ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Season Thread

This was my first time seeing Kentucky play. Were they missing any starters?
We had one player out but we just didn’t play like we usually do. Take that and combine it with our first road conference game with a hostile crowd and we was lucky to get the win. Good game UF fans and best of luck the rest of the way.

Lots of great teaching moments for Cal to focus on after that game. It’s nice to learn from your mistakes and actually get the win.

UK was way out of sorts today, but even with as young as UK is, they still somehow won.

Credit to Cal for the job he did today, but damn, I really wish he would play Shep more and Edwards less.

Now, just need the Gators to win out at home from here on out. 😁

Did Sheppard even foul Condon in the closing seconds? Maybe he got some body, but it looked like a relatively clean block.
Honestly, I don’t know why they kept fouling anyway. 2 times down the court leading up to that play.

Still, Sheppard has ice water in his veins. It’s such a boost to have an almost automatic player or two from the line in crunch time.

Big win for them.

They had a stretch there in the first half where they were bombing threes, but they only ended up 29% for the game (below their season avg).
I believe they hit more than they usually do. Yeah, percentage wise, not good, but they hit a bunch in the first half.

If you're going to beat UK, you have to hit threes and do it all game, Florida couldn't maintain the fire they had in the 1st half.

Even though it was a boneheaded play and shouldn’t have happened I still don’t think Shep fouled the UF player there at the end. I didn’t see no body contact and I’ll admit my sight isn’t what it use to be but it looked like he got all ball. Am I the only one seeing that?

Reactions: cdbearde
Auburn is rolling the Hogs at Bud Walton. Where you at @AuHoosier420 ? Tigers look good.
i have been telling kentucly and tennessee fans all season that Auburn is goijg to a have a huge say in the SEC this year. This is thr deepest team bruce has had at auburn. No superstar but we dont have a drop off between our first 5 and second 5. top 20 in offense and defense in the net. Auburn is #5 now in the kenpom rankings

Reactions: olsonab
i have been telling kentucly and tennessee fans all season that Auburn is goijg to a have a huge say in the SEC this year. This is thr deepest team bruce has had at auburn. No superstar but we dont have a drop off between our first 5 and second 5. top 20 in offense and defense in the net. Auburn is #5 now in the kenpom rankings

You guys balled out. Wish we got you guys at home this year. Think we just have Auburn on the road unfortunately.

yep. we only play tennessee once also. That one is in knoxville

Looks like UK is just going to have to beat that ass to win the SEC :)

Yalls schedule isn't too bad. I see 4 losses at worst for yall unless you just shit the bed one game, which can happen to anybody. 4 losses probably wins the league honestly.

It should probably be UK, Auburn, or UT that wins the conference. If anyone else wins it I'll be suprised.

Reactions: nrmorgan2001
Looks like UK is just going to have to beat that ass to win the SEC :)

Yalls schedule isn't too bad. I see 4 losses at worst for yall unless you just shit the bed one game, which can happen to anybody. 4 losses probably wins the league honestly.

It should probably be UK, Auburn, or UT that wins the conference. If anyone else wins it I'll be suprised.
I think 15-3 is what it will take to win SEC. 2 years ago we won it with that. In 2018 we won it going 13-5 however

Seems like a three team race for sure. Not counting out Ole Miss just yet, either.

The SEC is pretty strong this year.

Cocks with a nice, 6 point win over Miss State today to get to 13-1, 1-0.

Miss State is the biggest/thickest pound for pound basketball team I’ve ever seen. Even their guards are thick & muscular.
It’s been my experience that tells me, girth is preferred.

Lots of great teaching moments for Cal to focus on after that game. It’s nice to learn from your mistakes and actually get the win.

UK was way out of sorts today, but even with as young as UK is, they still somehow won.

Credit to Cal for the job he did today, but damn, I really wish he would play Shep more and Edwards less.

Now, just need the Gators to win out at home from here on out. 😁
Edwards only played 19 min. Only played 13 against UNC...not like Cal has been playing him outrageous minutes.

I love Reed as much as the next UK fan does, but he wasn't that great today, and still played 24 min. Was great having him down the stretch to knock home clutch free throws, but he was ineffective for large amounts of the game.

Edwards only played 19 min. Only played 13 against UNC...not like Cal has been playing him outrageous minutes.

I love Reed as much as the next UK fan does, but he wasn't that great today, and still played 24 min. Was great having him down the stretch to knock home clutch free throws, but he was ineffective for large amounts of the game.
Really, nobody besides Wagner and Mitchell played great today. Reed and Antonio missed front ends, missed wide open shots and Dillingham was a mess.

My comment bout Edwards wasn’t just about today. If that kid didn't have 5 stars next to his name, he would be getting the same minutes as Burks. He is not good at any aspect of the game and Reed is elite at all aspects of the game.

I like Reed off the bench and I get the need to get Edwards going, but in my opinion, Reed should get 30mpg. If he's important enough to close games, he's important enough to play 30 minutes.

Reactions: treyforuk
They had a stretch there in the first half where they were bombing threes, but they only ended up 29% for the game (below their season avg).
Yeah but UK was just clogging the paint and leaving guys wide open in the first half. Florida isn't a great outside shooting team overall, but they can hit open 3s. They have guys that can shoot believe it or not (not consistently)
This year they are definitely more of a paint scoring team, but to UK's credit they focused on shutting that down 1st half especially. It's give and take what you decide to give opposing offenses, and the shooting eventually evened out in the end. They missed some wide open 3s in the second half that could have really made it difficult for UK to come back. It's a make miss game 🤷‍♂️

Even though it was a boneheaded play and shouldn’t have happened I still don’t think Shep fouled the UF player there at the end. I didn’t see no body contact and I’ll admit my sight isn’t what it use to be but it looked like he got all ball. Am I the only one seeing that?
He got ball and hand, but IMO bc it was coming in from the side, the contact on the hand and ball seemed to be simultaneous. Don't think it was really a bad call, but shouldn't have even contested that strongly anyways. Was going to be a prayer and irrelevant.

He got ball and hand, but IMO bc it was coming in from the side, the contact on the hand and ball seemed to be simultaneous. Don't think it was really a bad call, but shouldn't have even contested that strongly anyways. Was going to be a prayer and irrelevant.
Reed Sheppard needs to learn that even if it was a clean block (it was), it's going to be called a foul every time, because it looks like a foul. In that situation, you just let him shoot the ball.

The thing that drives me crazy, is the inconsistency with SEC refs. One second, they let teams beat the shit out of each other, the next second, they calll every finger touch.

They let them play in the first half, but every touch was called in the 2nd half. It was a free throw shooting contest at the 9 minute mark.

The hand is considered "part of the ball" when it is in contact with the ball, but I don't even think he made hand contact. Looked like he got the ball from the front. Granted, I didn't zoom in or play it in slow mo, frame by frame or anything.

Reactions: cdbearde
Tennessee looks good vs Ole Miss. Ole Miss has some talent and size, but it just wasn't their night.

Tennessee looks good vs Ole Miss. Ole Miss has some talent and size, but it just wasn't their night.
They had no business being in the top 25 to begin with. They were only 13-0 because their non-con SOS is around 300. Memphis is the only team they played with a pulse.

ADVERTISEMENT