ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the teams shaping up to be contenders for the title at this point?

Yet none of those teams have showed the ability like Villanova.
What ability is that? Gonzaga had the game mucked up by WVU, and grinded out a win....That ability? I mean that is what you said----When Nova isn't hitting the shots, they (sometimes) have the ability to grind it out...Well, I mean that is exactly what the Zags did vs WVU.....Shot terrible from three(4-20)...Their stud, Suggs, struggled big time....WVU slowed the game, dirtied it up. Yet, I mean, Gonzaga still found a way to beat a then Top 10 team...

I mean that is what you meant by "grinding it out,mucking a game up, etc, etc....Right?

I think when Lousivlle gets healthy, gets back Malik and Minlend, they'll have the potential to be really good.
We’re a top 15-20 team with them back. If Malik had been practicing and 100% I’d maybe say 10-15. Without them though we’re borderline top 25. I do feel like our post presence has gotten a little better w Traynor and Withers but we’re missing Malik bad.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
We’re a top 15-20 team with them back. If Malik had been practicing and 100% I’d maybe say 10-15. Without them though we’re borderline top 25. I do feel like our post presence has gotten a little better w Traynor and Withers but we’re missing Malik bad.
I'm gonna disagree....I think UL is Top 10'sh/15 with Malik and Minlend....Dude(Minlend) is a baller...a scorer. Game changer. He, Johnson and Jones is a very,very good b/c trio...Add Williamson, Williams, Withers comng on, along with Traynor? Man I like that team.

Reactions: UL_1986
What ability is that? Gonzaga had the game mucked up by WVU, and grinded out a win....That ability? I mean that is what you said----When Nova isn't hitting the shots, they (sometimes) have the ability to grind it out...Well, I mean that is exactly what the Zags did vs WVU.....Shot terrible from three(4-20)...Their stud, Suggs, struggled big time....WVU slowed the game, dirtied it up. Yet, I mean, Gonzaga still found a way to beat a then Top 10 team...

I mean that is what you meant by "grinding it out,mucking a game up, etc, etc....Right?

We have been through this constantly...

You seek credit for Gonzaga where none should be given.
You want to compare them to Villanova as if they are the same programs.

Villanova has a lot of the same ingredients they had when their won their 2 NC.
You are talking about a program that dominated two national semifinals, a national final and beat a future NC squad on a last second shot.

If you want to see the difference.
Watch Nova vs Oklahoma 2016
Nova vs Kansas 2018

I'm gonna disagree....I think UL is Top 10'sh/15 with Malik and Minlend....Dude(Minlend) is a baller...a scorer. Game changer. He, Johnson and Jones is a very,very good b/c trio...Add Williamson, Williams, Withers comng on, along with Traynor? Man I like that team.
I’ve heard good things about Minlend and I’m def excited about having him back. He was warming up before the UK game, and had a brace on his knee it looked like in photos. If we can get him 100% and Malik at hopefully 85-90% I agree 100%. This team def has a lot of potential.

I think we can all agree the Zags and Nova have very good teams.

We have been through this constantly...

You seek credit for Gonzaga where none should be given.
You want to compare them to Villanova as if they are the same programs.

Villanova has a lot of the same ingredients they had when their won their 2 NC.
You are talking about a program that dominated two national semifinals, a national final and beat a future NC squad on a last second shot.

If you want to see the difference.
Watch Nova vs Oklahoma 2016
Nova vs Kansas 2018
I don't care about 2018 Nova vs KU....Or Nova vs Oklahoma....That means shit in 2020.

I don't care if the programs are similar, or not---Its irrelevant. It means nadda in 2020.

You said THIS year you like Nova b/c they ,when not hitting shots, have the ability to grind it out...You said no one else has shown that ability....I showed you where Gonzaga did just that(vs WVU)...And you answer as expected....

Watch Nova vs KU in 2018....Or Nova from 2016....I mean, you act as if Nova is the only team in the history of CBB to be dominant in a FF games---or a season....

Do I need to send you a Villanova sweater for Christmas?

I think we can all agree the Zags and Nova have very good teams.
100% facts....Dude has an unreal hard on for Jay Wright and Villanova...As if they have done something no other program has done.

100% facts....Dude has an unreal hard on for Jay Wright and Villanova...As if they have done something no other program has done.
I was just trying to find some mutual ground. 😁

I watched the KU-Kentucky game and the KU-TTU game. My impression with Kansas coming away from those two games is that Kansas plays pretty good defense, but they weren’t a great shooting team from what I saw. Maybe those two games were flukes, and they had bad shooting nights..but I wasn’t overly impressed with their offense. They do crash the boards nicely though. The Baylor game should be a good one.

Not exactly the best games to judge them on offensively. The Kentucky game was their worst offensive effort of the year and TT has the #1 D on Kenpom.

They shoot 40% from three as a team and just made 16 threes vs West Virginia.

Not exactly the best games to judge them on offensively. The Kentucky game was their worst offensive effort of the year and TT has the #1 D on Kenpom.

fwiw, UK is 20th in D on Kenpom.

If we could just hit our shots we'd win more games. Amirite @IUfanBorden SmokinSmile

I was just trying to find some mutual ground. 😁
I know.....Never cared for the dude, TBH. Know it all....Repeats himeslf, over and over---Folks do that when they have nothing of substance to add...Example: I tell him how Gonzaga "grinded" out a win vs WVU as evidence they are capable of doing what he says ONLY Nova could do...

His reply?

You see the 2016 Nova vs Oklahoma game....

Rinse/Repeat with him. Starting to believe he is a troll.

There is a difference missing wide open threes and just throwing shots up.

Sometimes you miss shots in great offensive sets.
Other times you can't get into your offense and just throw a shot up

Not all missed shots are the same

Villanova very rarely has a terrible offensive set

Reactions: Ingersol
Gonzaga and nobody else.

been saying for weeks that if I had to bet $1000 on either Gonzaga or the field I'm taking the Zags with no hesitation.

How am I embarrassing myself? You’re just a dumbass with your Kansas goggles on. Kansas is good, but not nearly what you think they are.
they are ranked by the media and the coaches as the #3 team in the country, which has them above Wisconsin and Nova. are the voters and coaches also delusional and wearing Kansas goggles?

• Haha
Reactions: rockycard
At this point, it's hard to imagine anyone other than Gonzaga or Baylor winning it all. Obviously a lot can happen in three months. It's a small sample size, but it kind of feels like they've separated themselves ala UNC and Illinois in 2005, or UConn and Duke in 1999.

We've seen Gonzaga play more competitive teams, so let me focus on them. Other than Baylor, I think the ideal team to trip them up would be a slow-paced team, with an efficient offense. You're not going to beat the Zags in a track meet. You have to slow them down. To have any chance to slow them down, you can't get in a significant hole, which obviously was the downfall for UVA. If you're behind double-digits, the whole game plan is already shot. Don't think UVA's offense is elite enough to challenge the Zags. The obvious teams that could stifle the Zags would be Villanova or Wisconsin. Nova has the 7th slowest tempo in America; Wisconsin has the 21st slowest tempo. Both squads are also both in the top 10 for offensive efficiency. The other team that could give the Zags some trouble is Houston. Incredibly talented backcourt with Grimes, Sasser, Mills, Mark, and Jarreau.

You also have to wonder how Gonzaga will transition from playing WCC competition to playing NCAA tournament games. BYU and Saint Mary's have had some good teams in the past, but they look very NIT-ish this year. If some of those California schools are forced to cancel against Gonzaga, Few might want to schedule a Power-6 school on short notice.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
It's just hard to know how a team will react in close games in the NCAA Tournament. Matchups really matter, and the opponent is TBD after each round is played. There's only been one off the radar title winner in the last 30 years ish that UCONN team with Ollie I think?

So yeah the title winner is more than likely coming down to a handful of teams but it is still early plenty of time for a couple teams to throw their hat in the ring and a few we think can win it falling off the cliff for one reason or another.

This COVID puts another wrinkle we can't be sure which players will be playing even in 3 months.

Wisconsin is a team who I really have to watch as well.

They are another one who could cause issues.
I only watched a little bit of them against Marquette and Michigan State

But that team knows what to do on the court without the coach.
Similar to Villanova

That's because there's 5 coaches on the court at any given time.

Ah I see that now. 40% is a good clip from 3 for the year. However fg percentage is sub par. Is that due to the Uk game?

I just don’t see it with Wisconsin like some of you do. Bad loss tonight against an average at best Maryland team. These big ten teams all look the same to me. Iowa is the one team that can light it up but we no how volatile that can be especially with no defense.

Baylor has a weakness with teams who can play big and not lose athleticism.

Vital at the 4 is the key.
Was much easier with Gillespie as the 5.

Don't know when they match up against Oklahoma State
But I think that could be an issue for them.

Cunningham is huge. Oklahoma State can put a bunch of guards around him and play small but still have length.

Wisconsin takes a bad loss at home. KU fan was right, they are overrated.
KU would lose several games in the B1G. They sure as hell would NEVER win 14 straight conference championships. Fck...3 in a row would be tough sledding.

KU would lose several games in the B1G. They sure as hell would NEVER win 14 straight conference championships. Fck...3 in a row would be tough sledding.
Yeah the big ten has produced so many championship teams. Agreed.

Are we back on this shit again...

Who is the top team in the B1G

Is that team better than Texas Tech.

We heard Illinois...They suck
Iowa....They suck
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Best team in the BIG wouldn't even finish in the Top half of the Big 12

Guarantee that
B1G doesn't have the athletes across the board.
Too many slow footed bigs

• Haha
Reactions: philliniDC
The team in the big 12 that really had my attention is Texas. They might be the third best team.

ADVERTISEMENT