ADVERTISEMENT

Trigger warning. California.

LetsGoDuke301

Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Team
Duke
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-brown-signs-bail-reform-20180828-story.html

What do we think of this?

I like it. But might not like some of it. I get that the idea is to level the financial field with people who have been arrested and awaiting trial by not giving the judge the power to disproportionately set bail. Which in some cases are perceived to be discriminatory. But it doesn't keep them from discriminating when they decide who will be released on pre trial or sit in jail until their trial. So I don't know how many injustices it will prevent.

What I do like about it is it will put some of the scummy bail bondsmen out of a job.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-brown-signs-bail-reform-20180828-story.html

I like it. But might not like some of it. I get that the idea is to level the financial field with people who have been arrested and awaiting trial by not giving the judge the power to disproportionately set bail. Which in some cases are perceived to be discriminatory. But it doesn't keep them from discriminating when they decide who will be released on pre trial or sit in jail until their trial. So I don't know how many injustices it will prevent.

What I do like about it is it will put some of the scummy bail bondsmen out of a job.
I think it marginalizes bail bondsmen.

I don't know what to think.... You are treated Guilty until proven Not Guilty.
Well. This is what I do for a living. There is a reason for the process. When you get arrested, you go through risk assessments. Depending on what crime you (allegedly) committed and whether it is your first offense or if you have any other pending trials. You are almost always released on an unsecured bond. Which kind of hurts your narrative here.

Well. This is what I do for a living. There is a reason for the process. When you get arrested, you go through risk assessments. Depending on what crime you (allegedly) committed and whether it is your first offense or if you have any other pending trials. You are almost always released on an unsecured bond. Which kind of hurts your narrative here.

It was sarcasm lol... I have a good friend that just retried from the Sacramento's Sheriff dept. She had the ultimate say so in early releases. She told me some really interesting stories...

I don't have a problem with the new process. Now who decides really needs more than just a who, but those.

That’s the right track I think. Next need to ban plea bargains.

Next need to ban plea bargains.
All out? IDK. I am all for it when it involves admitted killers or rapists or any other violent criminals. Prosecutors typically hand out plea deals in order to pad their conviction rates without having to do any real work. Plea deals also hurt people who are being pushed by their court appointed attorneys to take them for the same reasons. To not have to do as much work. So on those terms, I agree.

Reactions: bkingUK and tw3301
All out? IDK. I am all for it when it involves admitted killers or rapists or any other violent criminals. Prosecutors typically hand out plea deals in order to pad their conviction rates without having to do any real work. Plea deals also hurt people who are being pushed by their court appointed attorneys to take them for the same reasons. To not have to do as much work. So on those terms, I agree.
Yep it's just to keep the numbers moving.

I'm a big fan of caneing people, ala the American kid in Singapore several years ago who was a vandal. Get it over with quick, less time for due process, bail, etc..

The crime rate among the BDSM group would go up though, so . . .

I read a cool article about New Jersey transforming their bond system. Basically they created an algorithm to determine your bail amount.

I’m in California right now. Good to know in case I get arrested for solicitation

If no one ever took a plea bargain the courts would be overloaded with the amount of cases. Defendants get scared, accept a plea bargain and that’s that, regardless of level of guilt of anything else. Almost seems like you are punished if you don’t accept. That’s my perception anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT