ADVERTISEMENT

Who will win the National Championship?

Who will win the 2022 National Championship?

• Total voters
I would agree with Duke as a 2. Not a 1 though, mostly because the ACC is garbage and they've lost to a few middle-of-the-pack ACC teams.
I really not trying or wanting to down UK. but lets be honest, UK has had many one or two seeds when there wasn't another SEC team anywhere near the top 25 but lost to 2 or 3 or them. It just happens, even to good teams. Duke has 4 losses 3 of those being bad ACC teams and the other to Ohio St. IMHO this year, that's good enough for a one seed

Just curious what the consensus is on Rivals. If the tournament started today, who would you take?

I think there are several teams that could fit into the other category. Possibly Texas Tech, Illinois, Wisconsin, UCLA, Arkansas, Tennessee, Houston, and Providence.
Houston is crazy overrated.....

I really not trying or wanting to down UK. but lets be honest, UK has had many one or two seeds when there wasn't another SEC team anywhere near the top 25 but lost to 2 or 3 or them. It just happens, even to good teams. Duke has 4 losses 3 of those being bad ACC teams and the other to Ohio St. IMHO this year, that's good enough for a one seed
We'll see. There is still a lot of basketball yet to be played before the seedings fall into place. Duke won't have many opportunities to get quality wins in the conference tournament though, like some of the other contenders might (mostly B10, B12, and SEC).

I can't quite put my finger on Duke. They have as much talent as anyone, and probably a top 3 pick on their team. Feel like they could win the whole thing or lose in the round of 32.
TBH, Jimbo, I think we can say this about every team on this list...IMO, this is one the most wide-open NCAAT in recent memory----and not just as in a national title winner---but the entire tournament.

Possible 2nd rd opponents for...

Duke: Iowa. Very dangerous team offensively. Their defense has gotten better.

Kentucky: Iowa St/UNC....

Auburn: Mich St/Miami

Purdue: San Fran.

All potential danger games for 2 seeds...

For the 1 seeds, biggest upset potential I see could be Baylor/Murray State.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
TBH, Jimbo, I think we can say this about every team on this list...IMO, this is one the most wide-open NCAAT in recent memory----and not just as in a national title winner---but the entire tournament.

Is IU ultimately gonna make the dance, Borden? I won a lot of money on that Minnesota game, even though IU was up by like 90 and let Minnesota come back and nearly cover the 3.5 point spread. It was a 3 point lead with 5 seconds left. I almost shit myself. Had they not converted the free throws or blocked the meaningless 3 at the end that would've done me in. :mad:

Reactions: IUfanBorden
1-2 against the top 3 teams in the conference (all NCAAT teams), which has nothing to do with the other 12 teams that are dragging the conference down this year. I didn't say UK deserved a 1 seed either.

You could have just said “losing record”. No need to qualify it.

• Angry
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Is IU ultimately gonna make the dance, Borden? I won a lot of money on that Minnesota game, even though IU was up by like 90 and let Minnesota come back and nearly cover the 3.5 point spread. It was a 3 point lead with 5 seconds left. I almost shit myself. Had they not converted the free throws and blocked the meaningless 3 at the end that would've done me in. :mad:
Crazy----even up 27, with 8 minutes to go, I was like...................And sure, enough. Got stagnant on offense, ghost of the past started gettin' in their heads, and played not to lose. PLUS---I mean my goodness, Minny could not miss: WIllis/Stepehns hit 8 three's in the final, like 6 minutes. And damn near everyone of them were highly contested...

As for IU/NCAAT......IMO, it comes down to tomorrow. Right now, IU is projected as 11 seed---Last 4 in. As is Rutgers...Who as you probably know, we play tomorrow night in AH. Win that, and I don't see how IU doesn't lock up a bid....Even with an inevitable ass-whoopin on the horizon, @ Purdue. NOW....if we beat Rutgers,then lost to PU, then lose in 1st rd of BTT, to say Michigan---or even possibly Rutgers----It'll be a nervous Suday for sure. Will depend then if folks steal some bids, i.e. Murray State, Davidson or even N Texas not winning their conference tourney----Or some clown fukers winning the ACC, SEC, B12, BE, or B10...

In other words----Tomorrow night is HUGE. Lose, and, well, gonna probably have to beat Purdue, or get to the finals of the BTT....

Crazy----even up 27, with 8 minutes to go, I was like...................And sure, enough. Got stagnant on offense, ghost of the past started gettin' in their heads, and played not to lose. PLUS---I mean my goodness, Minny could not miss: WIllis/Stepehns hit 8 three's in the final, like 6 minutes. And damn near everyone of them were highly contested...

As for IU/NCAAT......IMO, it comes down to tomorrow. Right now, IU is projected as 11 seed---Last 4 in. As is Rutgers...Who as you probably know, we play tomorrow night in AH. Win that, and I don't see how IU doesn't lock up a bid....Even with an inevitable ass-whoopin on the horizon, @ Purdue. NOW....if we beat Rutgers,then lost to PU, then lose in 1st rd of BTT, to say Michigan---or even possibly Rutgers----It'll be a nervous Suday for sure. Will depend then if folks steal some bids, i.e. Murray State, Davidson or even N Texas not winning their conference tourney----Or some clown fukers winning the ACC, SEC, B12, BE, or B10...

In other words----Tomorrow night is HUGE. Lose, and, well, gonna probably have to beat Purdue, or get to the finals of the BTT....
I know! They were just pulling 3s out their asses and the only thing I could think was the gambling gods had it out for me. I was like "WTF!!!"

I agree about tomorrow night being a must win. Lose that game and they would have to beat Purdue. Lose both and they likely have to win the Big 10 tourney to get in (maybe a finals appearance would be good enough depending on what other bubble teams do). Tomorrow should be a great game with both teams fighting for a dance ticket.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I hope Tennessee sticks it to all y'all.

My ranked odds top 10:

1 zags
2 Kentucky
3 Baylor
4 Zona
5 Auburn
6 Nova
7 KU
8 Duke
9 Texas tech
10 Purdue

in order

If Baylor wins back to back, and with Coach K retired , is Drew a top five coach in the game??
Tough to keep him out, even if K were not retiring....ALso, I'm not sure many (outside of this board), or those living under a rock, realize the job he has done...Baylor was a fukin HS level progrm when he took over...

Arizona is looking REALLY good right now while beating the shit out of USC. Then again, it's USC.

Reactions: englandnu
i picked zona. i feel they have everything. i wanted to pick UK but their defense has just been really sus most of the year and especially the last few weeks.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Just have a feeling Gonzaga finally breaks thru. Not many people are watching Chet Holmgren play. He can be a really difficult matchup on both ends of the floor.
Meh, I think Purdue would take Gonzaga and I didn't pick Purdue to win it all.

Good thing Purdue is no longer a 2 seed... TIC

Houston is crazy overrated.....

In the NET rankings, yes. Absolutely. They have some nice players, I especially like Fabian White. But, after losing Marcus Sasser and Tramon Mark, they're depth is very underwhelming. I think they'll struggle to make it to the second weekend.

Reactions: Montana81
Duke hasn't played a good team in months. They have more talent than anyone but even Gonzaga has had tougher conference games FFS. They are one of my favorites to cut the nets down but I feel they also have more questions than other elite teams.

i picked zona. i feel they have everything. i wanted to pick UK but their defense has just been really sus most of the year and especially the last few weeks.
Our defense has fallen off a tad, but its the easier of the two to pick up once the tournament rolls around. I think we have the second ranked offense at the moment, number 23 defense. That is more than good enough for a long run.

Reactions: Montana81
If I’m being honest, I’d go with Kentucky. If Washington and Wheeler are 100%, I don’t really see a team that’s better. That doesn’t matter when it comes to the tourney though, as it is match up based, and a lot of solid teams lose to unexpected mid majors. However, they pass the eye test.

If I’m being honest, I’d go with Kentucky. If Washington and Wheeler are 100%, I don’t really see a team that’s better. That doesn’t matter when it comes to the tourney though, as it is match up based, and a lot of solid teams lose to unexpected mid majors. However, they pass the eye test.
Indeed, it's all about the match-ups. For UK, the team runs through Oscar so I would rather not see them face his nemesis, length. The worst match-ups for him would probably be Arizona (Koloko), Auburn (Kessler), or Gonzaga (Holmgren). I want them to play Auburn in the SECT though and Oscar already had a good game against them the first time. I also think Oscar would push Holmgren around like a rag doll but that length is still bothersome.

Reactions: UL_1986

Cal is still coaching. Played like 10 minutes with 3 bigs yesterday with the full lineup in there. I don't trust him in tight games.

Cal is still coaching. Played like 10 minutes with 3 bigs yesterday with the full lineup in there. I don't trust him in tight games.
When Oscar, Ware, and Toppin were in at the same time I was just like WTF is going on right now? 😆 Or was it Collins, Ware, and Toppin? Either way is no bueno. Got to think some of that is because Cal is easing TyTy back into it. He only played 24 minutes last night and didn't start either half (still hit my over for points though, 12.5).

When Oscar, Ware, and Toppin were in at the same time I was just like WTF is going on right now? 😆 Or was it Collins, Ware, and Toppin? Either way is no bueno.

Brooks directly caused like a 6 point swing, Cal benches him then puts him back in crunch time. Things like that are how you lose in March.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Brooks directly caused like a 6 point swing, Cal benches him then puts him back in crunch time. Things like that are how you lose in March.
If making losing plays was a good thing then Brooks would've been in the NBA a long time ago. Plus his basketball IQ sucks. I'll be so pissed if he's back again next year, but I don't know where else he would go cause nobody is going to pay him to play basketball. In hindsight, wish Cal would've lost that recruiting battle to Indiana. I think he is an IU fan at heart with a life's mission to sabotage UK. 😆

Reactions: RR30
Duke hasn't played a good team in months. They have more talent than anyone but even Gonzaga has had tougher conference games FFS. They are one of my favorites to cut the nets down but I feel they also have more questions than other elite teams.
The past couple of games they have looked like a good basketball team. I know the competition isn't great. But they haven't looked like a good team for a while regardless of competition. Banchero seems to have finally found his way out of his slump, Griffin is becoming more consistent and Keels looks like a formidable outside threat a of the sudden. They're coming along at the right time of year. But the lack of PG play could be their downfall.

Here's a fun stat. Was wondering what these number might look like when I noticed that 18 of Texas Tech's 23 wins were at home. The stat I was trying to find was records against top 50 opponents away from your home court. This may not mean a whole lot, but I figure your record away from home against quality competition are the toughest games to win. I've included the top 20 KenPom teams, as well as Wisconsin and Providence (conference champs).

top50-road-neutral.png

The past couple of games they have looked like a good basketball team. I know the competition isn't great. But they haven't looked like a good team for a while regardless of competition. Banchero seems to have finally found his way out of his slump, Griffin is becoming more consistent and Keels looks like a formidable outside threat a of the sudden. They're coming along at the right time of year. But the lack of PG play could be their downfall.

The competition is worse than not great lol. It's downright dire. Pittsburgh is one of the worst P5 teams in the country. It's just hard for me to say how much is Duke and how much is the competition being potatoes. I agree it seems they are peaking but at the same point, they haven't played a good team in months. Feel like every other top team has good conference opponents this year.

The competition is worse than not great lol. It's downright dire. Pittsburgh is one of the worst P5 teams in the country. It's just hard for me to say how much is Duke and how much is the competition being potatoes. I agree it seems they are peaking but at the same point, they haven't played a good team in months. Feel like every other top team has good conference opponents this year.
Pitt and Georgia would be a battle.

I doubt any P6 school is worse than Oregon State. They're 3-25 and 241st in KenPom.

Which is really surprising because they had a nice run to the Elite 8 last year. And they returned 6 of their top 8 scorers.

But the lack of PG play could be their downfall.

I don't see it as a downfall. We have four guys averaging 3+ assists. It's kind of by committee. Basically, whoever grabs the defensive rebound, outside of Mark Williams (or other bigs), can and should bring the ball down court.

As a team, we actually have the second highest assist to turnover ratio in the country. And we're 8th in country in assists per game.

Reactions: GhostOf301
I doubt any P6 school is worse than Oregon State. They're 3-25 and 241st in KenPom.

Which is really surprising because they had a nice run to the Elite 8 last year. And they returned 6 of their top 8 scorers.
My alma mater, thank you very much. Won back-to-back nattys in baseball when I was a student.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT