ADVERTISEMENT

Rosanne Lamar Bee Left/Right Slugjam

When you're just waiting for it to come up, presumably so you can call it "the race card," you're using the "the race card" card and showing an unwillingness to consider anything about race.
I think he was just referencing that one poster, not necessarily the race card in general.

I think that is a bit cynical, and not really true:)

He is more of a liar than just about anyone, ever, in politics.

Just look at how crazily out of the norm he is among other Republicans.

Per Politifact...

Trump is mostly lying or worse 68% of the time.
Pence is mostly lying or worse only 49% of the time.
Paul Ryan is mostly lying or worse only 41% of the time.
Mitch McConnell is mostly lying or worse only 42% of the time.
John McCain is mostly lying or worse only 42% of the time.
Mitt Romney is mostly lying or worse only 42% of the time.
Rand Paul is mostly lying or worse only 34% of the time.

Trump is so far beyond the other guys that it's pretty stunning.

And in terms of douchebag, he is a million times more of a douchebag than Obama or either Bush or Reagan or Carter or any number of people in this world. Come on now. Let's not pretend he isn't just about the biggest douche ever:)

So yeah... I really disagree with what you are implying there. The amount Trump lies and how big of a douche he is isn't like almost any other President we've had in recent history.

It's okay to just say "Shit, yeah, he is a giant lying douchebag, but I think his policies are good and are helping our nation." I am sure he would be a fun guy to party with, but...

I need some examples of his policies helping our nation. Seriously idk of any.

He's done a good job continuing the good trends that the President before him started. And he's not for America first. He's for Trump first, second, and third.

How close he is to reaching an impactful, long-term agreement with North Korea remains to be seen. I'll be the first to give him credit if he pulls this off and brings stability to that area/relationship.
There were trends that have continued from the previous administration. That is true. But you are not being fair when you say that it is simply just a continuation of trends. I bet you were in agreement with the folks who said the markets would collapse, consumer confidence would plummet and more companies would opt out of the U.S. and go over seas.

Right now, consumer confidence is at an 18 year high. Markets continue to be high even on the days where they fall due to uncertainties. Regulations that handicapped American companies have been lifted resulting in more American jobs and major corporations opening up shop in the U.S. Other countries are now investing in our economy that were not just two years ago.

Though the unemployment rate was trending down, rates were not trending up at the rate they are now. Despite the scare tactics your party has attempted to instill in us, saying that tax cuts would lead to people dying. Yes, people dying. They are putting more money in the pockets of regular working people. (Save me the typical garbage that it is a tax cut for the rich)

Despite Trump being a lying, hypocritical douche, his policies are far more responsible for the success in our economy than you want to give him credit for.

There were trends that have continued from the previous administration. That is true. But you are not being fair when you say that it is simply just a continuation of trends. I bet you were in agreement with the folks who said the markets would collapse, consumer confidence would plummet and more companies would opt out of the U.S. and go over seas.

Right now, consumer confidence is at an 18 year high. Markets continue to be high even on the days where they fall due to uncertainties. Regulations that handicapped American companies have been lifted resulting in more American jobs and major corporations opening up shop in the U.S. Other countries are now investing in our economy that were not just two years ago.

Though the unemployment rate was trending down, rates were not trending up at the rate they are now. Despite the scare tactics your party has attempted to instill in us, saying that tax cuts would lead to people dying. Yes, people dying. They are putting more money in the pockets of regular working people. (Save me the typical garbage that it is a tax cut for the rich)

Despite Trump being a lying, hypocritical douche, his policies are far more responsible for the success in our economy than you want to give him credit for.

I was not in the group you described in the first paragraph. Also, presidential impact on the stock markets is minimal. And I can’t believe anybody would think a guy running on the platform of cutting corporate taxes would force businesses out of the country. I don’t have an opinion on the consumer confidence number. I don’t know or care about the significance of that. It means people want to buy things? Cool.

The tax cuts were for the rich. I did get more money in my pocket as a result of them, though (I’m not rich). Be careful lumping me into a party. The tax cuts will widen the deficit. Spending is out of control still and allocated poorly.

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago

Everything was trending up prior to him being in office:

united-states-consumer-confidence@2x.png

Unemployment:

united-states-unemployment-rate@2x.png

Stock Market has been increasing since 2009......

This is what I will say about Trump and any US President. Their first year is not because of the current President. They are reliant on the prior President's budget which affects the economy...most don't get any legislation their first year completed that affects it.....Trump didn't and Obama didn't. Trump's first budget was completed towards the end of March 2018. His tax impacts weren't implemented until March 2018. There will be a deficit/surplus impact with that...and this year we started getting Trump policies such as his tariffs, etc. and how this will impact our economy....which were all implemented this year....we don't know the retaliation that Canada, China and the EU will do.....so, technically, we have not seen the impacts of Trump's decisions yet frankly.

My favorite quote this year was when a conservative host was talking about Trump potentially getting a 4.0% GDP growth this quarter....one of his guests pointed that Obama had those as well and a 5.2% GDP one quarter...I don't get why conservatives rag on Obama so much. He started with a horrible situation and a lot of those graphs above were under his Presidency and Trump's first year was on his budget and policies...well the first 15 months since his tax impacts and budget weren't completed yet.

Very good summary. Spot on.

Everything was trending up prior to him being in office:

united-states-consumer-confidence@2x.png

Unemployment:

united-states-unemployment-rate@2x.png

Stock Market has been increasing since 2009......

This is what I will say about Trump and any US President. Their first year is not because of the current President. They are reliant on the prior President's budget which affects the economy...most don't get any legislation their first year completed that affects it.....Trump didn't and Obama didn't. Trump's first budget was completed towards the end of March 2018. His tax impacts weren't implemented until March 2018. There will be a deficit/surplus impact with that...and this year we started getting Trump policies such as his tariffs, etc. and how this will impact our economy....which were all implemented this year....we don't know the retaliation that Canada, China and the EU will do.....so, technically, we have not seen the impacts of Trump's decisions yet frankly.

My favorite quote this year was when a conservative host was talking about Trump potentially getting a 4.0% GDP growth this quarter....one of his guests pointed that Obama had those as well and a 5.2% GDP one quarter...I don't get why conservatives rag on Obama so much. He started with a horrible situation and a lot of those graphs above were under his Presidency and Trump's first year was on his budget and policies...well the first 15 months since his tax impacts and budget weren't completed yet.
The first year for Trump wasn’t solely reliant on Obama’s budget being a major driver of the markets. It had more to do with him, than it did Obama. All you have to do is look at the market jump after he was elected. That’s not Obama. That’s the markets understanding that the status quo was changing, for the better. Obama’s policies helped, I’ll give you that, but credit is due to Trump for the first year.

So why did we get the bump in the market when Trump was elected? Coincidence? Or could it have to do with his pro-growth agenda he campaigned on? The entire media and liberal base thought the world was going to come crashing down when Trump was elected. There were many people claiming Trump would send us into another Great Recession. The markets took off because of the prospects of deregulation, tax regulation, an infrastructure plan and other pro business items he talked about. Yes, Obama had things heading in the right direction, but to Trump deserves credit for what we’ve seen so far.

Now, as you pointed out, we’re getting more and more of his policies and some of those are significantly different than what the markets/street expected. We’ll see if he can continue his good economic trend through his presidency. He’s essentially at the put up or shut up phase. He’s started following through on some of this policies like taxes and de-regulation (thank GOD Dodd Frank is going away), now he has to keep it going. One year can be a fluke and all bluster, to continue a winning streak like we hope for will take continued, meausure pro-growth policies.

The first year for Trump wasn’t solely reliant on Obama’s budget being a major driver of the markets. It had more to do with him, than it did Obama. All you have to do is look at the market jump after he was elected. That’s not Obama. That’s the markets understanding that the status quo was changing, for the better. Obama’s policies helped, I’ll give you that, but credit is due to Trump for the first year.

So why did we get the bump in the market when Trump was elected? Coincidence? Or could it have to do with his pro-growth agenda he campaigned on? The entire media and liberal base thought the world was going to come crashing down when Trump was elected. There were many people claiming Trump would send us into another Great Recession. The markets took off because of the prospects of deregulation, tax regulation, an infrastructure plan and other pro business items he talked about. Yes, Obama had things heading in the right direction, but to Trump deserves credit for what we’ve seen so far.

Now, as you pointed out, we’re getting more and more of his policies and some of those are significantly different than what the markets/street expected. We’ll see if he can continue his good economic trend through his presidency. He’s essentially at the put up or shut up phase. He’s started following through on some of this policies like taxes and de-regulation (thank GOD Dodd Frank is going away), now he has to keep it going. One year can be a fluke and all bluster, to continue a winning streak like we hope for will take continued, meausure pro-growth policies.

Markets are increasing because of the hope of extra tax dollars going to companies and like you said deregulation of banking (which I believe too much deregulation is a bad thing and will explain below).

When will markets and Republicans learn that deregulation at the amount they want isn't a good thing ? I work with banks a lot and they want to make the riskier deals but they can't right now....too much risk...however, deregulation will allow them to start being stupid again. It is like we never learn. We had the collapse caused by deregulation by Reagan....we had the collapse caused by deregulation by Clinton and Bush.....it will just repeat itself like normal. Trump has already said he wants to get rid of it all which is idiotic. I agree it goes overboard....but don't be a moron about it and repeat history. Like I said, history is there for a reason....learn from it....

Next point.....It is Obama as well. Government employs like 15-20% of the country's workforce. Government spending affects a lot of other jobs out there and helps the overall GDP with the multipliers. The prior President has a big impact on the first year if you are too worried about repealing Obamacare. In his defense, Obama was too worried about Obamacare at the beginning as well instead of working on that and the economy more.

The tax impact. As we have learned from Reagan, trickle down economics (which is what Trump is saying will happen) doesn't work to create surpluses because well the rich never reallocate it to the poorer people in this country. Or at least it didn't under Reagan. Federal debt increased significantly. His tax cuts were offset by the elimination of tax shelters for the rich. He also had to do post tax increases to offset the significant budget deficits he had which racked up more debt. Personally, I favor the Warren Buffet method which is the flat tax. Personally, I have to hire a tax lawyer because of my wife's business and family money and I just want to blow my brains out.

Pro-growth policies have 10X the risk though. Reagan was the problem for the 1990 crash. Companies had too much debt from the deregulation of banks by Reagan and like any other economy...a struggle in oil prices and growth....companies start to fall....Clinton and Bush deregulated the financial markets, lending to bad debtors, etc.....another crash......

Who were the top two Presidents in terms of stock market performance of the last 15: 1) Bill Clinton 2) Obama...........we will see where Trump lands at the end of his presidency.

Reactions: SNU0821
I couldn't even qualify as a spectator at the economics Olympics, let alone a participant, so excuse the really basic question I had even when President Obama was in office...

Why do we care so much about the Dow? I've long had the impression that the stock market contributes to the misplaced priority of appeasing shareholders at the expense of the little guy. In the insurance industry, for example**, the practice of rejecting initial claims and playing the odds that not everyone will appeal is pretty unethical (and illegal?) and it puts the shareholders' $ ahead of the service to the policy holder.

(** I recognize this is likely a huge oversimplification, but I'm not interested so much in the accuracies of that specific example as I am in the idea that the stock market potentially compromises service and contributes to the income gap in unethical ways.)

Markets are increasing because of the hope of extra tax dollars going to companies and like you said deregulation of banking (which I believe too much deregulation is a bad thing and will explain below).

When will markets and Republicans learn that deregulation at the amount they want isn't a good thing ? I work with banks a lot and they want to make the riskier deals but they can't right now....too much risk...however, deregulation will allow them to start being stupid again. It is like we never learn. We had the collapse caused by deregulation by Reagan....we had the collapse caused by deregulation by Clinton and Bush.....it will just repeat itself like normal. Trump has already said he wants to get rid of it all which is idiotic. I agree it goes overboard....but don't be a moron about it and repeat history. Like I said, history is there for a reason....learn from it....

Next point.....It is Obama as well. Government employs like 15-20% of the country's workforce. Government spending affects a lot of other jobs out there and helps the overall GDP with the multipliers. The prior President has a big impact on the first year if you are too worried about repealing Obamacare. In his defense, Obama was too worried about Obamacare at the beginning as well instead of working on that and the economy more.

The tax impact. As we have learned from Reagan, trickle down economics (which is what Trump is saying will happen) doesn't work to create surpluses because well the rich never reallocate it to the poorer people in this country. Or at least it didn't under Reagan. Federal debt increased significantly. His tax cuts were offset by the elimination of tax shelters for the rich. He also had to do post tax increases to offset the significant budget deficits he had which racked up more debt. Personally, I favor the Warren Buffet method which is the flat tax. Personally, I have to hire a tax lawyer because of my wife's business and family money and I just want to blow my brains out.

Pro-growth policies have 10X the risk though. Reagan was the problem for the 1990 crash. Companies had too much debt from the deregulation of banks by Reagan and like any other economy...a struggle in oil prices and growth....companies start to fall....Clinton and Bush deregulated the financial markets, lending to bad debtors, etc.....another crash......

Who were the top two Presidents in terms of stock market performance of the last 15: 1) Bill Clinton 2) Obama...........we will see where Trump lands at the end of his presidency.
I won't pretend to be an expert on the economy. I look at your post as intelligent and informative. For all I know you could be fully correct, or it is an opinion based on personal bias. But thank you for sharing.

I couldn't even qualify as a spectator at the economics Olympics, let alone a participant, so excuse the really basic question I had even when President Obama was in office...

Why do we care so much about the Dow? I've long had the impression that the stock market contributes to the misplaced priority of appeasing shareholders at the expense of the little guy. In the insurance industry, for example**, the practice of rejecting initial claims and playing the odds that not everyone will appeal is pretty unethical (and illegal?) and it puts the shareholders' $ ahead of the service to the policy holder.

(** I recognize this is likely a huge oversimplification, but I'm not interested so much in the accuracies of that specific example as I am in the idea that the stock market potentially compromises service and contributes to the income gap in unethical ways.)
I am with you on this datt. And I know I was the one that brought it up. But it was because so many people said tge market would collapse if Trump won the election. They were wrong in massive ways. But I don't get how it all works or what it even means for people like you and me. It does seem to be a measuring tool against or for whoever is president. Probably wrongfully, though.

Definitely not an expert here!

A lot of people definitely made bad predictions about what would happen when Trump took over. The world did not end :)

And while the stock market is obviously a good indicator of overall economic health, yes, sometimes it is not the full story. Think about it: if they got rid of almost all regulation, I’m sure stocks would react positively… But the average American would probably have a better chance of getting ****ed than of getting rich.

Not trying to move the goalposts, and obviously the stock market is important. But it is not the end-all and be-all.

Don’t disagree with most of this. But I deal with the largest banks in the country (I primarily deal with debt/equity/cash management for a Fortune 10 company) as well. The regulations like Dodd Frank were an overreach and a nightmare for our country IMO. There is definitely a happy medium to be found between the two sides of deregulation and increased regulation.

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago
Cue "She should have said something earlier....she could have been more proactive.....it's easy to publicly chastised your POTUS father in the media when he protects your every move.......

It is SO bizarre to me that Trump CAUSED the issue... literally caused it... like, it's a fact... he directed his AG to do this... nobody was upset earlier because this didn't happen under Bush or Obama... and now, a month later, he is supposed to get credit for ending it? I honestly feel like I am taking crazy pills here. Can anyone on the right on this forum explain this in a logical, factual way?

WTF with Peter Fonda. What an asshole. Glad he seemed to realize it and apologized... but wtf?

Woof. Steven Schmidt, one of the top Republican strategists in the country for decades. He gets it.

It is SO bizarre to me that Trump CAUSED the issue... literally caused it... like, it's a fact... he directed his AG to do this... nobody was upset earlier because this didn't happen under Bush or Obama... and now, a month later, he is supposed to get credit for ending it? I honestly feel like I am taking crazy pills here. Can anyone on the right on this forum explain this in a logical, factual way?

WTF with Peter Fonda. What an asshole. Glad he seemed to realize it and apologized... but wtf?
Can you see the value in enforcing laws we all ready have....in general? When laws are written and not followed consistently....does it make them less effective? in general? I agree something needed to be done about families being separated, but it does no good to have laws in place that aren't enforced. Its an ugly business, but we sure seem to have a border/illegal alien problem, yet nobody knows what the fix is...

Mike Hayden, 4 star general and veteran, former director of the NSA and CIA, assigned by a Republican president....

This is a man who has served our nation for decades, who has served in some of the toughest places on earth.

Can you see the value in enforcing laws we all ready have....in general? When laws are written and not followed consistently....does it make them less effective? in general? I agree something needed to be done about families being separated, but it does no good to have laws in place that aren't enforced. Its an ugly business, but we sure seem to have a border/illegal alien problem, yet nobody knows what the fix is...

Sure, but the same way I don't encourage the police to pull over someone going one mile over the speed limit, I don't encourage this.

I'm sorry man. I'm sorry. But I don't see using kids and families as political pawns as okay. I just don't. That's what happened here. The President said as much. Republicans own the Legislative and Executive branch. Send new bills to the WH for signatures. Find a solution.

But come ON, man. At some point you have to be a decent human being.

I don't expect the President to be one. He has shown, time and time and time again, that is not, even back when he was a member of the Democratic New York City elite.

But the rest of us, right and left... we have to be.

Wait, and T, you dodged what I asked.

You know that Trump caused this; on May 7, the AG, under direction from the White House, announced this new "zero tolerance" policy.

Why does anyone expect Trump get credit now for "solving a crisis" when HE caused the crisis by A) pushing this new policy and B) failing to lead us to some sort of immigration reform, given that he as a Republican leader has a Republican legislative to work with?

BTW... the simple action of supporting a draft dodger like Donald Trump over a guy like Mike Hayden... ESPECIALLY by people who SAY they love our military and respect our military and our veterans...

Well, I don't get it.

Please. PLEASE MAGA. Because we aren't great right now.
That is your opinion. I’m honestly done with the political threads. This has been the worst offseason I’ve had on this board and I’ve been here for a long time. It’s the same thing in every thread

Republicans: Trump is an asshole but a lot of his policies are doing well for our country. I’ll take positive policies with a foul mouth every day. His job isn’t to protect people from bad words, it’s go put this country in a position to be successful, which he has done for the most part.

Democrats: Trump sucks and will never amount to any good. We will criticize him until our faces turn blue even though we couldn’t beat him because of the shit candidate we put out.

I’d much rather talk about how Kentucky is going smack Duke in the mouth in November. I’m ready for college ball. I’m going to do my best to stay out of these the rest of the summer. If that means hardly posting then that’s fine. I get there really isn’t much else to talk about this time of year, but this is tiring. Let’s see how much self control I have.

ADVERTISEMENT