ADVERTISEMENT

Which team does a title do the most for, historically speaking?

Jul 6, 2007
Could be the Heels. Pull this off and it’s 7 to UK’s 8. On top of that, we only have 1 title of all white guys. UK has 4. Half their titles have no color. Sorry, but those 4 should count as 2. Therefore, 6.5 to 6. Heels for the win. 😉

For Duke, a 6th puts em right at Carolina’s heels all-time imo. No pun intended.

Kansas or Nova would get to 4, which prob locks KU in at 3 or 4 all-time. Nova legitimizes it’s seat at the big boy table, though I think that has already happened.

Reactions: Aberdale
To answer the question, I think Villanova. They're solidly in the all time great discussion, this concretes them in. Maybe. Maybe it is more impressive on a current level.

Easily Kansas. 15 previous final 4s but only 3 titles.

they lead the country in wins and conference titles and are right there in final fours.

a little short on titles though when compared to fellow elites

Reactions: GE Nole
Great thread 2 things come to my mind nobody has mentioned yet.
1) Duke, Coach K just goes out dragging his nuts all over everyone's face I gotta tell ya it would just be hilarious
or
2) UNC, what if this is just the beginning for Hubert and he becomes some kind of legend himself

Could be historical for both IMO

Reactions: GE Nole
Could be the Heels. Pull this off and it’s 7 to UK’s 8. On top of that, we only have 1 title of all white guys. UK has 4. Half their titles have no color. Sorry, but those 4 should count as 2. Therefore, 6.5 to 6. Heels for the win. 😉

For Duke, a 6th puts em right at Carolina’s heels all-time imo. No pun intended.

Kansas or Nova would get to 4, which prob locks KU in at 3 or 4 all-time. Nova legitimizes it’s seat at the big boy table, though I think that has already happened.
Iowa. It would do the most for Iowa.

I agree it's probably Kansas.

There are certainly arguments to be made for all four though.

Easily Kansas. 15 previous final 4s but only 3 titles.

they lead the country in wins and conference titles and are right there in final fours.

a little short on titles though when compared to fellow elites
KU has lost two title games by 1 point and another by two.

Only 3 of our title teams were all white, not 4 :)

Honestly a title boosts all 4 resumes significantly imo.
Are we sure. Cause this is your 4th title team here.
1958_Kentucky.jpg

Obviously. Especially since we were the only white team back then. Huge disadvantage but still pulled it off.
That's kind of the point. 1960 was when the NCAA moved past the "gentlemen's agreement." Though let's be honest, there was nothing gentlemanly about it lol. Not many blacks played in the 40's and 50's, but I think you knew what my original point was. ;)

KU has lost two title games by 1 point and another by two.

indeed. But that works in the other direction as well, needing “Mario’s miracle” to get their last title in 2008. In the end all that matters is the banner, no matter how.

No one doubts Kansas tradition. But the question is who would benefit from this title the most. My point is they only have 3 NCAA banners, which is the only “weak spot” compared to the other elites. They need this title most.

Indiana and UConn have more titles than Kansas. So yeah, I'd say a title for Kansas would be more significant than for the other programs.

Nova has 3 titles, as well. But, I have them 9th on my all-time rankings. KU and Villanova should not have the same number of titles. KU has been to 9 more Final Fours (15-6), and and 5 more title games (9-4) than Villanova.

Indiana and UConn have more titles than Kansas. So yeah, I'd say a title for Kansas would be more significant than for the other programs.

Nova has 3 titles, as well. But, I have them 9th on my all-time rankings. KU and Villanova should not have the same number of titles. KU has been to 9 more Final Fours (15-6), and and 5 more title games (9-4) than Villanova.
I agree.

To me Nova is probably the lowest on the list. They’re building a legacy and have had a ton of recent success, but whether they win or lose I think they’re under the more “traditional” powers from a historical standpoint and still considered one of the top current program in todays game.

I’d put KU first then probably UNC second, but I could see arguments for Duke at second as well.

Let’s face it though. A title is gigantic for any and all.

KU
UNC
Duke
Nova

Though I think UNC ruining K's final game at home AND ending his career would supercede a title.

Reactions: 829305
it is KU for all the reasons mentioned above and I would add, while you can certainly never assume a title that 2020 Kansas team had become dominant...the world has just not been quite right since that tourney got cancelled. Damn you Rudy Gobert!

Which ones recent? Feel like we’ve been well out of the last couple like 2012 and 2003. 1991?
The triple overtime loss to UNC in ‘56, we lost by 1 to Indiana in the 70s, and then Syracuse in 2003 we lost by 3. Sorry on that one, I thought it was two. I remember Mike Lee had an open look at the buzzer but missed it. That was to tie the game, I thought was to win the game.

indeed. But that works in the other direction as well, needing “Mario’s miracle” to get their last title in 2008. In the end all that matters is the banner, no matter how.

No one doubts Kansas tradition. But the question is who would benefit from this title the most. My point is they only have 3 NCAA banners, which is the only “weak spot” compared to the other elites. They need this title most.
Right, but historically it has worked in the wrong direction for us more than the right direction.

I’m also not sure we should keep calling it “Mario’s Miracle”. We ran that play for Mario so many times and he hit it at a fairly high %. He was good catching and shooting, didn’t need to be planted.

Fvck all these teams but fvck Nova the most for having 0 representation around here
I wore my KU gear in Philly on a work trip. I ran into quite a few Nova fans. They may not have an online presence, but they will stop you in the street. Good people in person. But their online fans, when you do find them, are pretty nasty.

I wore my KU gear in Philly on a work trip. I ran into quite a few Nova fans. They may not have an online presence, but they will stop you in the street. Good people in person. But their online fans, when you do find them, are pretty nasty.
Some of 'em probably wouldn't pi$$ on you if you were on fire. And no offense to you, but those are the NOVA fans I wanna get to know.

ADVERTISEMENT