think Louisville could point to inconsistencies between bowen’s testimony and previous statements to the fbi to show that he’s not a credible source. So as always it’s gonna be all about what the NCAA wants to do.

Then have him build veteran teams bro. Every coach is trying to win with what they get and what they have.
So you want me to "have him build veteran teams"??? I'm just a fan, I don't have that kind of pull.
I would love it if these kids stayed 2 or 3 years. I get it, there's no way guys like Davis, Wall, Cousins, Townes and Randal are going to stay more than one year, but so many of the others would have made a huge difference if that came back to school. But unfortunately, guys like Marquise Teague, Daniel Orton, Booker, Murray, Fox, Bledsoe and a host of others chased NBA. Can't blame them. They don't want to go to class and have to deal with practice restrictions. To them, the D-League is a better option. So if they don't make an NBA roster they're still in good shape.
I hate it, but I can't do a thing about it.

So you want me to "have him build veteran teams"??? I'm just a fan, I don't have that kind of pull.
I would love it if these kids stayed 2 or 3 years. I get it, there's no way guys like Davis, Wall, Cousins, Townes and Randal are going to stay more than one year, but so many of the others would have made a huge difference if that came back to school. But unfortunately, guys like Marquise Teague, Daniel Orton, Booker, Murray, Fox, Bledsoe and a host of others chased NBA. Can't blame them. They don't want to go to class and have to deal with practice restrictions. To them, the D-League is a better option. So if they don't make an NBA roster they're still in good shape.
I hate it, but I can't do a thing about it.
I get it, but maybe Cal should alter his pitch coming in and also tell him to listen to the scouts eval. If you don’t go one, build your stock. If your actually worth your salt, it’ll be bigger and better next season when you prove it. He can’t sell them on one thing and expect the next. It’s not wrong, but it also might not be better than one title per decade with a treasure chest of Unheard of talent.

Self has had squads that are near locks to win and don’t. It’s the game. Cal can work an angle but if NC are the goal—he has been no more successful than the upper crust of b-ball. What he has accomplished with other top coaches, is have them in the mix every year. Or close to it

Cal gets slammed for lack of results with the best talent. Self gets slammed for a bunch of shit. Comes with the territory of not winning titles when you should. Fair game.
The NCAAT is too random. The best team doesn't always win. One bad game and you are out.
Anyone that thinks Cal has been a failure at UK is a total idiot. same for Bill Self. Both coaches have had incredible runs in the NCAAT. Both are doing it with a whole bunch of freshmen too.
UL fans and guys like UNCfaninKY like to knock Cal down because he only has 1 title with "all that talent". Name a coach that has better results with freshmen. There isn't one. Coach K is the best coach of all time and he can't figure out how to win it all with freshmen, but that's okay I guess.

Last edited:
The NCAAT is too random. The best team doesn't always win. One bad game snd you are out.
Anyone that thinks Cal has been a failure at UK is a total.idiot. same for Bill Self. Both coaches have had incredible runs in the NCAAT. Both are doing it with a whole bunch of freshmen too.
UL fans and guys like UNCfaninKY like to knock Cal down because he only has 1 title with "all that talent". Name a coach that has better results with freshmen. There isn't one. Coach K is the best coach of all time and he can't figure out how to win it all with freshmen, but that's okay I guess.
No one has(figured out how to win[title] with all freshman). The reason Cal catches the shit he does, is because, well----he brings it on TBH. He promotes having, "all freshman". Its who he is. And no big deal. BUT...when you do that...well you're gonna catch some shit.

BTW---I think Cal is solid.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
I get it, but maybe Cal should alter his pitch coming in and also tell him to listen to the scouts eval. If you don’t go one, build your stock. If your actually worth your salt, it’ll be bigger and better next season when you prove it. He can’t sell them on one thing and expect the next. It’s not wrong, but it also might not be better than one title per decade with a treasure chest of Unheard of talent.
See that's not going to work. The NBA drafts on potential. UK, KU and Duke are all recruiting the best players they can and they're ending up with kids that have great upside.
When you do that, you end up with kids that know they have to go after one year because if they don't they'll be losing millions.
But to me, there are 3 coaches that have more titles than Cal since Cal has been at UK and each coach has two titles in that timeframe.
Had Cal won it all in 2015, this is a different conversation.
It's not like he's been a failure at UK and how much can you cut him down for his years at UMass and Memphis? Heck, Roy had a total of zero titles at KU, but nobody talks about that.
Sorry for the long post.

No one has(figured out how to win[title] with all freshman). The reason Cal catches the shit he does, is because, well----he brings it on TBH. He promotes having, "all freshman". Its who he is. And no big deal. BUT...when you do that...well you're gonna catch some shit.

He's doing something right because he's getting more players drafted than anybody and he isn't the one recruiting at the highest level now.
He's taking hs kids and getting them to perform well enough to go pro after 1 season.
Who else gets Shai Alexander in the lottery after 1 season? Nobody.
But also, it's not like Cal isn't winning. He's one title short right now, but I'm thinking most schools would love to have four final fours in in 5 years and 1 title. That's not the resume of a coach that sucks.

K won a title in 2015 with 3 one-and-dones...
yup and Cal won it in 2012 with one and done players. But both of those teams also had veteran players.
But also, K has failed with some serious one and done talent too. Nobody wants to talk about that. He's been consistently getting the top ranked class each year, but keeps falling short.
What's going to be said if he doesn't win it all this year with 3 top 5 players? Probably nothing. But if it was Cal, he'd get hammered.

That's true but Cal chooses to recruit that way.
He does to a point. But a lot of these kids show great potential or have a great year that weren't expected to and they leave. Shai Alexander for example. Kid was a 4* and went lottery. I'd say that's pretty good player development.

Last edited:

This criticism, that the system that Cal built (intentionally or not) that has high roster turnover and young rosters is not able to win as much as a program like UK should expect to win (ignoring that titles aren't everything, etc...), is perfectly valid. It's something that is discussed ad naseum among UK fans, and for good reason. It gets to how programs are built and sustained. Nice post.

The idiocy that most Cal critics spew (I'll refrain from naming them, but look for the word "talent"), that Cal can't coach because he doesn't win more with all that "talent," is a crock of $hit that ignores everything about age, experience and continuity contributing to victories, and relies solely on the promise of athletic potential (or its proxies, recruiting rankings and the NBA draft). (it also usually ignores outgoing "talent," which is also internally inconsistent). Yet this is the one that dominates this board that is full of supposedly knowledgeable college basketball fans. It's amazing in its persistence in the face of facts and logic.

He's doing something right because he's getting more players drafted than anybody and he isn't the one recruiting at the highest level now.
He's taking hs kids and getting them to perform well enough to go pro after 1 season.
But also, it's not like Cal isn't winning. He's one title short right now, but I'm thinking most schools would love to have four final fours in in 5 years and 1 title. That's not the resume of a coach that sucks.
You seriously think SGA isn’t O&D at any other school? You act like he’s the first 4* player to be O&D.

Reactions: KisteK
1. I wouldn't say no one else doesn't "get" SGA into the lottery. Sometimes kids are better(SGA), sometimes they are not(Skal). Plus look at Green. He was a 5*, Top 25 kid, who's now a sophomore. Not taking nothing away from Cal. My point is, it's not always the coach.
2. Never said Cal wasn't doing something right. He obviously is. And at a high level.

3. You are wrong---Most schools wouldn't take four, Final Fours and a title.

ALL OF THEM WOULD.

As I said---Cal is solid. Has his downfalls just like any coach.

This criticism, that the system that Cal built (intentionally or not) that has high roster turnover and young rosters is not able to win as much as a program like UK should expect to win (ignoring that titles aren't everything, etc...), is perfectly valid. It's something that is discussed ad naseum among UK fans, and for good reason. It gets to how programs are built and sustained. Nice post.

The idiocy that most Cal critics spew (I'll refrain from naming them, but look for the word "talent"), that Cal can't coach because he doesn't win more with all that "talent," is a crock of $hit that ignores everything about age, experience and continuity contributing to victories, and relies solely on the promise of athletic potential (or its proxies, recruiting rankings and the NBA draft). (it also usually ignores outgoing "talent," which is also internally inconsistent). Yet this is the one that dominates this board that is full of supposedly knowledgeable college basketball fans. It's amazing in its persistence in the face of facts and logic.
Cal is a terrific coach. He really is. He has some shortcomings. But all coaches do. He just catches MORE shit, because of how---well, flamboyant he is; He ain't shy. I've have the privilege of meeting him---Yes, privilege. Off the court, he's, I mean...you wouldn't even know he is, who he is. Very dwn to earth. BUT.............

Put him in that BBN garb, and in front of a TV camera??? Yeah. But hey, its who he is WHEN being COACH John Calipari; Not just John Calipari.

But look---warranted it, or not, when you are as "flamboyant" as John. Coach at UK. Get all the talent he gets----And "only" have one title? Well, you're gonna catch shit. It's part of it.

For those who say he cannot coach---Just stupid. Of course he can. He won at UMass and Memphis, w/o this type of talent. He's a Top 5'ish, 10'ish coach. Depending on the criteria.

You seriously think SGA isn’t O&D at any other school? You act like he’s the first 4* player to be O&D.
A high, 4* at that. Ranked 34th. A mere 5 spots shy of being a 5*. I mean if Cal worked a miracle and got SGA in the lottery. Then why couldn't he work that same miracle on Green? WHo was a 5*.

Its not a knock on Cal. It just shows that to much is sometimes put on the coach.

A high, 4* at that. Ranked 34th. A mere 5 spots shy of being a 5*. I mean if Cal worked a miracle and got SGA in the lottery. Then why couldn't he work that same miracle on Green? WHo was a 5*.

Its not a knock on Cal. It just shows that to much is sometimes put on the coach.
Or that rankings aren’t necessarily right.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Ya, there’s no way possible Roy could have a 4* O&D player.
What was I thinking?
Surely you're not referring to Bradley. He's really lighting up the league! RollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh

There's a difference in being a legit OAD and leaving because you're a dumb ass.

Reactions: JC for 3

Because Green is a slow, unathletic, 5'11" PG that doesn't do anything exceptionally well. How many of those do you see in the NBA?

Reactions: treyforuk
I've seen Roy turn 5* kids into 4 year players, but I've never seen him put a 4* into the NBA after 1 season.
Who else has put a 4* kid into the lottery after 1 season? I can't think of any, but I'm tired, it's been a long day.
I know it'll be hard for you to take a break from trashing UK fans while researching something to support your claim, but I have faith in you.

Because Green is a slow, unathletic, 5'11" PG that doesn't do anything exceptionally well. How many of those do you see in the NBA?
Then why did Cal recruit him? I mean, did he lie to him? Cal recruits, slow, unathletic PG's?

None of which is my point. Green was a 5*......SGA a 4*. To act as if it was some type of miracle to get a kid of SGA's talents, drafted, in the lotto, is silly. He was underrated. I guess.

Point is---Its not always the coach.

Green is only 6' tall and really doesn't bring much elae to the table. He doesn't have extreme athletesism and he foesn't shoot at a high enough percentage. He tried to work his inner Tyler Ulis, but not everyone can do that. Ge's a two year guy, but just because of his size.
Speaking of Tyler Ulis, not too many coaches get a 5'9" guy to the NBA in 2 years. Certainly not Roy.

Then why did Cal recruit him? I mean, did he lie to him? Cal recruits, slow, unathletic PG's?

None of which is my point. Green was a 5*......SGA a 4*. To act as if it was some type of miracle to get a kid of SGA's talents, drafted, in the lotto, is silly. He was underrated. I guess.

Point is---Its not always the coach.
What do you mean did he lie to him? I'm sure Green already knows he's short, slow, and unathletic.

Who else has put a 4* kid into the lottery after 1 season? I can't think of any, but I'm tired, it's been a long day.
Jeff, c'mon man. SGA was ranked 34th---Or 5 spots away from being a 5*. I mean its not like he was 100th or something. Not much of a difference between the 34th rated prospect, and the 29th(5*).

I mean I could ask----Who else has had the Top ranked player in the country, NOT GO in the lottery? It works both ways.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Jeff, c'mon man. SGA was ranked 34th---Or 5 spots away from being a 5*. I mean its not like he was 100th or something. Not much of a difference between the 34th rated prospect, and the 29th(5*).

I mean I could ask----Who else has had the Top ranked player in the country, NOT GO in the lottery? It works both ways.
It's still a very good accomplishment. I mean, SGA went ahead of dome dudes that were thought to be much better thsn him.
I aldo think tge UK staff did a great job of coaching him. He's going to stick in the NBA, he's not just a flash in the pan.

What do you mean did he lie to him? I'm sure Green already knows he's short, slow, and unathletic.
Cal sells the NBA....Is Green the one guy that he said to---"Sorry son, but you are slow, short and not very athletic. NBA doesn't take guys like you, but..........IF you come here....."

I mean, c'mon. You are purposely getting away from my point. And I don't know why. I mean some of you(not you) act as if getting the 34th ranked player in the country is sometype of miracle. It's not. SGA might as well been a 5*. He was that close.

It's still a very good accomplishment. I mean, SGA went ahead of dome dudes that were thought to be much better thsn him.
I aldo think tge UK staff did a great job of coaching him. He's going to stick in the NBA, he's not just a flash in the pan.
Including Quade Green.Winking

It's not that great, TBH. Kid was a fringe 5*. Now, if he were rated like 85th---Well, yeah.

Reactions: KisteK
Cal sells the NBA....Is Green the one guy that he said to---"Sorry son, but you are slow, short and not very athletic. NBA doesn't take guys like you, but..........IF you come here....."

I mean, c'mon. You are purposely getting away from my point. And I don't know why. I mean some of you(not you) act as if getting the 34th ranked player in the country is sometype of miracle. It's not. SGA might as well been a 5*. He was that close.
I think you're referring to me. I never said it was a miracle.
But name another 4* that went lottery. Going lottery is a whole lot different than just going first round.
Yeah, he was the 34th rated recruit, not college player, the 34th rated HIGH SCHOOL RECRUIT. It is a big desl, no, not a miracle, but he was still a 4* that went in the lottery after 1 season.
Name another 4* that did that?
Sure, Green and Tyler Ulis had to come back for their soph years, but every kid is different. Green will get to the league, it's just going to take him an additional season. That only makes Alexander's accomplishments that much more impressive.

Including Quade Green.Winking

It's not that great, TBH. Kid was a fringe 5*. Now, if he were rated like 85th---Well, yeah.
Again, he was a fringe 5* HIGH SCHOOL recruit, he was the 34th best HIGH SCHOOL player, not college, HIGH SCHOOL. There were thousands of college players he had to beat out to get into the lottery.

Never heard of him. Is that the guy that Kevin brought up a few posts back? Where did he go in the draft?
28th I believe. He was a 4* O&D player & never started a game in college. He never started a game in college, now that’s damn good coaching.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I mean, Cal is a really good coach. Using any player to prove a point is always a terrible way to go because there is always a counter. Cal puts guys in the league because he generally gets awesome players who would go wherever they ended up. He does a great job selling this to them, which isn't a knock. It is a good tactic.

This idea that a college coach has any bearing on how a player does in the NBA has always been one of the dumber things fans do. I loved the way UNC pushed the narrative when it benefited them but they in no way 'developed' pro players better than others. They just had players that ended up really good pros. The NBA does all the work on that end. It is up to the player and the NBA team.

Point to the job a college coach does getting them drafted if you want. That is at least somewhat legit. How they perform in the pros? Surely no one truly believes the college prep makes much of a difference.

Honestly, the fact that Roy is so successful with guys who are not great pros just demonstrates how awesome he really is. He beats your uber talented pros with less talented college type dudes.

No, Cal is not some miracle worker. SGA going pro after a year is not much of a shocker, although nobody in the world saw that coming before he came to UK.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT