ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue and UConn are starting to seperate themselves as the 2 teams to beat...

ABVolsFan92

Gold Member
May 31, 2012
I was not high on UConn to start but they are really hitting their stride. Both have plenty of guards that can shoot and two monsters at Center that are unguardable in the paint. Going to take a special effort to take either down in the tourney this year

I'm not going to concede anything to UConn but I will say theres about 10-12 teams, maybe more that have a legitimate shot in winning the title.
Yep. Our resumes have separated us from other teams but there are a bunch of teams that can compete with Purdue and UConn on any given day.

That’s where I’m at. I think those two are probably the best 2, but I don’t think they’re as far away from the field as some top teams have been in past years.

The 2015 UK team IMO was the last team that was a lock to win it all and we all know what happen with that.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Is everybody playing the same schedule?
Nope. Purdue had the #1 SOS and if you look at KenPom, Purdue is further away from #2 is in that metric than #2 is from #9.

Additionally, Purdue has 15 Q1/Q2 wins. No one else has more than 11.

Nope. Purdue had the #1 SOS and if you look at KenPom, Purdue is further away from #2 is in that metric than #2 is from #9.

Additionally, Purdue has 15 Q1/Q2 wins. No one else has more than 11.

If you’re going to use Kenpom, don’t forget that Houston’s #1.

I wouldn’t say any of the top teams have clearly separated from each other.

They are in a league of their own. Both will have less than 4 losses when tourney time rolls around most everyone else will have 7-8
Hate to say this about the B10, but PU having only 3-4 losses is more on how bad the league is, opposed to how good they are. And look, I think PU is really good---and certainly COULD win it all. But separating themselves?

Meh.....not really. This team damn near lost to NW twice...

Lots and lots of teams that could win it. IMO, no one has stood above the others. I mean shit, every team with a legit shot, has lost a "WTF" game.

I'll take the field.

Hate to say this about the B10, but PU having only 3-4 losses is more on how bad the league is, opposed to how good they are. And look, I think PU is really good---and certainly COULD win it all. But separating themselves?

Lots and lots of teams that could win it. IMO, no one has stood above the others. I mean shit, every team with a legit shot, has lost a "WTF" game.

I'll take the field.
I mean it took two insane shooting nights to result in Purdue’s only 2 losses this year. They also have the hardest strength of schedule and 7 wins against top 10 teams. Purdue’s two losses will be against likely tournament teams. The league isn’t great this year but Purdue proved how good they are before the conference started. Agree to disagree.

If you’re going to use Kenpom, don’t forget that Houston’s #1.

I wouldn’t say any of the top teams have clearly separated from each other.
Sorry, I thought I read you mention the schedule and I was responding to that point. I had already made my point about the OP’s position.

I'll take the field.
Northwestern got completetly bent over by the officials in its last game againat Purdue

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Sorry, I thought I read you mention the schedule and I was responding to that point. I had already made my point about the OP’s position.

UConn and Purdue might separate themselves record-wise, but I think that will have more to do with conference strength than anything else.

The computers love Houston, and Vegas has Houston right there with UConn/Purdue. KU's been a different team with Furphy starting. Right behind UConn/Purdue per Torvik since then. Wins over AP #1, 4, 5, 10, 23 and 25. I think Marquette's right there with the best too, among a few others.

UConn/Purdue deserve to be ranked 1/2, but I don't see how either has shown to be clearly above the rest.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
UConn and Purdue might separate themselves record-wise, but I think that will have more to do with conference strength than anything else.

The computers love Houston, and Vegas has Houston right there with UConn/Purdue. KU's been a different team with Furphy starting. Right behind UConn/Purdue per Torvik since then. Wins over AP #1, 4, 5, 10, 23 and 25. I think Marquette's right there with the best too, among a few others.

UConn/Purdue deserve to be ranked 1/2, but I don't see how either has shown to be clearly above the rest.
Kansas has to find a bench.

I mean it took two insane shooting nights to result in Purdue’s only 2 losses this year. They also have the hardest strength of schedule and 7 wins against top 10 teams. Purdue’s two losses will be against likely tournament teams. The league isn’t great this year but Purdue proved how good they are before the conference started. Agree to disagree.
Have you looked at KU’s losses? What would you call those? I call a team with a dude shooting 17% and another 22% from 3 on the year making 14 threes insane. Oh and that same team is a top 15 team that was playing at home. Their other recent loss the opponent made 11 3’s.

And that UCF loss everyone is talking about? That was the biggest home game in that programs history and they have proven to be legit with multiple big wins and 67 in the NET.

Plenty of teams are right there with these two.

Benches are overrated in college hoops barring injury. Self plays 5 guys 30 minutes and 1-2 others 10-15 a game max. Been that way for a while.

But yes, our bench does blow. Better than last year at least. Yuck.
Self has had far more depth on all his teams he got to a final 4 over this one

Benches are overrated in college hoops barring injury. Self plays 5 guys 30 minutes and 1-2 others 10-15 a game max. Been that way for a while.

But yes, our bench does blow. Better than last year at least. Yuck.
This. Especially once you get to the tourney, coaches want their best players on the court the majority of the minutes.

2011 and 2012 UK had a rotation of 6 and 7 guys that Cal rode the entire season. Ended pretty well for them.

Same with 2012 KU, Self rode his horses to the championship game. Depth is beyond overrated in March.

In this age of college basketball, especially with the transfer portal and NIL, I think the days of teams "separating themselves" is long gone. There are no more dominant teams. There is so much more parity, as the talent is now more spread out, b/c of the portal and NIL.

Specific to this year, yes Purdue and UConn should be ranked as the top 2. I have no issue with that. But they are not separating themselves, not in the slightest.

Heck, as already mentioned, put both of those teams in the Big 12 or SEC. They would have more losses, easily.

if you dont have the Cocks right there with Purdue and Uconn you just dont know or understand basketball. No team has posted back to back top 6 wins in 1 week this season and especially in the fashion the Cocks did absolutely shutting Kentucky out and making Tenessee look like a division 2 team in Rocky Top.

if you dont have the Cocks right there with Purdue and Uconn you just dont know or understand basketball. No team has posted back to back top 6 wins in 1 week this season and especially in the fashion the Cocks did absolutely shutting Kentucky out and making Tenessee look like a division 2 team in Rocky Top.
Well, good thing for SC is they can back it up once the tournament starts...somewhere SC has only been once in the past 20 yrs.

Also, I would not put much stock in beating UK at home. Florida won at UK, as did UNCW. TAMU beat UK at home as well. Not really much of an accomplishment.

Reactions: Deepelm

Sorry, but your little Cocks come up short. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Deepelm
With the longer TO's depth won't be an issue for some teams that don't have much of it. If you have 2 guys max that can give you good/quality minutes that should be enough.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Like I've said before, the 2012 bench was a 3 ppg scorer and a walk-on. Harping on depth is stupid when they've already proven they can beat top teams without it.
I will be back in march to remind you of this. Kansas is t going anywhere in march. Nice win over an overrated Houston squad though

I will be back in march to remind you of this. Kansas is t going anywhere in march. Nice win over an overrated Houston squad though

And overrated UConn, and overrated Tennessee, Kentucky, etc...

The last time you said this, KU won the title. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT