ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we really sure Purdue is top 3 good? They beat one good team last season and promptly lost to 14 seed North Texas in the tournament. Outside of Ivey, meh.

oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

Are we really sure Purdue is top 3 good? They beat one good team last season and promptly lost to 14 seed North Texas in the tournament. Outside of Ivey, meh.
Yep. They were good enough for top 4 last year. Normal off-season. Healthy start to the season (Ivey foot & Hunter Jr. knee). No covid hang ups mid-season (Stefanovic) & big leaps from Ivey & Edey. And not to mention inserting a “ready to play” 4 star into the 4 spot in place of Gillis. They’re a shoe-in for top 3.

Well, Purdue does return a 1st team all B1G player in Trevion Williams and his backup would likely start for 9 or 10 B1G teams this year (he just averaged 15 and 15 for Canada's silver medal FIBA U19 team). The roster isn't perfect but there are probably less unknowns with Purdue than any other contender.

I see a top 2-3 B1G team but I'll temper national expectations until I see this team play.

Either, I guess. I can see an argument for other teams the deeper I dig.
Nothing is a guarantee in college b-ball but I’m excited to see what Painter does with this roster. It may be his most complete team he’s ever had.

Elite bigs that can score, star guard in Ivey, shooters, good rebounding team, depth, mix of veterans & young guys etc. Just need to put it all together.

I haven’t been this excited in an offseason since the minute before Hummel tore his acl again in 2010 or whatever year that was.

Either, I guess. I can see an argument for other teams the deeper I dig.
I think a projection of top 3 in the conference is clearly reasonable. In terms of top 3 nationally, I haven’t seen any credible preseason rankings that have them that high.

Lol I just thought it was funny that you think this is Painter’s most complete team ever.
I do. Not the most high end talented one. That would still be with the baby boilers. But that team had a couple of weaknesses that this one will not.

No credible backup big, lack of depth, etc. The roster this season doesn’t have any glaring weakness IMO.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I do. Not the most high end talented one. That would still be with the baby boilers. But that team had a couple of weaknesses that this one will not.

No credible backup big, lack of depth, etc. The roster this season doesn’t have any glaring weakness IMO.
In 2017-18 you had a more complete team. Same for the year before in 2016-2017.

Outside of Ivey, your 1-3 positions are nothing special. You are talented and deep at the 4 and 5.

In 2017-18 you had a more complete team. Same for the year before in 2016-2017.

Outside of Ivey, your 1-3 positions are nothing special. You are talented and deep at the 4 and 5.
I think it’s most comparable to 2017-2018. I’d take the 17/18 starting 5 over this upcoming season but I’d much rather have this upcoming season’ s bench.

I think it’s most comparable to 2017-2018. I’d take the 17/18 starting 5 over this upcoming season but I’d much rather have this upcoming season’ s bench.
I’d take the 17/18 team in a heartbeat. In the starting lineup I don’t think there is a single player that is better than their counterpart on the 17/18 team. Cline would be the best guard off the bench, and Haarms was good defensively. Nojel was trash though.

I’d take the 17/18 team in a heartbeat. In the starting lineup I don’t think there is a single player that is better than their counterpart on the 17/18 team. Cline would be the best guard off the bench, and Haarms was good defensively. Nojel was trash though.
I don’t think the players themselves are that comparable to be honest. Ivey & Carsen are way different types of guards for example. Same with Trevion & Haas, Hunter/PJ, Furst/Kaufman/Gillis are going to have a much different role than Vince did, etc.

And I’d have Newman over Cline but I liked Cline so I’m not going to argue too hard. Newman’s ceiling is just much higher. I’d much rather have Edey than Haarms. Same with whoever isn’t starting between Gillis/Kaufman/Furst.

I loved that 17/18 team and do think it’s comparable to this season’s roster. Just built a tad differently.

What other teams could you see an argument for being ahead of them outside of UM and Illinois?
I like Maryland’s roster but a couple of factors to consider.. the unbalanced schedules and also coaching…I like Painter almost as much as any other coach in the league….

I don’t think the players themselves are that comparable to be honest. Ivey & Carsen are way different types of guards for example. Same with Trevion & Haas, Hunter/PJ, Furst/Kaufman/Gillis are going to have a much different role than Vince did, etc.

And I’d have Newman over Cline but I liked Cline so I’m not going to argue too hard. Newman’s ceiling is just much higher. I’d much rather have Edey than Haarms. Same with whoever isn’t starting between Gillis/Kaufman/Furst.

I loved that 17/18 team and do think it’s comparable to this season’s roster. Just built a tad differently.
I didn’t say they were comparable, just that there isn’t a single player on the current team that I would take over their counterpart.

PJ > Hunter
Carsen > Ivey
Mathias > Sasha
Vince > whoever your starting 4 is going to be
Haas > Williams

I agree Newman has a higher ceiling than Cline, but Cline was a more consistent player. I’d take Edey over Haarms as well, but overall, I think the 17/18 team was just flat out better.

The same goes for 16/17 when Swanigan was there as an All American and runner up for POY.

I didn’t say they were comparable, just that there isn’t a single player on the current team that I would take over their counterpart.

PJ > Hunter
Carsen > Ivey
Mathias > Sasha
Haas > Williams

I agree Newman has a higher ceiling than Cline, but Cline was a more consistent player. I’d take Edey over Haarms as well, but overall, I think the 17/18 team was just flat out better.

The same goes for 16/17 when Swanigan was there as an All American and runner up for POY.
I disagree but no point in arguing it, just have to let season play out. That 2017/2018 team had just lost Swanigan the year before, was ranked 20th in preseason FWIW. & I’m more optimistic going into this season than I was that year.

PJ > Hunter
Carsen > Ivey
Mathias > Sasha
Haas > Williams

Look who's a big cline defender now lmaooo

I disagree but no point in arguing it, just have to let season play out. That 2017/2018 team had just lost Swanigan the year before, was ranked 20th in preseason FWIW. & I’m more optimistic going into this season than I was that year.
Preseason ranked 15th the year before with Swanigan. Purdue is no doubt getting a ton of preseason hype this year, but that’s mostly based on everyone thinking Ivey is going to have a monster season.

Purdue may live up to those lofty expectations, but as @Jaycg15 pointed out, their best wins by far last year were both against OSU. They had a very favorable schedule. That doesn’t appear to be the case this year.

@Ingersol

You have Illini in the 3rd tier in the other thread. Behind Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State, Maryland, Michigan State, and Indiana. And in the same tier as Nebraska and Rutgers.

Are you trolling or just that bad at predictions?

PJ > Hunter
Carsen > Ivey
Mathias > Sasha
Haas > Williams

I loved PJ and Haas but I’d easily take Hunter over PJ and would give the nod to Williams too. Williams is a more complete player than Haas.

One thing to think about is the unbalanced schedule. If we go on the assumption that Michigan, Purdue, OSU and Illinois are the class of the Big Ten and Nebraska, PSU, Northwestern and Minnesota are the dogs, below is the single play breakdown:

Michigan - 1 single play against the top class. 3 single plays against the dogs
Purdue - 1 vs top class. 3 vs dogs
Illinois - 1 vs top class. 3 vs dogs.
OSU - 2 vs top class. 1 vs dogs

OSU has a clear advantage by only playing the other top teams 4 times and getting to play the 4 dogs 7 times while the other three have one more "big game" and 2 less "easy games".

Maryland - 2 single plays vs top class. 3 vs dogs
MSU - 2 vs top class. 1 vs dogs
IU - 2 vs top class. 1 vs dogs.
Rutgers - 1 vs top class. 2 vs dogs.

MSU and IU have the advantage, though not as notable as OSU's. Rutgers is most difficult among this group. I may rethink putting them 6th due to this.

The rest of the teams.....who cares. They will all suck.

I loved PJ and Haas but I’d easily take Hunter over PJ and would give the nod to Williams too. Williams is a more complete player than Haas.
Agree here. I’m pretty sure Trojan was making fun of me for liking PJ Thompson like 6 months ago too. Now, he’s clearly better than Hunter lol

Reactions: boiler1987
Agree here. I’m pretty sure Trojan was making fun of me for liking PJ Thompson like 6 months ago too. Now, he’s clearly better than Hunter lol
PJ, while limited, is still a better basketball player than Hunter has been over the course of his career. Hunter is a solid defender, but has been horrendous offensively in 2/3 of his career. He has more turnovers through 3 years (123) than PJ did in 4 years (100). From an offensive perspective it’s not even close.

Hunter is not good. Purdue would be better off starting Ivey at the 1 and inserting Newman at the 3.

As for the Haas/Trevion comparison, I’m not sure how you can argue Williams is a more complete player. Williams is a better passer and rebounder, but that’s pretty much it. Haas was more efficient/dominant in the paint, a much better free throw shooter, and also a much better defender.

PJ, while limited, is still a better basketball player than Hunter has been over the course of his career. Hunter is a solid defender, but has been horrendous offensively in 2/3 of his career. He has more turnovers through 3 years (123) than PJ did in 4 years (100). From an offensive perspective it’s not even close.

Hunter is not good. Purdue would be better off starting Ivey at the 1 and inserting Newman at the 3.

As for the Haas/Trevion comparison, I’m not sure how you can argue Williams is a more complete player. Williams is a better passer and rebounder, but that’s pretty much it. Haas was more efficient/dominant in the paint, a much better free throw shooter, and also a much better defender.
Agree with some of this, but Haas wasn’t a good defender. A bit too slow in tight spaces and overall. Edey is faster at the same size and is a much better defender.

Reactions: KisteK and otte21

Not sure why we’re comparing turnovers since they played vastly different roles. Thompson rarely drove to the basket while Hunter does much more consistently. Of course he’s going to have more turnovers.

Where are you coming up with Haas being a much better defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT