ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 thread

Houston is hard to beat when they shooting 50%. Congrats.

Also congrats to UCF.

soft-kobe-bryant.gif

Thanks, and I agree with these coaches. Even though they are getting a little sensitive about a hand geniture. What if we did the hand sign for we are #1? Are people going to cry about that?

#UCFacts

:cool:

Next 6 games for Texas
January 20th: vs #9 Baylor
January 23rd: at #15 Oklahoma
January 27th: at #20 BYU
January 29th: vs #5 Houston
February 3rd: at #19 TCU
February 6th: vs #24 Iowa State

If we're being honest, Texas probably won't be favored in any of the next 6 games (maybe Iowa State at home?). Yes, they could easily win a game or two. But, this upcoming 6 game-stretch is tough. It's not unreasonable to think they could be 2-8 in Big 12 play through the first 10 league games.

Next 6 games for Texas

If we're being honest, Texas probably won't be favored in any of the next 6 games (maybe Iowa State at home?). Yes, they could easily win a game or two. But, this upcoming 6 game-stretch is tough. It's not unreasonable to think they could be 2-8 in Big 12 play through the first 10 league games.
This year, everyone's schedule is going to look like that. This league feels extra tough.

Next 6 games for Texas

That’s a lot of horns down in the handshake lines.

Crazy that this Houston/BYU matchup is buried on Espn+. Great game.

I believe they already had the ESPN+ games set at the start of the season. I wish they would allow some flexibility, however, as almost no Oklahoma State game deserves to be featured in prime time. OSU fans have already given up on their team. Game went down to the final minute and there was a lot of empty seats.

72332942007-usatsi-22357999.jpg

The Houston-BYU game was fun. Just didn't like how it finished. Game tied at 68 and Houston goes on a 7-0 run, winning on free throws. Sharp was crafty, getting the ref to award him with free throws.

Next 6 games for Texas

Looks like I lit a fire inside of Texas. 2 for 2 since I posted this. Longhorns have taken a big jump from 59th to 44th in the Net Rankings. Anybody that didn't have an atrocious OOC season that can go 9-9 in Big 12 play is almost certainly making the tournament. Last night's win would put Texas on the right side of the bubble, IMO. Obviously still a lot of games to be played.

I believe they already had the ESPN+ games set at the start of the season. I wish they would allow some flexibility, however, as almost no Oklahoma State game deserves to be featured in prime time. OSU fans have already given up on their team. Game went down to the final minute and there was a lot of empty seats.

72332942007-usatsi-22357999.jpg

The Houston-BYU game was fun. Just didn't like how it finished. Game tied at 68 and Houston goes on a 7-0 run, winning on free throws. Sharp was crafty, getting the ref to award him with free throws.

I was really banking on BYU to get hot shooting and get a win at home. Houston really is a good team though. So far the only consistent team winning on the road.

Houston’s good, but also overrated. According to Kenpom, they’re better than all but a few teams in the last 20 years. Please.

I was really banking on BYU to get hot shooting and get a win at home. Houston really is a good team though. So far the only consistent team winning on the road.

I had Houston at 5 points in the Pick'Em. I'm probably going to pick Houston every time just because I trust them way more than anyone else in the Big 12. Their only losses came on the road in the final minute of play.

BYU had plenty of chances, though. Knell is an excellent, high-volume three-point shooter (45%); he didn't have anyone within 10 feet of him. That shot could have put them over the top.

Knell-open3-Houston.jpg

Houston’s good, but also overrated. According to Kenpom, they’re better than all but a few teams in the last 20 years. Please.

Not sure where their current rating would put them in the all-time ranks, but they're clearly not a top 10 team in the KenPom area. But, I do feel confident in saying they're the best team in the Big 12.

Ugh! I was looking at some of the historical rankings of KenPom teams and I know he recently added the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons. It's painful to see where the '99 Duke is ranked, knowing we didn't win a title. The margin between '99 Duke and everyone else is substantial.

1. '99 Duke, 43.01
2. '01 Duke, 37.32
3. '15 Kentucky, 36.91

Reactions: KisteK
I had Houston at 5 points in the Pick'Em. I'm probably going to pick Houston every time just because I trust them way more than anyone else in the Big 12. Their only losses came on the road in the final minute of play.

BYU had plenty of chances, though. Knell is an excellent, high-volume three-point shooter (45%); he didn't have anyone within 10 feet of him. That shot could have put them over the top.

Knell-open3-Houston.jpg
I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the new teams have done besides Houston of course. But the other 3 have held their own and won some tough games already. Next year is going to be nuts with adding Zona and the others.

Their Defensive effort is no joke. I was shocked at how well they play together. They don't slow down. And they have several shooters who can go off any given night. I'd say they are easily one of the top 5 teams in the country this year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the new teams have done besides Houston of course. But the other 3 have held their own and won some tough games already. Next year is going to be nuts with adding Zona and the others.

Absolutely! Houston, IMO, will likely earn a 1 seed (maybe go 13-5 in league play). And Cincy and BYU should make the tournament. And heck, UCF is 3-3 in league play and has to at least be considered a bubble team at this point.

Arizona should continue to be a top 10 program. Zona, Kansas, Baylor, and Houston in the same league is really exciting... The other 3 schools joining the Big 12 could potentially dilute the strength of the conference. Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah seem to be more like teams on the bubble or playing in the NIT. But, I was probably saying the same thing a year ago with the 3 non-Houston newbies this year.

Their Defensive effort is no joke. I was shocked at how well they play together. They don't slow down. And they have several shooters who can go off any given night. I'd say they are easily one of the top 5 teams in the country this year.

Yep! As Fran Fraschilla often says, it's like playing 5 on 7 when you go against Houston's defense. Not sure who the best team in the country is, but I'd put Houston right there with Purdue and UConn.

Reactions: Necessary Roughness
Not sure where their current rating would put them in the all-time ranks, but they're clearly not a top 10 team in the KenPom area. But, I do feel confident in saying they're the best team in the Big 12.

They probably are, but they still haven't proven a lot. They've lost to the two best teams they've played IMO, both of which are probably fringe top 20 caliber teams.

Ugh! I was looking at some of the historical rankings of KenPom teams and I know he recently added the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons. It's painful to see where the '99 Duke is ranked, knowing we didn't win a title. The margin between '99 Duke and everyone else is substantial.

1. '99 Duke, 43.01
2. '01 Duke, 37.32
3. '15 Kentucky, 36.91

43? 🤣

Do you have to subscribe to see that? I can only see back to 2002.

They probably are, but they still haven't proven a lot. They've lost to the two best teams they've played IMO, both of which are probably fringe top 20 caliber teams.

5 Quad 1 wins, compared to two road losses against ranked teams by a combined 5 points. They're beatable, for sure, but I do think they're the team to beat in the Big 12.
43? 🤣

Do you have to subscribe to see that? I can only see back to 2002.

Yep. I think it only costs $20 a year. Definitely worth the value. I spend time on KenPom 7 days a week.

The 43 AdjEM is ridiculous. But, remember when Khalid El-Amin was talking about "shocking the world" before they played Duke? UConn was 33-2 going into that game and Duke was still a 9.5 point favorite. You'd never think of a 1 seed, with only 2 losses on the season, being a 9.5 point underdog - and trying to shock the world. But, there definitely was a perceived gap between that Duke team and everyone else. 33 of our 37 wins were by double-digits. That Duke team was somewhat oblivious to the emotions of playing in a close game.

5 Quad 1 wins, compared to two road losses against ranked teams by a combined 5 points. They're beatable, for sure, but I do think they're the team to beat in the Big 12.

But, of course, not all quad 1 wins are created equal. I believe theirs are Dayton, Texas Tech, BYU, A&M and Xavier? I think any team in the B12 (with exception of Ok St) is capable of beating any of those teams. Houston might be a legit top 5, and maybe even the best team in the country, but they need to prove it.

Btw, Iowa St and TCU were only ranked after beating Houston. But I do think both are solid, especially Iowa St.

Yep. I think it only costs $20 a year. Definitely worth the value. I spend time on KenPom 7 days a week.

The 43 AdjEM is ridiculous. But, remember when Khalid El-Amin was talking about "shocking the world" before they played Duke? UConn was 33-2 going into that game and Duke was still a 9.5 point favorite. You'd never think of a 1 seed, with only 2 losses on the season, being a 9.5 point underdog - and trying to shock the world. But, there definitely was a perceived gap between that Duke team and everyone else. 33 of our 37 wins were by double-digits. That Duke team was somewhat oblivious to the emotions of playing in a close game.

That's an insane number. Probably won't see it again. I honestly don't remember a lot about that Duke team.

Reactions: dukedevilz
But, of course, not all quad 1 wins are created equal.

This is true. And I expect them to lose a few more Big 12 games. Just think they have a higher ceiling than anyone else in the league. Road games against Texas and Kansas next week should give us a better idea.

That's an insane number. Probably won't see it again. I honestly don't remember a lot about that Duke team.

Ratings of 127.7 on offense and 84.7 on defense. We neutered teams left and right. Maryland was a 2 seed and we beat them both times by 18. UNC was a 3 seed and we beat them by 20 and 23 points. Florida was a Sweet 16 team and we beat them by 30. We didn't pound Kentucky, but beat them by 11 (Elite 8 squad).

We had 4 lottery picks in the 99 draft. And then the next year we had Carrawell and Battier, who both earned 2nd Team All-American honors; they both started on the '99 team. Crazy talented bunch.

What’s with the ridiculous camera angle in the TCU-Baylor game? Is the camera mounted on the roof?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
What’s with the ridiculous camera angle in the TCU-Baylor game? Is the camera mounted on the roof?

Foster Pavilion seats 7,500 rather than 10,000 old arena. Higher angle seats gets you higher angle camera.

Rodney Terry complained about the UCF players doing the "horns down" gesture a few days ago - and then this past weekend someone asked BYU students to remove their horns down shirts lol. And I didn't even known this, but apparently if a football player makes a horns down gesture, they could be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Sheesh!

Texas is going to love the Horns Down Treatment they'll receive in the SEC lol. It's going to be magnified 10 fold because of this. And it's well-deserved.

Rodney Terry complained about the UCF players doing the "horns down" gesture a few days ago - and then this past weekend someone asked BYU students to remove their horns down shirts lol. And I didn't even known this, but apparently if a football player makes a horns down gesture, they could be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Sheesh!

Texas is going to love the Horns Down Treatment they'll receive in the SEC lol. It's going to be magnified 10 fold because of this. And it's well-deserved.
Charmin Soft

SEC going to eat them alive.

Making a big deal about it just cemented them getting that treatment for years to come. Anyone who has siblings knows that’s the worst thing you can do.

That flop call was egregious. Lots of other ticky tacky calls but he definitely influenced the game. TCU still played their asses off, so congrats to them.

TCU shooting 55% from 3 rather than their normal 30 something % didn't help.

Peavy had a career night because of course. I will be glad when all these guys that used to be on Tech's team graduate.

Reactions: Necessary Roughness
TCU shooting 55% from 3 rather than their normal 30 something % didn't help.

Peavy had a career night because of course. I will be glad when all these guys that used to be on Tech's team graduate.
I was shocked that the announcers didn't mention he was a former Tech player as to why he might be going off. At least I didn't hear it anyway.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT