ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10 POWER RANKINGS

BIG fans, where does this season rank compared to 87, 88, or 89?

In terms of depth of the league.

It doesn't compare until/unless the conference sends at least one team to the F4 and several more make deep runs in the tourney.

Agreed, but just play along. 88, the BIG 10 had a bunch of preseason top 25 teams. At this point in the season, I would guess we have more teams ranked at this point then we did in 88.

Agreed, but just play along. 88, the BIG 10 had a bunch of preseason top 25 teams. At this point in the season, I would guess we have more teams ranked at this point then we did in 88.

Conference is as deep as it's been in a very long time, but lacks the multiple elite teams that the late 80s had. Michigan is elite, but that's pretty much it. A couple more could definitely make runs, but as of now I only see Michigan as an elite F4 favorite. Back in the late 80s there were always at least 2 teams that fit that category.

Conference is as deep as it's been in a very long time, but lacks the multiple elite teams that the late 80s had. Michigan is elite, but that's pretty much it. A couple more could definitely make runs, but as of now I only see Michigan as an elite F4 favorite. Back in the late 80s there were always at least 2 teams that fit that category.

Agreed. There were 3 to maybe 4 legit FF/NC contenders in the league back then.

Michigan is really the only one at this point. I do see a couple potential elite 8 teams.

BIG fans, where does this season rank compared to 87, 88, or 89?

In terms of depth of the league.
I've said it a hundred times before....the BIG desperately needs for IU to start acting like a blueblood! If anything, just the exposure that a top 5 IU team will bring to the conference as a whole.

I've said it a hundred times before....the BIG desperately needs for IU to start acting like a blueblood! If anything, just the exposure that a top 5 IU team will bring to the conference as a whole.

No they don’t. This isn’t the 1980s, every game is on tv. The B1G has its own network, you’re not getting more exposure than that.

After all the games, if I had to re-do the rankings, this is how it would look

1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Nebraska
4. IU
5. Wisconsin
6. Purdue
7. Ohio State
8. Maryland
9. Iowa
10. Northwestern
11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Illinois
14. Rutgers

Before yesterday, I would’ve had IU behind Wisconsin, but Wisconsin lost to a team IU beat. What’s crazy is that 9 of those teams are solidly in the tournament. Northwestern is also looking like a potential bubble team.

1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Nebraska
4. IU
5. Wisconsin
6. Purdue
7. Ohio State
8. Maryland
9. Iowa
10. Northwestern
11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Illinois
14. Rutgers

Before yesterday, I would’ve had IU behind Wisconsin, but Wisconsin lost to a team IU beat. What’s crazy is that 9 of those teams are solidly in the tournament. Northwestern is also looking like a potential bubble team.

I'd swap Purdue and Wisconsin

No they don’t. This isn’t the 1980s, every game is on tv. The B1G has its own network, you’re not getting more exposure than that.

Yeah, I don't get the "B1G needs Indiana" thing. Indiana being goods increases the odds of the Big Ten winning a title which helps fend off SEC basketball trolls from the ole "B1G hasn't won a title since _____" crap. There could be a slight uptick in exposure but the good teams are already getting exposure and the bad teams are helpless either way.

1. Michigan
2. Michigan State
3. Nebraska
4. IU
5. Wisconsin
6. Purdue
7. Ohio State
8. Maryland
9. Iowa
10. Northwestern
11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Illinois
14. Rutgers

Northwestern

Best Wins: Utah (Neutral), Georgia Tech, DePaul

Losses: @Indiana, Michigan, Fresno State (Neutral)

Minnesota

Best Wins: #24 Nebraska, Washington (Neutral), OK State, Texas A&M (Neutral), Utah

Losses: @Boston College, @Ohio State

Minnesota has a better record and resume atm, over Northwestern. NW is likely to start the conference season 0-3 as well. Just not seeing them as a potential bubble team.

Reactions: bMORE607
Northwestern

Best Wins: Utah (Neutral), Georgia Tech, DePaul

Losses: @Indiana, Michigan, Fresno State (Neutral)

Minnesota

Best Wins: #24 Nebraska, Washington (Neutral), OK State, Texas A&M (Neutral), Utah

Losses: @Boston College, @Ohio State

Minnesota has a better record and resume atm, over Northwestern. NW is likely to start the conference season 0-3 as well. Just not seeing them as a potential bubble team.
I didn’t realize Minny beat Nebraska. That changes things, I’d probably switch Minnesota and Northwestern.

Big 10 is gonna be tough. IMO, only games you can feel good about winning, would be against Illinis and Rutgers. Its gonna be tough.

I'd swap Purdue and Wisconsin

giphy.gif

Hey assholes, you guys are going to have to play MSU and Wisconsin to.

We didn't draw cheap dates like Purdue and Minnesota.

1. Indiana
2. Penn State
3. Northwestern
4. Michigan
5. Wisconsin
6. Michigan State
7. Nebraska
8. Maryland
9. Ohio State
10. Minnesota
11. Rutgers
12. Purdue

13 Iowa

14. Illinois

You know, Michigan beat NW at NW.

@fluoxetine is a god damn rutgers fan

giphy.gif
Rutgers is on the rise. If this was last year they’d probably go around 7-11. Too bad it’s in one of the toughest years in the BIG yet and they’ll be fighting for 11th at best. They’ll beat some good teams this year.

Rutgers is on the rise. If this was last year they’d probably go around 7-11. Too bad it’s in one of the toughest years in the BIG yet and they’ll be fighting for 11th at best. They’ll beat some good teams this year.
Rutgers just lost to Fordham. No, that's not ranked Furman. It's KenPom #231 Fordham.

Reactions: SNU0821
Yeah I realize they’re not good. I still think they finish 14th but they did give Wisconsin a game,

To be fair they seem to always give us a game or even beat us. And still finish in the basement.

Exactly how do you know how good Pitt or bad Pitt is? Enlighten us. They start 3 freshmen and their top players are freshmen and transfers that didn't even play at Pitt last year outside Wilson-Frame.

You are the expert on Pitt basketball now? 7 games into the season Pitt beat the preseason A-10 favorite on a neutral floor and lost by 1 point on the road against an undefeated Iowa team that blasted UConn and Oregon right out of the gym.

Are you being facetious? Everyone thinks Stallings still coaches at Pitt and this is the same team as last year when last years players and starters don't even play. All 5 starters from last year, changed and don't start any more. 3 Transferred and left the team.

Whats your opinion on North Carolina? Im quite familiar with Cam Johnson, he played at Pitt and is Carolina's leading scorer. If Kerwin Roach can roast North Carolina's defense from Texas, just wait until Xavier Johnson plays them in Pitt's first ACC game January 5th. Johnson is going to tear that defense apart and then, my friend, you are going to realize Pitt's freshmen are far better then you or anyone thought. Unless of course, Carolina isn't any good too.

Cutting up Iowa because of Pitt is pathetic. Pitts freshmen are going to surprise and beat a lot of people this year, mark it down because some people are going to get their eyes opened up real soon when conference play starts

Pittsburgh lost to Niagra at home. Pittsburgh sucks.

Updated

UM
MSU
Wisconsin
OSU
Nebraska
Indiana
Iowa
Minnesota
Purdue
Maryland
Northwestern