ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact: Michigan lost Iggy Brazdeikas, Charles Matthews, and Jordan Poole going into Howard's 1st season.

Fact: Michigan lost their leading scorer in-season, Isaiah Livers (6 weeks).

Fact: Michigan still out performed their preseason rankings.

Somehow you consider this "under achieving".
Using preseason rankings as a reference point is a bad way to measure performance. That’s just a bunch of guys guessing.

Using preseason rankings as a reference point is a bad way to measure performance. That’s just a bunch of guys guessing.

It shows that Juwan Howard performed above expectations.

He made the claim that Juwan Howard underachieved in his first season. What are other ways to determine if a coach over/under achieved for the season?

Reactions: RichardMassive

He made the claim that Juwan Howard underachieved in his first season. What are other ways to determine if a coach over/under achieved for the season?
It shows that the guys guessing were wrong. Expectations from random rankers is irrelevant. Why does it matter what a small subset of people think? They never are right.

Reactions: flight 33

Beilein would have never finished 9 th in the league….you are the guy that Applauded the Stupid post listing coaches W-L records…maybe we need to reference preseason expectations as a way to see how these coaches performed

Beilein would have never finished 9 th in the league….you are the guy that Applauded the Stupid post listing coaches W-L records…maybe we need to reference preseason expectations as a way to see how these coaches performed

Michigan was ranked and rated higher overall at the end of the season than they were before the season. That is quite literally not the definition of underachieving.

It shows that the guys guessing were wrong. Expectations from random rankers is irrelevant. Why does it matter what a small subset of people think? They never are right.

So what's the best/better way to determine if a team over or under achieves than end of season rankings vs preseason rankings?

3 top 30 teams in 5 years including two separate rebuilds is unimpressive?

I'm cool with just using Kenpom, too.

Finishing 16th in his first season after losing 3 starters (Brazdeikas, Matthews, Poole) and his leading scorer to injury is underachieving?

If Underwood finishing 30th in year 4 is impressive then Howard finishing 16th in year 1 being called "underachieving" is ridiculous.

Michigan was ranked and rated higher overall at the end of the season than they were before the season. That is quite literally not the definition of underachieving.
so you want to use W/L records without context to judge other coaches only….got it

so you want to use W/L records without context to judge other coaches only….got it

I don't care about Underwood. I'm calling out this idea that Howard finishing 16th in his first year as a head coach after taking over a team that lost 3 starters was underachieving. And you keep doubling down on it.

? this you?
Me trolling sheriff and my real beliefs are unrelated.
I'm cool with just using Kenpom, too.

Finishing 16th in his first season after losing 3 starters (Brazdeikas, Matthews, Poole) and his leading scorer to injury is underachieving?

If Underwood finishing 30th in year 4 is impressive then Howard finishing 16th in year 1 being called "underachieving" is ridiculous.
I’m not saying Juwan underachieved. Using preseason rankings is a way to measure, but it’s also a bad way. The only thing it measures is actual performance against uninformed opinions.

Any statistical analysis, while flawed, is immeasurably better.

I’m not saying Juwan underachieved. Using preseason rankings is a way to measure, but it’s also a bad way. The only thing it measures is actual performance against uninformed opinions.

Ok. Kenpom had Michigan 21st preseason. Michigan finished 16th.

I don't care about Underwood. I'm calling out this idea that Howard finishing 16th in his first year as a head coach after taking over a team that lost 3 starters was underachieving. And you keep doubling down on it.
He finished 9 th in the big ten…

These Illini potatoes need to go back to their homoboards

shanties-shooter.gif

Ok. Kenpom had Michigan 21st preseason. Michigan finished 16th.
I’m not arguing the premise. Juwan has done well.
The arguments that keep appearing that are using prognostications as the basis are weak. The Houstan draft pick position was another.

Then exactly how do you measure if a coach underachieved/overachieved?

If AP voters and coaches are uninformed---then exactly who is informed?

What system do you use to determine if a team has underachieved/overachieved?

Then exactly how do you measure if a coach underachieved/overachieved?

If AP voters and coaches are uninformed---then exactly who is informed?

What system do you use to determine if a team has underachieved/overachieved?
There is no other real way to measure. It was a stupid post, but hell try to save face 🥴😂😂

Reactions: IUfanBorden

I'll ask again---If coaches/media(AP) are uninformed---then exactly who IS informed?

There are no statistical analysis in the preseason---so how the **** can you use that?

I have to assume you are trolling(Hail)? If not----Holy smoke....

Reactions: GOO_HAM
I'll ask again---If coaches/media(AP) are uninformed---then exactly who IS informed?

There are no statistical analysis in the preseason---so how the **** can you use that?

No one is informed because no games have been played. It’s all speculation with limited information to support it and contains biases. Preseason rankings are so often wrong that they should never be used to define performance relative to expectation.

Kenpom tries to put forth an objective analysis but even it is wrong frequently.

No one is informed because no games have been played. It’s all speculation with limited information to support it and contains biases. Preseason rankings are so often wrong that they should never be used to define performance relative to expectation.

Kenpom tries to put forth an objective analysis but even it is wrong frequently.

If someone said X underachieved, what do you think is the best way to evaluate if that’s a fair statement or not?

People need to accept it for what it is. Quit thinking people can predict the future.

If someone said X underachieved, what do you think is the best way to evaluate if that’s a fair statement or not?
The best way? Wait until the season ends and then compare the talent and experience level to the results while factoring in injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaycg15

Surely you understand that there’s such thing as predictive modeling which is more informed than the gut feel of guys that only have a tenuous grasp on the majority of teams? Holy smokes this is the thesis of boomer ignorance.

There is no other real way to measure. It was a stupid post, but hell try to save face 🥴😂😂
You two combining forces in an attempt to approach a triple digit iq should be fun to watch. Of course Borden reached that alone, but adding you in the mix makes that nearly unattainable.

If we’re going from a purely subjective standpoint, that’s certainly better than evaluating against a blindfolded guess.

Yes I can’t wait to argue about each player on Michigan’s roster with your homoboarders trying to come to a conclusion on each players talent level for the year. Then be told it doesn’t matter if that player missed 6 weeks.

Reactions: GOO_HAM
Yes I can’t wait to argue about each player on Michigan’s roster with your homoboarders trying to come to a conclusion on each players talent level for the year. Then be told it doesn’t matter if that player missed 6 weeks.
And therein lies why it is imperfect. Illinois fans have biases....as do you. And they are nearly impossible to exclude when making that determination.

No one who frequents this thread has zero bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT