ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday, Dec 11th Games

Serious answer, I'm not sure there's a right person atm. My first call would be Jay Wright. Make him say no to 8m or whatever. I'd think about calling Self assuming the NCAA doesn't go in dry on him.

There aren't many standout young coaches. I think Nate Oats might be that guy, but you need more than a year for proof.

So a quick guess for me (besides picking myself)

1. Wright
2. Self
3. Oats
4. Beard (barf)
5. ???

A good buddy of mine is a gigantic cat fan. When they were looking to hire in 2009 I said “they should call Jay Wright”. Hard to argue that they went the wrong way with Cal with all the success they’ve had (including a title and a handful of final 4s), but I thought Wright could have been a great hire back even back then.

2-19 Cal can't shoot the ball for them lol But there was so much hype about our depth. Where the hell did that go? Other than Mintz, the 3 others that played for a combined total of 16 min. Wheeler was ineffective. 2 players in double figures. If this team can't run, and give ND credit for preventing that, there could be a lot these type of games. Allen and Ware got 0 minutes. Go figure. Sometimes Cal's bar for players earning their time is too high. Use what you got Cal, figure it out as he would tell his players.
Not trolling y'all but is this where the "get 'em drafted" comes into it, where guys are getting burn to stat pad when they and your team are better off with them sitting and learning, letting others contribute?

Coach Hopgood would for sure have played the local shooter yesterday, I'd play him every single game, he is a weapon, or can be one. When you are 10% from 3 it is hard to justify not giving that kid some run. He didn't even get 1 minute. I know he's been cold so far but it's a small sample really.

Not trolling y'all but is this where the "get 'em drafted" comes into it, where guys are getting burn to stat pad when they and your team are better off with them sitting and learning, letting others contribute?

Coach Hopgood would for sure have played the local shooter yesterday, I'd play him every single game, he is a weapon, or can be one. When you are 10% from 3 it is hard to justify not giving that kid some run. He didn't even get 1 minute. I know he's been cold so far but it's a small sample really.
I agree with you. But Collins is going to get drafted and he played 3 minutes lol. Allen should have been given a chance. Ware plays his ass off. Cal always talks about effort. Ware does play hard. I don't know if Hopkins back is still bothering him, but played 5 min. Cal needs to learn how to leverage his bench, instead of being stubborn about earning playing time. Build their damn confidence.

Reactions: Villian07
HC's are just real stubborn. They go into a game with their idea of how it's gonna go down. It's tough for them to deviate, because then that is an indirect or direct way of admitting they were wrong. Ain't nobody got time for that! They want to win how they want to win. I've never really understood that, but it is a thing.

Kinda reminds me of our team in terms of depth. I don’t understand why we aren’t pressing full court and just keeping them fresh with substitutions. Makes no sense to me.

Kentucky will beat us and I have zero doubt about that.
Our first home game. I don't count the cupcakes. You will be our super bowl for sure this year lol. Collins and Hopkins are probably the 2 most talented players on the team. Definitely the most athletic. Collins is thin but has some skills. He's not a center. Cal trying to play him there, is setting him up for failure.

You guys have some players. I think there's probably too many distractions. And Mack is probably feeling pressure like he's never had to deal with. Some guys thrive under it, some don't.

Just about every year we have a different team. We never really know how we're going to be until about Feb lol
I don't mind the cupcakes but 7 in a row is way too much. Play a couple, then a div 1, then 2 more cupcakes.

And we evidently were ND's super bowl lol.

Kinda reminds me of our team in terms of depth. I don’t understand why we aren’t pressing full court and just keeping them fresh with substitutions. Makes no sense to me.

Kentucky will beat us and I have zero doubt about that.
I think Louisville plays too many guys. They should probably play 8 maybe a 9th and just extend the 8's minutes so they can find some kind of rhythm.

The biggest issue is they don't have any high end talent when they go to scoring droughts they got nowhere to go with it.

West and Davis are solid role players that would be great reserves, but they are asked to start and do things they can't do. Team has 2 guys that know how to play winning ball, Williams and Cross. West would be a 3rd but he's too limited. The ACC is awful so they might scratch some wins.

Reactions: rockycard
2-19 Cal can't shoot the ball for them lol But there was so much hype about our depth. Where the hell did that go? Other than Mintz, the 3 others that played for a combined total of 16 min. Wheeler was ineffective. 2 players in double figures. If this team can't run, and give ND credit for preventing that, there could be a lot these type of games. Allen and Ware got 0 minutes. Go figure. Sometimes Cal's bar for players earning their time is too high. Use what you got Cal, figure it out as he would tell his players.
Allen and Ware didn't play because they are terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
A good buddy of mine is a gigantic cat fan. When they were looking to hire in 2009 I said “they should call Jay Wright”. Hard to argue that they went the wrong way with Cal with all the success they’ve had (including a title and a handful of final 4s), but I thought Wright could have been a great hire back even back then.
He was considered, and declined interviews both times (2007 & 2009).

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
So was Devin Askew.

He’s been brutally bad for the longhorns so far as well. I thought I read somewhere on this board that he’d be a world beater or something.

Maybe he’ll be pretty decent as a 5th year senior but he doesn’t look so good right now.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I agree with you, just saying I would probably call them and see. You never know. Self probably tired of that cheating Adidas and wanna go to a clean company like Nike.

🤣 since adidas was having bidding wars against themselve
Lmao since adidas was having bidding wars with themselves 🤣. Nike isnt clean either, fbi just didnt go after em, and the ones they did get woulda got off if they literally hadn’t hung themselves on the wire like miller or wade although hes still got a job somehow.

Only diff in nike and adidas is adidas isnt american, hence why all the nike aau stuff magically got thrown out of court.

Last edited:
I think Louisville plays too many guys. They should probably play 8 maybe a 9th and just extend the 8's minutes so they can find some kind of rhythm.

The biggest issue is they don't have any high end talent when they go to scoring droughts they got nowhere to go with it.

West and Davis are solid role players that would be great reserves, but they are asked to start and do things they can't do. Team has 2 guys that know how to play winning ball, Williams and Cross. West would be a 3rd but he's too limited. The ACC is awful so they might scratch some wins.
Our problem is our supposed two best players coming into the year withers and williamson have been mia. Williamson no so suprising hes always been erratic. But withers was one of our besg players last year and hes been god awful smdh.

Theh were supposed to be the high end talent, but they havent even plaued well enough to start imo, i know williamsons been gettin very little clock but hell cross and davis are outplaying him

Our problem is our supposed two best players coming into the year withers and williamson have been mia. Williamson no so suprising hes always been erratic. But withers was one of our besg players last year and hes been god awful smdh.

Theh were supposed to be the high end talent, but they havent even plaued well enough to start imo, i know williamsons been gettin very little clock but hell cross and davis are outplaying him
Neither were on a mock draft board going into the year or on any AA team list. That is the high end barometer I'm using. And if they are MIA through 9 games they aren't high end talent using any metric. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying I just have a different theory and conclusion using the same data you are using.

And yes since the best 2 players are non factors that pushed incapable guys into expanded roles.

It's going to be interesting to see if more lineup changes are made throughout the year.

Beard’s old team: #6 in defensive efficiency per Kenpom. Beard’s new team, with a loaded and experienced roster: #23.

Further evidence of who was actually responsible for Tech’s success.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Beard’s old team: #6 in defensive efficiency per Kenpom. Beard’s new team, with a loaded and experienced roster: #23.

Further evidence of who was actually responsible for Tech’s success.
True, but top 25 defense still isn't bad imo...

Forgive me in advance, deep schedule today not going to list every single interesting game, but feel free to add/discuss any and all I miss.

Neb vs Auburn - No Pearl but man Neb sucks. Love the 1130 tip! Just the tip baby. Just. The. Tip.

Wisky @ tOSU - Probably more chatter in the elitist thread pinned but this is a good one for sure

BYU @ Creighton - Early tip time for the west coasters

Syracuse @ Hoyas - Old skoo Big East probably don't belong ITT but f u this is old skoo Big East

Arky @ OU - Old rivals from the Big8 set to get after it. Love Arky's pace.

Missouri @ KU - Missouri really sucks and KU does not. Old bitter rivals though. McCormack out?

AZ @ Illinois - I have not had an opportunity to see either team, but looks like a good one on paper

UK vs ND - Irish on Missouri level. UK probably good. Weird line -4.5?

LSU @ G Tech - Could be up and down

Cincy @ Xavier - These programs absolutely HATE THE F out of each other
No Houston at Bama on your list? 2 top 15 teams

Didn’t they win the east division (football) soon after they joined?
Mizzo is in the weak azz SEC East...same reason Jawja looked so good vs SEC east opponents this year.
Michigan will beat them

Neither were on a mock draft board going into the year or on any AA team list. That is the high end barometer I'm using. And if they are MIA through 9 games they aren't high end talent using any metric. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying I just have a different theory and conclusion using the same data you are using.

And yes since the best 2 players are non factors that pushed incapable guys into expanded roles.

It's going to be interesting to see if more lineup changes are made throughout the year.
Gotcha, i just meant they were supposed to be our two best players coming into the year and havent even been in the top 5 best players.

Gotcha, i just meant they were supposed to be our two best players coming into the year and havent even been in the top 5 best players.
I agree with you pretty much 100.

If they were doing anything the team would probably be 7-2 or 8-1. Sam was actually all over mock drafts when he arrived as a FR.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has transferred yet. Something don't smell right.

Reactions: Villian07
I just dont get withers. He was pretty dam good last year playing put of position. This year hes inexplicably been worse.

Sams problem is he cant shoot, and he isnt more athletic than everyone on the court like he was in HS. So hes basically 0 threat on O besides hustle points and putbacks, bit at least he was at least doing that last year.

And agreed on the transfer prediction. Just really no sense in doing it mid season, u already coat uraelf a year of eligibility might as well ride it out imo.

Between sam and VJ king has any school had worse luck woth mcdaa turning into busts than louisville. Idk if shaquaan aaron was a mcdaa or not but he was a 5 star, and also a huge bust. I cant remember the last time we signed a 5 star that even came close to living up to the hype. Rozier maybe was borderline 5 star, along with anton gil lolololol that one recruoting cycle. Then bowen, the one adidas paid, obv is a bust too since we havent heard a word about him since the fbi scandal except his failed attempt to sue someone. Somehow our 4 stars (or lower) end up better than our five stars most of the time smdh.

I just dont get withers. He was pretty dam good last year playing put of position. This year hes inexplicably been worse.

Sams problem is he cant shoot, and he isnt more athletic than everyone on the court like he was in HS.

Between sam and VJ king has any school had worse luck woth mcdaa turning into busts than louisville. Idk if shaquaan aaron was a mcdaa or not but he was a 5 star, and also a huge bust. I cant remember the last time we signed a 5 star that even came close to living up to the hype. Rozier maybe was borderline 5 star, along with anton gil lolololol that one recruoting cycle. Then bowen, the one adidas paid, obv is a bust too since we havent heard a word about him since the fbi scandal except his failed attempt to sue someone.
Withers don't look like he wants the contact. Either the scheme or his mindset, not sure which, has him floating at the 3 pt line way too much. They need him drawing fouls, finishing on the baseline, and getting offensive boards. Playing like an intense dude. It ain't there right now. Who knows, maybe somebody in his inner circle has told him he needs to showcase perimeter skill to get to the NBA. Or maybe the scheme just doesn't fit his skill set. These dudes aren't good enough to flow 4 or 5 out and try to play like Golden State RollLaugh

The O ain't ever gonna get where the fans want it with this personnel. They are probably best off just focusing on D and rebounding. Tighten the rotation to a firm 8-9. Hope a few more minutes for the rotation guys get some kind of cohesion on O but they are really just a 3 point shot and a prayer most nights unless Withers figures it out.

thats what so mind boggling about withers, he was doing all those thing u mentioned last year while having to play against bigger centers instead of PFs.

and as far as not smelling right i think macks seat is bout to be hot as hell like satts. Lots of times new ADs and Presidents want “their” guy, not holdovers from previous admin. Plus mack has the dino bs hanging over him now as well, combined with a struggling team, id say hes in a terrible mental state right now, heck u can tell the way he smarted off to reporters about using timeouts smdh.

which idc much about those two, i dont think they are horrible, but i dont think they are great either. Im more worried about waltz, mcdonnel, and the volleyball coach at this point.

thats what so mind boggling about withers, he was doing all those thing u mentioned last year while having to play against bigger centers instead of PFs.

and as far as not smelling right i think macks seat is bout to be hot as hell like satts. Lots of times new ADs and Presidents want “their” guy, not holdovers from previous admin. Plus mack has the dino bs hanging over him now as well, combined with a struggling team, id say hes in a terrible mental state right now, heck u can tell the way he smarted off to reporters about using timeouts smdh.

which idc much about those two, i dont think they are horrible, but i dont think they are great either. Im more worried about waltz, mcdonnel, and the volleyball coach at this point.
100% again.

I honestly think, and I know it wouldn't be popular but.

They may as well keep Mack until the sanction stuff clears and is over regardless of what he does this year, or year after, etc. I know a new AD will want his own guy. But no coach is going to get them relevant until the smoke clears and they can at least compete in recruiting.

You don't want to hit a cycle of hiring firing every 3-5 years. They aren't gonna attract the type of HC fans think they are right now. But after sanctions finally clear, maybe.

Yea i agree on mack as well. I dont want him gone by any means, but it wouldnt make me depressed either.

But with the transfer portal, recruiting hs prospects isnt as important imo as it used to be. But yea i just wish theyd hit us with the ncaa stuff already. The dark cloud and not knowing is literally worse than any punishment they can deal out sans the death penalty which i doubt they ever do again.

Yea i agree on mack as well. I dont want him gone by any means, but it wouldnt make me depressed either.

But with the transfer portal, recruiting hs prospects isnt as important imo as it used to be. But yea i just wish theyd hit us with the ncaa stuff already. The dark cloud and not knowing is literally worse than any punishment they can deal out sans the death penalty which i doubt they ever do again.
So the portal, it's giving a lot of people mixed results across the country. But yeah maybe, sure. I'd still like to have a 5*, or a shot @ a 5*. They aren't gonna be in the mix for that for awhile though.

The HC candidates they'd get with the cloud for this job ain't the same types of names they'd get w/o a cloud. I'd just let him ride it out. But I could change my mind at the end of the year. Or in 15 minutes. RollLaugh

ADVERTISEMENT