ADVERTISEMENT

Romeo

Gassnola and Gatto both knew if they ever mentioned anything illegal with me, paying a kid, that would be the end of the conversation, and Adidas would no longer represent the University of Louisville,” Pitino said.
RollLaugh

I have not paid attention to this thread in a while. Can anyone summarize for me so I can be informed and not care instead of just not caring out of ignorance?

I have not paid attention to this thread in a while. Can anyone summarize for me so I can be informed and not care instead of just not caring out of ignorance?
Pitino pointed out how Romeo's dad took money from Adidas to keep him from going to Nike school.

Ah, great. So now the lunatic UNC fans will have something to blame for us not landing him. Awesome.
Did you guys really consider UNC a contender for him? IMO, it came down to Vandy and IU with Kansas in the rearview.

I think back to when UK was sponsored by Converse and cringe... not to mention Apex! WTF was that all about?! Laughing
I remember Converse. I had of pair of blue white Converse weapons.

weapon-original-purple-white.jpg

Shoe companies have taken it to a new level. They are wide open. Parents are going from bankruptcy proceedings to living in million dollar homes. Shoe companies have pushed the envelope to the point of the NCAA having no credibility. What Renardo Sydney was punished for is common place now. Adidas has escalated the problem trying to become a factor in the basketball shoe industry again. Nike makes pretense of doing things above board but they are pushing the gray area into the black. Nike will not be out bid. It is silly to say a player has retained his amateurism when his parents have received hundreds of thousands of dollars because of his basketball skills. Bankrupt plumbers being paid to run high profile basketball programs is a huge stretch.

Shoe companies have taken it to a new level. They are wide open. Parents are going from bankruptcy proceedings to living in million dollar homes. Shoe companies have pushed the envelope to the point of the NCAA having no credibility. What Renardo Sydney was punished for is common place now. Adidas has escalated the problem trying to become a factor in the basketball shoe industry again. Nike makes pretense of doing things above board but they are pushing the gray area into the black. Nike will not be out bid. It is silly to say a player has retained his amateurism when his parents have received hundreds of thousands of dollars because of his basketball skills. Bankrupt plumbers being paid to run high profile basketball programs is a huge stretch.

Sydney was punished for receiving other funds outside of the AAU agreement and lying to investigators. His dad was a “Reebok Consultant”. This is the extra money they had to pay back. The person we are talking about in Romeo doesn’t live in a million dollar home or have fancy cars.

Reactions: Montana48
Much like being a Nike consultant and getting paid to run an AAU program. Plumbers make excellent sports apparel consultants.

“The way they phrased it, it was whoever [shoe company] was going to pay the dad’s AAU program the most money, gets it,” said Pitino in a recent phone interview. A few days later, Adidas’s league added a new team: Twenty Two Vision, featuring Romeo Langford on the court and Tim Langford as team director. Shoe company sponsorships can reach $100,000 to $150,000, and team directors who limit expenses can pay themselves salaries from those amounts.

“That’s the way that world works,” Pitino said. “Which is completely legal, by the way.”

“Kansas, it pushed it out for me (talking about the scandal”, Tim Langford said. “Just having the name on your school. I didn’t take them out of the three verbally, but in my mind we just didn’t want him going there and anybody asking him that type of question. So, we don’t want him going to school there, we don’t care how good the basketball is.”

“(Adidas) knew that Nike and Under Armour were going to make a run for him,” Pitino said. “I didn’t want him going to Nike or Under Armour .?.?. because then, he would’ve gone to Kentucky or somewhere else. .?.?. I would’ve had no chance.”

Much like being a Nike consultant and getting paid to run an AAU program. Plumbers make excellent sports apparel consultants.

LOL. One is allowed per the NCAA. One isn't. That is the difference. Who said the NCAA didn't have stupid rules?

Pitino pointed out how Romeo's dad took money from Adidas to keep him from going to Nike school.
Pretty sure I called that like 2 pages into this thread. Not saying I'm a genius, just saying it was obvious he was going to an Adidas school when his dad was given an Adidas AAU team. Perfectly legal, but explains why Duke and Kentucky backed away.
When ppl listen to his interview, they can't miss Pitino's shot at Duke.
Which interview? didn't see any shot at Duke in the KSR interview you posted.

"Those are sweet, but we can also thank Converse for the denim unis"

BOO!

bring them back! done with nike. If uk had a ad that gave a fig about the bb program he would split with nike and espn. Brink back converse and the flashy denim jerseys of one of uks most dominant teams and put all uk games on pay per view so that uk gets the money from uk fans instead of the tobacco road coalition at espn and cbs.

I like the idea of PPV for UK games. If any team could pull that off, it's UK.

Half of the top 10 rated games every year is UK playing someone.

Reactions: MOX-MOX
This thread is more about Romeos'd Dad being a ASS CLOWN and getting his bad karma back 10 fold after his two faced KU remarks at Romeos announcement, BTW beings its being unmentioned in this thread so far, KU has been implicated in 0 allegations and tin Langfords personal funded 150k AAU team that now does not exist

Reactions: npreston
This thread is more about Romeos'd Dad being a ASS CLOWN and getting his bad karma back 10 fold after his two faced KU remarks at Romeos announcement, BTW beings its being unmentioned in this thread so far, KU has been implicated in 0 allegations and tin Langfords personal funded 150k AAU team that now does not exist

lol you realize coaching a sponsored AAU team is legal right? I understand if this makes you feel better but at least be informed.

Vandy fan here: Romeo’s recruitment ruled my every thought since last November till his announcement. I definitely thought for stretches we actually had him. What a ride. When he visited for the Florida game (amazing game that day btw) the vibe was STRONG. Romeo was quoted that day saying “I want to play with other great players” ala Darius and Simi.

All that being said, it was really fun to follow his recruitment daily, but it’s the last time I’ll probably do that. No reason when all you have to do now is follow the AAU team and what shoe company is sponsoring it. All innocence lost.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Vandy fan here: Romeo’s recruitment ruled my every thought since last November till his announcement. I definitely thought for stretches we actually had him. What a ride. When he visited for the Florida game (amazing game that day btw) the vibe was STRONG. Romeo was quoted that day saying “I want to play with other great players” ala Darius and Simi.

All that being said, it was really fun to follow his recruitment daily, but it’s the last time I’ll probably do that. No reason when all you have to do now is follow the AAU team and what shoe company is sponsoring it. All innocence lost.
Yeah, Vandy getting its two of its first 5* players ever, and in the same class, just screams innocence.

Simi recruitment is widely accepted as one of the dirtiest of last year. Hell UNC told him not to visit. I'm sure you'll say something dumb like "because they knew he loved Vandy and Drew!"

I get what you're saying with why follow if the shoe company controls it. But you have donors paying good money for players and a coach who is obviously willing to use that help, so that's why you should follow it.

Yeah, Vandy getting its two of its first 5* players ever, and in the same class, just screams innocence.

Simi recruitment is widely accepted as one of the dirtiest of last year. Hell UNC told him not to visit. I'm sure you'll say something dumb like "because they knew he loved Vandy and Drew!"

I get what you're saying with why follow if the shoe company controls it. But you have donors paying good money for players and a coach who is obviously willing to use that help, so that's why you should follow it.

Nope, no dumb remarks like the one you detailed. I’m also fully aware of the reality of it all. I was only speaking on energy spent following a recruit. I am aware and agree with all of your statements.

Reactions: SloppyHopkins

I think this typically applies to top 10ish guys. We've gotten several players from non adidas AAU teams including a few with dad's/uncles who were sponsored by nike/ua. People forget these AAU teams travel all over the country for events, that's plane tickets/lodging/food for around 20 people each time. Romeos dad didn't just stick that money in their checking account.

Reactions: klize17
ADVERTISEMENT