ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon - Sleeper?

I say it’s not close because it isn’t. I’ve backed up my point with data from the best model in college basketball. You’ve presented nothing to show those three leagues are better than the pac this year
What am I supposed to show? I told you it was my opinion. Again, the models you reference are purely stat based. Like I said, they can't rate quality of competition. Say team A gets to play in the worst conference in America, not a single team over .500 other than them and there is no talent anywhere. Or, let's even say the other teams are good, but the talent level isn't up to par with a typical major conference. Team A racks up excellent offensive and defensive efficiency numbers because they play a bunch of blind, one-legged midgets every game. Team B, who is clearly better than Team A but also plays much better competition, has lower efficiency stats because it's harder to score on and defend the teams they are playing. Take Gonzaga as an example. Of course, they are great, and would be at or near the top of any conference. However, we all realize the talent level in the WCC (other than Gonzaga) is not equivalent to the talent level in the Big 10, for example. Do we think Gonzaga's efficiency ratings would be better or worse playing a Big 10 schedule as opposed to a WCC schedule? It's impossible to account for differences in talent/ability is all I am saying, and Pomeroy acknowledges that. I am not discounting Kenpom at all, just saying it doesn't tell the whole story. I know he tweaked his formula and also incorporates something about Sagarin's SOS now, but SOS doesn't account for talent disparity either, only wins/losses.

What am I supposed to show? I told you it was my opinion. Again, the models you reference are purely stat based. Like I said, they can't rate quality of competition. Say team A gets to play in the worst conference in America, not a single team over .500 other than them and there is no talent anywhere. Or, let's even say the other teams are good, but the talent level isn't up to par with a typical major conference. Team A racks up excellent offensive and defensive efficiency numbers because they play a bunch of blind, one-legged midgets every game. Team B, who is clearly better than Team A but also plays much better competition, has lower efficiency stats because it's harder to score on and defend the teams they are playing. Take Gonzaga as an example. Of course, they are great, and would be at or near the top of any conference. However, we all realize the talent level in the WCC (other than Gonzaga) is not equivalent to the talent level in the Big 10, for example. Do we think Gonzaga's efficiency ratings would be better or worse playing a Big 10 schedule as opposed to a WCC schedule? It's impossible to account for differences in talent/ability is all I am saying, and Pomeroy acknowledges that. I am not discounting Kenpom at all, just saying it doesn't tell the whole story. I know he tweaked his formula and also incorporates something about Sagarin's SOS now, but SOS doesn't account for talent disparity either, only wins/losses.

You’ve still presented no reason to believe any of those conferences are better. All the relevant data shows the opposite

You’ve still presented no reason to believe any of those conferences are better. All the relevant data shows the opposite
Again, it's my opinion, and I'm not out here trying to prove something that is impossible to prove one way or the other. Unless we are having a round robin between the Pac-12 and these other conferences in question it's a waste of air.

That’s fair. All the relevant data says the opposite. But you can double and triple down all you want
I have already pointed out the irrelevancies of the relevant data you presented. There is no metric to measure talent disparity, period. We won't agree on it, and that's fine.

I have already pointed out the irrelevancies of the relevant data you presented. There is no metric to measure talent disparity, period. We won't agree on it, and that's fine.

PAC has more top 50 recruits and draft picks than any of those conferences. So the high school evaluators and nba scouts also agree the pac 12 has more talent. So the best mathematical formulas and professional scouts agree the PAC is better. There’s a talent disparity but not in the direction you think it is

But I’m sure you know something that everyone else is missing on

PAC has more top 50 recruits and draft picks than any of those conferences. So the high school evaluators and nba scouts also agree the pac 12 has more talent. So the best mathematical formulas and professional scouts agree the PAC is better. There’s a talent disparity but in the direction you think it is

But I’m sure you know something that everyone else is missing on
Well Kenpom can't predict coaching ability and player development (or lack of) either, but you're still my homie. I am sure the Pac-12 had more top 50 recruits in 2019 too, when the AAC had more teams in the dance.

Well Kenpom can't predict coaching ability (or lack of) either, but you're still my homie. I am sure the Pac-12 had more top 50 recruits in 2019 too, when the AAC had more teams in the dance.

Coaching is implicit in the results. That’s absolutely accounted for. Again you failed to provide even one valid argument in favor of your vain. First you argued the MWC is better because it’s deeper, that got proven to be demonstrably false. Then you argued the statistics were off because the talent in the MWC is a lot better, that was proven to be wrong.

It’s just hilarious to watch you double down on a stupid take rather than just admit it was a stupid take

Coaching is implicit in the results. That’s absolutely accounted for. Again you failed to provide even one valid argument in favor of your vain. First you argued the MWC is better because it’s deeper, that got proven to be demonstrably false. Then you argued the statistics were off because the talent in the MWC is a lot better, that was proven to be wrong.

It’s just hilarious to watch you double down on a stupid take rather than just admit it was a stupid take
I've already said about a dozen times I am not trying to prove anything (especially when it can't be proven unless all these teams are going to play a round robin). Also, coaching is not implicit in the results. Gonzaga could beat the shit out of most WCC opponents without a second of coaching from Mark Few. I presented the fact that merely 2 years ago (the last tourney) a mid-major sent more teams to the tournament than the Pac-12 and you're acting like it's unfathomable that any mid-major could be better than the Pac-12 this year.

I've already said about a dozen times I am not trying to prove anything (especially when it can't be proven unless all these teams are going to play a round robin). Also, coaching is not implicit in the results. Gonzaga could beat the shit out of most WCC opponents without a second of coaching from Mark Few. I presented the fact that merely 2 years ago (the last tourney) a mid-major sent more teams to the tournament than the Pac-12 and you're acting like it's unfathomable that any mid-major could be better than the Pac-12 this year.

We are talking about 2020-2021 not 1930, 1984, 2003 or anything else. This year, none of the mid majors are even close to the power conferences. All the relevant data shows that to be true and it’s not even close

Oregon beats UCLA and move into 1st place in the PAC 12. Oregon will have a chance to win the PAC 12 Regular season on Sunday at Oregon State

Oregon currently getting Tinkled on. If this continues there will be a lot of bubble teams that will be cheering for the winner of the Colorado/USC game tomorrow.

Ducks have thrown up a stinker. They just don’t play good enough defense to survive bad shooting nights

2568.png

Reactions: YellowlabOSU
ADVERTISEMENT