ADVERTISEMENT

Avenatti on Duke

And if they can prove that Duke knew his family recieved money and they can prove it was in return for Zion's commitment to Duke, then Duke should be held accountable. But literally the only thing that suggests that it directly involves Duke is because a proven liar who is in desperation mode simply mentions Duke. That and some tin foil hat Kentucky fans thinkthi that Nike is out to get Calipari.

I don’t care about the UK/Duke reverse circle jerk ITT.

I’m just fascinated by the developments. Unfortunately for duke, whether they knew or not doesn’t matter. If Zion’s parents took money from Nike, regardless of why, Duke played an ineligible player. Now, if that is the case, what the NCAA does with that situation is anyone’s guess. But with their new hard line takes on stuff these days, might not be good.

I’m just fascinated by the developments. Unfortunately for duke, whether they knew or not doesn’t matter. If Zion’s parents took money from Nike, regardless of why, Duke played an ineligible player. Now, if that is the case, what the NCAA does with that situation is anyone’s guess. But with their new hard line takes on stuff these days, might not be good.

According to Avanatti, there are 100 ineligible players. Duke gets the headlines, but no other Nike school should feel safe (if true).

There needs to be a penalty for players/family members that knowingly accept improper benefits and lie to schools. They should have to sign a waiver that makes them financially responsible if their deception costs schools wins/money.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
If Nike paid Zion's mom and there are no emails or recording saying "Zion must go to Duke for you to receive these consulting fees", how do we not know he was just required to attend a Nike school? That seems like a logical explanation right?

What was she consulting about? Does she have a background in consulting? Legitimate questions that I don't know the answer to, but are probably fairly pertinent.

If Nike paid Zion's mom and there are no emails or recording saying "Zion must go to Duke for you to receive these consulting fees", how do we not know he was just required to attend a Nike school? That seems like a logical explanation right?

Whether Duke knew he was ineligible or not might be irrelevant, depending on how the NCAA wants to interpret its own rules. If it's strict liability, like every case before 2001 or so, then the games are vacated and money has to be paid back. If it's not strict liability and the ineligible player is no longer at the university, the NCAA might just shrug its shoulders and say "what can we do?"

Still don't understand the different scenarios huh? Not surprising.

So you 1) make an inaccurate assessment of what I understand (I understand just fine, thanks) and 2) throw in an insult? You seem like a reactionary twat, but since even your screen name is trolling I shouldn't be surprised.

There needs to be a penalty for players/family members that knowingly accept improper benefits and lie to schools. They should have to sign a waiver that makes them financially responsible if their deception costs schools wins/money.

It would definitely improve the situation.

Reactions: toonces11

It is definitely intriguing. I have said from the beginning when the FBI cases came to light that I was nervously intrigued. I just can't see programs being punished if it can't be proven to be involved. Though, as you alluded to, it would be at their discretion. With the scope of the scandals, it would almost be financial suicide for the NCAA to punish the schools for something (allegedly) outside of their knowledge and not financed by the institutions. But we'll see.

So you 1) make an inaccurate assessment of what I understand (I understand just fine, thanks) and 2) throw in an insult? You seem like a reactionary twat, but since even your screen name is trolling I shouldn't be surprised.
The questions you ask about Camby show you don't have an accurate assessment of the situation.

I’m not sure ncaa enforcement vacates games as a punishment. It’s just something they do. Punishments are probation, reduced scholarships, suspensions, post season bans.

They could rule Zion retroactively ineligible, vacate the games he played in and not do anything to duke really.

And honestly why would you even care if you’re a duke fan? What’s an E8 and another ACC title to you?

For Kansas, UK and UNC fans that are separated by what...30 wins for the all time wins lead?, vacated games are a bigger deal.

Losing a banner would suck too imo.

Whether Duke knew he was ineligible or not might be irrelevant, depending on how the NCAA wants to interpret its own rules. If it's strict liability, like every case before 2001 or so, then the games are vacated and money has to be paid back. If it's not strict liability and the ineligible player is no longer at the university, the NCAA might just shrug its shoulders and say "what can we do?"
So you think Duke is guilty?

What was she consulting about? Does she have a background in consulting? Legitimate questions that I don't know the answer to, but are probably fairly pertinent.
Not really. Nike can pay anyone they want a consulting fee. None of your business or my business or the NCAA's business.

Not really. If they are consulting fees and she got a 1099 or W2 it is legal. If it is cash under the table, then a problem maybe.

If nothing on tape or emails or evidence then it is nothing.

So you think Duke is guilty?

It has nothing to do with guilt. The NCAA has ruled before that it doesn't matter if the university didn't know. A player and/or their family getting paid to steer them makes them ineligible.

The NCAA has never been consistent with their punishment though so I'd be stunned if they did anything here. At worst they take the ACC title and E8 appearance away. Who cares.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
It has nothing to do with guilt. The NCAA has ruled before that it doesn't matter if the university didn't know. A player and/or their family getting paid to steer them makes them ineligible.

The NCAA has never been consistent with their punishment though so I'd be stunned if they did anything here. At worst they take the ACC title and E8 appearance away. Who cares.
Don't forget the November 7th championship trophy.

How do you know steering him to Duke was part of it?

How do you know steering him to Duke was part of it?

It doesn't have to be steering him towards Duke. If they took money to steer him to a Nike school he by rule is ineligible. Stop being dense and playing strawman for one second please.

It doesn't have to be steering him towards Duke. If they took money to steer him to a Nike school he by rule is ineligible. Stop being dense and playing strawman for one second please.

You will never get through to that guy.

Reactions: kl40504
When you get some proof of your wishes and hopes give us a call

When you get some proof of your wishes and hopes give us a call

Yes it's me person waiting on Duke getting hammered. If you could read you would have seen my first post (that you quoted) I said this was nothing. But keep on trucking bud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT