ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

This season was really crappy for a lot of folks. I remember the grind of being a student athlete and how much of “just a number” it felt like I was at times.

And adding in COVID? Look around the world. Suicide is up. Divorce is up. Domestic abuse is up. A lot of folks just want a fresh start somewhere else and I can’t blame them. Some of y’all need to try to imagine how frustrating and isolating this season was for many of these kids.

Reactions: MGC_07 and asindc
DJ Steward declaring is a head scratcher. These kids are getting some bad advice IMO.

He's showing up in the 2nd round on some mock drafts. Not guaranteed to be drafted. There were talks of this happening for the past month or so. Being drafted is good enough for some players. So, not super surprising, especially considering Trevor Keels is pretty much a done deal. Still, he could have had a really spectacular sophomore season - and potentially moved up into 1st Round. He still has a lot to prove before he can expect to get meaningful minutes in the NBA. Might be a two-way contract player who sees more time in the G League.

Duke's starting 5 next season will most likely be:
Jeremy Roach, So
Trevor Keels, Fr
AJ Griffin, Fr
Paolo Banchero, Fr
Mark Williams, So

Key Bench: Wendell Moore, Joey Baker, Henry Coleman

He's showing up in the 2nd round on some mock drafts. Not guaranteed to be drafted. There were talks of this happening for the past month or so. Being drafted is good enough for some players. So, not super surprising, especially considering Trevor Keels is pretty much a done deal. Still, he could have had a really spectacular sophomore season - and potentially moved up into 1st Round. He still has a lot to prove before he can expect to get meaningful minutes in the NBA. Might be a two-way contract player who sees more time in the G League.

Duke's starting 5 next season will most likely be:
Jeremy Roach, So
Trevor Keels, Fr
AJ Griffin, Fr
Paolo Banchero, Fr
Mark Williams, So

Key Bench: Wendell Moore, Joey Baker, Henry Coleman

That is a good roster, but not one that looks like an ACC Title team at first blush. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: tarwhiz
This season was really crappy for a lot of folks. I remember the grind of being a student athlete and how much of “just a number” it felt like I was at times.

And adding in COVID? Look around the world. Suicide is up. Divorce is up. Domestic abuse is up. A lot of folks just want a fresh start somewhere else and I can’t blame them. Some of y’all need to try to imagine how frustrating and isolating this season was for many of these kids.
Adversity strikes everyone. I don't see how we can blame covid for an entitled generation that has been continuously getting worse before covid. As far as just being a number? Work hard and make it name for yourself. Or just leave when things get hard.

I can’t blame any kid for leaving early. It’s surprising and not optimal - but a ton of “normal,” non-athlete kids leave college early, too. At least people like Steward will be making a comfortable living somewhere, if not in the states.

I hope 4000 guys transfer this year and the NCAA realizes the stupid pandora's box they created.

Not that it would change anything because once that rabbit was let out of it's hat....

Reactions: tarwhiz
Adversity strikes everyone. I don't see how we can blame covid for an entitled generation that has been continuously getting worse before covid. As far as just being a number? Work hard and make it name for yourself. Or just leave when things get hard.

You see the point way over there? Yeah, it zoomed right over your head.

That is a good roster, but not one that looks like an ACC Title team at first blush. What are your thoughts?

Griffin, Banchero, and Williams could all be 1st Round Picks. Arguably the most talented frontline in the country. I'm excited about those three guys. Still a chance Williams leaves this year. He's the guy I want back the most.

Would have loved to kept DJ Steward for another year. I'd take him 10/10 times over Trevor Keels. DJ Steward has 1st Team All-ACC potential, whereas I don't foresee Keels making any of the All-Conference teams. Our frontcourt looks outstanding; the backcourt, on the underhand, is full of questions. We'll be looking at Roach, Keels, and Wendell Moore to shoulder the responsibility of ball-handling duties. Not completely sold on any of them. Moore might have the most potential, but he has the tendency to disappear at times. One of those three guards really needs to emerge if we're going to be an ACC title contender. Kind of seems similar to Carolina's team from this past year, where the backcourt held them back a bit. I think our backcourt should be a bit better than Carolina's, but I also wouldn't be upset if we looked at adding one big-time transfer guard to the rotation. As of now, FSU should be the preseason favorites in the ACC.

Reactions: GE Nole
Griffin, Banchero, and Williams could all be 1st Round Picks. Arguably the most talented frontline in the country. I'm excited about those three guys. Still a chance Williams leaves this year. He's the guy I want back the most.

Would have loved to kept DJ Steward for another year. I'd take him 10/10 times over Trevor Keels. DJ Steward has 1st Team All-ACC potential, whereas I don't foresee Keels making any of the All-Conference teams. Our frontcourt looks outstanding; the backcourt, on the underhand, is full of questions. We'll be looking at Roach, Keels, and Wendell Moore to shoulder the responsibility of ball-handling duties. Not completely sold on any of them. Moore might have the most potential, but he has the tendency to disappear at times. One of those three guards really needs to emerge if we're going to be an ACC title contender. Kind of seems similar to Carolina's team from this past year, where the backcourt held them back a bit. I think our backcourt should be a bit better than Carolina's, but I also wouldn't be upset if we looked at adding one big-time transfer guard to the rotation. As of now, FSU should be the preseason favorites in the ACC.
Kid and his family are idiots. Not sure of his financial situation, but hope he enjoys the G league and europe. He will get physically abused in the NBA and Europe.

Kid and his family are idiots. Not sure of his financial situation, but hope he enjoys the G league and europe. He will get physically abused in the NBA and Europe.

Thought he could have made a big step forward, perhaps similar to Kira Lewis. It's a tough loss. We're probably a preseason top 5 team with him in the lineup. Now? Idk, maybe borderline top 10. He might be putting himself in a similar situation as Trevon Duval a few years back. There's talent there, for sure. But, he still needs to develop significantly if he's ever going to merit regular minutes in the league.

Technically, he could still come back to Duke. NCAA adjusted the rules where you can sign with an agent and still retain your eligibility. I don't expect him to return, but negative evaluations can certainly make a kid change his mind. If he gets a guarantee from a team that they would take him in the 2nd round, he's almost certainly not looking back. Here's something I copied and pasted from a site regarding the agents...

Players can also now return to school after going undrafted without losing eligibility, but only if they participated in the NBA combine.

Under the new rules adopted by the NCAA's board of governors and Division I board of directors, college players are allowed to be represented by agents who are certified by the NBPA and NCAA (the agents must become NCAA-certified no later than Aug. 1, 2020) after any season, so long as they request an "evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee." They must end the relationship if they return to school.

I'm confused. Isn't Steward technically "set for life" since he joined The Brotherhood?

Reactions: Villian07
I’d love to play in Europe for $150k a year. Why do folks act like that’s somehow worse than playing at their favorite school?
The Language, the food, thousands and thousand of miles away from family and friends. Only two USA players on a team.

I’d love to play in Europe for $150k a year. Why do folks act like that’s somehow worse than playing at their favorite school?

I agree, but culture shock is real. Some of those places getting those checks can be an adventure too. Moving at 18 likely by yourself out of the country is a scary venture.

Reactions: cdbearde and Afamu
Thought he could have made a big step forward, perhaps similar to Kira Lewis. It's a tough loss. We're probably a preseason top 5 team with him in the lineup. Now? Idk, maybe borderline top 10. He might be putting himself in a similar situation as Trevon Duval a few years back. There's talent there, for sure. But, he still needs to develop significantly if he's ever going to merit regular minutes in the league.

Technically, he could still come back to Duke. NCAA adjusted the rules where you can sign with an agent and still retain your eligibility. I don't expect him to return, but negative evaluations can certainly make a kid change his mind. If he gets a guarantee from a team that they would take him in the 2nd round, he's almost certainly not looking back. Here's something I copied and pasted from a site regarding the agents...

Players can also now return to school after going undrafted without losing eligibility, but only if they participated in the NBA combine.

Under the new rules adopted by the NCAA's board of governors and Division I board of directors, college players are allowed to be represented by agents who are certified by the NBPA and NCAA (the agents must become NCAA-certified no later than Aug. 1, 2020) after any season, so long as they request an "evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee." They must end the relationship if they return to school.
Duval is a good comparison, but everyone knew Duval wasnt a fan of academics. Not sure about Dj.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I agree, but culture shock is real. Some of those places getting those checks can be an adventure too. Moving at 18 likely by yourself out of the country is a scary venture.
Listen to Robbie Hummel talk about his time in Europe/Russia playing ball. Far from the glamorous lifestyle some may think. Most likely these kids will get better treatment from their college programs then the professional organizations they’ll play for.

Reactions: asindc
That jealous UVA fan has won a title more recently than Duke has?

That sure is a lame argument when card fans bring it up to their rival.

But alas now it’s Strippers and asterisks

The Language, the food, thousands and thousand of miles away from family and friends. Only two USA players on a team.

Are you suggesting that the language and food are a bad thing?

Listen to Robbie Hummel talk about his time in Europe/Russia playing ball. Far from the glamorous lifestyle some may think. Most likely these kids will get better treatment from their college programs then the professional organizations they’ll play for.

Jobs aren’t glamorous anywhere. Doesn’t matter where you work, jobs are jobs and they all have crap you have to deal with.

But so does being a student athlete. It’s not the glamorous life that some like to make it out to be. I had a chance to go back for a 5th season because I redshirted one season. I wasn’t the best on the team but I participated in all major competitions, including ACC championships. I was even ACC Honorable Mention one year.

And I said no to the 5th year because I was just ready to move on and start my life. And that wasn’t in a year when I was isolated away from most of the campus, not getting as much training and development as normal, and having to go through protocol testing multiple times a week.

Jobs aren’t glamorous anywhere. Doesn’t matter where you work, jobs are jobs and they all have crap you have to deal with.

But so does being a student athlete. It’s not the glamorous life that some like to make it out to be. I had a chance to go back for a 5th season because I redshirted one season. I wasn’t the best on the team but I participated in all major competitions, including ACC championships. I was even ACC Honorable Mention one year.

And I said no to the 5th year because I was just ready to move on and start my life. And that wasn’t in a year when I was isolated away from most of the campus, not getting as much training and development as normal, and having to go through protocol testing multiple times a week.
I’d rather be isolated on a college campus than in a foreign country thousands of miles away from my friends and family. But I get your point.

Reactions: asindc
I’d rather be isolated on a college campus than in a foreign country thousands of miles away from my friends and family. But I get your point.
You left out the getting paid 6 figures part. for 100k you can give me a mud hut in Africa for a year.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Do taxes all of a sudden not exist?
Wtf are we even talking about at this point. Yes taxes exist. What does that have to do with playing college for “free” verses going overseas and getting paid to play.

Taxes overseas so steep you’d rather play amateur and not get a paycheck than go get 6 figures in another country bc you have to pay taxes. I’m just not following.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT