ADVERTISEMENT

Which Team Stands the Best Chance of Beating Duke for the Natty?

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Assuming Duke gets there, I'm wondering if Michigan is the team? They seem to be pretty consistent. I still pull for Charles Matthews. I liked the kid at UK, but he just never got the chance to develop like he did at Michigan.

@hailtoyourvictor

Last edited:
I’m watching Michigan right now and Tennessee, Virginia, and Gonzaga would all boatrace the wolverines.

UT, Zags, Duke, UVA In no particular order

I’m watching Michigan right now and Tennessee, Virginia, and Gonzaga would all boatrace the wolverines.

UT, Zags, Duke, UVA In no particular order
You could be right. I've not really had the chance this season to watch everybody. Tennessee has my respect, but they have to perform better in the tourney to get my solid vote. They don't have a great tourney history.

Call me crazy but think Alabama could beat them and maybe Houston. Both teams are real physical and could give them problems in the half court.

Bama is just a shadow away from a few more wins and if they make the Tourney could be a big surprise.

Davis for Houston is a fantastic PG and defender that could give Jones big problems that could disrupt their offense.

Call me crazy but think Alabama could beat them and maybe Houston. Both teams are real physical and could give them problems in the half court.

Bama is just a shadow away from a few more wins and if they make the Tourney could be a big surprise.

Davis for Houston is a fantastic PG and defender that could give Jones big problems that could disrupt their offense.

You're crazy.

Nobody will beat a healthy Duke team. A team with 3 lottery picks and 2 more 1st rounders don't lose.
Book it

Reactions: sgrooms
Duke will fall to a 3-5 seed in the tourney. Duke gets up for the huge games, but not so much for games they should win.

I think the demise of Duke, if it happens, will be at the hands of a cold shooting night and foul trouble to RJ/Zion.

It’s tough to see anyone having an edge against Duke if they’re at 100% and playing their A game.

Then again, two goofy white kids from the Midwest beat the 14-15 UK team, so what do I know?

I still think Virginia is a better team. They had a terrible shooting night and Duke took 31 FTs, both things that are rare. OTOH, Duke did not have Tre of course and also shot poorly from two areas (but that is more typical of them than UVA I think). This was all also at Duke, where teams just have a tough time winning.

However, what are the chances of the two meeting up in the dance? I would think pretty rare. I think Tennessee could definitely beat them. Gonzaga and Michigan as well probably but not as likely.

With all this said, they are obviously good enough to beat anyone as well. They are a great team.

Duke.

Poor FT shooting and 3 ball may be their ultimate demise. Nobody is beating them if they are firing on all cylinders though. Problem is, due to youth, etc., they haven't been firing on all cylinders much as of late. They probably still could win it all the way they are playing now due to sheer talent and athletic advantages.

I still think Virginia is a better team. They had a terrible shooting night and Duke took 31 FTs, both things that are rare. OTOH, Duke did not have Tre of course and also shot poorly from two areas (but that is more typical of them than UVA I think). This was all also at Duke, where teams just have a tough time winning.

However, what are the chances of the two meeting up in the dance? I would think pretty rare. I think Tennessee could definitely beat them. Gonzaga and Michigan as well probably but not as likely.

With all this said, they are obviously good enough to beat anyone as well. They are a great team.

Ahh yes I’m sure our top 10 defense had nothing to do with it

Reactions: sgrooms
Duke will fall to a 3-5 seed in the tourney. Duke gets up for the huge games, but not so much for games they should win.
I dislike Duke as much as anyone, but come on Della. If people can't understand the magnitude of playing with out one or two starters, I can't help ya.

I dislike Duke as much as anyone, but come on Della. If people can't understand the magnitude of playing with out one or two starters, I can't help ya.

Duke lost to Gonzaga with one of their starters out and there's still not many people who think Gonzaga is better than Duke.

UVA also currently has the 2nd largest efficiency margin in the Kenpom era (only behind 2015 Kentucky) and we just lost to Duke without Tre Jones. Do I really think Duke is THAT much better than UVA because they beat us by 2 points at home, even without Tre? Does that mean they are guaranteed to beat us at UVA by even more when they get Tre Jones back? Not at all.

People like @bignish like to use Kenpom as indicators of who the best teams are. But they are simply predictive models. Doesn't guarantee shit in a one game scenario. I think a fully healthy Duke is the best team in the country. But I don't think they are invincible.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Ahh yes I’m sure our top 10 defense had nothing to do with it

I only watched parts of the game off and on but UVA had open shots. They missed them. Duke's defense wasn't bad at all (not as good as with Jones though) but you are a massive homer so can't see they also shot quite poorly.

UVA also currently has the 2nd largest efficiency margin in the Kenpom era (only behind 2015 Kentucky) and we just lost to Duke without Tre Jones. Do I really think Duke is THAT much better than UVA because they beat us by 2 points at home, even without Tre? Does that mean they are guaranteed to beat us at UVA by even more when they get Tre Jones back? Not at all.

People like @bignish like to use Kenpom as indicators of who the best teams are. But they are simply predictive models. Doesn't guarantee shit in a one game scenario. I think a fully healthy Duke is the best team in the country. But I don't think they are invincible.

They could be. I've thought so most of the year. I think UVA and UT are right there with them though and could possibly be better. Could also be a notch below them though. I think those three are best with UM behind though.

I like Duke just fine, players on the dl don't count for others as an excuse and shouldn't count for Duke. What does Duke have as a back up, a 5 star McDonald's All America? Poor things...

I can see that- but to be fair Della, Duke was without two starters vs Cuse.
True, but the Cuse is an unranked team for a reason.
Did you know Syracuse lost to Old Dominion, a team that itself lost to FAU?

The battleship Duke shouldn't have to be all hands on deck to defeat the PT boat Syracuse.

I like Duke just fine, players on the dl don't count for others as an excuse and shouldn't count for Duke. What does Duke have as a back up, a 5 star McDonald's All America? Poor things...
All 5*s aren't equal. As for UK, Hagans vs Greene. Terrible take Della.
Call it what you want, excuses or what ever, common sense prevails

All 5*s aren't equal. As for UK, Hagans vs Greene. Terrible take Della.
Call it what you want, excuses or what ever, common sense prevails
True, but in 98% of cases a 5* is superior to a 3*. Living by the rule is going to work out for you more often than living by the exception.

Btw, I think I could really help you with your look. (avatar):)

Last edited:
True, but in 98% of cases a 5* is superior to a 3*. Living by the rule is far superior to living by the exception.

Btw, I think I could really help you with your look. (avatar):)
I agree. UK should have never lost to a Ala 3 and 4 star team. It happens for one game.

I agree. UK should have never lost to a Ala 3 and 4 star team. It happens for one game.
It will happen a second and third time when they play UT's 2 & 3* team, just sayin.:p

Duke can be beat and will be beat again this year. Probably more than once. But I'm not buying UVA. They are the same team albeit better this year than last. They can only win one way and when Duke got up 6 the game was over. Their margin for error is so small and if they get behind in the tourney they are toast. They simply can not score quickly enough.

Reactions: oldsports_
Duke can be beat and will be beat again this year. Probably more than once. But I'm not buying UVA. They are the same team albeit better this year than last. They can only win one way and when Duke got up 6 the game was over. Their margin for error is so small and if they get behind in the tourney they are toast. They simply can not score quickly enough.
UVA is really not in the discussion for #1 next week.

Is that way scoring more points than the other team?

ADVERTISEMENT