ADVERTISEMENT

We are around 15 games into the season. Who are the real contenders?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
15 games in and some of the chaff has been removed. Who are the teams looking to be contenders?

@ThePhog08 this seems like exactly like an assignment for you if you'll accept it. Who are the top 10 contenders and why are they so?

• Love
Reactions: ThePhog08
I'm not really sure, tbh. Partially because there are too many fluff games in the non-conference season. And partially because there aren't crazy dominant teams this year. We'll have a much better idea by mid-February of who might be able to string 6 in a row. But, I'll take a stab at it.

Tier 1:
Houston
UConn
Kansas
Arizona
Texas (assuming the Beard turmoil doesn't affect the players)

Tier 2:
Purdue
UCLA
Alabama
Tennessee
Gonzaga
North Carolina
Virginia

UNC is to erratic at this time to be considered in any tier. KU, UConn and Arizona has stood out to me so far.

Erratic seems like an appropriate description. I mean, I wouldn't be picking them for a Final Four anytime soon. But, just given their experience and offensive capabilities, I think they're a team that's good enough to win 4+ games in March. Defense is the biggest weakness that needs to be addressed.

I'm not really sure, tbh. Partially because there are too many fluff games in the non-conference season. And partially because there aren't crazy dominant teams this year. We'll have a much better idea by mid-February of who might be able to string 6 in a row. But, I'll take a stab at it.

Tier 1:
Houston
UConn
Kansas
Arizona

Tier 2:
Purdue
UCLA
Alabama
Tennessee
Gonzaga
North Carolina
Virginia
UNC at 9-5 doesn't look like a contender to me unless you're adding last year as they didn't look good then either, but went on a tear.

UNC at 9-5 doesn't look like a contender to me unless you're adding last year as they didn't look good then either, but went on a tear.

As of right now, I agree. They haven't really looked the part of a true contender.

If Love and Davis can be a little more consistent from the outside, I think UNC will be a VERY tough out. When 2 volume-shooters are connecting at 30% or below from three, you're putting yourself in a monster hole. But, we've seen what these guys are capable of. They're better shooters than that. Bacot is playing like a sure-fire All-American. And Leaky Black is an impressively fine defender. He locked down Brandon Miller quite convincingly. Just need to get the other 4 guys to bring more defensive effort.

So, with a little more effort on defense + a little better shooting from the perimeter, UNC would at the bare minimum would be a second-tier title contender, IMO.

It's wide open and will remain that way. Injuries and a scandal or two could eliminate a few contenders.

UNC is to erratic at this time to be considered in any tier. KU, UConn and Arizona has stood out to me so far.
We've looked good but you can tell we can have some major matchup issues against certain teams. The big 12 slate is loaded and I can easily see a 4-6 loss connie season for any of the top three teams in the league.

As of right now, I agree. They haven't really looked the part of a true contender.

If Love and Davis can be a little more consistent from the outside, I think UNC will be a VERY tough out. When 2 volume-shooters are connecting at 30% or below from three, you're putting yourself in a monster hole. But, we've seen what these guys are capable of. They're better shooters than that. Bacot is playing like a sure-fire All-American. And Leaky Black is an impressively fine defender. He locked down Brandon Miller quite convincingly. Just need to get the other 4 guys to bring more defensive effort.

So, with a little more effort on defense + a little better shooting from the perimeter, UNC would at the bare minimum would be a second-tier title contender, IMO.

Yeah, defense is the key. While they need to shoot better I don't even think that is a requirement. Their offensive efficiency is pretty good despite poor shooting. But they are abysmal on defense, just embarrassing. They have to get way better on that end.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Tennessee has a great shot at the SEC
Will we be ready for a run in March?

Lately we have overachieved during the season and underachieved in the big Tourney. Got to have something left in the tank this go round..

Reactions: Vern4Vols
Tennessee has a great shot at the SEC
Will we be ready for a run in March?

Lately we have overachieved during the season and underachieved in the big Tourney. Got to have something left in the tank this go round..

You guys should let UK beat you @ UT next weekend and use it for motivation. It helps both teams out.

You guys should let UK beat you @ UT next weekend and use it for motivation. It helps both teams out.
That is not what needs to happen at all. I think we need to beat y'all's ass and you use that ass kicking as motivation to pull yourselves together until we play y'all in Rupp.

Reactions: mikeinknoxville

Tier 1:
Houston
UConn
Kansas
Arizona

Tier 2:
Purdue
UCLA
Alabama
Tennessee
Gonzaga
North Carolina
Virginia
Amazing how the Illini have wins over UCLA and Texas (with a close loss to Virginia) but are so messed up at the moment only have a home loss to Penn State to show for it.

Didn't you also get bitch slapped by Missouri?
indeed-omar.gif

They need to step up their defense. There’s no excuse for the defense they’ve shown so far. The last 10 minutes of the 1st half in the title game they played outstanding defense against KU. This group has shown they can do it. So why aren’t they?

I could see the tiers being a little more defined as we go thru the next few weeks but at this point Tennessee has to be at least knocking on the door if not already in the upper echelon.

Reactions: della
Can you imagine if North Carolina missed the tourney with almost everybody back from a team that nearly won the national title? Not sure anything like that has ever happened.

I would go

Houston
Arizona
Tennessee
Uconn
Kansas
UCLA

I really don't see anyone outside of that

Maybe UK if they live up to their potential

If Tennessee can consistently put their offense and defense together at the same time they will be tough to beat, but we all know that's not gonna happen. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: della
I would go

Houston
Arizona
Tennessee
Uconn
Kansas
UCLA

I really don't see anyone outside of that

Maybe UK if they live up to their potential
UK shmu sha, why do you go and mess up that work of brilliance by adding them. Why not Purdue? The Zags out?

If Tennessee can consistently put their offense and defense together at the same time they will be tough to beat, but we all know that's not gonna happen. 😁
I was beginning to think you had taken a vow of silence to all things Vols. Glad you're OK. Happy New Year!

• Love
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Looks like Paige has fleshed up somewhat, but I would..........
KY visits Bama Saturday and Oats is looking to stay undefeated in conference play.
He can make this team a contender, but I need to see some more conference games. Coming pretty soon is our visit to Tennessee. Could be a wild one.
Anyone old enough to remember Rick Barns as an assistant coach under Wimp Sanderson at Bama?

Reactions: bignish
ADVERTISEMENT