ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

Wow. No thanks. I get that here.
Good for you. I don’t, I’m in my 30s and don’t make half of that in a year. Everyone’s situation is different.

hence why calling a kid and his family “idiots” bc he wants to start making paychecks, other than come back to your beloved duke(with no intention of getting a degree regardless), is an idiotic stance.

Wtf are we even talking about at this point. Yes taxes exist. What does that have to do with playing college for “free” verses going overseas and getting paid to play.

Taxes overseas so steep you’d rather play amateur and not get a paycheck than go get 6 figures in another country bc you have to pay taxes. I’m just not following.
Dude like I’ve said. Playing for “six figures” is misleading and really dependent on where you get to play. Is it worth for the premier leagues in Europe? Probably. But the majority of these leagues these teams have a fraction of the facilities, amenities, support, health care that a college team has. You’re just some dude over in fvcking Slovenia. You’re a star on a college campus.
And whatever beef you have with the college model, you can’t deny these kids get damn near every amenity they need or could want.

Europe is not for everyone, especially an 18/19 year old kid in a foreign country ALONE playing against grown men every day. Probably playing for a coach that doesn’t speak your language and a support staff that makes you bag your own ice from the vending machine down the hall in the arena that’s used for a pro volleyball league when you’re not playing. Oh, and you have to put the nets back up after games and practices. Give me the college experience all day every day.

Reactions: Villian07
Wtf are we even talking about at this point. Yes taxes exist. What does that have to do with playing college for “free” verses going overseas and getting paid to play.

Taxes overseas so steep you’d rather play amateur and not get a paycheck than go get 6 figures in another country bc you have to pay taxes. I’m just not following.

Honestly, a lot of them get stipends for housing or what not that compensate for taxes. I know a few guys who ball in Europe. It’s a job like any other but definitely better than something like minor league baseball.

Justin Powell to Tennessee. Good get.

Really nice addition for them.

These in-conference transfers feel a little weird. I’d imagine they’re going to happen far more frequently going forward now that there aren’t additional penalties (sitting out an additional year, or even a single year).

Really nice addition for them.

These in-conference transfers feel a little weird. I’d imagine they’re going to happen far more frequently going forward now that there aren’t additional penalties (sitting out an additional year, or even a single year).
Part of me hates the new transfer culture, but part of me loves the fact that you’re going to get more mid-majors with top end talent, and the storylines will be outstanding with these in-conference transfers.

Part of me hates the new transfer culture, but part of me loves the fact that you’re going to get more mid-majors with top end talent, and the storylines will be outstanding with these in-conference transfers.

You make a good point.

But the biggest for me is that for decades the NCAA has said that student athletes must be treated just like other students. Except that other students can transfer all the time and have no academic penalty, but a student athlete had to sit out because potato.

I just don’t believe in restricting people from moving or pursuing a new path.

Reactions: dukedevilz

played overseas a couple years. unless you are elite, you most likely wont wind up making great money in spain or italy or somewhere awesome. hope you like iran, the far north, possibly even russia or mid south america...and six figures is better than college for nothing from that standpoint but going somewhere that no one speaks your language and is kind of a shitty place aint great, and 100k isnt really that much tbh

Reactions: B-Westy and sgrooms

I hate most everything about it, even though Louisville has been very successful in the transfer market in years past.

I don’t mind the GT so much as a reward to complete into your degree, but with all the free for all majors I feel like we will rarely every see conderella runs in March, bc they players that would be doing it have already transfered upto P5.

imagine being a mid major coach and “discovering” a kid like ja morant or Preston even from ohio, and then as soon as he has a good few games he would be able to leave for a better program. Obv Morant went pro so not an apt conpirison.

I just think it makes it super unfair for the mid majors. But I mean it the world, it’s the have and the have nots, so while terrible for the mid major programs it would be great for the programs. Do wonder about it creating a quitting attitude, but gonna be hard to quantify.

Last edited:
played overseas a couple years. unless you are elite, you most likely wont wind up making great money in spain or italy or somewhere awesome. hope you like iran, the far north, possibly even russia or mid south america...and six figures is better than college for nothing from that standpoint but going somewhere that no one speaks your language and is kind of a shitty place aint great, and 100k isnt really that much tbh

I guess the real question is would you trade playing basketball wherever for how much ever $$$$$ for working a “real 9 to 5” in America in a factory or construction or any minimum wager job. Or do you regret it?

Bc that’s the comparison really, it may not be Easy street but it’s better than that real world ish, or people just wouldnt do it.

but yes duly noted some of those places could be absolute nightmares, esp with culture shock, language barrier etc. Idk I guess it always sounds easier if you’ve never done it. I was just looking at the financials of what I make and not the averages and stuff. I wish I lived in a world where 100k wasn’t much 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk4177
I guess the real question is would you trade it for working in America in a factory or construction or any minimum wager job.

Bc that’s the comparison really, it may not be East street but it’s better than that real world ish, or people just wouldnt do it.
no doubt, im not saying its not the right or better thing for someone. its just not as simple as go anywhere and make 100k, nothing else matters. but for a lot of guys its definitely the better option

Reactions: Villian07
KU offered Christian Bishop. Seems very likely he’s going to KU.

Joseph Yesefu transferring. KU reached out to him. Would be a big pick up for any team as a scoring PG.

Reactions: Dirk4177
KU offered Christian Bishop. Seems very likely he’s going to KU.

It's going to be hard to figure out KU's rotation if they sign him and a top guard.

I'm assuming they plan to redshirt at least one freshman.

UNLV got 3 former 4-stars so far. Former OK's Victor U look like a defensive menace. Royce Hamm looks helluva good too.

Seton Hall has picked up Syracuse's Kadary Richmond and USF's Alexis Yetna. Two very solid pickups.

Miami's Chris Lykes is going to Arkansas

USF's Michael Durr is going to Virginia Tech (9 ppg, 8 reb)

Good for you. I don’t, I’m in my 30s and don’t make half of that in a year. Everyone’s situation is different.

hence why calling a kid and his family “idiots” bc he wants to start making paychecks, other than come back to your beloved duke(with no intention of getting a degree regardless), is an idiotic stance.
You just dont get it do you. He proved nothing this year. Only that he was inconsistent and got taken advantage of by bigger guards. He isnt an NBA PG and is not big enough to be a 2, so he might get a paycheck for a year, but he wont last. Stick around and get better. Get drafted higher and make more m oney.

How good is Lykes?
@GE Nole - LOL!

Lykes was a shoot first kinda guy on a really bad team. Undersized with good quicks. He can score, probably hurt you defensively a little like most midgets would.

I think of him as a guy that could be great for you in a 6th man role given the style you guys are playing though. With more talent around him maybe he wouldn't force as much as he chose to do while @ Miami.

Just my thoughts. He does get buckets.

@GE Nole - LOL!

Lykes was a shoot first kinda guy on a really bad team. Undersized with good quicks. He can score, probably hurt you defensively a little like most midgets would.

I think of him as a guy that could be great for you in a 6th man role given the style you guys are playing though. With more talent around him maybe he wouldn't force as much as he chose to do while @ Miami.

Just my thoughts. He does get buckets.
He’s a capable scorer, albeit not overly efficient and obviously lacking in size. Has limitation for sure, but hey, anybody who can put up 15 ppg in a power conference is rarely a bad add.
Thanks! Pretty much what I was thinking. Dude is short but so was the Baylor kid and he killed us.

Reactions: WojoRising
How good is Lykes?

Yeah...not a fan.

If he played like a smaller version of Tyler Ulis he’d be good. But he doesn’t. He plays like a midget version of Lou Williams. Never sees a shot he doesn’t like, loves to take mid range step backs, and can wow you with some acrobatic finish (while a wide open guy plays with his junk in the corner).

Miami had some serious talent a few years back. Lonnie Walker, Bruce Brown, Dewan Huell, the euro sniper. Multiple NBA guys, man. And Lykes would dribble the air out of the ball and put up contested jumpers.

That team got blown out in the 1st round of the ACCT and then upset in the first round of the NCAAT. The next season the Canes lose the two NBA players and promptly go 14-18.

Yeah...not a fan.

If he played like a smaller version of Tyler Ulis he’d be good. But he doesn’t. He plays like a midget version of Lou Williams. Never sees a shot he doesn’t like, loves to take mid range step backs, and can wow you with some acrobatic finish (while a wide open guy plays with his junk in the corner).

Miami had some serious talent a few years back. Lonnie Walker, Bruce Brown, Dewan Huell, the euro sniper. Multiple NBA guys, man. And Lykes would dribble the air out of the ball and put up contested jumpers.

That team got blown out in the 1st round of the ACCT and then upset in the first round of the NCAAT. The next season the Canes lose the two NBA players and promptly go 14-18.
Funny, that’s what I was worried about. He’s going to have a lot around him so maybe he’ll figure it out, but guys like that usually don’t.

How good is Lykes?

He's fast. Very fast. And he has his moments of brilliance. His game against Illinois last year was incredible. Possibly the best individual performance of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. But, not an especially great facilitator. He plays more like a combo guard, IMO. Looks for his own shot first, a little too trigger happy. I do think he is a decent shooter, though, so that helps. But, he's also a liability on defense.

Would do better with Arkansas if he wasn't relied on as a primary scorer.

You just dont get it do you. He proved nothing this year. Only that he was inconsistent and got taken advantage of by bigger guards. He isnt an NBA PG and is not big enough to be a 2, so he might get a paycheck for a year, but he wont last. Stick around and get better. Get drafted higher and make more m oney.

If it was that simple yes. But not everyone who returns improves their draft stock and being a year older is a red flag to the nba. Just bc he would be a better college player doesn’t mean it would make the nba like him anymore. Did the youngest jones kid who returned for his soph season vault up the draft boards after coming back for his soph year? (I’m asking I have no clue other than he wasn’t a high draft pick iirc)

Honestly, a lot of them get stipends for housing or what not that compensate for taxes. I know a few guys who ball in Europe. It’s a job like any other but definitely better than something like minor league baseball.

Ty. Their acting like playing basketball for a living overseas is worse than working a 9-5 factory job in America.

If it was so terrible, why do college players who aren’t good enough for the nba do it EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

And yes I understand playing in Spain or Italy is loads better than playing in (enter third world country here).

But I also understand getting a paycheck to play a sport is better than 75% of jobs if not more, regardless of location.

Lots of players have committed to schools in the past 24 hours...

-Penn State's Myreon Jones to Florida
-Pitt's Xavier Johnson to Indiana
-Miami's Earl Timberlake to Memphis
-Georgia's Toumani Camara to Dayton
-Vanderbilt's Maxwell Evans to TCU
-Colorado's Dallas Walton to Wake Forest
-SMU's Tyson Jolly to Iona
-Marquette's Kobe McEwen to Weber State

Reactions: GE Nole
^And this is actually the original reason why I created my preseason top 50. The turnover rate is off the charts. Too many players to keep track of. It didn't used to be like this. I thought I would start organizing the rosters so I could actually have some sense of what the teams really looked like. I like watching random games and knowing essentially who every player is.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Tx Tech is already ruining their name

Not releasing Tyson from his LOI could cause major issues.

I just don't get it. Their university is braindead

Now Jaylon Tyson is in the transfer portal. Hasn't even stepped onto campus at Tech.

Would be much easier to release him frim his Letter of Intent. They owe that to him because of the coaching change

Reactions: AU_Gooner
Nimari Burnett from Texas Tech to Bama.
Basketball looking up under Nate Oats.

Reactions: Montana81
ADVERTISEMENT