ADVERTISEMENT

This years Officiating.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Moving screens, hook and hold, very little charges, late calls.

Anyone else seeing the emphasis this year? Will it hold up during conference play, or is this just another season where the refs come out of the gate calling all this, and then regress as the season goes on?

Reactions: UCFhonors
Outside of baseball, sports in general are hard to watch because of the officiating.
NFL changes the catch rule every other week. They have no idea what is or isn’t a tackle. They want their QB wrapped in bubble wrap.
NBA really has no rules
College basketball is basically a free throw contest.
Thank God for good ol baseball

Yep. Seeing lots more hook and hold calls and more charges called.

I think they will lighten up but hope the won’t. UCF is a very disciplined team with lots of veterans.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

I don't like the defensive player in the offensive players cylinder that I've seen called this season. It allows the offensive player to wildly swing his elbows, and if he connects...it's the defenders fault and the defensive player is charged a foul. I hate this call...it's another hurdle for defensive players to overcome.

I don't like the defensive player in the offensive players cylinder that I've seen called this season. It allows the offensive player to wildly swing his elbows, and if he connects...it's the defenders fault and the defensive player is charged a foul. I hate this call...it's another hurdle for defensive players to overcome.
I don't think you understand the rule. It's actually a really good rule, that will cut down on those elbows you speak of.

Moving screens, hook and hold, very little charges, late calls.

Anyone else seeing the emphasis this year? Will it hold up during conference play, or is this just another season where the refs come out of the gate calling all this, and then regress as the season goes on?
I don't think its officials not calling it, as the season goes. But more of players/coaches adapting. Probably a little of both. Whenever there is a new rule, you will see officials be really aggressive calling it, early in the season.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Outside of baseball, sports in general are hard to watch because of the officiating.
NFL changes the catch rule every other week. They have no idea what is or isn’t a tackle. They want their QB wrapped in bubble wrap.
NBA really has no rules
College basketball is basically a free throw contest.
Thank God for good ol baseball
I cannot disagree with any of this. As far as CBB becoming a free throw contest....Well, some of that is on the coaches. Every summer coaches submit changes they'd like to see. RUle tweaks, etc, etc...Coaches were adamant in the "freedom of movement". Well, rules were implemented to allow that. And well, now you have what you have.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
I learned that this is the new 3 pt line. Louisville is the only team to be leading at the end of regulation and still go to overtime.
1bTNG21So6HG6w2GXRP2ir8WW6bPEs9PlMWCVQSjy5E.jpg

Refs were atrocious this game. All of the games I have watched there have been way too many bad calls for these guys to be NCAA D1 officials.

I learned that this is the new 3 pt line. Louisville is the only team to be leading at the end of regulation and still go to overtime.

Refs were atrocious this game. All of the games I have watched there have been way too many bad calls for these guys to be NCAA D1 officials.
Maybe you should apply?:D Also, what experience do you have to know who should, or shouldn't be a D1 official?

BTW, that call was awful. I do not know how that is missed.

Seen a lot of moving screens and hook and holds called. Also have seen a few screens called where the screener has his feet too wide

Maybe you should apply?:D Also, what experience do you have to know who should, or shouldn't be a D1 official?

BTW, that call was awful. I do not know how that is missed.

It doesn't take a genius to see that there are way more bad calls than usual this year so far. Some of these "rules" are too broad and are inconsistently called.

It doesn't take a genius to see that there are way more bad calls than usual this year so far. Some of these "rules" are too broad and are inconsistently called.
New rules. Huge contributor. BTW, most of these guys must grade out above 94% before getting a D1 schedule. Calls are missed. No doubt. But most of these guys are right 90+ percent of the time. As fans, we just remember the bad calls...Winking

New rules. Huge contributor. BTW, most of these guys must grade out above 94% before getting a D1 schedule. Calls are missed. No doubt. But most of these guys are right 90+ percent of the time. As fans, we just remember the bad calls...Winking
94%? Hmmm. Wonder how long it’ll be before we have AI officiate games so that we get that number up to 100% where it belongs.

Cliff notes?

Reactions: IUfanBorden

So you guys were up by 5 or 7 points with almost 9 minutes left? Seems like that one point was just one element of many that led to that game going to overtime. Not that it wasn't a bad deal you got, just that I would look to that one point as an excuse for blowing a lead.

Games should be officiated the way they were in the 80's. No blood, no foul! If you attack the rim, u better believe u will be put on ur azz! No flagrant, no intentional fouls! Take ur 2 FT and mover along. Today's game has gotten too soft!

So you guys were up by 5 or 7 points with almost 9 minutes left? Seems like that one point was just one element of many that led to that game going to overtime. Not that it wasn't a bad deal you got, just that I would look to that one point as an excuse for blowing a lead.

5 point lead is nothing against a team like Marquette who lights it up behind the 3pt line. I never said that was the only thing. But what I did say is true.

Games should be officiated the way they were in the 80's. No blood, no foul! If you attack the rim, u better believe u will be put on ur azz! No flagrant, no intentional fouls! Take ur 2 FT and mover along. Today's game has gotten too soft!
giphy.gif

Just a lot of inconsistency. UNC was called for 7 offensive fouls against Texas and they were called for none even though they pushed off a bunch. I'm sure UNC has gotten away with their share as well so it isn't a woe is me situation. I just wish they would call things both ways. Don't reward physical, aggressive teams for fouling because they are 'aggressive'. A foul is a literally a foul.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Add 7 missed point blank shots, but yea, lets blame a ref Sick

I watched 100 games so far this early season, I thing the refs are on point so far this year. They must have had training this past summer, every game seems to be called damn near perfect.
I hope it continues

Just a lot of inconsistency. UNC was called for 7 offensive fouls against Texas and they were called for none even though they pushed off a bunch. I'm sure UNC has gotten away with their share as well so it isn't a woe is me situation. I just wish they would call things both ways. Don't reward physical, aggressive teams for fouling because they are 'aggressive'. A foul is a literally a foul.
Agreed. Consistency is my one complaint. I know it's hard, I get it, but the refs had a large hand in how the KU/UT game played out a couple nights ago.
They called every touch foul. Williams (UT) and Udoku (KU) fouled out and some of their fouls were ridiculous.
Let the players play, let them get physical.
It was a free throw shooting contest.
Problem is, that is how SEC games are called. I'm jealous when I watch ACC and BIG12 games. There is a nice flow to ACC and BIG12 games, SEC games can be so hard to watch because they're whistle fests.
It gets worse when it's a jacked up crowd. The refs seem to buy into the crowd hype and seem to take great pride when calling fouls like they're trying to play up to the fans.
It's a physical game, let the kids play. Nobody wants to see guys like Williams and Udoku on the bench. Those guys rarely foul out, they're veteran players, but they couldn't overcome the touch fouls that were being called.

Agreed. Consistency is my one complaint. I know it's hard, I get it, but the refs had a large hand in how the KU/UT game played out a couple nights ago.
They called every touch foul. Williams (UT) and Udoku (KU) fouled out and some of their fouls were ridiculous.
Let the players play, let them get physical.
It was a free throw shooting contest.
Problem is, that is how SEC games are called. I'm jealous when I watch ACC and BIG12 games. There is a nice flow to ACC and BIG12 games, SEC games can be so hard to watch because they're whistle fests.
It gets worse when it's a jacked up crowd. The refs seem to buy into the crowd hype and seem to take great pride when calling fouls like they're trying to play up to the fans.
It's a physical game, let the kids play. Nobody wants to see guys like Williams and Udoku on the bench. Those guys rarely foul out, they're veteran players, but they couldn't overcome the touch fouls that were being called.
It all evens out. Of the five fouls committed, probably not all 5 were fouls. BUT...I am pretty sure throughout the course of the game, they committed five fouls.Winking

It all evens out. Of the five fouls committed, probably not all 5 were fouls. BUT...I am pretty sure throughout the course of the game, they committed five fouls.Winking

You think it is reasonable for one team to get 7 offensive fouls and the other team, who was consistently pushing off, to get 0? I agree with your sentiment here as I think players get away with things all the time. However, sometimes the inconsistency is maddening.

You think it is reasonable for one team to get 7 offensive fouls and the other team, who was consistently pushing off, to get 0? I agree with your sentiment here as I think players get away with things all the time. However, sometimes the inconsistency is maddening.
TBH, I really don't know. I mean, some fans feel if they are getting called for it, then the other team has to be doing it(as well). SOmetimes that is the case. Sometimes, it's not. Just depends on how the contact is viewed. As I have said before, not all contact is the same, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. I just think fans see the game differently. I did. But when I got into officiating, I was like---"Ohhhhhh.....". Plays may seem the same. But a lot times, via the rule, they really aren't. IDK...it's hard to explain, TBH. I mean unless you have worked CBB games, been to clinincs, seminars, rule interp meetings, etc, etc...You really wouldn't understand.
I agree the officiating can be, and sometimes often is, inconsistent. But until the NCAA views officials as employee's, and decides to hire them(us--still have my license),it will remain that way.

TBH, I really don't know. I mean, some fans feel if they are getting called for it, then the other team has to be doing it(as well). SOmetimes that is the case. Sometimes, it's not. Just depends on how the contact is viewed. As I have said before, not all contact is the same, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. I just think fans see the game differently. I did. But when I got into officiating, I was like---"Ohhhhhh.....". Plays may seem the same. But a lot times, via the rule, they really aren't. IDK...it's hard to explain, TBH. I mean unless you have worked CBB games, been to clinincs, seminars, rule interp meetings, etc, etc...You really wouldn't understand.
I agree the officiating can be, and sometimes often is, inconsistent. But until the NCAA views officials as employee's, and decides to hire them(us--still have my license),it will remain that way.
So you guys are contracted out for each game? Do they give you mileage, food and lodging per diems? Who hires you for the games? Is it the school, conference, NCAA? Just curious.

So you guys are contracted out for each game? Do they give you mileage, food and lodging per diems? Who hires you for the games? Is it the school, conference, NCAA? Just curious.
Hired as independent contractors, via conference assigners, your association, head of officials, etc...Schools nor the NCAA have anything to do with the hiring of officials; though the NCAA does do so with the NCAAT. We get a per diem. The amount is determined by the conference. Hotel is paid for. You pay your own travel; though at a discount. Most schools have a hospitality room for game officials. In some instances, food is waiting on you after the game.

Here's best way I can explain; Or maybe that was enough?

The officials association I belong to has two assigners. I am under contract with them. They assigned NAIA games for the MSC and Rivers City COnference. D3 they assign for the HCAC. D2 they assign for the GLVC. D1 assign for the ACC, SEC and OVC, for OOC games only. Atlantic-Sun, SunBelt and Horizon. I can work for another association, and most do. BUT....I cannot give back a game from MY(main) association, to take a game from another. And TBH, that isn't an issue. Once I am assigned a game, it goes on Arbiter,and that date is blocked out. So if an assigner wants to hire me, he will first check my Arbiter schedule. If i am open, he will then offer me the game.

Same thing for baseball. It can be a little different than this, but for the most part, this is how officials are assigned.

Edit: To clear up some of the confusion. Once you pass your exam and pay your dues, you are eligible to be hired. You then join an association. The benefits of doing this, is game assignments. If you do not belong to an association, odds are you will not get assigned. MOF, you will not. BUT...once you have paid your NCAA fees, association fees, you are good to go. And you can join other associations; FOr example, aside from my home association, I am also a part of the CBOA; CBOA assigns mostly D2/3, JR College. If you are a D1 official, its not adamant that you join.

All in all, its pretty confusing, really...

Last edited:
Reactions: schoonerwest
Not that I am a huge fan of bashing officials....But your 94% seems a little misleading. I don't think it was intended just that you took the whole into context and not the calls that are the ones that sway games. Sitting on my recliner and can tell if a player walks just about every time, and I am sure that the refs on the court can too which is why it is called as often as it is. There are ton's of those calls that make up the lionshare of the "94%+" that you speak of. However it is the 10 or so calls a game that are toss up, or could sway the outcome that I think that refs do get wrong more times than not. Not on purpose, but just do to human error. Missing a 3 pointer when you can go back and review the tape is ridiculous.....So was missing the goal tending in the KU/UT game where the rim literally moved 6 inches and the net popped up. Also the basket interference call that was called on UT was terrible. I also think your whole well they called that foul but didn't call the other ones arguement is crap. If that is the case just have everyone start with four fouls since they are probably gonna commit that many anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT