ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 thread

Congrats on a likely W tonight, Tech fans. McCullar out, Harris either out or playing with a bad ankle, and no McDowell. Tough to overcome for a team with zero depth.

I think this team's going to take some more Ls, possibly even a blowout or two, but my hope is that they're healthy and peaking a few weeks from now.

Congrats on a likely W tonight, Tech fans. McCullar out, Harris either out or playing with a bad ankle, and no McDowell. Tough to overcome for a team with zero depth.

I think this team's going to take some more Ls, possibly even a blowout or two, but my hope is that they're healthy and peaking a few weeks from now.
Any idea on how long McCullar is out?

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Thank you. Always nice to get a win over KU. Hopefully we're over the flu now.

Darrion Williams had himself a game.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
He gave as good as he got headbutting and throwing elbows any chance he got.

Oh absolutely. Difference was he couldn’t get in anyone’s head and didn’t seem to handle well at all the Tech’s physical play. Tech gave him back the physical play. Washington’s energy really bothered him.

Iowa State is starting to look like the 2nd best team in the conference.
Can't believe I took Cincy. I tie Iowas St to their undeniable home-court advantage, didn't think they'd overcome Cincinnatii''s, plus my mom had tickets. I thought that meant something.

Clearly, I know very little.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Can't believe I took Cincy. I tie Iowas St to their undeniable home-court advantage, didn't think they'd overcome Cincinnatii''s, plus my mom had tickets. I thought that meant something.

Clearly, I know very little.

Felt like it was a true 50-50. Iowa State is the better team, but playing at Cincy made it relatively even. Iowa State has been playing really, really well as of late, though. Won 8 of their last 10 Big 12 games with the only losses coming to Baylor and BYU on the road.

They play at Houston next Monday. If somehow they could pull off an upset there, they would be in the driver's seat for the winning the regular season crown.

To this point, I think Houston and Iowa State are pretty clearly the best two teams in the Big 12 with KU and Baylor in 2a and 2b tier. Tech may finish with an inflated conference record but their B12 schedule has easily been the most favorable (KU, HOU, ISU only once).

Big Monday ISU @ HOU should be a good one. Likely decides the conference championship.

Reactions: KisteK and Visk
Hit the Iowa State (ML), TCU, Kansas trifecta yesterday; while my favorite program might not go far this tourney, I plan on going all the way 🤣🤣😭🤣

Didn’t see the game, but TCU’s been a fun team to watch the last few years. Underrated.

Reactions: KisteK
Road records for Big 12 teams
Houston, 3-3
Texas, 3-3
Cincinnati, 3-3
Iowa State, 3-4
Baylor, 3-4
TCU, 3-4
Texas Tech, 2-4
BYU, 2-4
Oklahoma, 2-4
Kansas, 2-5
Kansas State, 1-6
UCF, 1-6
West Virginia, 0-6
Oklahoma State, 0-6
Overall: 28-62 (31.1%)

Nobody has a winning record on the road in league play. UCF, WVU, and Okie State are seen as the weak links in the conference. But, those three teams actually have a combined home record of 10-9. Wins can be tough to come by in the Big 12, even more so on the road.

Houston, 3-3
Texas, 3-3
Cincinnati, 3-3
Iowa State, 3-4
Baylor, 3-4
TCU, 3-4
Texas Tech, 2-4
BYU, 2-4
Oklahoma, 2-4
Kansas, 2-5
Kansas State, 1-6
UCF, 1-6
West Virginia, 0-6
Oklahoma State, 0-6

Nobody has a winning record on the road in league play. UCF, WVU, and Okie State are seen as the weak links in the conference. But, those three teams actually have a combined home record of 10-9. Wins can be tough to come by in the Big 12, even more so on the road.
Big Ten Road teams are at 29.8% winning percentage.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I thought Texas Tech was very fortunate Joe Toussaint wasn't called for a foul late with 20 seconds left. TCU was down by one and they trapped Toussaint in the corner - he split the double and got out of it by hooking Jameer Nelson.

Though, I guess you could argue the Big 12 refs let a lot of fouls go.

Reactions: KisteK
I thought Texas Tech was very fortunate Joe Toussaint wasn't called for a foul late with 20 seconds left. TCU was down by one and they trapped Toussaint in the corner - he split the double and got out of it by hooking Jameer Nelson.

Though, I guess you could argue the Big 12 refs let a lot of fouls go.
TCU was mugging the chit out of us. Coles pulled Lindsey by the shoulder and ripped him down to get a rebound and wasn't called. I know you can't call everything but those refs were trash. And I'm sure TCU fans feel the same way.

That's one reason I wouldn't bet on Houston in the tourney. Force them to play less aggressively or collect a lot of fouls, and they'll be very beatable.

That's a fair take. You never know what kind of whistle you're going to get in the tournament. How a game is officiated in one game could lead to their demise.

Houston is going to play aggressive no matter what. Though, if there's a foul discrepancy of 7 to 2 against Houston, I'm sure Sampson won't hesitate to point that out. Refs can be fragile and often overcorrect when a coach is complaining about the foul discrepancy, thus awarding the complaining coach with a more favorable whistle.

TCU was mugging the chit out of us. Coles pulled Lindsey by the shoulder and ripped him down to get a rebound and wasn't called. I know you can't call everything but those refs were trash. And I'm sure TCU fans feel the same way.

I feel like Big 12 refs let more fouls go than any other power conference. They allow for A LOT of physical contact. It's nice not having a whistle called every 30 seconds, but sometimes they're a little too lax on regulating the game.

Reactions: TechFan88
Houston, 3-3
Texas, 3-3
Cincinnati, 3-3
Iowa State, 3-4
Baylor, 3-4
TCU, 3-4
Texas Tech, 2-4
BYU, 2-4
Oklahoma, 2-4
Kansas, 2-5
Kansas State, 1-6
UCF, 1-6
West Virginia, 0-6
Oklahoma State, 0-6

Purdue is the only team with a winning record on the road in Big Ten play:

PURDUE: 5-3
Illinois: 3-4
Iowa: 3-5
Michigan State: 3-5
Wisconsin: 3-5
Indiana: 2-5
Minnesota: 2-5
Penn State: 2-5
Rutgers: 2-5
Maryland: 2-6
Northwestern: 2-6
Michigan: 1-5
Nebraska: 1-7
Ohio State: 0-7

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Purdue is the only team with a winning record on the road in Big Ten play:

PURDUE: 5-3
Illinois: 3-4
Iowa: 3-5
Michigan State: 3-5
Wisconsin: 3-5
Indiana: 2-5
Minnesota: 2-5
Penn State: 2-5
Rutgers: 2-5
Maryland: 2-6
Northwestern: 2-6
Michigan: 1-5
Nebraska: 1-7
Ohio State: 0-7

I like when somebody says that so and so struggles on the road. Like, uh...who doesn't this year?

Reactions: boilerzz
That's a fair take. You never know what kind of whistle you're going to get in the tournament. How a game is officiated in one game could lead to their demise.

Houston is going to play aggressive no matter what. Though, if there's a foul discrepancy of 7 to 2 against Houston, I'm sure Sampson won't hesitate to point that out. Refs can be fragile and often overcorrect when a coach is complaining about the foul discrepancy, thus awarding the complaining coach with a more favorable whistle.

I feel like Big 12 refs let more fouls go than any other power conference. They allow for A LOT of physical contact. It's nice not having a whistle called every 30 seconds, but sometimes they're a little too lax on regulating the game.
Not a fan of makeup calls. It results in two bs calls.

Tech exposed the last couple weeks. Kansas with an L at home tonight without McCullar to BYU - impressive win for them.

Houston, then Baylor & Iowa State, pretty clearly the top 3 IMO. Kansas there when healthy.

Tech exposed the last couple weeks. Kansas with an L at home tonight without McCullar to BYU - impressive win for them.

Houston, then Baylor & Iowa State, pretty clearly the top 3 IMO. Kansas there when healthy.
KU already had a short bench. Playing without McCullar they are struggling to find their legs. They generally play well the first half but have to fight hard to hold on. Had a 12 pt lead on BYU but I think the last 13 minutes of the game they only made 3 shots. Plenty of good looks but nothing falling. They missed something like 7 out of 9 FTs too. And defensively couldn’t stay in front of anybody late in the game.

We're down 2 starters and beat up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT