ADVERTISEMENT

We are around 15 games into the season. Who are the real contenders?

Duke took a gamble hiring an unproven coach. He is in good shape to succeed, if he has what it takes to coach. It is premature to call it a bust, but he has a steep hill to climb. This team has no fire, and that falls on the coach. So Scheyer needs to start a fire or it will be a long season and ensuing offseason fending off the wolves coming for his head.

Duke took a gamble hiring an unproven coach. He is in good shape to succeed, if he has what it takes to coach. It is premature to call it a bust, but he has a steep hill to climb. This team has no fire, and that falls on the coach. So Scheyer needs to start a fire or it will be a long season and ensuing offseason fending off the wolves coming for his head.
I'm not use to listening to a BB fan share a well thought out and even keeled opinion, thanks.

Who knows....

Folk say...

-Texas. And they give up 200 points to fukin K-State. With Beard being an unknown, I stay away.

-Purdue: Being led by freshman guards; I know, Edey. Yes he's their dude. But Purdue is where they are b/c of Loyer and Smith being much better than expected; there's a reason Painter went after a PG hard in the portal. Also, their shooting---Yikes. Cannot recall last time a Purdue team was this bad(shooting_

Kansas: No real big. And they to are depending on an unproven b/c; although it seems that aspect is starting come along.

I like AZ and UConn. I know, both have WTF losses. But conference play is a beast. Really like the Cats.

Tenn: All the parts. But they seem to disappear sometimes offensively.

Bama/Arky: I don't think their style allows for 6 straight.

Dark horse: Kentucky. Yep-----Kentucky. Seen this story before. ANd lets not pretend the talent isn't there----IT IS. I understand its been 8 years,or 7 since a FF---So, well, they're due. Need Toppin to be more consistent....Wheeler to quit leaving his feet, with no place to go---OR---dribbling in so deep, and getting trapped among the tree's. Fredrick has to make shots, or he's a liability. A defensive mess. Even then----Wallace is the type of talent, along with Oscar that can run you deep into March. Be leery of UK.

Who knows....

Folk say...

-Texas. And they give up 200 points to fukin K-State. With Beard being an unknown, I stay away.

-Purdue: Being led by freshman guards; I know, Edey. Yes he's their dude. But Purdue is where they are b/c of Loyer and Smith being much better than expected; there's a reason Painter went after a PG hard in the portal. Also, their shooting---Yikes. Cannot recall last time a Purdue team was this bad(shooting_

Kansas: No real big. And they to are depending on an unproven b/c; although it seems that aspect is starting come along.

I like AZ and UConn. I know, both have WTF losses. But conference play is a beast. Really like the Cats.

Tenn: All the parts. But they seem to disappear sometimes offensively.

Bama/Arky: I don't think their style allows for 6 straight.

Dark horse: Kentucky. Yep-----Kentucky. Seen this story before. ANd lets not pretend the talent isn't there----IT IS. I understand its been 8 years,or 7 since a FF---So, well, they're due. Need Toppin to be more consistent....Wheeler to quit leaving his feet, with no place to go---OR---dribbling in so deep, and getting trapped among the tree's. Fredrick has to make shots, or he's a liability. A defensive mess. Even then----Wallace is the type of talent, along with Oscar that can run you deep into March. Be leery of UK.
Your wife is standing beside you watching you type that! 🤣 🤣
I always knew she was your Better half. 🤣 🤣😎

• Haha
Reactions: IUfanBorden
To early to tell (look at UNc last year) but as of now for me Purdue (I’m not real high on them) KU, UConn and Zona look to be the front runners.

Reactions: KisteK and cdbearde
They need to step up their defense. There’s no excuse for the defense they’ve shown so far. The last 10 minutes of the 1st half in the title game they played outstanding defense against KU. This group has shown they can do it. So why aren’t they?

Defense is certainly hurting them. I would never expect this UNC team to have an elite defense, in spite of Leaky Black.

They're capable of being decent to good on defense. Right now, they're mediocre - and mediocre defenses won't win 6 in March. If they can at least be adequate on defense (26-50 in Adj Def), then they could be a serious threat. Offense is capable of being a little better, too.

Amazing how the Illini have wins over UCLA and Texas (with a close loss to Virginia) but are so messed up at the moment only have a home loss to Penn State to show for it.

Those wins over UCLA and Texas are certainly great for the resume.

Winning just 3 of the last 7 doesn't look good - especially when 2 of those wins are over SWAC teams. Not sure what happened to Terrence Shannon. He looked like a sure-fire All-American the first month of the season.

I'm wondering if the UNC core players are just kind of going through the motions right now after the deep run maybe not focused.

It is true they were in the 8/9 game last year so it's not like they crushed it all year and just come up short in the end.

10-5 but if you look @ those losses each is to a quality team.

I don't know if they can just flip the switch in March again, they probably want to start hitting their stride in a few weeks.

702cb1c6-51f7-44d6-a1e5-194a5f792515-pu_20.jpg

I try to imagine sometimes what you would call an Iowa team that is really good. This was what I came up with.

K retired....
The bigger issue than coaching is the fact that 2 of our 3 top 10 recruits are amongst the worst performing ones that Duke has ever recruited. Prior to this, we haven't had many major top 10 recruit busts like other blue bloods have had with guys like Josh Selby, Skal Labissiere, Cliff Alexander, Daniel Orton, Nas Little, etc.

Lively was the #1 player coming out of HS according to ESPN and he literally has no post game, passing ability and can't rebound. Literally all he can do is defend the rim and switch out to the perimeter to guard the 3 point.

Whitehead hasn't shown the ability to break down the opposing defense and is a black hole with the ball in his hands.

Roach was supposed to take a step forward like most upperclassmen Duke guards do but has clearly regressed.

Without transcendent recruits or talented upperclassmen, it could be a long year for us.

The bigger issue than coaching is the fact that 2 of our 3 top 10 recruits are amongst the worst performing ones that Duke has ever recruited. Prior to this, we haven't had many major top 10 recruit busts like other blue bloods have had with guys like Josh Selby, Skal Labissiere, Cliff Alexander, Daniel Orton, Nas Little, etc.

Lively was the #1 player coming out of HS according to ESPN and he literally has no post game, passing ability and can't rebound. Literally all he can do is defend the rim and switch out to the perimeter to guard the 3 point.

Whitehead hasn't shown the ability to break down the opposing defense and is a black hole with the ball in his hands.

Roach was supposed to take a step forward like most upperclassmen Duke guards do but has clearly regressed.

Without transcendent recruits or talented upperclassmen, it could be a long year for us.
Does Lively come back for a Soph season?

I'd assume Whitehead still turns pro after one year but maybe not?

Flip projects 2nd round?

I was definitely expecting a lot more from Whitehead and Lively. Granted, they are coming off injuries that set them back at the beginning of the season. Filipowski is putting up good numbers but has been terribly inefficient on offense, especially for a 7-footer. Makes you wonder why they've been so underwhelming. Were their games more flawed than expected coming in? Way overhyped? Is their lack of development due to coaching? We'll never know what this team would've looked like under K's control compared to Scheyer, but I suspect K would be getting more out of them by now.

Care to put a friendly wager on that?
It is an unfair bet because there is no true way to measure your enjoyment level. You could say you didn't enjoy your NIT experience when you actually did. 😆

It is an unfair bet because there is no true way to measure your enjoyment level. You could say you didn't enjoy your NIT experience when you actually did. 😆
Well if anybody knows about NIT’s I’m sure it’s UT fans so I’ll take your word for it.

• Wow
Reactions: KisteK
Well if anybody knows about NIT’s I’m sure it’s UT fans so I’ll take your word for it.
When you get there I'll be pulling for y'all to make a FF.

And if (and that’s a big IF) Barnes stops losing early I’ll pull for UT to make a final four. I can’t imagine how bad the UT fans want him gone after failing each of the last four years to reach a final four with what has been called UT’s best team each of those years.

And if (and that’s a big IF) Barnes stops clamming out early I’ll pull for UT to make a final four. I can’t imagine how bad the UT fans want him gone after failing each of the last four years to reach a final four with what has been called UT’s best team each of those years.
How many times y'all been to the FF is the last 4 years Scooter? Y'all appear to be climbing down the ladder of success instead of up it.

How many times y’all been the last four years having some of you best teams ever in Knoxville? How many times have y’all been since the beginning of your program?

How many times y’all been the last four years having some of you best teams ever in Knoxville? How many times have y’all been since the beginning of your program?
You kinda didn’t answer my question Scooter. We do kick y’all’s ass and that’s what matters to us.

You kinda didn’t answer my question Scooter. We do kick y’all’s ass and that’s what matters to us.
Wait I thought we split last season? Did we not? And yes I know beating UK is what matters to UT fans. That’s why we’re UK and y’all are UT

Wait I thought we split last season? Did we not? And yes I know beating UK is what matters to UT fans. That’s why we’re UK and y’all are UT
No, we beat ya 2/3

As long as we keep beating ya I'm happy to keep you as UK and me as UT.

No, we beat ya 2/3

As long as we keep beating ya I'm happy to keep you as UK and me as UT.
As long as y’all beat us? Jesus Christ what did you do the first 50 or 60 years of playing us?

ADVERTISEMENT