ADVERTISEMENT

Another school shooting

Bullying is addressed heavily in schools. It probably isn't at home but at schools it is heavily emphasized.

Reactions: bkingUK
Bullying is addressed heavily in schools. It probably isn't at home but at schools it is heavily emphasized.
Not enough. If it were, I'd be willing to bet tragedies such as these would start to decline. It's a problem not seen as a precursor. Just seen as a problem. Now obviously I cannot speak on the behalf of every single school district, in the Untied States. But I do have a good grasp on it here. And aside from a bunch of mouth movement, not much is being done. There's a difference in a addressing an issue, opposed to do something about said issue. Maybe the majority of schools are addressing bullying. Well, do more. Pass out more serious consequences. Start holding parents accountable. Just do something.

Reactions: treyforuk
I mean, you can't legislate parenting. How do you hold them responsible? The schools have no way to do that. They aren't allowed to.

You know that every time you suspend a kid it counts against your school in terms of whether or not your schools is allowed to function on its own or whether or not the government can take it over? Every bit of hard discipline that schools can use counts against them because of politicians and policy that only care about producing numbers and not productive students. I'm all about these ideals but people don't realize the way things really are today.

Confirmed that a school resource officer stopped a school shooter before he could harm anyone in an Illinois school in the past week or so. Think the answer to this problem is pretty clear.

Resource officers were taken down by this kid. More guns...only in dumbass America. Only advanced country with gun problems close to South America.

I mean, you can't legislate parenting. How do you hold them responsible? The schools have no way to do that. They aren't allowed to.

You know that every time you suspend a kid it counts against your school in terms of whether or not your schools is allowed to function on its own or whether or not the government can take it over? Every bit of hard discipline that schools can use counts against them because of politicians and policy that only care about producing numbers and not productive students. I'm all about these ideals but people don't realize the way things really are today.
Sure the schools have a way to do that. If your kid is suspended due to bullying, as a school you require said kids parents to provide counseling for their child--before he/she can return to school. So yeah, you can legislate parenting. If the problem persist, contact your local CPS(Child Protective Services). File a case. There is always more that can be done. It just takes someone to actually do something, to get it going.

Yes I know a kid being suspended counts against a school. So. I mean are you suggesting schools turn a blind eye to issue, just to avoid consequences of its own? If so , that is dangerously irresponsible. Schools here in Indiana get points for bad sportsmanship. If they garner to many, they can be suspended from hosting post-season tourney's, participating in post season play, face fines, or even in extreme instances, lose their membership to the IHSAA. You think that hinders in my decision to eject a coach, player, etc, etc...? Or to give a "T"? Absolutely not. Control your coaches as an administration, and you don't have anyting to worry about.

Same with schools.

Go live there then. Quit bitching. Quit being a pussy and leave. Real simple.

It’s the truth you dumbass. This is going to continue to happen when you have 100 guns per 100 people. Closest country is 50 to 100 and it isn’t an advanced country.

Resource officers were taken down by this kid. More guns...only in dumbass America. Only advanced country with gun problems close to South America.
Looks like Btown has his panties all bunched up. Anyone have any suggestions for him?

I remember when in school we had tornado/fire drills. Now, my grand kids have "active shooter" drills.

This world is a mess.

So politicians don't want schools disciplining bullies?

It’s the truth you dumbass. This is going to continue to happen when you have 100 guns per 100 people. Closest country is 50 to 100 and it isn’t an advanced country.
Yup. Those darn guns just walked into that school all by themselves and killed people. You’re such a pussy.

Where does America rank in gun ownership per capita?

Where does America rank in gun homicide per capita?

From reading your posts, I’d expect those rankings to be similar. If they aren’t, then why not?

Just dealing with another moron that thinks more guns is the answer especially when we already almost double the #2 country
Do you think if we try and tickle the active shooters and bad guys they’ll stop and give up their guns?

Sure the schools have a way to do that. If your kid is suspended due to bullying, as a school you require said kids parents to provide counseling for their child--before he/she can return to school. So yeah, you can legislate parenting. If the problem persist, contact your local CPS(Child Protective Services). File a case. There is always more that can be done. It just takes someone to actually do something, to get it going.

Yes I know a kid being suspended counts against a school. So. I mean are you suggesting schools turn a blind eye to issue, just to avoid consequences of its own? If so , that is dangerously irresponsible. Schools here in Indiana get points for bad sportsmanship. If they garner to many, they can be suspended from hosting post-season tourney's, participating in post season play, face fines, or even in extreme instances, lose their membership to the IHSAA. You think that hinders in my decision to eject a coach, player, etc, etc...? Or to give a "T"? Absolutely not. Control your coaches as an administration, and you don't have anyting to worry about.

Same with schools.

I'm suggesting we stop blaming the schools and start blaming the policies that restrict what they can do. You think that schools can just say we are going to do x and then they can do it. That isn't the way it works.

Also, many forms of bullying, true bullying and not just silly school stuff, is never known by any authority figure until after something happens. The things we constantly talk about with our kids is how to change that. How to not be silent. How the bystander is part of the problem. However, you know what happens when it really comes down to it? Kids are silent about it because they don't want to be that kid. I get it. That is where change needs to take place though. We have to raise kids who aren't afraid to look for this stuff and speak up about it.

Child services provide little in terms of follow up. Do you not think they are being called now? They are.

From reading your posts, I’d expect those rankings to be similar. If they aren’t, then why not?
Yup. Things get interesting when you take out suicides.

Yup. Those darn guns just walked into that school all by themselves and killed people. You’re such a pussy.

Problem is the easy access to them. Either by parents, buying them etc. People in this country have issues which is why we murder more than advanced countries etc. Now I am going to get a dumbass who says look at Chicago...well per the FBI 60 something percent of the crime committed in Chicago is from guns purchased out of state.

Next problem is people don’t label these kids as terrorists, etc.

Next problem is mental illness and the dumbass gun owners/NRA lack of responsibility on them getting them.

Look at countries with stricter gun laws. They aren’t banning guns. They are wanting responsible gun ownership.

Problem is the easy access to them. Either by parents, buying them etc. People in this country have issues which is why we murder more than advanced countries etc. Now I am going to get a dumbass who says look at Chicago...well per the FBI 60 something percent of the crime committed in Chicago is from guns purchased out of state.

Next problem is mental illness and the dumbass gun owners/NRA lack of responsibility on them getting them.

Look at countries with stricter gun laws. They aren’t banning guns. They are wanting responsible gun ownership.

So when guns are banned in Chicago criminals still find other ways to get those guns? Interesting.

Are you gonna be this angry (and idiotic) in 2020 when Trump wins again? I’ll buy you a Make America Great Again hat you can wear. You’re welcome.

Gun ownership per capita - #1 per all countries and advanced countries.

Murder by gun per capita per all countries - #11

Murder by gun per capita per advanced countries - #1

So when guns are banned in Chicago criminals still find other ways to get those guns? Interesting.
Wait, wait, wait. So let me get this straight. Bad guns don’t care about the laws and find a way to do bad things anyway? I’m shocked I tell ya, shocked.

Are you gonna be this angry (and idiotic) in 2020 when Trump wins again? I’ll buy you a Make America Great Again hat you can wear. You’re welcome.

Well it’s due to this country having so many dumbasses in it. Like yourself. More guns...stupid as F.

They aren't excuses. Schools are rewarded for less disciplinary issues and punished for more. Take that away.
So it's best to just ignore bullying and hope no one brings a gun to fix their problems because politicians don't want discipline in schools?

="coryfly, post: 24595475, member: 10724"]I'm suggesting we stop blaming the schools and start blaming the policies that restrict what they can do. You think that schools can just say we are going to do x and then they can do it. That isn't the way it works.

Also, many forms of bullying, true bullying and not just silly school stuff, is never known by any authority figure until after something happens. The things we constantly talk about with our kids is how to change that. How to not be silent. How the bystander is part of the problem. However, you know what happens when it really comes down to it? Kids are silent about it because they don't want to be that kid. I get it. That is where change needs to take place though. We have to raise kids who aren't afraid to look for this stuff and speak up about it.

Child services provide little in terms of follow up. Do you not think they are being called now? They are.
Schools, just as other things, are part of the problem. And that "silly school stuff" usually leads to that "true bullying" you are speaking of. I understand you teach. I understand your stance. But some schools just turn a blind eye to this stuff. My granddaughter came over the other day, crying. Asked what was wrong. Said a kid at school made fun of her teeth being crooked. Said her mommy/daddy were to poor to have her teeth fixed. My daughter just shrugged it off.

I did not. I contacted the school. Asked what was done. Told me---"its just kids being kids". No, its not. Its kids being mean. Its kids being disrespectful. Let that go, and what does it turn into at a later date? Or....Or.....speak with the child and make her aware that type of behavior is not acceptable. SIlly school stuff? Sure. But that doesn't mean you ignore it.

Look Cory, I'm nt JUST blaming schools. I understand the restrictions and guidelines they live under. But I also know schools here waaaaay to often tuck this stuff away. Can't do that. Just can't.

See my post above. I phrased the question wrong. If we are #1 in guns-per-capita then how are we outside of the top 95 in murders-per-capita (since guns kill people)?

See my post above. I phrased the question wrong. If we are #1 in guns-per-capita then how are we outside of the top 95 in murders-per-capita (since guns kill people)?

Most of the countries above us aren’t comparable. They are mostly poverty stricken and have weak economies. Compare it to strong economies and advanced systems. That’s the reason.

So it's best to just ignore bullying and hope no one brings a gun to fix their problems because politicians don't want discipline in schools?

Lol, schools don't ignore bullying. I assume you know this. However, schools have to document it a certain number of times before certain actions are taken. The very definition of bullying policy wise involves repeated actions. Do you know how difficult it is to actually get kids put in alternative placements because of repeated disciplinary issues? It's an extremely long and arduous process.

Do you know what parents say when their kids are accused of bullying? They say it is just normal schoolyard stuff and kids need to stop being such pussies. I bet some of the people on this board feel this way.

It may not be happening where you are but I guarantee in most places it is taken very seriously. However, the punitive measures have to be addressed. It is absurd to lay the blame on the ones fighting the battles every day and not the structures in place that handicap the ability to fight them.

Most of the countries above us aren’t comparable. They are mostly poverty stricken and have weak economies. Compare it to strong economies and advanced systems. That’s the reason.

You wouldn't expect those numbers be closer if guns kill people? #1 vs #99? You don't have to lie to prove your point, bub. I'm for gun control so you don't need to try to convince me of anything. That ranking disparity is at least pretty interesting.

No it’s because of ease of access, lack of gun safety/responsibility, ease of killing and lack of controlling people who shouldn’t have them.

Today’s example. Parent should be accountable or an accessory for it. Lack of accountable as of gun ownership. As much as guns is a right....it is a privilege and lack of responsibility of it should have grave consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT