ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say more so Mike Davis.
Kind of a cross between the 2. Crean could recruit and Davis had one run in the tournament.

He might get to Izzo/Painter level (damn promising start) but I don't think his record is long enough to suggest that is the case. Thus far, he's closer to Holtmann and Underwood IMO.

I said he’s trending there but some longevity would lock him in there with Izzo and Painter.

Agree to disagree. Howard did in one season what it took Painter a decade to do (get past the sweet 16). He’s shown he can recruit and he’s shown he can coach. Going forward he’s in the top tier IMO.

In just year 2 Howard made it further in the NCAA Tournament than either Ohio State or Illinois has done since 2013. That matters.

So does bringing in the #1 recruiting class in the country.

Those things are relevant.
So one Sweet Sixteen win trumps everything to you. You are entitled to that opinion but I can't go that far just yet.

So one Sweet Sixteen win trumps everything to you. You are entitled to that opinion but I can't go that far just yet.

Where I said I say sweet 16 trumps everything?

I’m putting them in the same tier. Howard won the Big Ten championship and made the Elite 8 in his second year. He won at least one national coach of the year award. Now he brings in the #1 class in the country.

I don’t see why it’s a stretch to say he’s on Izzo/Painter level going forward.

Agree to disagree. Howard did in one season what it took Painter a decade to do (get past the sweet 16). He’s shown he can recruit and he’s shown he can coach. Going forward he’s in the top tier IMO.
That’s fine. I think most want to see him do it more, just to make sure it’s not a blip on the radar.

Izzo should be in a tier of his own. No current coach is close to his coaching resume.

The question I posed isn’t lifetime coaching resume. It’s current outlook and going forward. Izzo is approaching 70. Painter and Howard are a lot younger and have similar results recently.

Illinois top 6 last 20?
Must not be familiar with the early 2000s which Illinois was the best team in the conference. There aren't 5 other schools that did as much.

MSU
Wisconsin
Michigan
OSU
Purdue

And before you go straight homeboarder:

Illinois won 32 more games over that time frame, won 15 more conference games, finished ranked 3 more times, won more tourney games, appeared in more tournaments, finished higher in standings 10x (tied 3x), and beat you 55% of the time.

Has he? His first 2 years he took Bo Ryan rosters to the S16 and then nothing. Highest seed in the tournament has been a 4 and he lost round 1.
He's beat a 1 and 2 seed. Two sweet 16's. Conference title. Coach of the year. Virtual national championship. Not really close.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
He's beat a 1 and 2 seed. Two sweet 16's. Conference title. Coach of the year. Virtual national championship. Not really close.
Bruce Weber did that shit too, and now look at him. Gard's settled into his spot at about 5th or 6th best coach (in a conference full of good coaches) once he recruited his own guys.

Reactions: CO_hawk
Where I said I say sweet 16 trumps everything?

I’m putting them in the same tier. Howard won the Big Ten championship and made the Elite 8 in his second year. He won at least one national coach of the year award. Now he brings in the #1 class in the country.

I don’t see why it’s a stretch to say he’s on Izzo/Painter level going forward.
If UM backs up this season by another season of just not disappointing and being a really good team I think everyone will have an easier time putting him there. It’s hard to put a guy up
there when he has 1 season, a very good season, but 1 season of being an elite team.

I think after this season, which should be a very good season for UM, there will be less debate about him being up there.

Reactions: RichardMassive
Bruce Weber did that shit too, and now look at him. Gard's settled into his spot at about 5th or 6th best coach once he recruited his own guys in a conference full of good coaches.
Bo Ryan didn't make a final four til year 14 or w/e it was. Gard at 5/6 is fine. Underwood has done nothing to move ahead.

Kind of a cross between the 2. Crean could recruit and Davis had one run in the tournament.

He might get to Izzo/Painter level (damn promising start) but I don't think his record is long enough to suggest that is the case. Thus far, he's closer to Holtmann and Underwood IMO.
I'm just saying as far as stepping into a comfy situation and making a tournament run with the previous coaches players.

Bo Ryan didn't make a final four til year 14 or w/e it was. Gard at 5/6 is fine. Underwood has done nothing to move ahead.
Bo Ryan inherited a mediocre program and turned it into a program at the top of the class of the Big Ten. Gard got handed a decent roster with Ethan Happ as a freshman, Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig, took them to two S16s and has since downgraded the program. Bo Ryan had already made an E8 at this point in his tenure.

I don't think many people given the option would choose Greg Gard if they could get Underwood.

If UM backs up this season by another season of just not disappointing and being a really good team I think everyone will have an easier time putting him there. It’s hard to put a guy up
there when he has 1 season, a very good season, but 1 season of being an elite team.

I think after this season, which should be a very good season for UM, there will be less debate about him being up there.

Would you bet on on Izzo over Howard for tournament wins over the next 4-5 seasons?

The question I posed isn’t lifetime coaching resume. It’s current outlook and going forward. Izzo is approaching 70. Painter and Howard are a lot younger and have similar results recently.
The last 4 years Izzo has a final 4 and 3 Big Ten Championships. I get he is on his way out and Howard looks like he will be great for years to come, but Izzo, imo, deserves his own tier at least at this point.

Reactions: MGC_07
Bo Ryan inherited a mediocre program and turned it into a program at the top of the class of the Big Ten. Gard got handed a decent roster with Ethan Happ as a freshman, Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig, took them to two S16s and has since downgraded the program. Bo Ryan had already made an E8 at this point in his tenure.

I don't think many people given the option would choose Greg Gard if they could get Underwood.
We had just been to a final four. A conference championship isn't nothing. A virtual national championship isn't nothing. You're projecting a whole lot on Underwood. Let's see how it plays out. We aren't going anywhere.

I'm just saying as far as stepping into a comfy situation and making a tournament run with the previous coaches players.

Which previous coaches players on our tournament run would that be? Mike Smith, Chaundee Brown, and Hunter Dickinson were all new this year. We were supposed to take a step back after losing Simpson and Teske according to most people. The roster was pretty mixed.

The last 4 years Izzo has a final 4 and 3 Big Ten Championships. I get he is on his way out and Howard looks like he will be great for years to come, but Izzo, imo, deserves his own tier at least at this point.

Last year he missed the NCAAT field of 64 and turns 67 this season.

Last year he missed the NCAAT field of 64 and turns 67 this season.
Cool? He had a down year. He still has accomplished more in the last 4 years than any other coach in the league, and it’s really not even close.

I absolutely hate Izzo, but the results are quite clear.

Cool? He had a down year. He still has accomplished more in the last 4 years than any other coach in the league, and it’s really not even close.

I absolutely hate Izzo, but the results are quite clear.

This is about now and going forward. I think Michigan and Purdue have at least a similar outlook over the next several years.

This is about now and going forward. I think Michigan and Purdue have at least a similar outlook over the next several years.
It doesn't take much to derail a season. Teams surprise and have a good year, others expected to do well take a shit. It's just talk at this point. A lot can and will happen moving forward. much of it not expected.

Illinois loses Kofi, Ayo, and Miller from a team that couldn’t get past the round of 32? Not looking good for them.
tenor.gif

And everyone else's that isn't an Illini fan

Eh. They don’t recruit like MSU or Michigan and have only been passed the sweet 16 3 times in the last 41 years. I’d keep them solidly in second tier as they have been.
Regular season they’re as good as anybody, but the lack of success in March compared to the other two I think makes them 1B to MSU and UM’s 1A of the past decade or so.

Eh. They don’t recruit like MSU or Michigan and have only been passed the sweet 16 3 times in the last 41 years. I’d keep them solidly in second tier as they have been.
Yea, they've choked quite a few times in the tourney when they probably shouldn't have either.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Regular season they’re as good as anybody, but the lack of success in March compared to the other two I think makes them 1B to MSU and UM’s 1A of the past decade or so.
UW in the last decade is top tier. Purdue isn't close really.

In the last 4 seasons that had a tournament, Purdue has 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite Eight. Recruiting is on an uptick. No guarantee that Purdue sees more Elite Eights or a Final Four but I feel pretty good about our being as successful as UM and MSU over the next 5 years.

In the last 4 seasons that had a tournament, Purdue has 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite Eight. Recruiting is on an uptick. No guarantee that Purdue sees more Elite Eights or a Final Four but I feel pretty good about our being as successful as UM and MSU over the next 5 years.

Side bet tournament wins in that span? I think all three are on tier one but if you really think Michigan is a tier below then let’s bet

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT