ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last 4 seasons that had a tournament, Purdue has 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite Eight. Recruiting is on an uptick. No guarantee that Purdue sees more Elite Eights or a Final Four but I feel pretty good about our being as successful as UM and MSU over the next 5 years.
Recruiting is on an uptick? Who are your last 4 commits again?

In the last 4 seasons that had a tournament, Purdue has 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite Eight. Recruiting is on an uptick. No guarantee that Purdue sees more Elite Eights or a Final Four but I feel pretty good about our being as successful as UM and MSU over the next 5 years.
I think there’s a good chance you have a better next 5 years than we do. I really like our class this year, but Painter has you guys rolling.

The other thing to keep in mind when looking at future success and recruiting, is the NIL rules. Certain schools will have an advantage in what they can offer recruits.

The other thing to keep in mind when looking at future success and recruiting, is the NIL rules. Certain schools will have an advantage in what they can offer recruits.
I would think UM and OSU get the biggest boost from it.

I would think UM and OSU get the biggest boost from it.
I think that depends. They are both football and basketball schools, so their resources will have to be used between both sports. At a place like IU basketball is king and will get the majority of the booster advertising $$$.

We had just been to a final four. A conference championship isn't nothing. A virtual national championship isn't nothing. You're projecting a whole lot on Underwood. Let's see how it plays out. We aren't going anywhere.
Underwood has been highly successful at each stop along the way. It's not projection. He was one of the winningest coaches in history his first 4 seasons, turned a 12-win OKSt team into a 20-win tournament team, took a despondent Illinois program into a 1-seed in 4 seasons after gutting the team following his first season. Gard's fine. He's a top half Big Ten coach, nothing more, nothing less.

illini fans probably still think hes coming back
Now do Ayo saying the same thing and returning. Then do Kofi doing the same thing last season and returning.

The guy wants to play pro ball, but what he's saying publicly and privately aren't the same thing. If he can get a better offer than what he can get at Illinois, he'll leave. If not, he's back. I'd put the odds under 50%, but he's still discussing returning with our staff.

Underwood has been highly successful at each stop along the way. It's not projection. He was one of the winningest coaches in history his first 4 seasons, turned a 12-win OKSt team into a 20-win tournament team, took a despondent Illinois program into a 1-seed in 4 seasons after gutting the team following his first season. Gard's fine. He's a top half Big Ten coach, nothing more, nothing less.
Underwood has a lot to prove in non-illini fan eyes. No ayo or my cock is burning to bail him out this coming year. Bragging about a 20 win tournament team? That's very very Iowa-esque.

Underwood has a lot to prove in non-illini fan eyes. No ayo or my cock is burning to bail him out this coming year. Bragging about a 20 win tournament team? That's very very Iowa-esque.
rdlol.gif

Now do Ayo saying the same thing and returning. Then do Kofi doing the same thing last season and returning.

The guy wants to play pro ball, but what he's saying publicly and privately aren't the same thing. If he can get a better offer than what he can get at Illinois, he'll leave. If not, he's back. I'd put the odds under 50%, but he's still discussing returning with our staff.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

the illini delusion remains real

UW in the last decade is top tier. Purdue isn't close really.
I mean, UW obviously had much better tourney runs, but it's not that far apart aside from those 2 seasons.

R1R2S16E8F4NC
3​
2​
2​
1​
0​
0​
2​
1​
4​
0​
1​
1​
KenPomWLCon WCon L
31​
253​
128​
128​
75​
19​
266​
118​
133​
69​

I mean, UW obviously had much better tourney runs, but it's not that far apart aside from those 2 seasons.

R1R2S16E8F4NC
3​
2​
2​
1​
0​
0​
2​
1​
4​
0​
1​
1​
KenPomWLCon WCon L
31​
253​
128​
128​
75​
19​
266​
118​
133​
69​
March is all that matters, or so I've been told. Who's last decade would you rather have?

Underwood has been named on many a top coaching lists. I think that's limited to your opinion of him. And I'd gladly take the bet that we'll finish above Wisconsin again.

Reactions: Archetype19
March is all that matters, or so I've been told. Who's last decade would you rather have?
I said Wisconsin's was better because of Bo. I'd take Purdue's next decade and Wisconsin's last decade.

I said Wisconsin's was better because of Bo. I'd take Purdue's next decade and Wisconsin's last decade.
Gard added two Sweet 16's and conference title. If Purdue keeps choking in the 1st round their next decade will be more of the same.

Underwood has been named on many a top coaching lists. I think that's limited to your opinion of him. And I'd gladly take the bet that we'll finish above Wisconsin again.
We'll just have to wait and see. We could be pretty good or ride the struggle bus. Lot of unknowns but that's what makes it exciting. Looking forward to this season more than any recent one.

Recruiting is on an uptick? Who are your last 4 commits again?

Painter hasn’t consistently recruited this well in his entire Purdue tenure in terms of stacking good classes on top of one another. Starting with the 2020 class, he’s brought in significant talent and it doesn’t look like it’ll let up anytime soon. But sure let’s focus on Smith and Waddell lol.

We'll just have to wait and see. We could be pretty good or ride the struggle bus. Lot of unknowns but that's what makes it exciting. Looking forward to this season more than any recent one.
I just can't wait to attend games.

Reactions: jwardelt
Painter hasn’t consistently recruited this well in his entire Purdue tenure in terms of stacking good classes on top of one another. Starting with the 2020 class, he’s brought in significant talent and it doesn’t look like it’ll let up anytime soon. But sure let’s focus on Smith and Waddell lol.
1 top 50 recruit since 2015 LOL. 2 top 50 recruits since since 2007…. LOL

Doesn’t change what I said. Nice straw man though.
Your recruiting has been the same since Painter got there. 2007 is still far and away your best class. Your 2020 and 2022 classes aren’t anything out of the ordinary. Your 2021 class did feature a top 50 recruit which is a big change for Painter, but we will see if he can keep it up. Last time he got one it took him 6 years to get another. The time before that it took him 8 years.

7th ranked class in the Big Ten and 36th nationally?

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Your recruiting has been the same since Painter got there. 2007 is still far and away your best class. Your 2020 and 2022 classes aren’t anything out of the ordinary. Your 2021 class did feature a top 50 recruit which is a big change for Painter, but we will see if he can keep it up. Last time he got one it took him 6 years to get another. The time before that it took him 8 years.

Convenient how you’re focusing on Top 50 when Furst was 51 lol. I’m sure that wasn’t by accident.

And no the recruiting isn’t the same since Painter got there lol. Getting a top 50 guy from southern Indiana hasn’t happened before (or even anything remotely close to it).

If Kofi and Hunter both return we have a bet, if they both leave we have a bet, if one stays and one goes we don’t have a bet.

There.
I'm not referring to Kofi. We're already a top 30 team as is. Need another impact player whether it be Kofi or a different guy to have any chance at competing for a big title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT