ADVERTISEMENT

Rosanne Lamar Bee Left/Right Slugjam

Ah, it’s our weekly reminder that Bert is a crazy old man! Thank goodness, I had almost forgotten!

Millions of Americans didn't have a problem with it either.

Mostly white people had a problem with it like they have had problems with blacks people protesting since the 50/60s. Predominately the 70% of Republicans who don’t think we have race problems in Murica...

What a stupid post. Who in hell are you?

Is your IQ over 50?

It’s not a stupid post. Just info from polls.

How are black people supposed to protest if a certain base hates it EVERY time?

White people have always in polls shown they do not like how black people are protesting since MLK....whether it was kneeling.....or sitting in a diner.....or protesting on the streets peacefully or what not....70% of Republicans don’t think we have a race problem in Murica.

Reactions: Matt Laurer

White people have always in polls shown they do not like how black people are protesting since MLK....whether it was kneeling.....or sitting in a diner.....or protesting on the streets peacefully or what not....70% of Republicans don’t think we have a race problem in Murica.
I will speak for this white person only. I don't like the kneeling. I am over being upset about it, because at the end of the day it is a peaceful protest whether I care for it or not.

I don't like protesters who block traffic or form barricades to prevent people from entering stores or restaurants that have no involvement in what they are protesting.

I don't like protests that end up with businesses and personal property being damaged, stolen or destroyed.

I am all for organized and peaceful protests that are aimed at the right target. I would be all for black people lining up outside of every Starbucks to use their restrooms and leave without buying a damn thing. I am all for the protests of legitimately unjust police shootings. In an adult manner. I don't like ot when you have cases like Charlotte where a man gets shot by police while holding and lifting a gun towards officers. But his daughter lies on Facebook saying he was minding his business reading a book inciting a violent riot that led to another death and destruction of property. Without any kind of evidence to support the suspect over the police. No kind of charges against her for causing that btw.

I would like to see these polls you speak of though.

Nah. It’s stupid.

Because you don’t want to accept the racism or any shame in your idiotic responses.
Let's be fair. It is stupid to post stats without backing them up. It is also stupid to bring race into a bickering fest involving Ivanka and Samantha Bee and Roseanne. I don't know who you are, but what I have seen from you is 100% race related.

The translation for your post is you lied and can't back it up.

Up you'rs brooky. You have little credibility.

Sorry but you can't back your shit up, can you?

First of all, I don’t know why you’re so triggered. Second of all, you originally said you couldn’t remember anybody saying bad words about the Obama’s; then, you asked me to give an example of them being called ****s, specifically. If you can’t see how that’s the definition of moving the goalposts, then I have nothing for you, you dusty old fart.

I will speak for this white person only. I don't like the kneeling. I am over being upset about it, because at the end of the day it is a peaceful protest whether I care for it or not.

I don't like protesters who block traffic or form barricades to prevent people from entering stores or restaurants that have no involvement in what they are protesting.

I don't like protests that end up with businesses and personal property being damaged, stolen or destroyed.

I am all for organized and peaceful protests that are aimed at the right target. I would be all for black people lining up outside of every Starbucks to use their restrooms and leave without buying a damn thing. I am all for the protests of legitimately unjust police shootings. In an adult manner. I don't like ot when you have cases like Charlotte where a man gets shot by police while holding and lifting a gun towards officers. But his daughter lies on Facebook saying he was minding his business reading a book inciting a violent riot that led to another death and destruction of property. Without any kind of evidence to support the suspect over the police. No kind of charges against her for causing that btw.

I would like to see these polls you speak of though.

I will find the polls that were used. I forget which city newspaper used the details but it was about how different groups of races and beliefs view black people protesting. Traveling right now. Wife is wondering why I am looking at my phone.

But again that is what Kaepernick did and he did it right. He has been called a thug (the new N word) and such on this site and other sites. I am not a fan of people saying get over it when black people didn’t get rights until the 60s...then they are fighting through stereotypes (some created in their own community), stupidity, poverty, etc. over time.

Protests are supposed to make people uncomfortable and make people talk about why someone would do that.

I am not cool with people say kids are being kids when they light couches and flip cars after winning a NC then treat Kaepernick like he did or when black people protest.

This is what I say about this. People are liars on all levels. White supremacist lie. White people lie. Black people lie. I have lied. You have lied. It is in our flawed minds to cover for ourselves when we are called out or do something that causes us to lie. People need to look at themselves though. We all have done something racist even me. It’s recognizing it and fixing it instead of trying to think we aren’t. People don’t like to feel uncomfortable and Kaepernick made them feel uncomfortable. One side wants to think cops are all good when they typically don’t deal with the profiling and bad parts of it. They don’t want it to be called out either. None of us have lived in a high crime, high poverty area. Helping my wife on the south side of Chicago has been eye opening with what some of these kids deal with internally in their own community and externally from police, politicians, and people outside of their community. Makes you think.

Reactions: AWilli6995
I will find the polls that were used. I forget which city newspaper used the details but it was about how different groups of races and beliefs view black people protesting. Traveling right now. Wife is wondering why I am looking at my phone.

But again that is what Kaepernick did and he did it right. He has been called a thug (the new N word) and such on this site and other sites. I am not a fan of people saying get over it when black people didn’t get rights until the 60s...then they are fighting through stereotypes (some created in their own community), stupidity, poverty, etc. over time.

Protests are supposed to make people uncomfortable and make people talk about why someone would do that.

I am not cool with people say kids are being kids when they light couches and flip cars after winning a NC then treat Kaepernick like he did or when black people protest.

This is what I say about this. People are liars on all levels. White supremacist lie. White people lie. Black people lie. I have lied. You have lied. It is in our flawed minds to cover for ourselves when we are called out or do something that causes us to lie. People need to look at themselves though. We all have done something racist even me. It’s recognizing it and fixing it instead of trying to think we aren’t. People don’t like to feel uncomfortable and Kaepernick made them feel uncomfortable. One side wants to think cops are all good when they typically don’t deal with the profiling and bad parts of it. They don’t want it to be called out either. None of us have lived in a high crime, high poverty area. Helping my wife on the south side of Chicago has been eye opening with what some of these kids deal with internally in their own community and externally from police, politicians, and people outside of their community. Makes you think.
I don't like any form of public destruction. I am not sure why that is always brought up. But you bring solid points when you don't come off as angry. But you always dive into these conversations defensive and insulting. I can be guilty of creating that in some cases. The point of one side wanting to think that all cops are good is not so. I think everyone outside of a bubble has said fck the police at one point in their lives. It's the demonizing of them and the politicizing of them from the former administration and the losing candidate that has created the picking sides. And most rational people are going to pick the side of law enforcement over criminals. Sadly, it means that SOME people automatically assume that the police always make the right decision. Which is just as bad as SOME people automatically assuming that the cop was in the wrong. But when you have your hero Kaepernick depicting cops as pigs and calling for the dismantling of the police departments, it makes the other side dig their feet deeper in the ground. And I don't think anyone that supports him really wants to see that.

You don’t have a clue how Kaepernick made people feel. It’s your assumption, which IMO, is incorrect. Based on what most people who disagree with the protest say, it’s viewed as disrespectful to the flag and our country. You don’t get to decide how people view the protest. Unfortunately Kaepernick chose the wrong venue to protest and it backfired on him. So naturally people like Kaep are quick to point out race where it really isn’t the issue no matter how much you act like it is...

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
You don’t have a clue how Kaepernick made people feel. It’s your assumption, which IMO, is incorrect. Based on what most people who disagree with the protest say, it’s viewed as disrespectful to the flag and our country. You don’t get to decide how people view the protest. Unfortunately Kaepernick chose the wrong venue to protest and it backfired on him. So naturally people like Kaep are quick to point out race where it really isn’t the issue no matter how much you act like it is...
You've done a good job recently of distinguishing between Kaep's true intentions and how people received it. At some point, you have to recognize that disconnect. Wouldn't the same apply to perceived racism? You can say it isn't about that just like I can tell you Kaep's protest wasn't about that, but perceiving it differently matters, right?

Here is one of the reasons we have a race problem in America.

Maybe you want to review this article. Of course this will not be reported by your favorite CNN site. When you have the president of the South Carolina NAACP reporting fake news no wonder we have race relations issues and a war on police officers by Black Lives Matter.
May 15, 2018 02:46 PM
Updated May 15, 2018 04:00 PM
The president of a local chapter of the NAACP in South Carolina said he was racially profiled in April by a police officer when he was pulled over for a traffic violation, but body camera footage released by the Timmonsville Police Department contradicts the reverend’s claims.
“TONIGHT I WAS RACIALLY PROFILED by Timmonsville Officer CAUSE I WAS DRIVING A MERCEDES BENZ AND GOING HOME IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD,” Jarrod Moultrie posted on Facebook April 13.
Timmonsville Police Officer Chris Miles stopped Moultrie for not engaging his turn signal before turning, according to the officer’s body camera footage and Moultrie’s Facebook post. A South Carolina Highway state trooper assisted the officer during the stop, according to Timmonsville police.
In the Facebook post, which has been deleted, Moultrie recounted the dialogue between him and Miles.
According to Moultrie, Miles asked him if he had any drugs in the car, where he worked, who was the owner of the car and why he was in the neighborhood.
“Me: sir I am a pastor and I live in the house on the left,” the post reads. “Officer: And I guess I am the bill gates.”
The encounter between Moultrie and Miles is different than what Moultrie described, based on police body camera footage released by the Timmonsville Police Department.
In the video, Miles identifies himself with Timmonsville police and asks for Moultrie’s license, registration and proof of insurance.
As Moultrie is unfolding paperwork, the officer asks, “Now you don’t own the motor vehicle?”
“Yes, sir, I just transferred,” Moultrie replied as he hands him what appears to be a receipt for the vehicle.
The officer repeats Moultrie’s statement about transferring tags and then asks for Moultrie’s name as he hands him the registration for the previous vehicle. Then the officer asks for Moultrie’s license and tells him why he stopped him.
“The reason I’m coming in contact with you is that whenever you took that left right here, you didn’t signal. Okay. That’s the only reason I’m coming in contact with you. Okay?”
After Moultrie gives Miles his license, the officer heads back to his patrol car, the body camera footage shows.
In the patrol car, the officer checks the registration, which he tells dispatch is for a 1992 GMC Sierra.
When the officer returns to Moultrie’s car, he tells him to try to not drive the car until he has the proper registration, the body camera footage shows.
When Moultrie tells Miles he bought the car recently and switched the tags, the officer interrupts him to say he needs to go to a DMV in South Carolina to ask why the tags are still registered to the truck.
“I switched the tags from the truck to the car,” Moultrie told the officer, while gesturing to the receipt of the Mercedes.
“They told me a DMV—the dealer put that on there, that showed the tags gonna be transferred. And all I need to do is keep this registration in there and this bill that’s here.”
“They told you wrong,” the officer responded. “You’ve got to have the proper documentation in your motor vehicle that actually matches the car that you’re operating on South Carolina highways.”
The officer then hands him back his license, tells him to wear his seatbelt and drive safely, the body camera footage shows.
Based on the body camera footage, the officer never asked Moultrie if he had drugs in the car nor why he was driving in that area.
Moultrie’s account of the dialogue between him and Miles when the officer returned to the Mercedes is different than what the body camera footage shows.
“Officer: I am warning you to not drive this car til tags get straight and just know I am doing you a favor tonight not taking you to jail or writing you a ticket,” the post reads.
In the post, Moultrie says his wife was in the back seat without a seat belt and with a baby out of the car seat. He also mentioned he would follow up with Timmonsville police because “someone needs to answer for this behavior.”
Timmonsville Police Chief Billy Brown said Moultrie contacted him the day after the traffic stop to say he was racially profiled and mistreated, ABC15 News reported.
When Brown reviewed the body camera footage, he said he was shocked that the reverend would lie about the encounter.
“When I saw the video, I was shocked that someone who is supposed to be a community leader, a pastor, and head of the NAACP would just come out and tell a blatant lie,” Brown said to the news station.
“It bothered me. It really bothered me, thinking about the racial unrest it could've cost in the community and it's just troubling to me that someone who held a position like that would come out and just tell a lie."
Moultrie was elected president of the chapter, which was inactive for several years, in 2017, SC Now reported.
Moultrie said to SC Now in 2017 that many of the problems that he wanted to address--school board inadequacies, unjust city ordinances, low voter registration and the lack of police presence--in Timmonsville were rooted in electing city officials based on history, rather than credibility, and not holding elected officials accountable.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article211166024.html
If you would like to read the article copy and paste this in your address bar. This war on police officers has to stop.

And you might remember this case:
10 Years Later, The Duke Lacrosse Rape Case Still Stings
And you might remember people like Al Sharpton making a public case out of false rape charges by Tawana Brawley which almost started a race war.
Revisiting a Rape Scandal That Would Have Been Monstrous if True

Bert I would love to see you whoop up on some of these youngins around here

I think everyone knows that the old man is a lot of bark on the Internet.... but not many seventy year olds are whupping anything, if we are going to be honest.

Here is one of the reasons we have a race problem in America.

Maybe you want to review this article. Of course this will not be reported by your favorite CNN site. When you have the president of the South Carolina NAACP reporting fake news no wonder we have race relations issues and a war on police officers by Black Lives Matter.
May 15, 2018 02:46 PM
Updated May 15, 2018 04:00 PM
The president of a local chapter of the NAACP in South Carolina said he was racially profiled in April by a police officer when he was pulled over for a traffic violation, but body camera footage released by the Timmonsville Police Department contradicts the reverend’s claims.
“TONIGHT I WAS RACIALLY PROFILED by Timmonsville Officer CAUSE I WAS DRIVING A MERCEDES BENZ AND GOING HOME IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD,” Jarrod Moultrie posted on Facebook April 13.
Timmonsville Police Officer Chris Miles stopped Moultrie for not engaging his turn signal before turning, according to the officer’s body camera footage and Moultrie’s Facebook post. A South Carolina Highway state trooper assisted the officer during the stop, according to Timmonsville police.
In the Facebook post, which has been deleted, Moultrie recounted the dialogue between him and Miles.
According to Moultrie, Miles asked him if he had any drugs in the car, where he worked, who was the owner of the car and why he was in the neighborhood.
“Me: sir I am a pastor and I live in the house on the left,” the post reads. “Officer: And I guess I am the bill gates.”
The encounter between Moultrie and Miles is different than what Moultrie described, based on police body camera footage released by the Timmonsville Police Department.
In the video, Miles identifies himself with Timmonsville police and asks for Moultrie’s license, registration and proof of insurance.
As Moultrie is unfolding paperwork, the officer asks, “Now you don’t own the motor vehicle?”
“Yes, sir, I just transferred,” Moultrie replied as he hands him what appears to be a receipt for the vehicle.
The officer repeats Moultrie’s statement about transferring tags and then asks for Moultrie’s name as he hands him the registration for the previous vehicle. Then the officer asks for Moultrie’s license and tells him why he stopped him.
“The reason I’m coming in contact with you is that whenever you took that left right here, you didn’t signal. Okay. That’s the only reason I’m coming in contact with you. Okay?”
After Moultrie gives Miles his license, the officer heads back to his patrol car, the body camera footage shows.
In the patrol car, the officer checks the registration, which he tells dispatch is for a 1992 GMC Sierra.
When the officer returns to Moultrie’s car, he tells him to try to not drive the car until he has the proper registration, the body camera footage shows.
When Moultrie tells Miles he bought the car recently and switched the tags, the officer interrupts him to say he needs to go to a DMV in South Carolina to ask why the tags are still registered to the truck.
“I switched the tags from the truck to the car,” Moultrie told the officer, while gesturing to the receipt of the Mercedes.
“They told me a DMV—the dealer put that on there, that showed the tags gonna be transferred. And all I need to do is keep this registration in there and this bill that’s here.”
“They told you wrong,” the officer responded. “You’ve got to have the proper documentation in your motor vehicle that actually matches the car that you’re operating on South Carolina highways.”
The officer then hands him back his license, tells him to wear his seatbelt and drive safely, the body camera footage shows.
Based on the body camera footage, the officer never asked Moultrie if he had drugs in the car nor why he was driving in that area.
Moultrie’s account of the dialogue between him and Miles when the officer returned to the Mercedes is different than what the body camera footage shows.
“Officer: I am warning you to not drive this car til tags get straight and just know I am doing you a favor tonight not taking you to jail or writing you a ticket,” the post reads.
In the post, Moultrie says his wife was in the back seat without a seat belt and with a baby out of the car seat. He also mentioned he would follow up with Timmonsville police because “someone needs to answer for this behavior.”
Timmonsville Police Chief Billy Brown said Moultrie contacted him the day after the traffic stop to say he was racially profiled and mistreated, ABC15 News reported.
When Brown reviewed the body camera footage, he said he was shocked that the reverend would lie about the encounter.
“When I saw the video, I was shocked that someone who is supposed to be a community leader, a pastor, and head of the NAACP would just come out and tell a blatant lie,” Brown said to the news station.
“It bothered me. It really bothered me, thinking about the racial unrest it could've cost in the community and it's just troubling to me that someone who held a position like that would come out and just tell a lie."
Moultrie was elected president of the chapter, which was inactive for several years, in 2017, SC Now reported.
Moultrie said to SC Now in 2017 that many of the problems that he wanted to address--school board inadequacies, unjust city ordinances, low voter registration and the lack of police presence--in Timmonsville were rooted in electing city officials based on history, rather than credibility, and not holding elected officials accountable.
If you would like to read the article copy and paste this in your address bar. This war on police officers has to stop.

And you might remember this case:
10 Years Later, The Duke Lacrosse Rape Case Still Stings
And you might remember people like Al Sharpton making a public case out of false rape charges by Tawana Brawley which almost started a race war.
Revisiting a Rape Scandal That Would Have Been Monstrous if True

I hate when people take individual cases and then use them to write off literally millions of experiences by people.

You've done a good job recently of distinguishing between Kaep's true intentions and how people received it. At some point, you have to recognize that disconnect. Wouldn't the same apply to perceived racism? You can say it isn't about that just like I can tell you Kaep's protest wasn't about that, but perceiving it differently matters, right?
I just think there is a disconnect between what the protesters believe it stands for and what normal Americans perceive when they see the kneeling. Nothing wrong with that. I will say that Kaep did nothing to help his own cause. In fact, I would say He made it much worse for himself.

I just think there is a disconnect between what the protesters believe it stands for and what normal Americans perceive when they see the kneeling. Nothing wrong with that. I will say that Kaep did nothing to help his own cause. In fact, I would say He made it much worse for himself.
There is that disconnect, but some of that ought to be be bridged by the repeated corrections about what it really represents. Remember that example I gave about flying the flag upside down? Yes, it can be a sign of disrespect, but it is also used to indicate distress. Surely helping them should be prioritized over criticizing them, right? Similarly, a very real, very sincere concern about police brutality/systemic racism/implicit bias ought to be more important than symbolic but superficial respect for the flag. The flag is supposed to represent ideals of freedom and equality. Whether someone agrees w/ Kaep that it's a problem or not, surely the ideals the flag represents are more important than the literal flag itself, aren't they?

There is that disconnect, but some of that ought to be be bridged by the repeated corrections about what it really represents. Remember that example I gave about flying the flag upside down? Yes, it can be a sign of disrespect, but it is also used to indicate distress. Surely helping them should be prioritized over criticizing them, right? Similarly, a very real, very sincere concern about police brutality/systemic racism/implicit bias ought to be more important than symbolic but superficial respect for the flag. The flag is supposed to represent ideals of freedom and equality. Whether someone agrees w/ Kaep that it's a problem or not, surely the ideals the flag represents are more important than the literal flag itself, aren't they?
Like others have pointed out, I think Kaep Hurt his own cause and his potential to bridge any gap with his socks that had pigs dressed as cops and his Castro nonsense. The other side dug their heels in and it was over. I think He came off as insincere with some of those antics and it ultimately hurt his cause.

I hate when people take individual cases and then use them to write off literally millions of experiences by people.
There is another case almost identical in Texas with a state representative. I think it’s used more frequently than people think to get out of trouble. Can’t believe he didn’t get ticketed. I forgot to put my new sticker on my license plate ...one day late...and got a 183 dollar fine. Had it on the counter at home. It shouldn’t be used to write off real offenses just as it shouldn’t be written off bc their are real cases. Man should 100% be removed from his position in the naacp and I’m not sure he sounds fit to lead a congregation.

I don't like any form of public destruction. I am not sure why that is always brought up. But you bring solid points when you don't come off as angry. But you always dive into these conversations defensive and insulting. I can be guilty of creating that in some cases. The point of one side wanting to think that all cops are good is not so. I think everyone outside of a bubble has said fck the police at one point in their lives. It's the demonizing of them and the politicizing of them from the former administration and the losing candidate that has created the picking sides. And most rational people are going to pick the side of law enforcement over criminals. Sadly, it means that SOME people automatically assume that the police always make the right decision. Which is just as bad as SOME people automatically assuming that the cop was in the wrong. But when you have your hero Kaepernick depicting cops as pigs and calling for the dismantling of the police departments, it makes the other side dig their feet deeper in the ground. And I don't think anyone that supports him really wants to see that.

As promised:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...t-the-nfl-protests-it-depends-on-how-you-ask/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vil-rights-protesters/?utm_term=.2b2f1fa8bfd5

There was another article on how America does an about face after the fact....it showed polls on how people felt about MLK and compared them to the same polls before.

Like others have pointed out, I think Kaep Hurt his own cause and his potential to bridge any gap with his socks that had pigs dressed as cops and his Castro nonsense. The other side dug their heels in and it was over. I think He came off as insincere with some of those antics and it ultimately hurt his cause.
Yeah, if a protest isn't darn near perfect, it's going to be criticized for peripheral things. I've talked about the socks and Castro previously.

About that "other side"... that includes you, right? You've dug your heels in, too, correct? At this point, after so many clarifications of what he was really aiming for, and the info on how he respectfully moved from sitting to kneeling, we should be past the point of what it seemed like he was doing. The way I see it, you can disagree w/ the method and consider it disrespectful, but you should now know why he was really doing it, at least.

As promised:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...t-the-nfl-protests-it-depends-on-how-you-ask/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vil-rights-protesters/?utm_term=.2b2f1fa8bfd5

There was another article on how America does an about face after the fact....it showed polls on how people felt about MLK and compared them to the same polls before.
Statistically speaking, I am not sure what the difference would be. But I thought you were talking anout protests in general. There are a few more variables involved with the NFL players kneeling. Some people can be in support of protests but not when it involves using their favorite sport as a platform. Others obviously view it as disrespecting the flag. Others don't like it because of the radical things that Kaep has said and that will always be tied to the protests because he was the one that started it. I am not saying any of them are right or wrong, just that it doesn't tell the whole story to just say people don't like the NFL protest.

As far as the "about face" on MLK, that's not very surprising. The civil rights movement opened a lot of people's eyes and changed a lot of minds. It's also far different from what they are protesting today. It's definitely not fair to compare the two.

Today, I don't think it is the protests alone that some people don't like. It's what, when and where they are protesting. Not every police shooting represents brutality and corruption. A lot of times very little facts are known about the situations before aggressive to violent protests erupt. And blocking traffic and disrupting people who are shopping only creates more divide and increases the number of people who are going to have a negative opinion on protests.

Reactions: SNU0821
As far as the "about face" on MLK, that's not very surprising. The civil rights movement opened a lot of people's eyes and changed a lot of minds. It's also far different from what they are protesting today. It's definitely not fair to compare the two.
Not quite. Yes, there is catching up to someone ahead of their time (especially when they get assassinated so that we can pretend they were working on the last problem out there), but we can't judge today based on how we now judge yesterday. In MLK's lifetime, people were saying, "Well, he's no Gandhi," or "He's no Harriet Tubman/Frederick Douglass," etc. MLK had moved on from the Voting Rights Act and Civil Rights Act and was ahead of the curve in denouncing Vietnam. (Geez, talk about roiling patriots: kneeling for a football game isn't in the same league as criticizing a war.) On the day he was assassinated, MLK was in Memphis in support of underpaid sanitation workers. If we look at the "Fight for $15" people and say "it's definitely not fair to compare the two," we're missing the point and being very, very short-sighted.

Statistically speaking, I am not sure what the difference would be. But I thought you were talking anout protests in general. There are a few more variables involved with the NFL players kneeling. Some people can be in support of protests but not when it involves using their favorite sport as a platform. Others obviously view it as disrespecting the flag. Others don't like it because of the radical things that Kaep has said and that will always be tied to the protests because he was the one that started it. I am not saying any of them are right or wrong, just that it doesn't tell the whole story to just say people don't like the NFL protest.
Today, I don't think it is the protests alone that some people don't like. It's what, when and where they are protesting. Not every police shooting represents brutality and corruption. A lot of times very little facts are known about the situations before aggressive to violent protests erupt. And blocking traffic and disrupting people who are shopping only creates more divide and increases the number of people who are going to have a negative opinion on protests.
It also doesn't tell the whole story not to include the reason for the protest, which should eliminate all questions about intent.

Kaep never specified which individual incidents qualified as police brutality. And not every police shooting results in any kind of protest. It's only the incidents with gray areas. It's already skewing the data to leave out the countless shootings where there's pretty quick acceptance and trust despite grief and shock. There's an easy opportunity to support deeper investigation and soul-searching, but talking about "not every shooting" again misses the point.

There is no such thing as a protest that doesn't disrupt. That would be called "lobbying." The March on Selma was disruptive. It blocked traffic. It made people late for work. Would you be so keen to take up the cause of people who were on the fence about voting rights, but were late to work and decided, "now I definitely won't support voting rights for the Negro"?

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago
There is another case almost identical in Texas with a state representative. I think it’s used more frequently than people think to get out of trouble. Can’t believe he didn’t get ticketed. I forgot to put my new sticker on my license plate ...one day late...and got a 183 dollar fine. Had it on the counter at home. It shouldn’t be used to write off real offenses just as it shouldn’t be written off bc their are real cases. Man should 100% be removed from his position in the naacp and I’m not sure he sounds fit to lead a congregation.
Then you have this in Texas.

https://www.essence.com/news/texas-woman-accuses-police-officer-daniel-hubbard-rape

Can we not admit that these cases hurt progress a hell of a lot more than NFL players kneeling helps?

Can we not admit that these cases hurt progress a hell of a lot more than NFL players kneeling helps?
Has there been an update? I didn't see anything in the article indicating she was lying.

And no, we cannot "admit" that b/c it's a matter of perspective and priority. One false accusation is enough to offset every other accusation for some people. And while I will acknowledge there are others left of me for whom a single confirmed case of abused power is enough to cause suspicion in every honest cop, the balance of power still lies w/ the police. Michael Slager's first trial ended in a hung jury despite video evidence of his shooting Walter Scott in the back from 50+ feet away. Philando Castille's killer wasn't charged. Alton Sterling's killer wasn't charged. Suspicions continue to mount, creating hostility for good cops, too, but nothing productive ever happens as a result. There have been some horrific incidents in which LEO have been targeted and assassinated by extremists, but nothing systemic changes, and those few abhorrent -- very few, very abhorrent -- incidents become fuel for blindly siding w/ the police in every shade of gray area ever after. It's hard enough for the underdog to get a fair shake w/o skewing perceptions further and further away from them.

Why do so many of these things just become "Hey wait, but look at THIS story!" when we are discussing issues with such larger import? It just makes it such a cheap and worthless conversation, you know?

Why do so many of these things just become "Hey wait, but look at THIS story!" when we are discussing issues with such larger import? It just makes it such a cheap and worthless conversation, you know?
Kind of like sports. "oh you lost in the first round", "well you went to an NIT".

These issues are part of the divide in this country. It's not just "Hey wait, but look at THIS story!" It's, hey, there are other elements to the overall story. Stories like these lead to misguided beliefs. They drive people further away from resolve on both sides. They are part of the problem whether you want to admit it or not. What makes these conversations cheap and worthless is people refusing to acknowledge that false accusations of police brutality and racism do in fact affect how real cases are viewed. It causes people to blindly hate police and on the flip side, it causes people to blindly support the police. It causes people to exaggerate racism in America and on the flip side, it causes people to downplay racism in America

Why do you not just denounce this event, admit it hurts the broader issue and move on? It just makes you seem insincere and worthless in these conversations. You know?

Reactions: toonces11
Some issues become bigger than they are b/c of false accusations. Then all of a sudden you have a large contingent of people believing one story instead of the truth or whole story. In racial profiling cases it has become a major issue (false accusations). Happens all the time and hardly gets any air time. Why shouldn't attention be brought to the innocent?

These issues are part of the divide in this country. It's not just "Hey wait, but look at THIS story!" It's, hey, there are other elements to the overall story. Stories like these lead to misguided beliefs. They drive people further away from resolve on both sides. They are part of the problem whether you want to admit it or not. What makes these conversations cheap and worthless is people refusing to acknowledge that false accusations of police brutality and racism do in fact affect how real cases are viewed. It causes people to blindly hate police and on the flip side, it causes people to blindly support the police. It causes people to exaggerate racism in America and on the flip side, it causes people to downplay racism in America
You see how it could be seen as deflective, though, right? How bringing up a different incident like it helps defend against the original makes it into a divisive thing? Why not acknowledge the legitimate concerns around the first thing, establish some accord, and when it gets down to details then bring up incidents that hurt the big picture? And you are defending the status quo, the side w/ the natural advantage; why not make the first gesture from that position of power?

Reactions: brooky03
ADVERTISEMENT