ADVERTISEMENT

***2024 NCAA Tournament Thread***

I picked UConn vs Purdue in my bracket. I win my bracket contest if Purdue wins. Congrats UConn on the back to back titles

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Who in the fvck fouled Spencer???
Really, bro? You dudes were in the double bonus----UCONN never even made it to the bonus. You had a dude trip over the line, traveled 4 times, and they called a foul(on UCONN).

You lived by the three-----and you died by it. When you shot 72% from three in the first half(8-11) and still trailed---ya knew it was trouble.

Best team won. Never once felt Bama was gonna win.

Hoping for a great game Monday. It’s not often you get the two best teams matching up for a title. UConn is ridiculously good but Purdue is going to give it all they’ve got.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Tell me you don’t know basketball without telling me you don’t know basketball.
A tiresome argument from a lot of different angles here.

1. Edey is more than just tall.

2. His "skill" in the post, i.e. footwork, baby hook, is really good. Hes really worked on that little 5-6 foot jump hook.

3. His overall skill level though is not that good. He has zero ability to shoot a jump shot. Does not dribble well at all. His lateral speed is below average. And TBH, hes not very agile. And does not run the floor well at all.

BUT----he is a very good player. And more than just tall. He will have his hands full with Clinigan. At 7'2, 280, he can actually make Edey work. And "body" with him, to an extent. Clinigan runs the floor well. So it will be interesting to see if Edey can keep up---I doubt he can.

This is a great game, Alabama kept it closer than anyone else has ever been against UConn but in the end it wasn’t good enough. I wonder what could have happened if these two teams met last year in the national title game, when Alabama was the overall top seed and UConn was a 4 seed. Alabama would have been favored in that game, and could have beaten last year’s UConn team. Unfortunately they lost to SDSU so we never saw that matchup that could have been epic.

Hoping for a great game Monday. It’s not often you get the two best teams matching up for a title. UConn is ridiculously good but Purdue is going to give it all they’ve got.
Certainly the two best teams....UCONN is just so explosive. Very athletic and long. This IMO is the "hardest" match-up PU will have faced all season. Can Smith and Loyer handle the pressure and UCONN's guards?

JOnes will be a HUGE factor here. Gonna need a big game from him.

2. His "skill" in the post, i.e. footwork, baby hook, is really good. Hes really worked on that little 5-6 foot jump hook.

3. His overall skill level though is not that good. He has zero ability to shoot a jump shot. Does not dribble well at all. His lateral speed is below average. And TBH, hes not very agile. And does not run the floor well at all.

BUT----he is a very good player. And more than just tall. He will have his hands full with Clinigan. At 7'2, 280, he can actually make Edey work. And "body" with him, to an extent. Clinigan runs the floor well. So it will be interesting to see if Edey can keep up---I doubt he can.
Edey can absolutely shoot a jump shot. He hit a bunch in a row at the combine. But in college, it’s dumb for him to attempt a jump shot when no one thus far has been able to stop him in the paint. I think you’ll see him be able to pick and pop in the NBA.

Agility is certainly an issue at the next level. He’s made great strides but is it enough? We’ll see.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Certainly the two best teams....UCONN is just so explosive. Very athletic and long. This IMO is the "hardest" match-up PU will have faced all season. Can Smith and Loyer handle the pressure and UCONN's guards?

JOnes will be a HUGE factor here. Gonna need a big game from him.
We don’t win tonight without Lance Jones. He’s fearless with the ball and relentless on defense. Paint found the perfect guy to address our biggest deficiencies from last season with getting Lance from the portal. Love that dude!

Edey can absolutely shoot a jump shot. He hit a bunch in a row at the combine. But in college, it’s dumb for him to attempt a jump shot when no one thus far has been able to stop him in the paint. I think you’ll see him be able to pick and pop in the NBA.

Agility is certainly an issue at the next level. He’s made great strides but is it enough? We’ll see.
Hitting uncontested jumpers in a "practice" setting is totally different. I have yet to see him take a single jump shot in 4 years. Not doubting he can hit jump shots----doubting he can do so in a game though. Might find out MOnday---Clinigan will be the only dude IMO he has yet to face in CBB that can match-up with him....

We don’t win tonight without Lance Jones. He’s fearless with the ball and relentless on defense. Paint found the perfect guy to address our biggest deficiencies from last season with getting Lance from the portal. Love that dude!
100%.....Difference maker. Loyer and SMith still struggle with athletic, big/long guards. NCSU gave Smith all kinds of trouble---Loyer as well.

UCONN guards are of a different cloth. Gonna need Jones.

This should be a fantastic title game. But summna bitch can UCONN go from 0-60 in a fukin blink. I mean Bama shoots 72% from three(8-11) in the first half...

And fukin trailed.

100%.....Difference maker. Loyer and SMith still struggle with athletic, big/long guards. NCSU gave Smith all kinds of trouble---Loyer as well.

UCONN guards are of a different cloth. Gonna need Jones.

This should be a fantastic title game. But summna bitch can UCONN go from 0-60 in a fukin blink. I mean Bama shoots 72% from three(8-11) in the first half...

And fukin trailed.
Going to be a challenge for sure. Cant wait!

Reactions: IUfanBorden
This is a great game, Alabama kept it closer than anyone else has ever been against UConn but in the end it wasn’t good enough. I wonder what could have happened if these two teams met last year in the national title game, when Alabama was the overall top seed and UConn was a 4 seed. Alabama would have been favored in that game, and could have beaten last year’s UConn team. Unfortunately they lost to SDSU so we never saw that matchup that could have been epic.

ummm….. uconn and bama played last season and uconn won by 15.

Reactions: P.G.S. and Deepelm

You put it more eloquently than I did. He has really good footwork and I said it takes more than just being tall to be a good player. And he is an excellent player and very dominant at this level. I was more emphasizing point 3.

Regardless, I’m hoping he goes for 40 Monday and Purdue wins it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Really, bro? You dudes were in the double bonus----UCONN never even made it to the bonus. You had a dude trip over the line, traveled 4 times, and they called a foul(on UCONN).

You lived by the three-----and you died by it. When you shot 72% from three in the first half(8-11) and still trailed---ya knew it was trouble.

Best team won. Never once felt Bama was gonna win.
They only called fouls on UConn because they had to when they tackled the Alabama players at the rim and on every fast break opportunity.

Griffin tripped over the UConn players foot. They showed it from the other angle.

This team has won games when they weren't hitting 3s. I believe that they would have been a lot better had they had a real big man. Bediako and Clooney both leaving to go pro last year really left a void inside both offensively and defensively.

No sh¡t the best team won. They weren't the number 1 overall seed and been blowing out every opponent for no reason. Alabama gave them a lot better game than me or anyone else thought that they would.

Look..... I never expected this team to get this far. I actually thought that they would lose the first game like they did in the conference tournament. Oats and this team definitely overachieved this year. I thought he did a hell of a job to even have this team in position to win the SEC regular season let alone make a Final 4 run. I can't wait to see who all comes back and who Oats picks up in the portal to go along with a good recruiting class.

Sorry my overreaction to the game upset you. This is why most of the time I stay out of game threads because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Have a great off season.

• Haha
Reactions: Deepelm
They only called fouls on UConn because they had to when they tackled the Alabama players at the rim and on every fast break opportunity.

Griffin tripped over the UConn players foot. They showed it from the other angle.

This team has won games when they weren't hitting 3s. I believe that they would have been a lot better had they had a real big man. Bediako and Clooney both leaving to go pro last year really left a void inside both offensively and defensively.

No sh¡t the best team won. They weren't the number 1 overall seed and been blowing out every opponent for no reason. Alabama gave them a lot better game than me or anyone else thought that they would.

Look..... I never expected this team to get this far. I actually thought that they would lose the first game like they did in the conference tournament. Oats and this team definitely overachieved this year. I thought he did a hell of a job to even have this team in position to win the SEC regular season let alone make a Final 4 run. I can't wait to see who all comes back and who Oats picks up in the portal to go along with a good recruiting class.

Sorry my overreaction to the game upset you. This is why most of the time I stay out of game threads because I don't want to hurt anyone's fefeelings. Have a great off season.
Celebrate your final four. It’s a massive accomplishment that many out there will never be able to enjoy (@della).

Shhhhiiiitttttt........ I'm already thinking about next year.

Oats has got a lot to work on. Can't keep losing to @della 's vawls.
I wasn't pulling for you, but I'm honest enough to call a spade a spade, y'all represented well, congrats.

Reactions: P.G.S.
Like UConn to win but that PU+6 is crazy to me and impossible not to take.

If they turn it over like last night, whoo boy.
Oh man, if Purdue turns it over like they did against UConn, they'll lose by 1,000. Uconn is a juggernaut right now and they are still getting better. Purdue is going to have to play a perfect game.

Sorry my overreaction to the game upset you. This is why most of the time I stay out of game threads because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Have a great off season.
Why would my feelings be hurt?

Alabama was a really good team---IMO a good big from being possibly elite..

I thought it was a physical game---a hard game to call---that was officiated pretty good----sans Adams.

Congrats on the FF.

Reactions: Deepelm
UConn runs stuff on offense that is ridiculously hard to guard and if the first play call doesn’t work, you better keep your head on a swivel, because they're about to hit you with another play the WILL work.
If you allow them to get offensive rebounds, you're done.
You have to get Klingan in foul trouble and you have to be EXTREMELY efficient on offense if you're going to have a shot.

Oh man, if Purdue turns it over like they did against UConn, they'll lose by 1,000. Uconn is a juggernaut right now and they are still getting better. Purdue is going to have to play a perfect game.

Yeah, 16 to's is not what you want against us. And I know ZE plays pretty much the whole game, and with it being his last he will play 50 min if it comes to it. But I wonder about his ability to get up and down with us for a full 40. He is a bit slow from end to end and our centers love to sprint out.

Yeah, 16 to's is not what you want against us. And I know ZE plays pretty much the whole game, and with it being his last he will play 50 min if it comes to it. But I wonder about his ability to get up and down with us for a full 40. He is a bit slow from end to end and our centers love to sprint out.
I've been surprised at how good Edey is, but in tomorrow's game, he’s going to have to defend the rim more aggressively than he has all year and get every rebound. Issue is, he might get into foul trouble and if he does, UConn can name the score.

I've been surprised at how good Edey is, but in tomorrow's game, he’s going to have to defend the rim more aggressively than he has all year and get every rebound. Issue is, he might get into foul trouble and if he does, UConn can name the score.
Edey will face some things MOnday that he hasn't faced in his time at PU---an opposing center that can damn near look him in the eye.. And who can come very close to matching his strength---Clinigan is 280. And same with CLinigan----doubt hes faced many, if any, 7'4 dudes.

IMO, UCONN can survive Clinigan getting into foul trouble more so than PU can with Edey.

I think this becomes a game of b/c's and wings----and its why I like UCONN.

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT