ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

I mean yea, same here, but ours are mostly meh, who cares.

Looks like yours are a little more talented?

Yeah Morsell had two years and was one of the worst offensive players in the country. Maybe just not a good fit. McKoy showed flashes. Abdul-Rahim is the one that made little sense. He was probably going to have tons of minutes next year but guess he decided he would be better off elsewhere.

Reactions: jwardelt
15293897_0.jpg

Louisville fans, are you mad about losing Pettiford?

Looks like he may have a little Frank Mason in him.

We're kind of past being mad, not to speak for the room. We were mad a few years ago. Now we're mostly numb and just waiting for the next injury for our 10th year SR C.

Pettiford looks like a good one. I think Mack let a few assistants go so a couple guys ended up going back into the recruit pool. No hard feelings hope he has a good career at whatever stops he makes. I have no idea who will be on this team next year.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Was going through my preseason top 150 players, and 10% of these guys have already entered the portal. These are elite players that are logging a lot of minutes (I overvalued a few obviously, such as Grant-Foster). It blows my mind that there are so many starters that are willing to jump ship. Certainly a free season with immediate eligibility incentivizes these types of moves. This is not a normal offseason. I expect quite a few more quality names to go the transfer route, as well. Here are the guys that were in my top 150 that have entered the portal:

14. Oscar Tshiebwe, West Virginia (to Kentucky)
58. Marreon Jackson, Toledo
60. Myreon Jones, Penn State
62. Nate Reuvers, Wisconsin
68. Jayden Gardner, East Carolina
72. Tre Mitchell, Massachusetts
101. Caleb Mills, Houston (to Florida State)
114. Paul Atkinson, Yale (to Notre Dame)
116. Nimari Burnett, Texas Tech
121. Kellan Grady, Davidson (to Kentucky)
133. Chris Lykes, Miami
135. Rocket Watts, Michigan State
139. Mason Faulkner, Western Carolina
147. Tyon Grant-Foster, Kansas
150. Aljami Durham, Indiana

Reactions: WojoRising

I’m not sure what to make of it. Not sure we didn’t cut ties with him and EVDH, I’m not real sure how it played out. We fired the assistants who recruited them then they decommitted. I think Mack wanted transfers bc he thinks we be free of the ncaa hammer until after next season??? I don’t really know.

I texted my buddy the exact same thing when he told me Pettiford to kansas, watch in four years he will be frank mason jr jr.

I don’t know much about his game, seems to be well built and people around him raves about his will to win. Doesn’t appear to be a great shooter and obv doesn’t have great size. Hope he works out for y’all, his recruitment got weird at the end to say the least.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Louisville landed West from Marshall who like half the names in the portal, I’ve never heard of.

Guess David Johnson is nba/g league bound.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-Westy
Really surprised to see Jeffries leave. He's born and raised here and Hardaway did everything possible to keep him in Memphis out of HS. Once a UK commit.

Beat me to it. Both are surprising. Ellis pretty much ran the show, did he not? I’m not sure how much run Jeffries got, don’t follow Memphis too closely, but when I did watch I feel like Ellis was the best guard.

Christian Bishop of Creighton is in the portal. 11 ppg, 6.4 reb, 1 blk, 68% fg. Will be a very nice pickup for whoever gets him. I wonder if his decision to transfer is at all related to McDermott's plantation comment?

Sounds dirty
It wasn’t. I’m not on the staff but allegedly we wanted a transfer that would help immediately as next year might be the last window before the ncaa hammer drops down. Which why gettin shafted out this year hurt even worse.

We fired the two assistants in charge of their recruiting, and it was either a parting of the ways or Pettiford didn’t like his role in the new plan to go after a transfer like West. Idk, I wish him well. I can remember getting excited when we landed Darius perry, a top 50 kid who was wildly inconsistent and never did much in three years here and transfered to UCF and actually had a decent season there. Point being I don’t get to hyped up on kids until they hit the court in a Louisville uniform.

I was excited thatPettiford and evdh were signed with Louisville, but I lost no sleep when they decommitted.

The college basketball season isn't even over yet and we already have 1,124 names in the portal. Last year, the final count was 1,026. March Madness will be followed by April Transfer Recruiting Madness.

Reactions: WojoRising
It wasn’t. I’m not on the staff but allegedly we wanted a transfer that would help immediately as next year might be the last window before the ncaa hammer drops down. Which why gettin shafted out this year hurt even worse.

We fired the two assistants in charge of their recruiting, and it was either a parting of the ways or Pettiford didn’t like his role in the new plan to go after a transfer like West. Idk, I wish him well. I can remember getting excited when we landed Darius perry, a top 50 kid who was wildly inconsistent and never did much in three years here and transfered to UCF and actually had a decent season there. Point being I don’t get to hyped up on kids until they hit the court in a Louisville uniform.

I was excited thatPettiford and evdh were signed with Louisville, but I lost no sleep when they decommitted.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Villian07
Was going through my preseason top 150 players, and 10% of these guys have already entered the portal. These are elite players that are logging a lot of minutes (I overvalued a few obviously, such as Grant-Foster). It blows my mind that there are so many starters that are willing to jump ship. Certainly a free season with immediate eligibility incentivizes these types of moves. This is not a normal offseason. I expect quite a few more quality names to go the transfer route, as well. Here are the guys that were in my top 150 that have entered the portal:

14. Oscar Tshiebwe, West Virginia (to Kentucky)
58. Marreon Jackson, Toledo
60. Myreon Jones, Penn State
62. Nate Reuvers, Wisconsin
68. Jayden Gardner, East Carolina
72. Tre Mitchell, Massachusetts
101. Caleb Mills, Houston (to Florida State)
114. Paul Atkinson, Yale (to Notre Dame)
116. Nimari Burnett, Texas Tech
121. Kellan Grady, Davidson (to Kentucky)
133. Chris Lykes, Miami
135. Rocket Watts, Michigan State
139. Mason Faulkner, Western Carolina
147. Tyon Grant-Foster, Kansas
150. Aljami Durham, Indiana

Aljami Durham (Indiana) has committed to Providence.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I don’t know. Seems like this isn’t a UVA only thing though.
I think this transfer thing hurts you guys quite a bit. Bennet is great at keeping players in the program and developing them into studs year in and year out. If guys leave early into their careers over a lack of PT, then you can’t get the opportunity to do that. Abdur Rahim I’m sure would have been a stud had he stayed.

I guess Bennet with either have to recruit 5 stars or make sure the 4 star players he gets aren’t quitters. I’m sure you guys will be fine but the environment of basketball today relies a lot less on developing talent and more on acquiring it.

Reactions: jhmossy
I think this transfer thing hurts you guys quite a bit. Bennet is great at keeping players in the program and developing them into studs year in and year out. If guys leave early into their careers over a lack of PT, then you can’t get the opportunity to do that. Abdur Rahim I’m sure would have been a stud had he stayed.

I guess Bennet with either have to recruit 5 stars or make sure the 4 star players he gets aren’t quitters. I’m sure you guys will be fine but the environment of basketball today relies a lot less on developing talent and more on acquiring it.

Yeah I definitely agree with you. We’ve actually done pretty well acquiring talent through the transfer process but they also need time in our system for our defense to be elite. Guys like Hauser and Murphy provide an upgrade on offense but the pack line requires continuity. But I also don’t see how Bennett can completely alter his system to accommodate the new transfer rules. This system is going to decimate most mid-major programs and we’re essentially a high major mid-major in our “get old stay old” philosophy.

Reactions: MGC_07
Yeah I definitely agree with you. We’ve actually done pretty well acquiring talent through the transfer process but they also need time in our system for our defense to be elite. Guys like Hauser and Murphy provide an upgrade on offense but the pack line requires continuity. But I also don’t see how Bennett can completely alter his system to accommodate the new transfer rules. This system is going to decimate most mid-major programs and we’re essentially a high major mid-major in our “get old stay old” philosophy.

Yeah, it’s an interesting question. Hamilton has also gravitated toward the get old and stay old mantra. Yes, he likes to supplement it with one lotto pick kind of guy (Jon Isaac, Pat Williams, Scottie Barnes, Matthew Cleveland, etc.) but the foundation of our depth comes from continuity and getting old. Guys like Anthony Polite, Trent Forrest, Malik Osborne, RaiQuan Gray, Terance Mann, etc.

So I’ll be curious to see how schools like UVA and FSU adapt. Although I guess FSU has only lost two transfers in the last 4 years, so I don’t know. Maybe Ham has found a way to do what others haven’t figured out yet? Probably just fluke.

Reactions: jhmossy
Yeah, it’s an interesting question. Hamilton has also gravitated toward the get old and stay old mantra. Yes, he likes to supplement it with one lotto pick kind of guy (Jon Isaac, Pat Williams, Scottie Barnes, Matthew Cleveland, etc.) but the foundation of our depth comes from continuity and getting old. Guys like Anthony Polite, Trent Forrest, Malik Osborne, RaiQuan Gray, Terance Mann, etc.

So I’ll be curious to see how schools like UVA and FSU adapt. Although I guess FSU has only lost two transfers in the last 4 years, so I don’t know. Maybe Ham has found a way to do what others haven’t figured out yet? Probably just fluke.
We haven’t had a transfer since the 2015-2016 season up until this year with Rocket. Some schools just aren’t prone to many transfers.

Kyler Edwards has entered the portal. I wonder how many Texas Tech kids will go that route? And will Beard try to recruit them to Austin?

Reactions: Dirk4177
Kyler Edwards has entered the portal. I wonder how many Texas Tech kids will go that route? And will Beard try to recruit them to Austin?
That will be interesting to watch. One of the mistakes A. Miller made at IU was not bringing McKinley Wright with him from Dayton, not wanting to do that to the Dayton program. Wright transferred anyway, to Colorado.

Oregon's Chandler Lawson is transferring. He had his struggles and with a lot of bigs coming into the program next year, I can understand the move. However, it's a little awkward since Oregon recruited his brother and is part of the 2021 class. It will be interesting to see if Jonathan Lawson ends up in Oregon or if he decides to follow his brother.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Nathaniel Jack FSU transferring. If anyone wants him. 3 point shooter. Probably be deadly somewhere else.

We haven’t had a transfer since the 2015-2016 season up until this year with Rocket. Some schools just aren’t prone to many transfers.

Very true.

Of course right after I typed that, Nate Jack entered the portal from FSU. He’s...ehh. Was like the 11th guy in our rotation. Great stroke from three, but really nothing else he can do at a high major level. He was a JUCO add when we needed more floor spacing but then we got better at it anyway and his role was lost. Nice kid though.

Another head-scratcher. This guy started every game for Illinois. Is he jealous of all the love Curbelo was getting?

ADVERTISEMENT