ADVERTISEMENT

Victor Wembanyama…

No one is throwing shade at Luka but right now, he's not better than Pippen and I doubt he's gonna have a better career than KD. Pippen, Kobe, Jordan and I'll throw in Rodman, those dudes will make Luka look average when guarding him. If he's isolated on someone he's gonna need some help, no way around it but with the ball in his hands he's definitely elite.

Whoa, wait----we one use ONE season as a barometer? Seriously? So what that Pippen shot 17% as a 22-year-old. I mean Jordan's biggest "flaw" early in his career was shooting----How'd that turn out?

For his career, Pippen shot 47%----Luka is the same. From "3", Pippen was 33%----Luka currently sits at .337%. But hey if ya wanna use "A" season, I can roll with 1996, where Pippen shot 37.4%---far better than Luka's career best of 35%. Also keep in mind, the "3" point shot wasn't used as much when Pippen played, as it is today...Not even close. It simply wasn't a part of the game, as it is today.

"Far superior" this and that is a huge ass stretch---Especially when you comparing a 23-year old, with a Top 20 player in most peoples opinion. Era's are different----Scottie played in an era with dominant bigs, where rebounding guards, or "3's such as Pippen, weren't relied on to rebound. Even then, he still was among the leaders for guys at his position....The game has changed. And that reflects on "stats".

If I had to choose between 1994-98 Pippen, or Donic of now, I'd take Pippen. Big reason being, is that not only could Pippen dominate on offense, he could do the same defensively. Ya wann use the word, "far superior", well that certainly applies when comparing Pippen/Donic defensively...It ain't even remotely close.

Luka is fantastic...Elite. No doubt. But again, to act like this is some type of "great new thing" is absurd.

Luka is 22. I used Scottie’s 22 year old season as a comparison point. Luka isn’t done getting better. He just now is scratching the surface.

And on top of that I used full career numbers for FTs and Rebounds.

I already said Pippen is the far superior defender. No one debates that. As an overall player, Luka will have a better career than Durant, Scottie, or 99% of the rest of the nba. He’s going to win multiple MVPs. Mark it down.

I’m not some 25 year old chump, either. I watched Pippen play all of the 90s.

lol why would someone bring up Scottie Pippen? He’s never a generational talent, and current Luka is already better than Scottie’s peak.

Reactions: GE Nole
He's very good, but nothing special---especially considering he's 6'7"----Lots of dudes his size, with his skill set.
you serious Clark? I think he is one of the best players in the NBA

you serious Clark? I think he is one of the best players in the NBA
yea, @IUfanBorden is never gonna live that down. Almost as bad as my brother who made this bet with me back during the 2019/2020 season where he claimed that Doncic would only be good for 7 years and then he will fall off big time.

He's still got time to win that bet, but not looking good for him.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Luka is 22. I used Scottie’s 22 year old season as a comparison point. Luka isn’t done getting better. He just now is scratching the surface.

And on top of that I used full career numbers for FTs and Rebounds.

I already said Pippen is the far superior defender. No one debates that. As an overall player, Luka will have a better career than Durant, Scottie, or 99% of the rest of the nba. He’s going to win multiple MVPs. Mark it down.

I’m not some 25 year old chump, either. I watched Pippen play all of the 90s.
Ok......

yea, @IUfanBorden is never gonna live that down. Almost as bad as my brother who made this bet with me back during the 2019/2020 season where he claimed that Doncic would only be good for 7 years and then he will fall off big time.

He's still got time to win that bet, but not looking good for him.
Live what down? Luka is very good. Top 5 in the league, if not the best---I never said different.

Luka is ridiculous as an offensive player. There are players that score as well, or pass as well, but the combination of doing everything on offense so well is a hard comparison. For example, Carmelo's career high assist number is 11. Luka has done that or more 62 times.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Luka is ridiculous as an offensive player. There are players that score as well, or pass as well, but the combination of doing everything on offense so well is a hard comparison. For example, Carmelo's career high assist number is 11. Luka has done that or more 62 times.

He might end up as the best offensive player ever. Seriously.

And his defense, slowly but surely, is improving. If he could lay off the pasta and beer he’d be even better but for now at least he’s figuring out how to get in better position to make defensive plays.

Dude is now averaging 34, 9 and 9 this season. Who's the last guy to put up those numbers?

I mean, he's a 6'7" guy that can shoot, pass and dribble---really good. 25 years ago, sure----In today's NBA? No that much. I like Luka. He's very good....But his skill set isn't unique for his size.
Lotsa guys throwing up 60/20/10s, amirite!?

• Haha
Reactions: winin11
He's a unicorn. Still not sure if he'll be the player many project but it's clear to see why people see it.
It’s hard for me to imagine him not ending up as one of the top 10 best players of all time if he doesn’t get injured (which is a distinct possibility due to his body type). The league has never seen a skill set like that. And it’s not like Darko, he’s proven it over a long period against good competition.

It’s hard for me to imagine him not ending up as one of the top 10 best players of all time if he doesn’t get injured (which is a distinct possibility due to his body type). The league has never seen a skill set like that. And it’s not like Darko, he’s proven it over a long period against good competition.

Thinking he's gonna be a top 10 player of all time is wild, man. He could be a fvcking stud and still not hit those highs. Not saying you're wrong either, but the only person I can think of who had that kind of hype and lived up to it was LeBron.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

He has looked brilliant so far, but I am still not buying into this hype due to his dubious durability. Let’s be honest, there ain’t such a player at his height who plays big minutes in NBA who ain’t injury prone. It may be interesting to bet over/under 3 years that this kid will need a major knee surgery. The more he jumps and dunks, the more likely he will become a man of glass.

serious? Off top of my head, Carmelo Anthony. Especially early in his career. Scottie Pippen... Some dude named Julius Erving....Clyde Drexler....Rick Berry.....

Right now you could even argue a guy like Kawhi Leonard: 27/7/6..

All very comparable....

Better question, more impressive "question", is what guys have the skill set he has, that was smaller and or bigger? That list is just as long, tbh...

Luka is elite.....But to act as if he's the first elite, 6'7" player is ridiculous.....
Not sure it makes a difference but I just wanted to point out the positions of the players mentioned.(at least per ESPN)
Scottie Pippen/Small Foward
Julius Erving/Not Listed/Probably should be SF
Clyde Drexler/Guard
Rick Berry/Shooting Guard
Carmelo Anthony/Power Forward
Kawhi Leonard/ Small Foward
Luca Doncic/Point Guard

I don't hate Luca, nor am I a fan of his. I just thought I'd point that out, because to me the term "Unicorn" describes a player based on his size + skill set at a position compared to other players at the same position.

Speaking of Unicorns, does anybody remember Jon Riek? Rivals had him at #1 overall Recuit at one point. I also remember reading an article that said he was basically a Point Guard with the body of Shaq.

Speaking of Unicorns, does anybody remember Jon Riek? Rivals had him at #1 overall Recuit at one point. I also remember reading an article that said he was basically a Point Guard with the body of Shaq.
Says he was at 1 time the #1 center on rivals and at one time a 5* on the other site. Nothing about #1 overall tho.

ADVERTISEMENT