ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Trivia

Ohio State is not correct. They went to three straight from 60-62, however.

Ohio State is not correct. They went to three straight from 60-62, however.

if it's not OSU then it might be Cincy since they seemed to be in the every year during that time as well.

special shout out to my dad's high school classmate and friend George Wilson, a star player at Cincy during that time.

Reactions: dukedevilz
if it's not OSU then it might be Cincy since they seemed to be in the every year during that time as well.

special shout out to my dad's high school classmate and friend George Wilson, a star player at Cincy during that time.

Cincinnati is the correct answer. You're up, @WeAreDePaul!

Gonna do something a little different here. Amongst the P6 conferences (Big10, ACC, BigEast, SEC, Big12, PAC12) identify the universities that were previously associated with the following mascots/nicknames.

Methodists:
Owls:
Blue and White (two teams):
Rough Riders:
Flood:
Spirit:
Old Liners:
Matadors:
Christians:
Indians:

Gonna do something a little different here. Amongst the P6 conferences (Big10, ACC, BigEast, SEC, Big12, PAC12) identify the universities that were previously associated with the following mascots/nicknames.

Methodists:
Owls:
Blue and White (two teams):
Rough Riders:
Flood:
Spirit:
Old Liners:
Matadors:
Christians:
Indians:
Methodists: Vanderbilt
Owls: California
Blue and White (two teams): Penn State and Duke
Rough Riders: Texas Tech
Flood: Iowa
Spirit: Missouri
Old Liners: North Carolina
Matadors: Arizona
Christians: Baylor
Indians: Ohio State

Methodists: Vanderbilt
Owls: California
Blue and White (two teams): Penn State and Duke
Rough Riders: Texas Tech
Flood: Iowa
Spirit: Missouri
Old Liners: North Carolina
Matadors: Arizona
Christians: Baylor
Indians: Ohio State

The bolded were correct.

This is a difficult question.

Honestly, the only ones I can add to are the Stanford Cardinals and the Trinity College (Duke) Methodists.

we can move on to the next one, I don't want to be the guy who broke the trivia thread with a really stupid question. Say the word and I'll reveal the answers.

Methodists: USC
Owls: Arizona State
Blue and White (two teams): Duke and Kentucky
Rough Riders: Oklahoma
Flood: Ole Miss
Spirit: Seton Hall
Old Liners: Maryland
Matadors: Texas Tech
Christians: Butler
Indians: Stanford

Lol ole miss should go back to being the flood, let rebels go, it’s 2020. Although I’m sure they probably have fans that are ole miss fans solely bc they are the rebels, which said fans would relate to the confederacy. Not sure that’s the kinda fans u wanna draw to ur program but hey “confederate sympathizers buy tee shirts too”

Lol ole miss should go back to being the flood, let rebels go, it’s 2020. Although I’m sure they probably have fans that are ole miss fans solely bc they are the rebels, which said fans would relate to the confederacy. Not sure that’s the kinda fans u wanna draw to ur program but hey “confederate sympathizers buy tee shirts too”

They changed the name because people were offended by Flood because there was some massive flood in the area like 100 years ago. So they went with Rebels instead cause how could that ever be controversial right?

They changed the name because people were offended by Flood because there was some massive flood in the area like 100 years ago. So they went with Rebels instead cause how could that ever be controversial right?
They've been the Rebels since 1936, times were a little different then.

makes sense

Not all the way true.
They changed it because of the Flood. Never caught on.
What most called them was the Red & Blue.

They held another vote..
The Rebels was actually the most political correct name. There were some others.
Mississippi at that time thought they had won the Civil War and were full blown into historical negationism

https://m.oxfordeagle.com/2015/10/25/before-we-were-the-ole-miss-rebels/

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
My favorite mascot change comes from Furman University. They used to be called the Christian Knights before switching to the Paladins.

Furman
University
Christian
Knights

I got this, Casey at the bat again!

In 1941 the Final Four consisted of the Wisconsin BADGERS, the Washington State COUGARS, the Arkansas RAZORBACKS and the Pitt PANTHERS.

Since that date there has only been one final four where all four teams' mascots were represented by non-human mammals. Name the year and the teams?

In 1941 the Final Four consisted of the Wisconsin BADGERS, the Washington State COUGARS, the Arkansas RAZORBACKS and the Pitt PANTHERS.

Since that date there has only been one final four where all four teams' mascots were represented by non-human mammals. Name the year and the teams?
Well I thought I had it with 2014 but Gators aren't mammals.

So any Final Four with Kansas, Ohio State, Michigan State, Florida, Duke, North Carolina and UCLA is eliminated. That should be a bunch of them.

I don’t think it’s any year since 1986 actually either off the top of my head.

Final fours before then really start to get tough for me to recall though. It’s probably going to be some season with Kentucky.

2011 was Wildcats, Huskies, Bulldogs, and Rams.

Technically, we could say 2017 too, since the UNC mascot is a ram.

Well I thought I had it with 2014 but Gators aren't mammals.

So any Final Four with Kansas, Ohio State, Michigan State, Florida, Duke, North Carolina and UCLA is eliminated. That should be a bunch of them.

Why would UCLA be eliminated? Another notable team that can be added to that long list is Indiana.

I have effectively eliminated every Final Four from 1975 to present day. 1983 was close (and 2014), but of course the Louisville Cardinals wouldn't be a mammal.

Might need a group effort to answer this question correctly. Here are the only possible years I have left. I've filled in the schools that I know of.

1974- UCLA, NC State
1973- UCLA, Memphis
1965- UCLA
1958- Kentucky
1951- Kentucky
1950- CCNY (nickname?), NC State
1949- Kentucky
1948- Kentucky

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT