ADVERTISEMENT

Another school shooting

I also saw where some in Congress or some outside group want to *limit* the amount of coverage the News spends on school shootings. I HOPE that was a joke, but you can never be too sure these days.

I also saw where some in Congress or some outside group want to *limit* the amount of coverage the News spends on school shootings. I HOPE that was a joke, but you can never be too sure these days.

Someone on NRATV (I guess that's a thing now) suggested legislation to restrict reporting on school shootings, which would be unconstitutional. Others have suggested that media should limit coverage of the shooters - no names, little background/motivation - to prevent glorification of school shootings. I get the sentiment on that one, but I doubt it will happen and how effective it would be in any event.

Maybe we make the punishment for school shooters unbearable....might deter some idiots.

There are people on both sides that want to limit/ eliminate the news from showing the shooters pictures. Allegedly several studies say this could help.

Reactions: SNU0821
Someone on NRATV (I guess that's a thing now) suggested legislation to restrict reporting on school shootings, which would be unconstitutional. Others have suggested that media should limit coverage of the shooters - no names, little background/motivation - to prevent glorification of school shootings. I get the sentiment on that one, but I doubt it will happen and how effective it would be in any event.
I like that second idea. It would probably have to be voluntary, but the media does keep the names of rape victims and alleged rape victims out of the press -- I'm pretty sure that's voluntary -- so maybe it could work. I think that's largely how Norway handled that guy who shot up that island summer camp a few years back.

Reactions: I am stupid
I think it's the exact same thing, but I'd accept a rewrite of the proposition as: The government acted at the behest of businesses that wanted to take advantage of cheap labor. Agreed that such a policy is dumb. If the disastrous war on drugs taught us nothing else, it should be that going after (and demonizing) supply without addressing demand will end in failure.
Maybe we can continue this conversation in a more appropriate thread another time. I agree mostly with you, but it would be pointless to continue in a thread about school shootings with the dattier trolling everything I say and you liking his trolls.

I like that second idea. It would probably have to be voluntary, but the media does keep the names of rape victims and alleged rape victims out of the press -- I'm pretty sure that's voluntary -- so maybe it could work. I think that's largely how Norway handled that guy who shot up that island summer camp a few years back.

Will only help so much with the amount of people attempting (often failing spectacularly) to identify perpetrators and dig up everything possible - Reddit (Boston Marathon bombings), the various Chan sites, etc... but it might help.

Maybe we can continue this conversation in a more appropriate thread another time. I agree mostly with you, but it would be pointless to continue in a thread about school shootings with the dattier trolling everything I say and you liking his trolls.

Fair enough. Have a great holiday weekend everyone (trolls on both sides alike)!

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Why would that be a joke? The constant, wall to wall coverage has played a part (along with other social media) in increasing the number of shootings. Honest question man. Everyone, my liberal friends as well, rag on the constant coverage of these shootings.

Reactions: treyforuk
Why would that be a joke? The constant, wall to wall coverage has played a part (along with other social media) in increasing the number of shootings. Honest question man. Everyone, my liberal friends as well, rag on the constant coverage of these shootings.
It's a Constitutional issue.

tenor.gif

I hope you find happiness datt. For as disgusting as I find you to be, I think everyone deserves happiness. Except for animals like MS 13.
Already got it, thanks! So sorry I caught you on pretend-to-be-sincere day. I can never tell w/ you crazy kids.

Oh, give him a chance to respond...
Yeah man. I’m not talking about censorship or anything like that. I’m talking about the wall to wall coverage these events get. Minimalize it. Report it. Just don’t blow it out of proportion like CNN did with Parkland.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Was it CNN? There was a lot of coverage of the survivors and their press conferences. Is that what you mean?

Look at how that dang ol' anti-gun MSM is reporting on the latest school lever-finger-twitching! How dare they point out a good guy without a gun stopping a bad guy-child with a gun!

And since they've finally solved this problem by ignoring it for the most part, let's move on...

Look at how that dang ol' slightly lib'rul-leaning Houston Chronicle talks about the browns as if they're people!

@TheDude1 , how often have you wished for an excuse to go linebacker on some snot-nosed middle school kid who thinks he's grown? All for the sake of his learning, of course...
If he has, he shouldn’t be a teacher. I think it’s clear that he’s already demostrated some sick perversion with underage women that he shouldn’t be a teacher. This would set it over the top.

Look at how that dang ol' anti-gun MSM is reporting on the latest school lever-finger-twitching! How dare they point out a good guy without a gun stopping a bad guy-child with a gun!

And since they've finally solved this problem by ignoring it for the most part, let's move on...

Look at how that dang ol' slightly lib'rul-leaning Houston Chronicle talks about the browns as if they're people!
Not sure this type of post furthers the conversation, at all...

@TheDude1 , how often have you wished for an excuse to go linebacker on some snot-nosed middle school kid who thinks he's grown? All for the sake of his learning, of course...

What, like that teacher did? Honestly? Never. I’ll snarl, but that’s about it. But none of them ever had a gun... I’ve planned out my own school shooting responses pretty clearly... gotta be prepared. Have to admit, I sort of like a combo of the traditional lockdown and the ALICE stuff. And they installed blackout shades in our door windows, which is really nice... allows some freedom of movement in the room even during a lockdown without drawing a shooters attention.

Last edited:
Doesn't really help an argument either. The teacher is a hero and did what any teacher should do in that situation. But it doesn't prove that teachers do or do not need guns. I think there is a little bit of a difference between tackling a 13 year old with a handgun and tackling a 20 year old with a rifle. And though I will be accused of it, that is not downplaying the teacher's heroics. That guy is the teacher of the year.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Sorry. I meant it more as an exasperated, laugh-to-keep-from-crying thing, not a troll thing. It's fake news anyway, since it's CNN, right? right? Sorry. I did it again.

Reactions: SNU0821
If he has, he shouldn’t be a teacher. I think it’s clear that he’s already demostrated some sick perversion with underage women that he shouldn’t be a teacher. This would set it over the top.
lol Y'all are so wrong and silly about that, but on this? Okay. He acquits himself gracefully:
What, like that teacher did? Honestly? Never. I’ll snarl, but that’s about it. But none of them ever had a gun... I’ve planned out my own school shooting responses pretty clearly... gotta be prepared. Have to admit, I sort of like a combo of the traditional lockdown and the ALICE stuff. And they installed blackout shades in our door windows, which is really nice... allows some freedom of movement in the room even during a lockdown without drawing a shooters attention.
Haha! Just a little gallows humor there, really. Have you ever played basketball against middle schoolers? They talk soooo much smack, then you just destroy them. Blocking their shots into the stands -- that's the more copacetic alternative to tackling them, yeah?

Which is the ALICE stuff? Is that the barricade-the-door, spread-out-around-the-room-armed-with-staplers, prepare-to-counter-attack method? Whatever that's called, I like that. In addition to blackout curtains, the last classroom I was in had this big, double-door rolling cabinet that I kept beside the door. For lockdowns, I'd roll it in front of the locked, curtained door, then lock the wheels. I guess if a guy armed with a pillow really wanted to, he could swing through a solid door then an entire armoire and smother us all. Ban the pillow!

Last edited:
1526914324-soonish41.png

Politics these days.
That is true to an extent. But it only shows how it works out for certain people. It doesn't mean that the overall political environment is based off of that mindset.

I think people do vote for or against candidates based on their views or values. Even if the person they vote for doesn't fully represent their views or values, as long as they are closer to them than that of the opposition. There will never be a POTUS that makes everybody happy. There will never be a candidate that is free of controversy or who has never done something that hurt others but helped themselves. That's the nature of politics.

The sun isn't blotted out for everyone and for most, the stars still shine. That meme more represents the manipulative culture of politics than the actual environment.

ADVERTISEMENT