ADVERTISEMENT

Pet Peeves about your Own Coach.

I think Roy could benefit from the 4 out and 1 in offense as a change of pace. I think his freelance offense has worked well in the past when he has done this. And yes, at times I think calling a TO would be nice, like with this team. With a veteran talented club I don't think it matters. Mainly, I wish he would alter the way he helps on D.

Auburn gets a lead and goes matchup zone and gives up multiple wide open threes.
****ing rat. I hate this guy. This is a total rat. He was ratting on The Heat’s Derrick Jones because he couldn’t his player to qualify... Jones had to sit out because of this ass

Cal’s quick trigger on reserves seems to always really affect at least 1 or 2 players per year.

It gets in their heads, they overthink, screw up immediately, and get taken out. Vicious cycle.

It’s particularly maddening when it happens to certain guys and then others will be allowed to play through 5 straight mistakes.

I trust Cal, but he’s screwed this up more than a few times, most recently with Auburn in the tourney and Jemarl Baker.

We let inferior teams play close to us.

I’m sure we will let UK beat us Saturday on purpose to let their fans on here feel good and talk shit about how many free throws we take.....

It happens :)

Matt Painter yells "move" at least 75 times per game. Sucks that he has to constantly remind players that they play in a motion offense.

Reactions: olsonab
My petlpeave my coach right now is that he won’t play the AUU game....

****ing rat. I hate this guy. This is a total rat. He was ratting on The Heat’s Derrick Jones because he couldn’t his player to qualify... Jones had to sit out because of this ass

giphy.gif

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I hate everything about Cal's offense. His leaving shooting up to individuals on their own time to simulate what its like in the NBA seems to only work for 1 guy on our team a year and not good for the rest of the guards and wings... seems about right for 18-20 year olds... only 1 out of 6 will be mature enough to be responsible on their own.. also having a coach get on to you for not keeping up the proper shot mechanics is needed for the majority of college players.

His love of 2 bigs clogging the lane is so 80's....

But his Defense is incredible and so is his recruiting.. just wish he'd get an assistant that knows shooting and offense.

I think Roy could benefit from the 4 out and 1 in offense as a change of pace. I think his freelance offense has worked well in the past when he has done this. And yes, at times I think calling a TO would be nice, like with this team. With a veteran talented club I don't think it matters. Mainly, I wish he would alter the way he helps on D.

It worked pretty well when he had PJ Hairston at the 4, but that was more out of necessity.

Agree on the timeouts. I wonder if having a really young team next year will make him call a few more throughout the game.

I cannot stand how Hamilton is so conservative with 2-foul participation in the first half. It flat out cost us the Pitt game. Often times the guys he sits for 10+ minutes end the game with 2 or 3 fouls total.

I used to get on him about taking on too many big man projects all at once, but he’s been better about that the last 3-4 years.

I always thought Self took a lazier approach when we play in stillwater and waited too long in a couple losses to get in our players asses, resulting in some silly loses on the road to less talented teams.

I always thought Self took a lazier approach when we play in stillwater and waited too long in a couple losses to get in our players asses, resulting in some silly loses on the road to less talented teams.
That’s how he pays into Oklahoma State’s endowment for being an alumni. The head coach of Kansas can’t exactly be giving away money to a rival program (or can he?) so he pays them back by letting OSU win a big upset every now and then. He doesn’t have to lose any of his nest egg and the Oklahoma State fan base is happy with the notoriety. It’s the only thing that makes sense as far as his record looks compared to everybody else in the conference.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I hate everything about Cal's offense. His leaving shooting up to individuals on their own time to simulate what its like in the NBA seems to only work for 1 guy on our team a year and not good for the rest of the guards and wings... seems about right for 18-20 year olds... only 1 out of 6 will be mature enough to be responsible on their own.. also having a coach get on to you for not keeping up the proper shot mechanics is needed for the majority of college players.

His love of 2 bigs clogging the lane is so 80's....

But his Defense is incredible and so is his recruiting.. just wish he'd get an assistant that knows shooting and offense.
I also hate the one play he draws up at time outs;

"OK guys, I want whoever has the ball with about 9 seconds left on the shot clock to pass it to Hagans. Hagans, I then want you to drive into a flurry of defensive players standing a foot in front of the basket, and drive a little too far under the basket and throw up some wild-ass shot from practically behind the backboard.

I want all you open guys to just sit tight and watch. We're gonna try it until it works!"

_M2I9122.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to get on him about taking on too many big man projects all at once, but he’s been better about that the last 3-4 years.

Did you tell him that directly?

Btw, what happened to Balsa? Wasn't he a top-10 recruit for most of his high school career?

That’s how he pays into Oklahoma State’s endowment for being an alumni. The head coach of Kansas can’t exactly be giving away money to a rival program (or can he?) so he pays them back by letting OSU win a big upset every now and then. He doesn’t have to lose any of his nest egg and the Oklahoma State fan base is happy with the notoriety. It’s the only thing that makes sense as far as his record looks compared to everybody else in the conference.

I feel like a lot of alumni or people with close ties tend to mail it in against said teams. Which is why Turgeon gets obliterated every time he plays KU (aside from being a mediocre coach). Same for Roy vs KU.

ADVERTISEMENT