ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

It’s not about playing time. It’s about money. Lynn Kidd just transferred from VT to Miami after starting his career at Clemson. All that matters now is NIL. The fact that they can transfer without sitting just makes it pay for play. I’m losing interest in the sport because of it.
Yep.....I mean still want IU to "win"---but its less inviting.

Reactions: jhmossy
Eff Storr, we gots Zeke, bitches!

I worry about some of the mid-majors transferring up (i.e. Nick Timberlake), but the Summit League guys have done really well lately. Baylor Scheierman, Grant Nelson, Max Abmas, and Sam Griesel were all playing at an elite level this year. I think Zeke Mayo should be fine.

What's your projected/hopeful starting 5?

I worry about some of the mid-majors transferring up (i.e. Nick Timberlake), but the Summit League guys have done really well lately. Baylor Scheierman, Grant Nelson, Max Abmas, and Sam Griesel were all playing at an elite level this year. I think Zeke Mayo should be fine.

What's your projected/hopeful starting 5?

As of today, I'm guessing Harris/Mayo/Furphy/Adams/Dickinson.

If Furphy stays in the draft, I think they'll push hard for McNeeley.

Reactions: KisteK
As of today, I'm guessing Harris/Mayo/Furphy/Adams/Dickinson.

If Furphy stays in the draft, I think they'll push hard for McNeeley.

Sheesh. That starting 5, with Furphy, could be punishing.

If Furphy leaves, Riley Kugel is talented enough to start, as well. He just needs to regain some confidence.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Sheesh. That starting 5, with Furphy, could be punishing.

If Furphy leaves, Riley Kugel is talented enough to start, as well. He just needs to regain some confidence.

A lot of KU fans aren't excited about seeing both Harris and KJ in the starting lineup again, but expecting Self to recruit over either is a pipedream. I'd like to see their minutes reduced in favor of players with more shooting ability though. And hopefully KJ will extend his shooting range at least slightly to help with spacing.

Will be interesting to see if Kugel can thrive in Self's system. The freshman class is interesting too. Passmore and Bidunga are athletic freaks with a lot of potential.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'm a little bit interested in Darlinstone Dubar think the Vols make a run there

So much freaking talent in the portal. This was just from the past 2 days or so:

Johnell Davis, FAU
Vlad Goldin, FAU
Kerr Kriisa, West Virginia
Roddy Gayle, Ohio State
Great Osobor, Utah State
Ian Martinez, Utah State
Shakeel Moore, Mississippi State
Jaeden Zackery, Boston College
Tre Donaldson, Auburn
Trey Townsend, Oakland
Viktor Lahkin, Cincinnati
Javian McCollum, Oklahoma

I'm guessing Duke will lose its entire starting backcourt of Roach, Proctor, and McCain. Would love to get another elite guard to pair with Caleb Foster. Johnell Davis would be #1 on my wish list. I might be willing to settle for a J'Vonne Hadley, Roddy Gayle, or Tony Perkins.

So much freaking talent in the portal. This was just from the past 2 days or so:

Johnell Davis, FAU
Vlad Goldin, FAU
Roddy Gayle, Ohio State
Great Osobor, Utah State
Ian Martinez, Utah State
Tre Donaldson, Auburn
Trey Townsend, Oakland

I'm guessing Duke will lose its entire starting backcourt of Roach, Proctor, and McCain. Would love to get another elite guard to pair with Caleb Foster. Johnell Davis would be #1 on my wish list. I might be willing to settle for a J'Vonne Hadley, Roddy Gayle, or Tony Perkins.
I believe either Foster or Roach will be back, but not both.

Johnell Davis, FAU
Vlad Goldin, FAU
Roddy Gayle, Ohio State
Great Osobor, Utah State
Ian Martinez, Utah State
Tre Donaldson, Auburn
Trey Townsend, Oakland

I wonder if Davis and Goldin follow Dusty May. Michigan has had trouble getting transfers in the last couple of years (had Caleb Love and someone else...don't remember who).

I believe either Foster or Roach will be back, but not both.

I feel 95% confident that Foster will be back, and Roach will move on.

I wonder if Davis and Goldin follow Dusty May. Michigan has had trouble getting transfers in the last couple of years (had Caleb Love and someone else...don't remember who).

Either of those guys could play almost anywhere in the country. But yes, I'd suspect Michigan is the most likely destination. Both guys could command serious money, so not unfathomable for a school with a heavy purse to steal them from UM.

Reactions: Blueheart32
One name that is blowing up right now in the portal is Belmont's Cade Tyson (brother of Clemson great Hunter Tyson). 6'7 wing with 2 years of eligibility.

Duke, Kentucky, and UNC are all going after this kid. His shooting splits are impressive. 49.3% fg, 46.5% 3pt (2nd in NCAA), 85.5% ft, 60.5% efg.

A lot of KU fans aren't excited about seeing both Harris and KJ in the starting lineup again, but expecting Self to recruit over either is a pipedream. I'd like to see their minutes reduced in favor of players with more shooting ability though. And hopefully KJ will extend his shooting range at least slightly to help with spacing.

Will be interesting to see if Kugel can thrive in Self's system. The freshman class is interesting too. Passmore and Bidunga are athletic freaks with a lot of potential.
Nobody is playing over Harris.
He's practically an extension of Self on the court; we watched the same love story, tho different, with BIFM.

KJ would be a dynamic piece off the bench for 25mpg.. esp w/having HD. But I'm not sure I can envision Self going that route.

Last edited:
Fellas, Houston is trying hard to poach DJ Thomas from UNLV. DJ have not even hit the portal yet. UH fans, media and coaches seems to be very confident about getting him from UNLV. We will see.

Some repercussion need to be dealt with Houston once this is over. This is not right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deepelm
Welcome to basketball in the transfer portal era:

GKafEQ0bQAAFSy2

I mean like “finish in bottom half of the ACC” levels of sucking though
Yeah, that would be new.

The defense will still win a good amount of games because it’s Bennett, but I don’t know enough about who you guys will have to render any opinion for the offense.

Reactions: jhmossy
Do you think Ryan Dunn will enter the draft?

I’m sure he’ll declare to gather more info. He has a very limited offensive game though. But he is an insane athlete and a great defender. I hope he comes back and can get a competitive enough NIL to make it worthwhile

Reactions: TKBray
It's tough to recruit really good players with Bennett's style of play, today's kids are all about run and gun, it takes a really discilpined kid to play in that system.

Yeah portal and NIL make it even harder because his program requires continuity. Wouldn’t surprise me if he hangs it up in the next few years. He’s got a face for TV

Reactions: GE Nole and kyjeff1
Yeah portal and NIL make it even harder because his program requires continuity. Wouldn’t surprise me if he hangs it up in the next few years. He’s got a face for TV
Hopefully he decides to stay in it and change it up. You can still play great D in a high possession game. He could make it work.

Hopefully he decides to stay in it and change it up. You can still play great D in a high possession game. He could make it work.
I was actually just thinking the same thing. Just because they play good defense doesn’t mean he has to coach “make your eyes bleed” offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
I was actually just thinking the same thing. Just because they play good defense doesn’t mean he has to trash “make your eyes bleed” offense.

As someone who watches every game, I would also prefer that. The offense can be pretty when we have guys who can make shots. But yeah it’s really ugly a lot of the time

I could see this too. In the 2022-23 season I asked him about the portal and everything and he gave a really honest, thoughtful, and insightful answer…that led me to believe he didn’t enjoy the new way.

I could see this too. In the 2022-23 season I asked him about the portal and everything and he gave a really honest, thoughtful, and insightful answer…that led me to believe he didn’t enjoy the new way.

Wow, I would really love to hear what he said. I understand if you want that to remain private though.

I doubt many coaches like it. Makes their job a lot harder. I did get a kick out of Pearl crying about his players that aren’t even in the portal supposedly being contacted by others with more lucrative NIL offers. Must suck when the shady tactics are coming from the opposite direction. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: GE Nole and jhmossy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT