ADVERTISEMENT

This years Officiating.

Games should be officiated the way they were in the 80's. No blood, no foul! If you attack the rim, u better believe u will be put on ur azz! No flagrant, no intentional fouls! Take ur 2 FT and mover along. Today's game has gotten too soft!

Don’t know if ncaa keeps these stats, but it’s a fact that more Free Throws were shot per game in the 80s than now and more fouls were called per game than now.

Games should be officiated the way they were in the 80's. No blood, no foul! If you attack the rim, u better believe u will be put on ur azz! No flagrant, no intentional fouls! Take ur 2 FT and mover along. Today's game has gotten too soft!
This makes for some really ugly games. It is good for upsets though. This is essentially kind of what mid-major schools do in the 1st weekend of the tourney. They muddy up the middle and force bigger teams to shoot jump shots, and the refs for the most part swallow the whistle because they've got a lot of games to get through.

Don’t know if ncaa keeps these stats, but it’s a fact that more Free Throws were shot per game in the 80s than now and more fouls were called per game than now.

Where have you seen this, just interested. Not calling u liar, but just find it hard to believe.

I didn't realize screens were being called for the feet being too wide. What's acceptable?

Not that I am a huge fan of bashing officials....But your 94% seems a little misleading. I don't think it was intended just that you took the whole into context and not the calls that are the ones that sway games. Sitting on my recliner and can tell if a player walks just about every time, and I am sure that the refs on the court can too which is why it is called as often as it is. There are ton's of those calls that make up the lionshare of the "94%+" that you speak of. However it is the 10 or so calls a game that are toss up, or could sway the outcome that I think that refs do get wrong more times than not. Not on purpose, but just do to human error. Missing a 3 pointer when you can go back and review the tape is ridiculous.....So was missing the goal tending in the KU/UT game where the rim literally moved 6 inches and the net popped up. Also the basket interference call that was called on UT was terrible. I also think your whole well they called that foul but didn't call the other ones arguement is crap. If that is the case just have everyone start with four fouls since they are probably gonna commit that many anyway.
I don't have the time to nit pick this. But rest assured, I'll get around to it.

BTW---I love the comment of, "sitting on my recliner............." That is nice.

I don't have the time to nit pick this. But rest assured, I'll get around to it.

BTW---I love the comment of, "sitting on my recliner............." That is nice.
again....i am not bashing refs and I never complain that the refs cost my team a game. I think that they do a great job for how tough a job they have. I was merely calling out the 94% as the misleading number. To put it into context...if a surgeon performs 94 rhinoplasty's with no complications, but kills 6 patients while doing a knee replacement....he could technically say that he has a 94% success rate when it comes to surgery.....but how willing are you to let him perform a knee replacement on you? Data can be easily manipulated to fit an agenda.

again....i am not bashing refs and I never complain that the refs cost my team a game. I think that they do a great job for how tough a job they have. I was merely calling out the 94% as the misleading number. To put it into context...if a surgeon performs 94 rhinoplasty's with no complications, but kills 6 patients while doing a knee replacement....he could technically say that he has a 94% success rate when it comes to surgery.....but how willing are you to let him perform a knee replacement on you? Data can be easily manipulated to fit an agenda.
But, well, I'm not a surgeon. SO there is that. I'm not saving lives---I'm officiating a basketball game. The data isn't manipulated. Game by game is broken down. Missed calls...calls that you made that were wrong. Calls that you passed on. SO in any givem game, I can have an opportunity rate of 25; meaning 25 calls, possible calls. No calls, etc, etc...Most officials grade at roughly 94%. Then you are critiqued on your positioning...ball coverage area, mechanics, recognition of plays, etc, etc...Most grade 99%(there are no 100's). The two are totaled, and thats your grade. Trust me, the observers, eval guys don't manipulate shit. They are quite blunt, strict and very picky. You don't work a D1, Power 5 game, because someone manipulated some numbers. You just don't.

Comparing percentage rates of an official, umpire, etc, etc...to that of a doctor is asinine. its two totally different professions, with the different stakes. I mean its kinda like saying---Yeah, Rod Crew was a career ,300 hitter...But if he were a surgeon............

Just silly.

But, well, I'm not a surgeon. SO there is that. I'm not saving lives---I'm officiating a basketball game. The data isn't manipulated. Game by game is broken down. Missed calls...calls that you made that were wrong. Calls that you passed on. SO in any givem game, I can have an opportunity rate of 25; meaning 25 calls, possible calls. No calls, etc, etc...Most officials grade at roughly 94%. Then you are critiqued on your positioning...ball coverage area, mechanics, recognition of plays, etc, etc...Most grade 99%(there are no 100's). The two are totaled, and thats your grade. Trust me, the observers, eval guys don't manipulate shit. They are quite blunt, strict and very picky. You don't work a D1, Power 5 game, because someone manipulated some numbers. You just don't.

Comparing percentage rates of an official, umpire, etc, etc...to that of a doctor is asinine. its two totally different professions, with the different stakes. I mean its kinda like saying---Yeah, Rod Crew was a career ,300 hitter...But if he were a surgeon............

Just silly.
So by your own standards.......each official rates out at a 94 on roughly 25 calls....so each official makes 1-2 bad calls each game. Times that by 3 officials and you have up to 6 blown calls every game. that comes out to about right. Again your numbers not mine.

So by your own standards.......each official rates out at a 94 on roughly 25 calls....so each official makes 1-2 bad calls each game. Times that by 3 officials and you have up to 6 blown calls every game. that comes out to about right. Again your numbers not mine.
Exactly. I know you think you did something special here, but not really. 25 calls x's 3= 75 calls. 69 of those are correct. For a high level, D1 basketball game---umm, that's pretty damn good. Sorry brother, but there ain't in CBB that wouldn't take that. You tell any coach going in---there's going to be 75 calls tonight. 6 are going to be missed. He's like---Ok. Where do I sign.

Some night can be worse. Some can be better. Usually, somewhere in between.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
Exactly. I know you think you did something special here, but not really. 25 calls x's 3= 75 calls. 69 of those are correct. For a high level, D1 basketball game---umm, that's pretty damn good. Sorry brother, but there ain't in CBB that wouldn't take that. You tell any coach going in---there's going to be 75 calls tonight. 6 are going to be missed. He's like---Ok. Where do I sign.

Some night can be worse. Some can be better. Usually, somewhere in between.
I agree....which is why I don't ever argue about bad calls in a game. I appreciate your insight on officiating and have read every thread where you post about why the call was made that way. I am glad they are finally calling the illegal screens with feet greater than shoulder width....that shite has chapped my hide forever that they don't call that. Also I wasn't trying to be sneaky with the way I phrased the number of calls that are questionable in a game. I think i said 10 in my original post, you showed me where it is closer to 6...I'm ok with that.

I agree....which is why I don't ever argue about bad calls in a game. I appreciate your insight on officiating and have read every thread where you post about why the call was made that way. I am glad they are finally calling the illegal screens with feet greater than shoulder width....that shite has chapped my hide forever that they don't call that. Also I wasn't trying to be sneaky with the way I phrased the number of calls that are questionable in a game. I think i said 10 in my original post, you showed me where it is closer to 6...I'm ok with that.
Jayhawk, here is AN issue: Commentators not knowing the rules, how they should be applied, and or the spirit of the rule. Couple that with most fans being the same boat, and you get "the outrage of inconsistent, bad calls". And in some instances, that is the truth. But in most, it's simply a case of not knowing the rules; and how they apply to each situation.

Example(s):

1. Player A drives past Player B. Player C(secondary defender), slides over, and while inside the arc, makes minimal contact with PLayer A. WHistle blows: Foul.
Commentator---"Wow. There was very little contact. If that's how they are gonna call this, we are in for a long night."/ Outraged fans here this, and think--"Of course it was a bad call--Jay Bilas said so".

RULE: If there is ANY contact(unless he jumps and does so staright up) by a secondary defender, while inside of the arc--it is a foul

2. Player A drives to the basket. Player B stays with him. There is some contact, but nothing that really changes the play. Goes up, some minimal contact, but no call.
Commentator--"That was the same thing at the other end. Yet no whistle. If that was a fould on the other end, that has to be a foul"/ Fans: Officials are so damn inconsistent.

Ruling: No, it wasn't the same thing. In scenario 1, Player C(secondary defender) was in the arc, on his feet, making contact. By rule, that is a foul; or should be.

3. Player A drives, gets past Player B. Here comes Player C, again. And in the arc. Player A goes in for lay-up, Player C jumps straight up, inside the arc. There is contact; good contact.---But no foul.
Commentator: Player C was inisde the arc, and there was contact. That is a foul./ Fans: Refs suck.
Rule: NO, its not. A secondary defender, while inside the arc, can jump straight up. If he does so, the contact is deemed initiated by the offense. Play on.
4. Player A drives to the basket. Player B steps toward Player A, jumps STRAIGHT up, with contact. FOUL!!!
Commentator: He was straight up. No way that is a foul. Just a bad call. / Fans---Refs are so god damn inconsistent. They suck. Bilas said so.

Ruling: Yes he was straight up. BUT..........You cannot step into an offensive players path. So by taking a step forward, you have given up you legal guarding position. That is a foul.

I hear/see this^^^^^^ALL.THE.TIME...and it drives me crazy.

Wanna know why? Ignorance of the rules and how they are applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayhawkWriter
[
Jayhawk, here is AN issue: Commentators not knowing the rules, how they should be applied, and or the spirit of the rule. Couple that with most fans being the same boat, and you get "the outrage of inconsistent, bad calls". And in some instances, that is the truth. But in most, it's simply a case of not knowing the rules; and how they apply to each situation.

Example(s):

1. Player A drives past Player B. Player C(secondary defender), slides over, and while inside the arc, makes minimal contact with PLayer A. WHistle blows: Foul.
Commentator---"Wow. There was very little contact. If that's how they are gonna call this, we are in for a long night."/ Outraged fans here this, and think--"Of course it was a bad call--Jay Bilas said so".

RULE: If there is ANY contact(unless he jumps and does so staright up) by a secondary defender, while inside of the arc--it is a foul

2. Player A drives to the basket. Player B stays with him. There is some contact, but nothing that really changes the play. Goes up, some minimal contact, but no call.
Commentator--"That was the same thing at the other end. Yet no whistle. If that was a fould on the other end, that has to be a foul"/ Fans: Officials are so damn inconsistent.

Ruling: No, it wasn't the same thing. In scenario 1, Player C(secondary defender) was in the arc, on his feet, making contact. By rule, that is a foul; or should be.

3. Player A drives, gets past Player B. Here comes Player C, again. And in the arc. Player A goes in for lay-up, Player C jumps straight up, inside the arc. There is contact; good contact.---But no foul.
Commentator: Player C was inisde the arc, and there was contact. That is a foul./ Fans: Refs suck.
Rule: NO, its not. A secondary defender, while inside the arc, can jump straight up. If he does so, the contact is deemed initiated by the offense. Play on.
4. Player A drives to the basket. Player B steps toward Player A, jumps STRAIGHT up, with contact. FOUL!!!
Commentator: He was straight up. No way that is a foul. Just a bad call. / Fans---Refs are so god damn inconsistent. They suck. Bilas said so.

Ruling: Yes he was straight up. BUT..........You cannot step into an offensive players path. So by taking a step forward, you have given up you legal guarding position. That is a foul.

I hear/see this^^^^^^ALL.THE.TIME...and it drives me crazy.

Wanna know why? Ignorance of the rules and how they are applied.
Do you want to know who I think knows even less about officiating then I do? the stupid announcers. I am constantly saying the same things that you bolded to my wife when we watch a game together. It's probably why she stops watching meaningless games with me.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
[

Do you want to know who I think knows even less about officiating then I do? the stupid announcers. I am constantly saying the same things that you bolded to my wife when we watch a game together. It's probably why she stops watching meaningless games with me.
Officials are expected to be perfect from opening tip---And then expected to be better, as the game goes on.

Had a very obnoxious fan at courtside, last night. I'm standing like 2-feet from him, and he yells---"How could you miss that!!!!...I jog by and softly say(in my robot voice), " I AM NOT A ROBOT...:D

Officials are expected to be perfect from opening tip---And then expected to be better, as the game goes on.

Had a very obnoxious fan at courtside, last night. I'm standing like 2-feet from him, and he yells---"How could you miss that!!!!...I jog by and softly say(in my robot voice), " I AM NOT A ROBOT...:D
Can you make a video of your robot voice and upload it to YouTube? Then link it here?

TIA

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Can you make a video of your robot voice and upload it to YouTube? Then link it here?

TIA
giphy.gif

Best I could do...Winking

Reactions: schoonerwest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT