ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions on Big 12 / SEC Challenge?

Good win by Florida. I thought they looked very good except for the stretch at the end of the first half where they had to sit Appleby and Mann. WVU is a pretty good team and it was a really close game all the way through.

Reactions: rdgtr and 954gator
Didn’t LSU blow a 7 pt lead with 1 min to go? Shit happens.

To be fair, Tech played about as shitty as they have in a long time. Turned the ball over a shit ton and took a bounty of terrible shots.

Reactions: Natienate
I’m glad we moved to a Basketball Conference...

good win florida. they overcame suspect officiating and made shots. wvu missed some

Good game WV!

Dereck Culver (28 pts, 12 reb, 3 stls) was a difficult match-up to handle. I can't believe that guy got 21 pts on Florida by the first half. The game went back and forth between West Virginia and Florida - neither team could get a huge lead over the other.

Coach White had three different Florida centers (Payne, Jitoboh & Castleton) take turns guarding Culver without not much success - at least in the first half. I think that White did it so that Colin Castleton (21 pts, 7 reb, 5 blocks) doesn't get in early foul trouble who was THE player of the game for Florida in the 2nd half. Coach White also played almost the entire bench as 11 different Florida players scored and made other contributions.

The marquee match-up between Florida's Tre Mann and WVU's Miles McBride did not materialize as they each scored only 9 points each. Both of those players came in averaging about 15 ppg 4 A. McBride did have 9 assists but was 0-6 from 3pt-range while Mann's outside shooting helped Florida make a comeback.

WVU's Sean McNeil (21 pts, 5/11 from 3 pt range) was also outstanding in keeping the Mountaineers' hopes alive in this game. How did Kentucky let such a good bomber from long range get away - McNeil is from Union, KY. Florida countered with Noah Locke (19 pts, 4/7 from 3 pt-range).

Last edited:
Did the SEC get any home games in this thing? Jesus

It seemed like most of the games were hosted by Big12 teams and they were.

5 home games for B12: OU(W), K-St(L), WVU(L), Baylor(W), Okie St(W) ==> 3-2 (B12)

4 home games for SEC: LSU(L), Mizzou(W), Tenn (winning by 20 pts), Miss St(winning by 30+ pts)
==> ?3-1 (SEC)

Last edited:
It seemed like most of the games were hosted by Big12 teams and they were.

5 home games for B12: OU(W), K-St(L), WVU(L), Baylor(W), Okie St(W) ==> 3-2

4 home games for SEC: LSU(L), Mizzou(W), Tenn (winning by 20 pts), Miss St(winning by 30+ pts)
==> ?3-1
yeah seems SEC got home games on the mismatches (save UT/KU)

Last edited:
It was a great game - both teams came to play no doubt and of course I didn't expect the Gators to win, but something has def changed with this team in the last 3 weeks especially since Keyontae (thank you God) got better

Colin Castleton (21 pts, 5 blcks 7 reb) played with great mental toughness - he had ice water in his veins going 9/9 at the free throw line. Noah Locke (19 pts, 4/7 from 3 pts range) had a great game while Appleby and Mann were both solid but had their moments when they had t close out the game. Florida's bench was outstanding contributing 20 pts, 13 reb,..

Reactions: Gatoralum2000
SEC

yeah seems SEC got home games on the mismatches (save UT/KU)

However, it looks like the SEC could win this challenge this year by going 5-4.

We missed out on a good game between #5 Texas at Kentucky - I would have liked to see how (ex-UF assistant) Shaka Smart's Longhorns would have done in Rupp Arena. The Big12 could have tied the SEC in this challenge!

The Alabama loss was surprising to me - congrat's to (former UF head coach) Lon Kruger's Oklahoma team. Some would also say that Florida's win was surprising, too.

Auburn getting partied on...
If that was a party, then what is Tennessee doing to Kansas?
dd0.png

However, it looks like the SEC could win this challenge this year by going 5-4.

We missed out on a good game between #5 Texas at Kentucky - I would have liked to see how (ex-UF assistant) Shaka Smart's Longhorns would have done in Rupp Arena. The Big12 could have tied the SEC in this challenge!

The Alabama loss was surprising to me - congrat's to (former UF head coach) Lon Kruger's Oklahoma team. Some would also say that Florida's win was surprising, too.
Haven't we tied the last few years?

Good game WV!

Dereck Culver (28 pts, 12 reb, 3 stls) was a difficult match-up to handle. I can't believe that guy got 21 pts on Florida by the first half. The game went back and forth between West Virginia and Florida - neither team could get a huge lead over the other.

Coach White had three different Florida centers (Payne, Jitoboh & Castleton) take turns guarding Culver without not much success - at least in the first half. I think that White did it so that Colin Castleton (21 pts, 7 reb, 5 blocks) doesn't get in early foul trouble who was THE player of the game for Florida in the 2nd half. Coach White also played almost the entire bench as 11 different Florida players scored and made other contributions.

The marquee match-up between Florida's Tre Mann and WVU's Miles McBride did not materialize as they each scored only 9 points each. Both of those players came in averaging about 15 ppg 4 A. McBride did have 9 assists but was 0-6 from 3pt-range while Mann's outside shooting helped Florida make a comeback.
mcbride was off for sure but you survived culver getting to the line at will and going 14/17 when he’s really not a good foul shooter

Reactions: rdgtr
I picked them all right except Florida beating WVU. Florida just played harder. I would hate to be a player for Huggins right now..next couple of days wont be pretty.

WVU has times with athleticism at times.
Huggins trying to get some more Texas players up there. Taz Sherman played high school ball not too far from me. Johnson is from SOC in Dallas. Hungry there.

Crazy thing is WVU has a series lead in baseball and not basketball against Texas.
You would think the other way around

WVU has times with athleticism at times.
Huggins trying to get some more Texas players up there. Taz Sherman played high school ball not too far from me. Johnson is from SOC in Dallas. Hungry there.

Crazy thing is WVU has a series lead in baseball and not basketball against Texas.
You would think the other way around
i’ve really enjoyed how seriously wvu committed to baseball, it’s also more fun to watch a good team obviously

Good stadium. WVU could draw 10K for a baseball if they continue the effort.
TCU has dropped off some since Mazey left as assistant coach.
to me it’s having a new avenue of interest for me with the university so it’s gravy and imo it’s kind of cool that they made a good hire and renovated stadium (opinion) because they’re trying to fit with the big12. baseball has always been my favorite sport

I predict the SEC wins 5-4 with Texas chickening out at the thought of having to deal with the awesome might of Kentucky.

I picked them all right except Florida beating WVU. Florida just played harder. I would hate to be a player for Huggins right now..next couple of days wont be pretty.
Honestly WVU was solid. If they played that game (@WV) ten times WV wins at least 7 IMO. That being said Florida’s offense is starting to gel and despite losing KJ (by far best player), they are starting to look like they have some good depth.

We had to execute at an extremely high level to win today. I thought they said Culver was an avg FT shooter??? WTF!?

Reactions: Big ol arms
ADVERTISEMENT