ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor is Woodson is already blundering recruitments in Indiana. You hired the basketball equivalent of Lovie Smith. Enjoy.
Lol he has a looooong way to go before being Lovie Smith bad. I mean Lovie Smith was ALMOST John Groce bad….

But yea, Woodson offering a borderline high major player that is essentially already committed while not offering the better in state players is a bad look.

Reactions: cmore79
Lol he has a looooong way to go before being Lovie Smith bad. I mean Lovie Smith was ALMOST John Groce bad….

But yea, Woodson offering a borderline high major player that is essentially already committed while not offering the better in state players is a bad look.
He's exactly Lovie Smith in that he has no real grasp on the dynamics of college recruiting. At least he has some competent ACs, but navigating the recruiting scene is extremely important, and it matters a lot in a setting like Indiana. I'm sure he's a better in-game coach than Lovie because who isn't?

He's exactly Lovie Smith in that he has no real grasp on the dynamics of college recruiting. At least he has some competent ACs, but navigating the recruiting scene is extremely important, and it matters a lot in a setting like Indiana. I'm sure he's a better in-game coach than Lovie because who isn't?
If Mike Woodson is going to grow a sweet gray beard, I fully support him in that endeavor

Rumor is Woodson is already blundering recruitments in Indiana. You hired the basketball equivalent of Lovie Smith. Enjoy.
There are Indiana posters that think he’s playing 4-D chess and just trying to fvck with Purdue. Lmao

orrrrr maybe they just hired a guy that’s never recruited in his life & doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Reactions: Jaycg15
He has great ACs and Thad Matta. He’s already landed a 5*, so it’s not like he can’t recruit.

There is also a chance that the Colvins misunderstood and didn’t really get offer (Nojel Eastern/ Michigan situation). The good news is that this issue is in the 2023 class, so there is still over a year to smooth things over.

There are Indiana posters that think he’s playing 4-D chess and just trying to fvck with Purdue. Lmao

orrrrr maybe they just hired a guy that’s never recruited in his life & doesn’t know what he’s doing.
Thad Matta, Dane Fife, and Kenya Hunter don’t know what they are doing when it comes to recruiting? LOL

Thad Matta, Dane Fife, and Kenya Hunter don’t know what they are doing when it comes to recruiting? LOL
Idk, I said Woodson didn’t. They had laid out a clear plan for how the process was going to work and need to visit first to get an offer (like Beilein used to always do) and then Woodson really liked what he saw from Colvin in person and threw out an offer that apparently pissed some others off since that went against what they staff had been saying all along.

Just think it’s hilarious we’re already hearing about little blunders like this already. Can’t wait for what the future holds.

National guys seem to be just off on the state of Michigan recently, it takes them some time to get it right. Last years class was really underrated to start the cycle but the national guys seemed to finally figure it out by the end.

Ty Rodgers is not a top 50 recruit right now. His teammate in highschool, RJ Taylor, is arguably more impactful for his teams success. You can’t be a wing ranked in the top 50 without a really solid handle or jumper, and Rodgers just really hasn’t shown either. The guy has potential, great athlete and a great competitor. If he develops in those areas he could very well be a top 50 guy. That ranking just feels a bit generous right now.
Yep the national guys at 247 said he was going have to play better to maintain his lofty ranking. He’s still wearing that massive knee brace. Msu and um coaches clearly have tarris reed above him on their boards.

Reactions: MGC_07
There is also a chance that the Colvins misunderstood and didn’t really get offer (Nojel Eastern/ Michigan situation). The good news is that this issue is in the 2023 class, so there is still over a year to smooth things over.
Don’t think so bub:
jNWuXNe.png

This probably makes me a bad fan (I don’t really care), but I don’t give a fvck if he messes up recruiting. They’re going to be a much more ingestible product under Woodson than Arch.

Obviously, that’s not a high bar, but just running an up tempo offense that looks maybe sometimes competent is going to be a nice change of pace. Even the big games IU won in the Archie era weren’t exactly fun to watch. They were rock fights. I’m just looking forward to not that

Yep the national guys at 247 said he was going have to play better to maintain his lofty ranking. He’s still wearing that massive knee brace. Msu and um coaches clearly have tarris reed above him on their boards.
With the next ratings adjustment I expect Reed to be ahead of Rodgers.

Who does UM feel great about in this class?

Idk, I said Woodson didn’t. They had laid out a clear plan for how the process was going to work and need to visit first to get an offer (like Beilein used to always do) and then Woodson really liked what he saw from Colvin in person and threw out an offer that apparently pissed some others off since that went against what they staff had been saying all along.

Just think it’s hilarious we’re already hearing about little blunders like this already. Can’t wait for what the future holds.
Lol Woodson has already landed as many 5* recruits as Painter has in his 17 years. Recruiting will never be an issue at IU. It remains to be seen whether or not he has the in game coaching skill set for this level though.

Give me another year before I put Howard in there, but he’s trending in that direction with Painter and Izzo.

He won national coach of the year in year 2 and has the #1 class in the country in year 3. I think putting him in the top tier of conference coaches is more than fair. Those three are locks IMO. It was more a question of does it extend to the next two?

Lol Woodson has already landed as many 5* recruits as Painter has in his 17 years. Recruiting will never be an issue at IU. It remains to be seen whether or not he has the in game coaching skill set for this level though.

I could take over at IU tomorrow and wouldn’t have trouble landing a 5* recruit. Painter at IU would be dangerous from a recruiting perspective combined with his coaching ability.

Didn’t Rabby confirm the offer was legit?
Bragging about any IU coach landing a 5* is odd. Shit didn’t Archie land 3?
Apparently he did, but I never saw it. Luckily the Purdue fans monitor our board more closely than we do.

Purdue posters are trying to insinuate Woodson is messing up in recruiting. The point I was making is that it’s impossible to mess up when recruiting to a place like IU. It recruits itself. With that being said, we should take away Colvin’s offer assuming he got one.

I could take over at IU tomorrow and wouldn’t have trouble landing a 5* recruit. Painter at IU would be dangerous from a recruiting perspective combined with his coaching ability.
I agree. So why are Purdue posters trying to say Woodson is a poor recruiter?

I agree. So why are Purdue posters trying to say Woodson is a poor recruiter?

Because of what literally just happened the other day lol. Offering Colvin caused issues. He’s new so he’ll get a pass but he can’t do shit like that lol.

He won national coach of the year in year 2 and has the #1 class in the country in year 3. I think putting him in the top tier of conference coaches is more than fair. Those three are locks IMO. It was more a question of does it extend to the next two?
So, he's Tom Crean?

I'm less concerned about bringing in highly ranked players and more concerned with implementing a system bringing in highly ranked players who can thrive in said system.

Reactions: boiler1987
How many coaches are in the first tier of big ten coaches now and going forward? Howard Painter Izzo are locks. Holtman and Underwood have cases.
Why does Howard get bumped into tier one but Underwood and Holtman only have cases? This is a media perception issue.

Holtman past 2 years: 42-20 (23-17)
Howard past 2 years: 42-17 (24-13)
Underwood past 2 years: 45-17 (29-11)

Because of what literally just happened the other day lol. Offering Colvin caused issues. He’s new so he’ll get a pass but he can’t do shit like that lol.
So what's the big deal with that? I honestly have no idea what's going on. I quit bothering with recruiting and premium boards they became awful and pointless fodder.

It’s a small blip in a class that hasn’t even entered their Junior year yet. There is literally two recruits put off by it. Offering Colvin was a mistake on many fronts, but it really isn’t that big of a deal.

Why does Howard get bumped into tier one but Underwood and Holtman only have cases? This is a media perception issue.

Holtman past 2 years: 42-20 (23-17)
Howard past 2 years: 42-17 (24-13)
Underwood past 2 years: 45-17 (29-11)

In just year 2 Howard made it further in the NCAA Tournament than either Ohio State or Illinois has done since 2013. That matters.

So does bringing in the #1 recruiting class in the country.

Those things are relevant.

I said he’s trending there but some longevity would lock him in there with Izzo and Painter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT