ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon - Sleeper?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Jan 20, 2011
Watched last couple minutes of the Oregon/AZ game yesterday, was really impressed with the guard play for Oregon. Duarte and LJ Fig are some legit big dogs. So a few questions for the junkies that have the answers...

What is the front court like for this team? I assume this is the weakness
Is this team set for a bid, if yes what kind of seed are they looking at?

I love this HC. I'd argue Altman is one of the most underrated coaches in the game.

Overall thoughts?

They'd be one of the last at large teams to make it right now. Somewhere around a 10-12 seed, leaning towards the lower end of that range.

I know they lost DFante (sp) for the season. He was a five star big man recruit a couple years ago but not exactly sure how productive he is. If nothing else he should have been good defensively as a rim protector.

I didn’t expect them to be this good, but I remember LJ from St. John’s and ur right he is a player. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them make a run. Nothing would suprise me this year. Was kindahoping drake woulda stayed undefeated so we coulda had 3 undefeated teams in the final four lol.

Reactions: duckboy33
Oregon has had some really bad luck this year. Richardson has missed most of the year with an injury, Dante is out for the season with an injury, they had two COVID pauses that were almost back to back and they have two bad losses when they had to play extremely short handed.

However, they are relatively healthy (meaning only 1 or 2 potential starters out instead of 3-4) now and I expect them to finish the season strong unless they are hit with more bad luck. They were a top 25 team until the COVID/Injuries starting adding up. I still think they are a top 25 team when they are at full strength.

Oregon has very good guard play with Richardson and Duarte and Figueroa and Omoruyi are extremely productive at the 3/4 spots. Oregon's big problem is they don't have a big time rim protector with Dante. Super Freshman (Enrolled in the winter and should be in HS) Frank Kepnang is the closest they have and he's shown some real promise. But he's very young and just got into the program.

Ducks have a huge game vs. UCLA on Wednesday. The winner will have an opportunity to win the PAC 12 regular season title in their last game.

AAC, A-10, and Mountain West are all better in my opinion.

Well your opinion is nonsense. AAC is a one bid league if Houston wins the tournament. It’s silly to even argue them.

MWC is probably the best mid major league and the top half of the MWC is only slightly behind the top half of the pac. But there’s a bigger gap when you look at the bottom half

Well your opinion is nonsense. AAC is a one bid league if Houston wins the tournament. It’s silly to even argue them.

MWC is probably the best mid major league and the top half of the MWC is only slightly behind the top half of the pac. But there’s a bigger gap when you look at the bottom half
Like I said, just my opinion. The bottom 7 in the Pac-12 are really bad though. ASU has been surprisingly bad. I thought they would contend this year. It's tough to compare conferences though, since the teams in each conference are only playing amongst each other. Maybe the Pac-12 isn't as bad as I think, just like I highly doubt the Big 10 is as good as it's being touted to be. The tourney will sort it out.

I've literally watched one Pac-12 game this year and it was when that dude from Washington State put up like 40 against Stanford. Is Pac-12 basketball really worse than ACC basketball this year because ACC is hot trash

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I've literally watched one Pac-12 game this year and it was when that dude from Washington State put up like 40 against Stanford. Is Pac-12 basketball really worse than ACC basketball this year because ACC is hot trash
Look who's back! Glad you got the posting issue sorted out. What was wrong?

Reactions: jhmossy

The ACC/BigEast/PAC 12 are all pretty close this year. I've watched a lot of all 3 leagues

Reactions: jhmossy
Like I said, just my opinion. The bottom 7 in the Pac-12 are really bad though. ASU has been surprisingly bad. I thought they would contend this year. It's tough to compare conferences though, since the teams in each conference are only playing amongst each other. Maybe the Pac-12 isn't as bad as I think, just like I highly doubt the Big 10 is as good as it's being touted to be. The tourney will sort it out.

Don't take this the wrong way but your opinion is nonsense. If you want to argue the bottom half of the PAC isn't good in comparison to the other power leagues, that's fine. I'd even agree with you. But then you don't understand how bad the bottom half of the mid major leagues you posted are.

For example here is the bottom half of the PAC vs. the bottom half of the MWC (KenPom rankings):

PAC:
Utah - 81st
Arizona State - 100th
Oregon State - 101st
Washington State - 108th
California - 166th
Washington - 182nd

MWC:
Wyoming - 187th
Fresno State - 200th
New Mexico - 291st
San Jose State - 323rd
Air Force - 327th

The bottom 5 teams in the MWC are all worse than the worst team in the PAC 12.

Then look at the top 6 of each league:

PAC:
Colorado - 16th
USC - 21st
Oregon - 39th
UCLA - 41st
Arizona - 49th
Stanford - 70th

MWC:
San Diego State - 20th
Utah State - 45th
Boise State - 53rd
Colorado State - 61st
Nevada - 97th
UNLV - 167th

It's a little bit closer but the PAC is still clearly better.

Pac12 May look ugly but they have teams I wouldn’t want to see, well colorodo, and Oregon are so stacked at the wings then usc has size everywhere and the Mobley kid is as talented as they come. UCLA is no scrub either but not the ceiling as the other 3 imo. I could see any going to the s16

I’d say they are better than the ACC this year as bad as I hate too. Idk though I can’t count out FSU and UVA. Maybe it’s pure homer but We could too , with the right matchups dodging premiere big men.

Pac12 May look ugly but they have teams I wouldn’t want to see, well colorodo, and Oregon are so stacked at the wings then usc has size everywhere and the Mobley kid is as talented as they come. UCLA is no scrub either but not the ceiling as the other 3 imo. I could see any going to the s16

I’d say they are better than the ACC this year as bad as I hate too. Idk though I can’t count out FSU and UVA. Definitely capable of Winning tourney games imo. Maybe it’s pure homer but We could too , with the right matchups dodging premiere big men.

Don't take this the wrong way but your opinion is nonsense.
And that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion as well. My main point was that the Pac-12, as a whole, is bad and has been for a while now.

I’d say they are better than the ACC this year as bad as I hate too. Idk though I can’t count out FSU and UVA. Maybe it’s pure homer but We could too , with the right matchups dodging premiere big men.
Colorado is a team you wouldn't want to play at 5,300 feet, which is a huge advantage for them. All but 1 of their 7 losses were on the road and the team that beat them in Boulder resides at 4,300 feet. 😆

Reactions: Villian07
Because the most accurate college basketball predictor says it’s not close. All other models have similar results. I’ll go with the best models in the world vs someone’s baseless opinion
Those models are based on statistics only. They do not and can not be modeled on quality of competition. They are strictly metrics of offensive and defensive efficiently. RPI and SOS are worthless in that regard too.

Those models are based on statistics only. They do not and can not be modeled on quality of competition.

The greatest basketball minds and Vegas use his model. By your logic you can’t prove UNC is better than Jackson State. It’s a nonsense argument. You’re either not that well informed or trolling. Possibly both

The greatest basketball minds and Vegas use his model. By your logic you can’t prove UNC is better than Jackson State. It’s a nonsense argument. You’re either not that well informed or trolling. Possibly both
That is not my logic at all, nor did I say it was.

No one is upset. I’m just pointing out how bad of a take this was. And it was ridiculously bad
Right, there is no way on Earth it's fathomable that there could be several mid-major conferences that are better overall than the mighty Pac-12. My bad.

I'm not talking to you. Just because you're a west coast homer doesn't mean the west coast rules. ;)
I’m just saying, you put out a farcical take. Duckboy pretty clearly proved you wrong. You yourself never put up any evidence, yet you have not budged.

Reactions: duckboy33
Right, there is no way on Earth it's fathomable that there could be several mid-major conferences that are better overall than the mighty Pac-12. My bad.

There aren’t. It’s really not close. No worries though, we all have a bad take from time to time

There aren’t. It’s really not close. No worries though, we all have a bad take from time to time
You say it's not close, because it essentially can't be proven one way or the other. So it's easy for either of us to say the other is full of shit. I do know the AAC put more teams in the last tourney than the Pac-12 did.

You say it's not close, because it essentially can't be proven one way or the other. So it's easy for either of us to say the other is full of shit. I do know the AAC put more teams in the last tourney than the Pac-12 did.

I say it’s not close because it isn’t. I’ve backed up my point with data from the best model in college basketball. You’ve presented nothing to show those three leagues are better than the pac this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT