ADVERTISEMENT

What's so great about UNCs resume?

Yup, but when your players are good enough after 1 year to go in the first round of the draft, what are you going to do?

I mean look at this team. Herro, Washington, Hagans and Keldon are all gone after this year. They're all projected to go in the first round. If Barnes was coaching them, they'd be 4 year guys.

So what would you do Della? Would you force those kids to come back to school in that situation?
I suppose I would sign less one and dones.

We came back from 8 down with less than 3 min to go against y'all to take the series from ya in the last game y'all played.

Is that recent enough for ya?
Yeah, but just like every other SEC program, you put everything you have into beating UK, then get trucked in your next game.

Reactions: Scotty00
There are more top end teams in the ACC.

What bothers me about the SEC is it is a football conference and fans of those football power schools don't give a shit about basketball....until Kentucky comes to town. Then all the sudden it's a white/black/gold/orange out and the whole arena is in a frenzy.

It's gotten better though now that there are other good top end teams in the SEC. For a long time it was just UK, nobody else was worth getting excited about.
I don't doubt this at all. But that doesn't mean that other top programs would struggle in the SEC as you suggested. They're used to it as well.

I suppose I would sign less one and dones.
So Calipari is supposed to tell these players "no thanks, I'm going to pass and sign these 3* guys"?

What you don't realize is your coach is recruiting those same players, he's just not getting them.

Also, all 5* kids aren't one and done caliber. Some put in the extra hard work and go sooner than expected, but there are many that need more development before they get recognized by the NBA.

So Calipari is supposed to tell these players "no thanks, I'm going to pass and sign these 3* guys"?

What you don't realize is your coach is recruiting those same players, he's just not getting them.

Also, all 5* kids aren't one and done caliber. Some put in the extra hard work and go sooner than expected, but there are many that need more development before they get recognized by the NBA.
We tried that with 4*/non McD’s All-American Herro.

I don't doubt this at all. But that doesn't mean that other top programs would struggle in the SEC as you suggested. They're used to it as well.
Well, let's look at it this way, UK has great success in the NCAAT and in pre conference play, just like all the other blue bloods. But UK has had many years where it struggled on the road in league play. Why?

Just this year, UK beat UNC comfortably in Chicago, blew Louisville's doors off in Louisville, but turned around and lost at Alabama, lost by 19 at UT and lost at home to LSU.

League play is tough and Duke, UNC, KU and any other programs you want to mention, would certainly have their struggles in this league.

Do you think KU would win the SEC 10+ straight years? Hell no they wouldn't. But when has the SEC had a higher rating than the BIG12? Why can they win the BIG12 so often, but not have as much pre conference or tournament success as UK?

I'm just saying, the SEC is better during conference play than most want to believe.

I'm very cautiously optimistic. I don't think UT players can get up for games outside of UK. Call me conceited or whatever, but seriously.
Typical SEC program behavior. But I think this UT team has the right attitude. But that performance against Auburn has me questioning that. Hopefully it was just a blip

You sign classes to win. If 1 and dones are not working you should adjust the mix. Don't you think?

Reactions: EssoMeng
Well, let's look at it this way, UK has great success in the NCAAT and in pre conference play, just like all the other blue bloods. But UK has had many years where it struggled on the road in league play. Why?

Just this year, UK beat UNC comfortably in Chicago, blew Louisville's doors off in Louisville, but turned around and lost at Alabama, lost by 19 at UT and lost at home to LSU.

League play is tough and Duke, UNC, KU and any other programs you want to mention, would certainly have their struggles in this league.

Do you think KU would win the SEC 10+ straight years? Hell no they wouldn't. But when has the SEC had a higher rating than the BIG12? Why can they win the BIG12 so often, but not have as much pre conference or tournament success as UK?

I'm just saying, the SEC is better during conference play than most want to believe.

But UK didn’t play any ACC teams during “conference play”. As in that time of year. There is a huge difference in playing OOC teams in November and early December vs Jan and feb when rotations tighten and freshman are no longer freshman.

The SEC isn’t the pac 12, but it certainly isn’t as strong of a conference as the ACC.

Most years, including this year, I don’t think Duke, UNC or UVA would have nearly as tough of a time in the SEC vs ACC.. aside from UK and the occasional team that pops up along with them.

My drive by opinion only, of course.

I think Herro stays for another year or two.
Hands-Fingers-Crossed.jpg

You sign classes to win. If 1 and dones are not working you should adjust the mix. Don't you think?
Looks to me like one and done is working for UK. Since 2010, UK has the most tournament wins.

But young teams lose games in November and December, that's my point.

Imagine playing this Duke team right out of the gate like UK did. By the time everyone else got to play them, they all knew what they were facing. Not to mention Duke hit every shot they puked up. They haven't shot like that since then.

Do you honestly think UK loses by 34 to Duke if they had watched Duke dismantle another really good team like that?

By the time UK and UNC played, each team was far better than they were in early November. I mean, it was late December when UK and UNC played.

I know UNC is a much better team now, but so is UK. In fact, it looks to me like UK has improved more than UNC has and that's to be expected. UK is younger and had to mesh in more new players than UNC did.

UK had their feet underneath them in that UNC game, not do much in that November game against Duke. If Duke and UK we're to meet now, nobody is getting blown it, it would be a very close game.

solid homeboard analysis

He is not ready for the NBA. He struggles under pressure defense. He was shut down by Bone and Company. The NBA is much tougher than Bone and Company. In a few years he will be great.

But UK didn’t play any ACC teams during “conference play”. As in that time of year. There is a huge difference in playing OOC teams in November and early December vs Jan and feb when rotations tighten and freshman are no longer freshman.

The SEC isn’t the pac 12, but it certainly isn’t as strong of a conference as the ACC.

Most years, including this year, I don’t think Duke, UNC or UVA would have nearly as tough of a time in the SEC.

My drive by opinion only, of course.
You addressed my comments about pre conference success, but what about my point about NCAAT success? UK has won more NCAAT games since 2010 than anyone else and there was a year in that timeframe (2013) when UK didn't even make the tournament.

So UK holds its own in November, December and March.

So UK has beaten all the other blue bloods before and after conference play (haven't played Duke in the NCAAT in many years though), but you're telling me that all the other blue bloods would perform better in SEC play than UK???? Okay. Makes sense, not really, but like you said, it's your fly by opinion.

Looks to me like one and done is working for UK. Since 2010, UK has the most tournament wins.

But young teams lose games in November and December, that's my point.
Then you have to consider those losses as acceptable losses, but acknowledge them as losses. You can't have it both ways.

I think Herro stays for another year or two.
Nope, he gone.

Trust me, he's white, I get it, but that dude is gone. We have seen this too many times to believe a kid with his talent and drive is going to come back when he's projected in the first round of the draft. Not happening.

Nope, he gone.

Trust me, he's white, I get it, but that dude is gone. We have seen this too many times to believe a kid with his talent and drive is going to come back when he's projected in the first round of the draft. Not happening.
I think you're wrong on that.

He is not ready for the NBA. He struggles under pressure defense. He was shut down by Bone and Company. The NBA is much tougher than Bone and Company. In a few years he will be great.
Spoken like a person that has no clue about what NBA potential means.

Then you have to consider those losses as acceptable losses, but acknowledge them as losses. You can't have it both ways.
Do you dissect other fan bases post or just UK's?

It's very telling, along with flattering.

Some think we're being arrogant or pompous when we talk about how we're the center of the universe, but then we have posters from other teams who make us the center of their universe.

Spoken like a person that has no clue about what NBA potential means.
I think it is you that is clueless. An 8th grader can have potential, but he ain't getting signed. Potential is directly related to development. Herro was shut down and actually looked bad at UT twice. I think he has the potential to be really good, but he needs more experience and coaching.

I think it is you that is clueless. An 8th grader can have potential, but he ain't getting signed. Potential is directly related to development. Herro was shut down and actually looked bad at UT twice. I think he has the potential to be really good, but he needs more experience and coaching.
I hope he comes back for a second year.

Saying, "that loss was in November" is wanting it both ways.
Saying the loss was in November means it was an early season game with a freshmen oriented team with huge upside. There's a big difference between playing UK in November and playing them in March. That's all I'm saying.

You talking about losses that happened in November and December is what brings me to say "that was November Della, this is March, you don't see UK losing games by 20, or 34 in March, UK is a different team now".

I don't know why this is so hard for you to comprehend. UK and Duke are different than any other program you can come up with, using one and done players means they have young teams that are still learning in November and December, but they win in March. However, you keep talking about the losses that UK suffered in November and December like they happened in March.

UT just lost by 20 to a 5 seed in March right before the tournament. That is far more alarming than UK losing by 34 to Duke in the first game of the season, losing an essential road game to Seton Hall by a bucket in December or losing a road game at Alabama in early January.

Never did I say I wanted it both ways, but I am saying you're being dumb when you constantly bring up losses that UK had in November and December, especially when you just got smoked by a 5 seed on a neutral court in March.

Do you dissect other fan bases post or just UK's?

It's very telling, along with flattering.

Some think we're being arrogant or pompous when we talk about how we're the center of the universe, but then we have posters from other teams who make us the center of their universe.
I generally dissect and respond to post that I was quoted in. So yeah, it is flattering to have such a following of UK fans.Laughing

Saying the loss was in November means it was an early season game with a freshmen oriented team with huge upside. There's a big difference between playing UK in November and playing them in March. That's all I'm saying.

You talking about losses that happened in November and December is what brings me to say "that was November Della, this is March, you don't see UK losing games by 20, or 34 in March, UK is a different team now".

I don't know why this is so hard for you to comprehend. UK and Duke are different than any other program you can come up with, using one and done players means they have young teams that are still learning in November and December, but they win in March. However, you keep talking about the losses that UK suffered in November and December like they happened in March.

UT just lost by 20 to a 5 seed in March right before the tournament. That is far more alarming than UK losing by 34 to Duke in the first game of the season, losing an essential road game to Seton Hall by a bucket in December or losing a road game at Alabama in early January.

Never did I say I wanted it both ways, but I am saying you're being dumb when you constantly bring up losses that UK had in November and December, especially when you just got smoked by a 5 seed on a neutral court in March.
You don't get an asterisk for the loss. Y'all lost your last game by choking on a big lead with the game almost over. (not a good look going into the NCAA) This is March and not November.

You need to consider what you're doing when you swing a double edged sword.Laughing

You're making it worse Della.

Of course an 8th grader won't get signed by an NBA franchise....duhhhh, gee, I wonder why.

But you don't get it, all the NBA needs to see is potential Della. That's it. Skal labassier couldn't guard a damn trash can, he was scared of his own shadow, but that dude went in the first round of the draft after one season.

The NBA doesn’t give two shits that you got burned in a couple of games in college Della, they just don't.

Step out of this conversation before you get burned, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Herro has more than proven himself this year, he has NBA potential and he is projected to go first round.

It's not the first contract that is important Della, it is your second NBA deal that is important and getting into the league at 19 years old is one hell of a head start.

Just stick to what you know, which is 3* 4 year players.

Here we go again.

No, KU would not have won the SEC 14 straight times, but Kentucky definitely wouldn’t have won 14 straight in the Big 12.

Tourney upsets are exactly that. Do you think Northern Iowa and VCU were actually better than KU? Was K-State minus Wade better than UK? Was Wisconsin better? Did Duke losing to Lehigh mean that the ACC sucked that year?

Do you have numbers to back up that Kentucky has more OOC success? KU generally plays very tough OOC schedules but I’m betting they compare well even during Cal’s run. In the modern era overall, KU’s won about 100 more games with more final fours.

The Kentucky teams that struggled in the SEC were especially young teams that took time to blossom. I’m struggling to remember years in which they killed it during non-con, only to get their asses kicked by the SEC. But about every other year they get off to a somewhat rocky start in non-con.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT