ADVERTISEMENT

What's so great about UNCs resume?

SpartanJD

Dec 3, 2010
Im looking scratching my head.

MSU is 29-6. UNC is 27-6. MSU is 4-2 in their signature games. UNC is 3-4 with two wins coming against Zion less Duke. MSU has more Quad 1 wins,.

MSU won the regular season and conference tourney.

And they're the third overall seed?

What am I missing here?

I cant find any objective evidence to UNC having a better resume than MSU.

Edit: Didnt know UNC beat the Zags earlier in the year.

Last edited:
I agree with you OP. Shocked nobody has been talking about this though.

MSU is 29-6. UNC is 27-6. MSU is 4-2 in their signature games. UNC is 2-4 with both wins coming against Zion less Duke. MSU has more Quad 1 wins,.

What am I missing here?

Excellent post. And those two wins the other team was missing the NPOY. Look at some of UNC's games, they barely beat some bad teams and live and die by the 3 and a quick PG. Tourney is different than the regular season. Better and more physical D is allowed.

Should be interesting to see how they do against a Houston or UK if both make it that far.

It has the North Carolina Tarheels at the top of it. That gets them a whole lot (see A-A studies ordeal if you don't believe it).

MSU is 29-6. UNC is 27-6. MSU is 4-2 in their signature games. UNC is 2-4 with both wins coming against Zion less Duke. MSU has more Quad 1 wins,.

What am I missing here?

They didn’t get swept by Indiana

UNC didn’t get swept by 17-15 Indiana
UNC didn’t lose to 12-21 Illinois
That’s 3 inexcuseable losses. I’m willing to look past an upset but damn...

UNC lost to Virginia, UK, Duke, Louisville, Michigan, Texas. They definitely should have beat Texas but 1 inexcuseable loss in November 4 months ago is way different than 3 in the past month. Also worth mentioning that UNC only lost by 1 point to the #1 overall seed.

They also have two "bad" losses all year.

One to Texas and one to a Louisville team that they beat down twice after it happened.

And they have some really good wins against #1's while playing like the second toughest schedule all year.

This isn't much of a debate, imo.

Also worth mentioning that UNC only lost by 1 point to the #1 overall seed.

And pretty much boat raced em without Zion. That game came down to a last second shot. No way anyone tells me they aren't right there with Duke. Crazy to me that eeking out that win makes them world-beaters again. The FSU win was also impressive, but very much expected. As a Heel fan, there is bias, but I think we're right there with Duke, even though you wouldn't think that if you listened to the talking heads.

Reactions: RipThru
2-4 in signature games is just wrong. They played 20% of their games against teams that were in contention for 1 and 2 seeds as well. Plus, they haven't really lost a lot to crappy teams. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather switch with MSU though tbh.

And pretty much boat raced em without Zion. That game came down to a last second shot. No way anyone tells me they aren't right there with Duke. Crazy to me that eeking out that win makes them world-beaters again. The FSU win was also impressive, but very much expected. As a Heel fan, there is bias, but I think we're right there with Duke, even though you wouldn't think that if you listened to the talking heads.
The NPOY and without a game plan. Second game was close until midway through second half.

Kentucky fans have been up in arms about Duke not being penalized for losing sans Zion (yes they are the best team and should be overall#1 after everything shook out) but UNCs resume getting bolstered by the wins. You cant have it both ways.

Either way, Im glad UNC is in our region and we get to send you bastards home this year. Looking forward to it.

As for why MSU didn't get it? Objectively there isnt much. MSU was playing from behind. Getting swept by IU, I cant say I have a huge issue with it.

Michigan and Michigan State should have been swapped though

Kentucky fans have been up in arms about Duke not being penalized for losing sans Zion (yes they are the best team and should be overall#1 after everything shook out) but UNCs resume getting bolstered by the wins. You cant have it both ways.

Either way, Im glad UNC is in our region and we get to send you bastards home this year. Looking forward to it.

As for why MSU didn't get it? Objectively there isnt much. MSU was playing from behind. Getting swept by IU, I cant say I have a huge issue with it.

Michigan and Michigan State should have been swapped though
I think UNC going toe to toe vs duke with Zion sealed the 1 seed for them. Game could have easily gone either way. UNC was also leading uva (despite losing Little in the first half) before Cam Johnson went out with an ankle injury. Duke caught uva the second time when Jerome was banged up and Diatke went out.

They’re clearly the three best teams.

Reactions: shun1 and lerario
2-4 in signature games is just wrong. They played 20% of their games against teams that were in contention for 1 and 2 seeds as well. Plus, they haven't really lost a lot to crappy teams. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather switch with MSU though tbh.

I mean Im counting Duke 3 times, UVA once, Kentucky and Michigan out of conference as their signature games.

For MSU...played UM three times, Kansas, Purdue twice for 'signature' games.

If you want to count Wisconsin and FSU ok.

UNC schedule was very tough no doubt...but they lost most of their games vs other elite schools and you have to put an asterisk next to the wins vs Duke without Zion.

MSU I think has 3 more quad 1 wins.

I just think taking it all in MSU earned a 1 seed. To have UNC as the 3rd overall 1 is a joke.

Reactions: Quavarius
I think UNC going toe to toe vs duke with Zion sealed the 1 seed for them. Game could have easily gone either way. UNC was also leading uva (despite losing Little in the first half) before Cam Johnson went out with an ankle injury. Duke caught uva the second time when Jerome was banged up and Diatke went out.

So UNC won by losing...

Interesting logic.

Actually it was the losses by other teams, but if that makes you feel better.

That's the part that stands out. UNC is getting the computer bump from beating Duke (especially the first one - on the road, big win, Zion lost during the game so no time for adjustments), and Duke is getting the human bump from Zion's absence.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
So having two quad 2 losses negates all the other stuff?
Are you forgetting about the loss to Illinois? That's 3 bad losses.

Where are your impressive wins? You beat Michigan 3 times, but really, how good are they? We truly don't know.

Also, look at those quad 1 wins that MSU has. Most are tier 2 wins. I mean Penn State and Nebraska are considered Q1 because they were road wins. That's a joke.

MSU was a 2 seed IMO either way, I think Tennessee should have got a 1 over MSU to be honest.

But both teams should have been given a 1 long before Gonzaga, who has the resume of a 4 seed.

Reactions: 829305
I mean Im counting Duke 3 times, UVA once, Kentucky and Michigan out of conference as their signature games.

UNC schedule was very tough no doubt...but they lost most of their games vs other elite schools and you have to put an asterisk next to the wins vs Duke without Zion.

I just think taking it all in MSU earned a 1 seed. To have UNC as the 3rd overall 1 is a joke.
Run back to your home board and cry about it there.

Reactions: lerario

I'm just glad it's an MSU fan complaining about this, if this was a rant started by a UK fan, we would be catching hell.

It's okay for other fans to complain about brackets and officiating, so please, carry on.

Yes and no. MSU has a good case, but those were bad losses.
UNC has one really bad loss, and it was Texas in November in Texas. The UL beatdown was bad, but we beat them twice afterwards.

4 best teams are duke, uva, uk, and UNC. But I can see why UK get left out.

UT, UK, and Gonzaga all have better resumes than Sparty.

UNC has one really bad loss, and it was Texas in November in Texas. The UL beatdown was bad, but we beat them twice afterwards.

4 best teams are duke, uva, uk, and UNC. But I can see why UK get left out.

UT, UK, and Gonzaga all have better resumes than Sparty.
So you are on the Committee?

Are you forgetting about the loss to Illinois? That's 3 bad losses.

Where are your impressive wins? You beat Michigan 3 times, but really, how good are they? We truly don't know.

Also, look at those quad 1 wins that MSU has. Most are tier 2 wins. I mean Penn State and Nebraska are considered Q1 because they were road wins. That's a joke.

MSU was a 2 seed IMO either way, I think Tennessee should have got a 1 over MSU to be honest.

But both teams should have been given a 1 long before Gonzaga, who has the resume of a 4 seed.

Spin it any way you want but MSU has more Quad 1 wins. Im just using the committee's own criteria and PSU/Nebraska are ranked in the top 40 by KenPom.

What are UNCs great wins? Zion less Duke? UNC doesnt have a win vs an elite team unless you count Duke as elite without Zion which I wouldnt do because Duke didn't play at an elite level without him.

So UNC has arguably zero elite wins. And if you are going to say Michigan isnt all that...well Michigan and UNC played this year and it wasnt pretty.

Spin it any way you want but MSU has more Quad 1 wins. Im just using the committee's own criteria and PSU/Nebraska are ranked in the top 40 by KenPom.

What are UNCs great wins? Zion less Duke? UNC doesnt have a win vs an elite team unless you count Duke as elite without Zion which I wouldnt do because Duke didn't play at an elite level without him.

So UNC has arguably zero elite wins. And if you are going to say Michigan isnt all that...well Michigan and UNC played this year and it wasnt pretty.
What elite wins does MSU have?

Spin it any way you want but MSU has more Quad 1 wins. Im just using the committee's own criteria

Weren't Clemson and NC State ranked like 30-some spots higher in the NET ratings than various entrants? The committee obviously doesn't have any true criteria.

Reactions: lerario
They also have two "bad" losses all year.

One to Texas and one to a Louisville team that they beat down twice after it happened.

And they have some really good wins against #1's while playing like the second toughest schedule all year.

This isn't much of a debate, imo.
Compare their resume to Kentucky. Who beat them head to head.

Kentucky’s losses:

Duke
Seton Hall
Alabama
Tennessee x2 (once without RT)

Also did I mention we beat Carolina H2H On a neutral court.

ADVERTISEMENT