ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Trivia

Okay, I looked. Name sounds vaguely familiar. But no way I would ever gotten the answer, even with multiple clues. Great question.

Interesting. He’s a top 25 name of the sport to me but that’s probably because of the college.

Yep. Don't know too many players from that decade. Outside of Groza and Beard, the only other player I could probably name off the top of my head would be Mikan. I was aware of that school winning two titles, though.

Maybe @Bert Higginbotha has the answer to this question?

Ok this pick seems to be one that nobody is gonna get and it killed the thread.

The answer is Bob Kurland. He played for Oklahoma A&M when they won the 1945 and 1946 titles. 3 time All-American who was the reason defensive goaltending became a rule. One of the first true 7’0 players who blocked shots and dunked the ball. After college he decided to play for the Phillips Oilers on the AAU circuit where they won 3 national titles. He also worked for Phillips Petroleum until he retired.

He might be one of the bigger what if’s in basketball history had he gone to the NBA. There’s little doubt in my mind that he would have excelled there so he could easily be brought up on top 50 all time lists. As it is now, he’s a 3 time All-American and 2 time National Player of the Year with 2 NCAA tournament MOP awards. That’s a top 10 resume in CBB history (change my mind).

And lastly, the thing that might be the most important stat of all regarding Bob Kurland, he was a better player than George Mikan and yer stoopid if you disagree. @WeAreDePaul

Ok this pick seems to be one that nobody is gonna get and it killed the thread.

The answer is Bob Kurland. He played for Oklahoma A&M when they won the 1945 and 1946 titles. 3 time All-American who was the reason defensive goaltending became a rule. One of the first true 7’0 players who blocked shots and dunked the ball. After college he decided to play for the Phillips Oilers on the AAU circuit where they won 3 national titles. He also worked for Phillips Petroleum until he retired.

He might be one of the bigger what if’s in basketball history had he gone to the NBA. There’s little doubt in my mind that he would have excelled there so he could easily be brought up on top 50 all time lists. As it is now, he’s a 3 time All-American and 2 time National Player of the Year with 2 NCAA tournament MOP awards. That’s a top 10 resume in CBB history (change my mind).

And lastly, the thing that might be the most important stat of all regarding Bob Kurland, he was a better player than George Mikan and yer stoopid if you disagree. @WeAreDePaul
I knew he was a whitey!

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
What player has won the most NCAA Tournament games in the 21st century?

@JimboBBN here's a modern day question that you might be able to answer.

I’m guessing it’s Gotta be a nova player who was on both championship teams, im drawing a blank tho. Was jalen Brunson on both?

If not I’ll guess Darius Miller.

If not I’ll quit guessing.

That’s tough. I tried to do the math on what team played the most games in any given 4 year stretch. I only know KU’s and UK’s off the top of my head and KU played more. Kansas played 18 tournament games from 2001 - 2004. Villanova is probably at 18 as well with 2 six game tournaments but were the others both 2nd round losses? Florida might have more than 18 as well.

I think this is wrong but I’ll go with Bryant Nash and 18 games.

That’s tough. I tried to do the math on what team played the most games in any given 4 year stretch. I only know KU’s and UK’s off the top of my head and KU played more. Kansas played 18 tournament games from 2001 - 2004. Villanova is probably at 18 as well with 2 six game tournaments but were the others both 2nd round losses? Florida might have more than 18 as well.

I think this is wrong but I’ll go with Bryant Nash and 18 games.
It's probably some obscure 5th year walk-on that never actually played. Laughing

It's probably some obscure 5th year walk-on that never actually played. Laughing
It might be somebody obscure. It certainly has to be a guy who played all 4 years or even 5 if the rules allowed for it.

What was Michigan State’s best 4 year run? I know they have 11 games played between 2000 and 2001 but they definitely didn’t make a Final Four in 2002 or 2003.

How many did Hansbrough play in anyways?

I know the results of 2008 and 2009 but not 2006 and 2007.

What player has won the most NCAA Tournament games in the 21st century?

@JimboBBN here's a modern day question that you might be able to answer.

probably some bum at Kentucky who wasn't good enough to go pro. Who was that little guard they had recently for about 7 years?

Briscoe didn’t stay all four years iirc. The only two UK players I can think of that played 4 years under cal at UK are Darius Miller (part of 2012 title team, a senior that year iirc, FF in 2010) dont remember what else though. But that would be 12 for Miller in two seasons, the championship in 2012 and then losing in the championship to UConn in 2010. Plus I don’t think he was on the 2013 nit squad, which means he should have been on the roster in 09 when uk made the EE.

And then Derek Willis, but I don’t really remember the years he played, but I’d have to think Miller played in more tourney games.

are we talking NcaaT games in which they were on the roster, like redshirts, or actual games they played in?

But im assuming it’s not Darius Miller or whoever posed the question would have said it.

Last edited:
Who were the guards on Florida’s bk to bk natty teams. I don’t think brewer, Noah, or Horford stayed a UF all 4 years, but the two guards did I’m pretty sure. Lee Humphrey maybe was the shooters name?? Even then I don’t remember what UF did in their two years they didn’t win it all.

Last edited:
Who were the guards on Florida’s bk to bk natty teams. I don’t think brewer, Noah, or Horford stayed a UF all 4 years, but the two guards did I’m pretty sure. Lee Humphrey maybe was the shooters name?? Even then I don’t remember what UF did in their two years they didn’t win it all.
The 2 years prior to the titles they went out in the 1st and 2nd round and the 2 years after they were in the NIT.

He was at UK for a whole 2 years. That bum also has a triple double on his resume.

Yea I remember wishing we had landed Briscoe badly when he was a recruit. He had been blowing up on the aau circuits his senior year, lead his AAU team to the peach jam title or something like that, I thought he was gonna be a total stud, Which he turned out to be a decent player, he just couldn’t shoot worth a dime, and never really developed or made much improvement on his outside shooting.

Yea I remember wishing we had landed Briscoe badly when he was a recruit. He had been blowing up on the aau circuits his senior year, lead his AAU team to the peach jam title or something like that, I thought he was gonna be a total stud, Which he turned out to be a decent player, he just couldn’t shoot worth a dime, and never really developed or made much improvement on his outside shooting.
He got a lot of shit, most of it undeserved. The only thing he couldn't do was shoot a jumper. There was not a better finishing guard around the rim, he defended pretty well, good passer, and great rebounder.

The 2 years prior to the titles they went out in the 1st and 2nd round and the 2 years after they were in the NIT.

That eliminates anyone from UF then imo.

And yea I totally forgot about Hawkins, he made some huge shots against us one year. I’d still have to say Miller played in more tourney games. Have we decided Miller isn’t the correct answer, bc if I have my timeframe of his career right he played in at least 16 games not even counting 2011 bc I don’t remember how far UK made it that year.

Kentucky 2011 - 2014 = 17 games
Kentucky 2012 - 2015 = 17 games

2011 = 5
2012 = 6
2013 = 0
2014 = 6
2015 = 5

It can’t be any of those guys on those teams.

Kansas played 18 in 4 seasons and had guys play in all 18 games.

2001 - 3
2002 - 5
2003 - 6
2004 - 4

Poythress was there for 4 years too wasn't he?

Yea I believe so, good catch. I know he was on the 2014 runner up and 2015 ff team but I also think he was on the 2013 nit team, but I might be incorrect on that. The player turnover at UK makes it difficult to remember which years certain players played. It’s almost easier to remember what years the OaDs played than all the years the 4 year guys stayed.

Yep. Don't know too many players from that decade. Outside of Groza and Beard, the only other player I could probably name off the top of my head would be Mikan. I was aware of that school winning two titles, though.

Maybe @Bert Higginbotha has the answer to this question?
I don't/didn't.

But I met and talked to both Groza and Beard. In fact Ralph's brother worked at a railroad property and I got to know him through his brother.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Villanova

2016 - 6
2017 - 2
2018 - 6
2019 - ???

Michigan State

2000 - 6
2001 - 5
2002 - ???
2003 - ???

Kentucky 2011 - 2014 = 17 games
Kentucky 2012 - 2015 = 17 games

2011 = 5
2012 = 6
2013 = 0
2014 = 6
2015 = 5

It can’t be any of those guys on those teams.

Kansas played 18 in 4 seasons and had guys play in all 18 games.

2001 - 3
2002 - 5
2003 - 6
2004 - 4

what about UK 09-12

09- 4
10-6
11-?
12-6

I know UK hasn’t been bounced in the first round under cal so they had to play at least 2 in 2011, if 3 that would be 19. But I’m not sure they had a player on the roster all 4 of those years, but i wanna say Darius Miller was, but I could definitely be wrong without fact checking.

what about UK 09-12

09- 4
10-6
11-?
12-6

I know UK hasn’t been bounced in the first round under cal so they had to play at least 2 in 2011, if 3 that would be 19. But I’m not sure they had a player on the roster all 4 of those years, but i wanna say Darius Miller was, but I could definitely be wrong without fact checking.
?????

2009 - 0 (right?)
2010 - 4
2011 - 5
2012 - 6

ADVERTISEMENT