ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

Your antipathy towards K is amusing. I mean, yes, he certainly can be ruthless and harsh. But, most guys don't transfer because the coach hurt their feelings. They transfer simply due to a lack of playing time.

It is kind of funny when you hear K yell at one of his players on the bench - something like, "Man the f*** up! Don't be a fu**ing p**sy!!" That sort of motivational speech is inspiring.
Calipari's personal favorite is "selfish motherf*cker".

First year in a long time that Duke's opponents shot more FTs than they did. Duke couldn't even make the tourney.
What an idiot. FYI, I have no idea how many FT's UVA shot could care less. How sad your life must be.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Your antipathy towards K is amusing. I mean, yes, he certainly can be ruthless and harsh. But, most guys don't transfer because the coach hurt their feelings. They transfer simply due to a lack of playing time.

It is kind of funny when you hear K yell at one of his players on the bench - something like, "Man the f*** up! Don't be a fu**ing p**sy!!" That sort of motivational speech is inspiring.

I'm talking about the playing time, not his overall poor demeaner and general unlikeability.

I'm talking about the playing time, not his overall poor demeaner and general unlikeability.

Gotcha. Well, somebody has to be the #9 and #10 guy in the rotation. K doesn't completely stack his roster. In 41 years at Duke, only twice has he utilized all 13 scholarships (1991 and 2017). And often we have 1-3 guys on the team that aren't top 100 players. I think he could easily have a team with 10+ players that are top 100 recruits year-after-year. He's sensible enough to know that creates unnecessary tension. Most years it's likely only 7-8 players will receive meaningful minutes. K doesn't promise anyone playing time. He always tells his recruits they'll have to earn their PT.

Every player is different ultimately.

What is tampering?

Someone says Kentucky or whoever is interested not everyone going to jump and leave.

Coaches have to understand their players and show that their program is better.

Brand is a big deal. Players want to play for a school that has a large stage.

I am just happy that we have a coach in Chris Beard who understands that.
People come here to win. If you want to win play for Chris Beard.

Desi Sills leaving Arkansas in favor of Auburn. He lost the starting job to Davonte Davis during the middle of the season, I believe. Crazy how many intraconference transfers we've seen this offseason.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Every player is different ultimately.

What is tampering?

Someone says Kentucky or whoever is interested not everyone going to jump and leave.

Coaches have to understand their players and show that their program is better.

Brand is a big deal. Players want to play for a school that has a large stage.

I am just happy that we have a coach in Chris Beard who understands that.
People come here to win. If you want to win play for Chris Beard.
Haven't seen a fan 180 this hard since Calipari was hired at Kentucky.

Haven't seen a fan 180 this hard since Calipari was hired at Kentucky.
giphy.gif

I would guess Oregon.

I think Kentucky could be the team to beat, if they offered. But, I believe they are prioritizing Marcus Carr and TyTy Washington ahead of him.

TyTy Washington’s list looks like the final report from the fbi sting, except instead of Louisville he has UK on his list.

And no I’m not implying anything, I just find it humorous.

Where is cal gonna play all these guards, mintz, Grady, Carr, Frederick, tyty,

Reactions: dukedevilz
TyTy Washington’s list looks like the final report from the fbi sting, except instead of Louisville he has UK on his list.

And no I’m not implying anything, I just find it humorous.

Where is cal gonna play all these guards, mintz, Grady, Carr, Frederick, tyty,

Right. Which is probably why Harmon doesn't get a UK offer unless Carr and/or TyTy go elsewhere.

Shame we might not get a matchup between two historic frontcourts if Williams leaves.

Haha right. I love Banchero and Williams. Top 5 frontcourt next season? Probably. But, I can't contemplate the idea of Banchero-Williams being a historic frontcourt duo without laughing. I'm certain you're being facetious, so I'm laughing with you.

Reactions: jhmossy
Jaemyn Brakefield is heading home. Will play for Ole Miss next year. SEC is absolutely killing it in the portal.

Reactions: bignish
Shame we might not get a matchup between two historic frontcourts if Williams leaves.

Haha right. I love Banchero and Williams. Top 5 frontcourt next season? Probably. But, I can't contemplate the idea of Banchero-Williams being a historic frontcourt duo without laughing. I'm certain you're being facetious, so I'm laughing with you.

That one actually made me laugh out loud.

I actually know @bignish personally and he's an objectively intelligent person but some of (read: all) his hot takes are absolutely potato.

Just bringing up this great recent post

If Chet's decision is as expected, the game between Duke and the Zags could feature two of the best frontcourts in recent college basketball history.

Timme and Holmgren vs Banchero and Williams

Reactions: dukedevilz
Do y’all not think this will essentially be the end of the mid major Cinderella stories in March. GRad transfers made it hard enough on mid major, now allowing any player to transfer without sitting.

I see it as the beginning of the end for mid majors. I see no way a true mid major could maintain success under this format. Guess we will see.
Good point.

I think you’ll see less and less true down years for top tier programs. Strike on the recruiting trail? Go hard after transfers. Have a bad year? Guys will leave and you can bring in transfers who were successful elsewhere.

I mean look at UK. They missed the tournament, don’t have their typical monster class coming in, had guys transfer out, but they landed some really nice transfers and are more than likely preseason top 15 team.

I said “two of the best frontcourts in recent college basketball history”.

I didn’t exactly say they’d be better than Walton and Kareem.

Not sure why you can’t contemplate it, you love forecasting this stuff.

Are you not sold on Banchero, Williams or both? You’re probably aware that Mark had a BPM of 10 last year, kid’s special. Let’s just hope he comes back.

I think you’ll see less and less true down years for top tier programs. Strike on the recruiting trail? Go hard after transfers. Have a bad year? Guys will leave and you can bring in transfers who were successful elsewhere.

I mean look at UK. They missed the tournament, don’t have their typical monster class coming in, had guys transfer out, but they landed some really nice transfers and are more than likely preseason top 15 team.
Agreed, smaller schools will serve as farm leagues for blue bloods to poach talent.

MSU will still be able to recruit Emoni Bates but be able to pair him a few proven transfers that project as immediate impact starters.

Basically, the big name programs will be outsourcing “player development” to the smaller teams. Lower Power 5 and small conference teams will do the dirty work for the big boys.

To me a player like Sahvir Wheeler did everything he could for Georgia.
Man gave them their first triple double in history.

He said it was hard for him to watch the NCAA Tournament.
He wanted to play there.
He just wants to win. Tired of losing.

Georgia is a big name school and should be taking advantage of the portal.
But Crean is finished there and cannot take advantage of the portal.

The name of the school itself doesn't determine how the portal.is used. The coach does.
Some coaches get it while others don't.
More than that some programs have the energy while others don't.

Smaller schools will for sure struggle to sustain their programs. But, very few of them are regulars in the S16 or beyond anyway. They still have an opportunity to do damage in "one off" form, but their window to build is probably closed though. Smaller programs always at risk of losing their coach, now losing their top players cripples them long-term, agreed.

I didn’t exactly say they’d be better than Walton and Kareem.

Not sure why you can’t contemplate it, you love forecasting this stuff.

Are you not sold on Banchero, Williams or both? You’re probably aware that Mark had a BPM of 10 last year, kid’s special. Let’s just hope he comes back.

I think Banchero and Williams are both phenomenal. Like I said, I think we're a top 5 frontcourt. I think we'd have an excellent shot at having the #2 frontcourt duo. Off the top of my head, Michigan (Diabate & Dickinson) and Kentucky (Collins and Tshiebwe) are two others that would be solid contenders. Gonzaga, however, very well may have the best and second best frontcourt players in America. Williams is a great presence in paint. I think he's probably a better defender in the PnR than CH. He's obviously a very solid rim protector. Holmgren, on the other hand, is a freakishly elite rim protector. He could easily have multiple games with double-digit blocks. And his overall skillset is off the charts. I see Gonzaga having the #1 overall draft pick in next year's draft - coupled with the top returning player in college basketball. That's going to be hard to top.

If I were ranking the top frontcourt players in 2022, pretty sure I'd have Timme and Holmgren 1 & 2, not sure on the order though. Banchero would probably be in the 3-8 range, and Williams might be anywhere from 6-20.

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithPlusOne
ADVERTISEMENT